HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

Need Help Setting up a MMA Workout

Old
05-08-2009, 08:56 PM
Saw Jiris Tlusty

vCash: 500
Need Help Setting up a MMA Workout

I thought this would be the best way to ask this question.

So, I'm a very skinny guy, and I'm looking to get into some sort of Martial art(Probably Muay Thai or Boxing). What kind of exercises can I do to try and bulk up and get some training in? I have access to a fully equipped gym, but I have no idea what exactly to train, and the kind of drills can I do to get my stamina up and my fighting skills better?

- Thanks in advance, and sorry to the mods if this in the wrong place.

Saw Jiris Tlusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 01:50 AM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisToLeafsNation View Post
I thought this would be the best way to ask this question.

So, I'm a very skinny guy, and I'm looking to get into some sort of Martial art(Probably Muay Thai or Boxing). What kind of exercises can I do to try and bulk up and get some training in? I have access to a fully equipped gym, but I have no idea what exactly to train, and the kind of drills can I do to get my stamina up and my fighting skills better?

- Thanks in advance, and sorry to the mods if this in the wrong place.
Chinups, pushups, situps, squats, lunges, core stabalizations, seated rows. We do a lot of this type of stuff for warmups, for fighters you don't necessarily want to get huge, you want to get strong but not overly built.

My suggestion is to find a good Boxing or Muay Thai gym and just start going there, they'll whip you in shape pretty quick.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 03:13 AM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Honestly, what do you want to accomplish more? Get bigger or learn a martial art?

While they aren't mutually exclusive, I would say that it's hard to work on both at the same time unless you can dedicate a great deal of time to training. Weight training is the best way to build "bulk. " If you have to limit your time in the weight room because you're also spending time on kickboxing or jiu-jitsu, I'd say to focus on squats, deadlifts, and bench press, to maximize your time working with weights.

If bulking up is what you're set on, you'll need to square away your diet so that your body is able to build muscle no matter what type of exercise you're partaking in. In other words, protein protein protein! In this regard, I'd recommend doing your own research. People on message boards and webpages can "tell" you what you should be eating, but IMO it's best to learn "why" you should be doing certain things as they pertain to your daily diet.

Cleric had some good advice as well. If learning a martial art is your main goal, you're best served with finding a gym that offers instruction in your area. Not only will it be a great workout, but (hopefully) you'll also have someone to coach you and fix the flaws in your technique as well.

Good luck!

EDIT: If you're in Missisauga, finding a good gym in the GTA should't be hard. If you have the means, Xtreme Couture has opened up a very strong satellite location.

Last edited by Ensane: 05-09-2009 at 03:18 AM.
Ensane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 12:08 AM
Saw Jiris Tlusty

Well I need to put on some weigh I'm 5'7 and 115 pounds . I don't really have the money to do Xtreme Couture at the moment, when I get a job maybe but as for now no. I am getting an membership at another Muay Thai gym though.

To be honest I'm looking to put on muscle in a fun way and thought that an MMA workout would be the funnest way for me.

Saw Jiris Tlusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 03:53 AM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisToLeafsNation View Post
Well I need to put on some weigh I'm 5'7 and 115 pounds . I don't really have the money to do Xtreme Couture at the moment, when I get a job maybe but as for now no. I am getting an membership at another Muay Thai gym though.

To be honest I'm looking to put on muscle in a fun way and thought that an MMA workout would be the funnest way for me.
A lot of gaining weight is your diet, Ensane had it right when he mentioned that you should be consuming a lot of protein. If you do decided to use a protein supplement remember to up your water intake, this will help prevent a lot of kidney problems that will arise (the unused protein will have to be filtered out, if you don't have enough water in your system to dilute it, it can cause problems). I'd also try to get a protein supplement with glutamine in it, glutamine hasn't shown any negative side effects through research, it does help your immune system though.

But my best advice is for you to get some advice from a Nutritionist, they know what they're talking about and can get you on the right track pretty quickly. Once you have a semblence of what you need to do nutritionally just start going to kickboxing or what not and ask the coaches there to give you advice on what excercises to do.

I wouldn't worry too much about weight/muscle gain though, depending on your age your body usually starts naturally filling out throughout your early 20's. Finding a good way to keep fit is a really good idea though, Muay Thai is a ton of fun, I've been doing it for the last 2-3 years and it's an absolute blast.

Old
05-10-2009, 08:03 AM
pox

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to pox
When looking for a gym being boxing or MT you should take a class first and see how you like it there and if the instruction is suited to you. You want a place YOU can learn at so take the time and investigate more then one gym.

pox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 06:26 PM
Payaso619*

My friend goes to Boxing, Maui Thai training session where he pays 80-120$ a month to get whipped into shape, he said it's been really effective for him and he's lost 15-20lbs since he's started(4 months now). He's also a lot leaner, toned and has great definition. I'd suggest you to find some locations where they offer programs such as the one my friends in.

Just noticed you're 5'7 115lbs, Christ... If I were you I'd gain a bit of weight first by taking the right diet. Reminds me of my other friend he's 5'8 and he weighed 118lbs he now weighs 165lbs. He did a lot of weight training and had a diet of high protein and some other stuff. He's not huge in anyway but, he's incredibly strong and I can see him being an excellent Walter weight fighter if he wanted to, anyways I hope I helped in some way.

Payaso619* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 01:34 PM
Twist and Shout

I'm getting into Muay Thai as well. Yesterday was my first time and it was a mostly cardio-based workout. It was a 60 minute session and I had to slow down at the end and sat out the last 5 or so minutes since I was getting dizzy. After class, I was still dizzy and had to sit in my car for a few minutes with the windows down for a few minutes and my head was still spinning when I got home.

I haven't worked out in months and I'm 5'8 and 165 pounds (most of it isn't muscle) but I wasn't expecting to get dizzy (I've never gotten dizzy from physical activity before). Ah well, I think it will get better.

It's a nice facility:

Twist and Shout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 11:15 AM
pox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subway Schenn View Post
I'm getting into Muay Thai as well. Yesterday was my first time and it was a mostly cardio-based workout. It was a 60 minute session and I had to slow down at the end and sat out the last 5 or so minutes since I was getting dizzy. After class, I was still dizzy and had to sit in my car for a few minutes with the windows down for a few minutes and my head was still spinning when I got home.

I haven't worked out in months and I'm 5'8 and 165 pounds (most of it isn't muscle) but I wasn't expecting to get dizzy (I've never gotten dizzy from physical activity before). Ah well, I think it will get better.

It's a nice facility:
you need to drink way more water then, before during and after

Old
05-31-2009, 09:35 PM
Twist and Shout

Quote:
Originally Posted by pox View Post
you need to drink way more water then, before during and after
I think that was the problem now that you say that. I didn't have any water before or during the workout. Just had some in the car on the way back home.

I'll definately remember to take water with me next time. Thanks for the important tip.

Twist and Shout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 11:04 PM
pox

Quote:
I think that was the problem now that you say that. I didn't have any water before or during the workout. Just had some in the car on the way back home.

I'll definately remember to take water with me next time. Thanks for the important tip.
you also should be fully hydrated before your workout so try to keep that in mind on workout days

Old
06-03-2009, 01:38 AM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pox View Post
you also should be fully hydrated before your workout so try to keep that in mind on workout days
pox is right about being hydrated prior to the workout, that's extremely important. I also recommend drinking some Gatorade post-workout, though in the case of Gatorade make sure you're using 50% Gatorade with 50% water, the actual mixture in Gatorade isn't diluted and will actually dehydrate you. Hopefully that helps.