HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Greg Sherman Named Avalanche GM

Old
06-03-2009, 11:25 AM
Roy33

vCash: 500
Greg Sherman Named Avalanche GM

http://avalanche.nhl.com/team/app/?s...ticleid=424793

Unfortunately, you'll also notice this: "[t]he club also announced the hiring of Eric Lacroix as Director of Hockey Operations."

Roy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 11:39 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 420
First response is...who?

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 11:44 AM
Jori

Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
He was the assistant GM under Giguere. Another bean counter.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 11:45 AM
Gumballhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbyfan View Post
First response is...who?
Evidently he's been our assistant GM for the last 7 years? The Avalanche would be a great club to work for, but it's getting harder to swallow these "changes" as a fan. I'll reserve judgement on the guy, as I know ****all about him, but this isn't much of a change at all. I am beginning to feel like we can predict who will be running the club in 35 years simply by seeing who in the organization has recently had a child.

Gumballhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 11:45 AM
iAvs
JUST WIN

Yea, he's been managing our cap situation.... god help us.

iAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 11:49 AM
bohlmeister
Amazingly Randy

hahahaha. What is wrong with hiring a hockey guy, like the rest of the league. Hopefully Billington will have a lot of say in the players we bring in.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 11:49 AM
quesosauce

TERRIBLE choice! this is a no change kind of choice, this team is ****ing dumb

quesosauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 11:57 AM
Chileiceman

I'm happy with today's firings, disappointed with this one. Especially Eric Lacroix's new position.

Chileiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 11:57 AM
Gumballhead

If this is indeed just another bean counter, shouldn't someone on the primarily business end realize that someone really good with hockey players might help us become a better team, and try to get the building selling out again?

Old
06-03-2009, 11:59 AM
volaju

"hockey guys" would have an actual opinion about what type of players should compose the team, what specific players he wants on the team and off the team. a hockey guy wouldn't like having PL breathe down his neck as he's trying to do his job.

volaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 12:10 PM
Bill Peckerskull
Farging Ice Holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Record Robot View Post
If this is indeed just another bean counter, shouldn't someone on the primarily business end realize that someone really good with hockey players might help us become a better team, and try to get the building selling out again?
No one on the "business" end really seems to care, or know how to fix the problem.

Bill Peckerskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 12:18 PM
crucifux

You don't even know the guy but your labeling him a "bean counter" and not a "hockey guy". Lou Lamoriello wasn't a "hockey guy", the Devils have been a power house for over a decade. Peter Chiarelli wasn't a "hockey guy", but he has Boston on the right track. It's not necassarily a prerequisite for success...

crucifux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 12:29 PM
Gumballhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by crucifux View Post
You don't even know the guy but your labeling him a "bean counter" and not a "hockey guy". Lou Lamoriello wasn't a "hockey guy", the Devils have been a power house for over a decade. Peter Chiarelli wasn't a "hockey guy", but he has Boston on the right track. It's not necassarily a prerequisite for success...
I don't know if you're addressing people collectively or not, but in my case I said I was reserving judgement because I know nothing about the guy, but the fact that he's clearly been more of an accountant than a talent evaluator, and that our cap situation hasn't been so enviable lately, I do feel disappointed by this choice. You can cite Lamoriello and Chiarelli, but I can cite an example much closer to home: Francois Giguere.

Old
06-03-2009, 12:32 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Fair enough RR. Jay Feaster wasn't a "hockey guy" either, and he was my top choice.

It's an experiment nonetheless, but I'm a little bit more confident that Biller will be riding shotgun handling more player personnel issues.

Ensane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 12:44 PM
AllAboutAvs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori View Post
He was the assistant GM under Giguere. Another bean counter.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes you are right. They replace a been counter with another been counter. However before we had two bean counters as GM and assistant GM. This time we have a bean counter and Billington as GM and Biller should provide the hockey knowledge. I hope anyway. We'll see how it turns out. I would have prefered they hired from outside but we'll see.

AllAboutAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 12:50 PM
Jori

Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
I don't have a personal problem with Sherman. I'm just tired of the same crap.

Posted via Mobile Device

Jori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 01:04 PM
Gumballhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane View Post
Fair enough RR. Jay Feaster wasn't a "hockey guy" either, and he was my top choice.

It's an experiment nonetheless, but I'm a little bit more confident that Biller will be riding shotgun handling more player personnel issues.
From the quote by Pierre about surrounding him with hockey people (that's my severe paraphrasing), I am guessing that Billington, Brad Smith and PL himself will be helping a lot with talent evaluation. Maybe Eric LaCroix, too? (I don't know what to think about that, most people around here seem to hate on the guy, and I only remember that he wasn't good at playing hockey.)

This might be a version of that co-GM thing that was talked about with the proposed Fletcher-Billington team, and in that light it's a little more reassuring. What's not so reassuring is that finances and cap have not been a strong point of late. Maybe we could have gotten a better bean counter? We'll find out. I'm just a leery of unproven, unknown entities with longtime ties to the organization. To me if we got someone from the outside, it would prove they'd found someone better than we already have, a thing that seems like a near certainty to me.

Old
06-03-2009, 01:13 PM
shadow1

At this point, any news is good news. But honestly, I'm just going to re-quote what I did last time I discussed this Sherman guy: "In his previous role, Sherman worked on contract negotiations, arbitration cases, salary cap management and matters."

Still, that probably means all he did was tell Giguere that they could afford his outlandish contracts, right?

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 01:15 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

way to shake things up...

NOT.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 01:18 PM
AllAboutAvs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Record Robot View Post
From the quote by Pierre about surrounding him with hockey people (that's my severe paraphrasing), I am guessing that Billington, Brad Smith and PL himself will be helping a lot with talent evaluation. Maybe Eric LaCroix, too? (I don't know what to think about that, most people around here seem to hate on the guy, and I only remember that he wasn't good at playing hockey.)

This might be a version of that co-GM thing that was talked about with the proposed Fletcher-Billington team, and in that light it's a little more reassuring. What's not so reassuring is that finances and cap have not been a strong point of late. Maybe we could have gotten a better bean counter? We'll find out. I'm just a leery of unproven, unknown entities with longtime ties to the organization. To me if we got someone from the outside, it would prove they'd found someone better than we already have, a thing that seems like a near certainty to me.
Not saying you are wrong because I am not so sure what to make of this promotion yet, but to his defence if the assistant (a bean counter) goes to the GM and says: "Hey if you make this trade or give this contract, it will screw our cap in the next few years". And then the GM still does it, then it is not his fault as he did his job. I am just saying, he might be a great bean counter. We just don't know yet.

AllAboutAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 01:26 PM
Foppa2118

Same old story. When will PL feel pressured enough to actually hire someone experienced, rather than promoting an in house guy, or one of his buddies/family members? You would have thought he'd make sure someone experienced and qualified was brought in after the debacle last season, but no, he brings in Sherman who will clearly just be a paper work and numbers guy. Not much to F up there. Poor guy will get the axe like FG did if PL's moves don't pan out, or his gambles screw the franchise over. PL will put the blame on him, and look for a new puppet.

I was never an FG puppet believer, but this quote pretty much sold me on the fact that this is what Sherman will be.

Quote:
“Surrounded by a strong hockey staff and under my supervision, he will have all the necessary support to lead the Avalanche in this new direction,” added Lacroix.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 01:27 PM
Gumballhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfan View Post
Not saying you are wrong because I am not so sure what to make of this promotion yet, but to his defence if the assistant (a bean counter) goes to the GM and says: "Hey if you make this trade or give this contract, it will screw our cap in the next few years". And then the GM still does it, then it is not his fault as he did his job. I am just saying, he might be a great bean counter. We just don't know yet.
Right, we don't know anything yet. But this isn't very high on my list of possible outcomes.

Old
06-03-2009, 01:38 PM
ABasin
Beer is good food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy33 View Post
http://avalanche.nhl.com/team/app/?s...ticleid=424793

Unfortunately, you'll also notice this: "[t]he club also announced the hiring of Eric Lacroix as Director of Hockey Operations."
Same old nepotism - multiplied 7 fold with the hiring of EL. Not a recipe for success.

The two good pieces of news here, are that Granato and Cloutier are both gone.

I feel like I just had a great lobster dinner and got punched in the stomach at the same time.

-AB

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 01:43 PM
anleva

So if I'm reading this correctly, Sherman was named Assistant General Manager during the summer of 2006 after spending the previous three seasons as Assistant to the GM...and born in Scranton, Pennsylvania and raised in Denver...

Sounds like we hired Dwight Schrute as our new leader

anleva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 01:48 PM
ABasin
Beer is good food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
I was never an FG puppet believer
I always was, and am. Given his ego and his choices of people to work under him, I have almost no doubt whatsoever.

If they hire Joe Sacco as the Avs new head coach, I might have to walk...

-AB

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote