HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A team to watch out for!

Old
06-01-2009, 06:33 PM
dustyrockon

vCash: 500
A team to watch out for!

Currently the Phoenix Coyotes have not made the playoffs for 6 seasons. This should not bring down any coyote fans none the less. They have done some good drafting and have some solid talent ready to go. Players like Boedker, Mueller, Turris, Yandle, Hanzal, Tikhonov and Lisin all drafted by phoenix got plenty of ice time this season. This allowed them to get experience under their belt at an NHL level. The Coyotes are a young team to watch out for and have alot going for them in the future.

Peter Mueller
Height: 6-2
Weight: 205
Position: RW/C
Shoots: Right
Born: Apr 14, 1988 - Bloomington, Minnesota
Draft: 2006 - 1st round (8th overall) by the Phoenix Coyotes

Mueller established himself a spot on the Coyotes roster the year he was drafted and recorded 54 points his rookie year. He is viewed as a sort of finesse player but also has the size to add some force to his game.

Martin Hanzal
Height: 6-5
Weight: 218
Position: C/LW
Shoots: Left
Born: Feb 20, 1987 - Pisek, Czechoslovakia
Draft: 2005 - 1st round (17th overall) by the Phoenix Coyotes

Also establishing himself a spot on the Coyotes roster his rookie season, he put up 35 points and came back to join the roster this season. Hes big, is a good skater, and has decent speed. Hes got good puck handling skills and has a good instinct for the game.

Keith Yandle
Height: 6-1
Weight: 195
Position: D
Born: Sep 9, 1986 - Boston, Massachusetts
Draft: 2005 - 4th round (105th overall) by the Phoenix Coyotes

Yandle is a gifted player as an offensive defense man. He loves to join the rush, and has good leadership skills. He is strong on the PP and knows how to pass the puck. He still needs to work on positioning in his own zone.

Mikkel Boedker
Height: 5-11
Weight: 195
Position: LW
Born: Dec 16, 1989 - Brondby, Denmark
Draft: 2008 - 1st round (8th overall) by the Phoenix Coyotes

Boedker played his first season in the NHL this year and put up 17A for 28 points. He has alot of speed and a lot of talent and should develop well in the NHL. He has a good shot and a very quick release. He has what it takes to be a first or second line winger.

Enver Lisin
Weight: 190
Position: RW
Born: Apr 22, 1986 - Moscow, USSR
Draft: 2004 - 2nd round (50th overall) by the Phoenix Coyotes

Enver Lisin was drafted in 2004 so he has been around for 3 years with the Coyotes. He hasn't scored much but when he has hes made it look as if he was a pro. He is very fast and has a very quick shot.

Kyle Turris
Weight: 180
Position: C
Born: Aug 14, 1989 - New Westminster, British Columbia
Draft: 2007 - 1st round (3rd overall) by the Phoenix Coyotes

HockeysFuture has ranked this center at a 9.0B which is one of the highest I have seen in a while. Turris is a dynamic player with great offensive skills. He can handle the puck good and skates well and also has an accurate shot. He is and will be a great top 6 forward.

Victor Tikhanov
Height: 6-2
Weight: 185
Position: RW/C
Born: May 12, 1988 - Moscow, USSR
Draft: 2008 - 1st round (28th overall) by the Phoenix Coyotes

This young Russian player joined the Coyotes also this season for his first rookie season. He put up 16 points in 61 games. Which might not seem like much but this player should go far. With good speed, good vision and a good shot this player can not only score goals but also set up his teammates.

There are obviously other young players on the team but these are the more "outstanding" ones to keep an eye on over the next few seasons. The Phoenix Coyotes are young, talented and should be able to tear it up really soon

With a few players as UFA and RFA's this off season some key players to resign would be...

Enver Lisin
Daniel Winnik
Peter Prucha
Joakium Lindstrom
Scottie Upshall
Nigel Dawes
Keith Yandle
Dmitri Kalinin
Steven Reinprecht

Alot of these players would probably sign on 2 way contracts. (Perhaps Not) Which could allow for some more available cap space.

The younger players have teammates such as Doan, Jovanovski, Reinprecht to look up to as roll models. Perhaps bringing in another veteran forward could be a good idea, or if they were to not sigh Reinprecht bring in another veteran to fill his spot.

The team lacks some depth down on defense and bringing in a few defensive offensive players and/or some solid defense man could have this team rolling. As well as a more solid number one goaltender.

These are just some thoughts on the team, and I'm quite excited to see this team run for the cup in the future. Already having made a bit of a playoff push mid season, they ended up slumping back down. But this should dampen the spirits of any fans thats for sure!

dustyrockon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 06:58 PM
Bandit34

Honestly, I know I think differently than most of the members here, but I'm just not as high on the future success as others. We do have a lot of young players but so does every other team. I'll just give you a look at our division.

Ducks- Their young players include Ryan Getzlaf, James Wisniewski, Corey Perry, Jonas Hiller, Ryan Whitney, and Bobby Ryan. Three of them are already stars in the league. Do you honestly feel that Kyle Turris, Peter Mueller and Martin Hanzal can take Getzlaf, Perry, and Ryan in the future?

Kings- Their younger players include Dustin Brown, Anze Kopitar, Drew Doughty, Alexander Frolov, Oscar Moller, Wayne Simmonds, Brian Boyle, Jonathan Quick, Matt Greene, Jack Johnson and Kyle Quincey. I think we'll be on the same boat as them or them slightly better.

Sharks- Their younger players include Joe Palvelski, Devin Setoguchi, Vlasic, Torrey Mitchell, and Ryane Clowe. But you gotta remember their star players are also in their prime currently and should be around in 5 years.

Stars- Their young players include James Neal, Fabian Brunnstrom, Loui Eriksson, Niklas Grossman, Matt Niskanen, and Trevor Daley.

I hate to come in here and kill the mood but everyone is looking forward to their future. You could make a case for every team on who is going to be the top of the division. It just comes down to development and coaching. You're always going to have your veteran and character guys. Am I sounding reasonable or am I sounding like a drunk baffoon?

Bandit34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 07:06 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

I think our younger players collectively are much better than LAs and Dallas.

TeamTippett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 07:07 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit34 View Post
Honestly, I know I think differently than most of the members here, but I'm just not as high on the future success as others. We do have a lot of young players but so does every other team. I'll just give you a look at our division.

Ducks- Their young players include Ryan Getzlaf, James Wisniewski, Corey Perry, Jonas Hiller, Ryan Whitney, and Bobby Ryan. Three of them are already stars in the league. Do you honestly feel that Kyle Turris, Peter Mueller and Martin Hanzal can take Getzlaf, Perry, and Ryan in the future?

Kings- Their younger players include Dustin Brown, Anze Kopitar, Drew Doughty, Alexander Frolov, Oscar Moller, Wayne Simmonds, Brian Boyle, Jonathan Quick, Matt Greene, Jack Johnson and Kyle Quincey. I think we'll be on the same boat as them or them slightly better.

Sharks- Their younger players include Joe Palvelski, Devin Setoguchi, Vlasic, Torrey Mitchell, and Ryane Clowe. But you gotta remember their star players are also in their prime currently and should be around in 5 years.

Stars- Their young players include James Neal, Fabian Brunnstrom, Loui Eriksson, Niklas Grossman, Matt Niskanen, and Trevor Daley.

I hate to come in here and kill the mood but everyone is looking forward to their future. You could make a case for every team on who is going to be the top of the division. It just comes down to development and coaching. You're always going to have your veteran and character guys. Am I sounding reasonable or am I sounding like a drunk baffoon?
What you say does make alot of sense. I think the optimism that many, including myself, have is based off the fact that I don't think that at any other time in the history of the franchise (since I have been around) has this much hope in the future been had. Maybe back in the Winnipeg days when guys like Hawerchuk, Tkachuk, Selanne, Bulin, and others were coming into their own there was the same excitement.

It will be tough to overcome opponents like that. This division certainly will become one of the most competitive in the NHL very soon.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 07:10 PM
dustyrockon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit34 View Post

I'm not saying their going to develop as fast as getzlaf or setoguchi or brown but you also have to take into consideration that alot of the players you mentioned have been around longer then the players phoenix currently have. Except lets say Lisin, and he still has a "way" to go. Anyways just the way I see it...

dustyrockon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 07:14 PM
puck57

I think all this with the ownership/relocation issue HAS to be settled first to have ANY stability to focus on the on ice issues. All this couldn't have come at a WORSE time for season ticket sales, the draft, etc. I guess I am sort of in the middle with the young guys- some do have great potential but it's very hard to know just what the management will be like and who or what vets will be added in to the mix which is essential imo so IF all this is worked out at least for next season then yea this young group will/should be that much better next year but the team both on and off the ice has so many other ifs I just DON'T know at this stage!!!

puck57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 11:36 PM
ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
What you say does make alot of sense. I think the optimism that many, including myself, have is based off the fact that I don't think that at any other time in the history of the franchise (since I have been around) has this much hope in the future been had. Maybe back in the Winnipeg days when guys like Hawerchuk, Tkachuk, Selanne, Bulin, and others were coming into their own there was the same excitement.

It will be tough to overcome opponents like that. This division certainly will become one of the most competitive in the NHL very soon.

Oh I remember those days well...except Hawerchuk never played on the same team as Selanne.

The Hockey News future watch had Winnipeg ranked #1. The top 3 prospects included the Olympic Line = Tkachuk - Zhamnov - Selanne.

Other up and coming prospects and young players over the next 2 seasons included Russ Romaniuk (never made it), Darrin Shannon, Boris Mironov, Kris Draper, Rick Tabaracci, Stu Barnes, Dallas Drake, Michael Grosek, Igor Koralev, Craig Martin and Nikolai Khabibulin. Optimism abounded.

ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 12:53 AM
Bandit34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTurris View Post
I think our younger players collectively are much better than LAs and Dallas.
I'm hoping that would be what happens but for right now you can make a solid argument for either of the three.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post

Yep, unfortunately we be playing them more than the rest of the teams. But other teams are very high on the future also like Chicago, Columbus, St. Louis etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyrockon View Post
I'm not saying their going to develop as fast as getzlaf or setoguchi or brown but you also have to take into consideration that alot of the players you mentioned have been around longer then the players phoenix currently have. Except lets say Lisin, and he still has a "way" to go. Anyways just the way I see it...
I think the oldest guy I listed was Ryane Clowe and he's only like 26.

Yes they do have a bit more experience than the yotes young guys but they'll be around when the yotes young guys hit their prime. And that's really the most logical view to look at the future by.

Bandit34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 05:18 PM
bruin77

I personally think you guy's have some great talent and it's only going to get better after this draft,I also think the players and the team could have had a much better year if there was a real coach in place and not some name behind the bench just to try and draw some people in the building.

bruin77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 10:37 PM
omnimutant

I think what our Young Guys are Missing is Top tear veteran leadership to guide them in the right direction. Yea we got Doan, and thats it. We desperately need to spend and get at least one or two Proven Top end talents to help Doan guide the team. If we can talk Jovo into somehow waiving his NTC we could afford to Bring in at least One High end Guy, provided we can convince him to stay for more then a year, and show him our commitment so that he commits to us, whoever that may be. Unfortunately until all this court crap gets settled it's going to be pretty tough to convince anyone UFA wise to come over for a committed amount of time.

omnimutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 10:41 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Not to mention a coach who has some clue of what he is doing...

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote