HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Emery could sign for one-year @ 1.5m (post #553)

Closed Thread

Old
06-03-2009, 02:21 PM
ToTheNet

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
Emery - Backlund tandem. . . or who knows. Maybe Niity gets resigned now and we have a Niity-Emery tandem.

Old
06-03-2009, 02:21 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I think it's a massive step sideways. They are about equal and I might actually prefer Emery a tiny little bit.

Either way, you guys really need a real goaltender. I don't see Harding, Emery, Biron, ________ (insert random mediocre goalie here) as the answer any time soon.

Granted, that's easier said than done.

But I actually think it might be a good deal for you guys if Emery can regain some of his potential.
Regain some of his potential? And then what? Hope he can actually utilize it and turn it into visible talent on a regular basis? Yeah, right. This move is stupid.

Old
06-03-2009, 02:22 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Another opportune time for the 'vomit smilie.'
It's apropos so often. severely lacking

Old
06-03-2009, 02:22 PM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
Which is a nice way to say, "picked up at the Bargain Basement Super Center."

Give me Marty ****ing Biron.

At what price ????? If he wanted 3.5-4 mill he would be signed already imo.

Old
06-03-2009, 02:23 PM
Cmoneyflyguy

I look at it this way
Very high risk
Potentially Very high reward

Old
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
I don't know about this. Is he being brought in as the starter? In that case, you guys better have a sound backup. Any chance this is trying to push Biron into signing for less?

Old
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
Regain some of his potential? And then what? Hope he can actually utilize it and turn it into visible talent on a regular basis? Yeah, right. This move is stupid.
Hey, he's more proven than Harding and Pavelec/Lehtonen, as far as I'm concerned.

I think he's a better option to sign for free than for you guys to trade for any of those 3 goalies.

Flyers really need to draft and develop a goaltender. I don't think that any of Harding or either of the Atlanta guys does much to put you guys over the top. All 3 of them, to me, come off as fairly mediocre and maybe only slightly better than either of Biron or Emery.

Old
06-03-2009, 02:24 PM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Wow, I can barely contain my excitement.

If we sign Emery and let Biron go, it's a massive step backwards.
This is what I feel. I don't see Emery signing for SOOO much less than Marty to be worth it. Hater's be damned, but Marty got us deep into the playoffs last year and had the potential for doing it again if the rest of the team didn't pack it in for a couple games.

Marty's not Brodeur, but neither is Emery. Bleh.

I also don't think this is a way to force Marty's hand. I've never gotten the impression that's how the Flyers do business.

Old
Viller

I'm ok with Emery if its true he cleaned up his act somewhat... Definately gonna need somekind of veteran backup though. Rather have Emery for 2-2.5millions than Biron for Huet type of cash (5.something million for Biron or Huet is ridiculous.)

We are praising Biron because he brought the Flyers to the conference finals a year ago, well Emery took the Sens to the finals so... Holmgren knows what he's doing, I don't think he thinks its that much of a gamble, talent wise anyway.

Definately beginning to wonder how the guys in the room will react to this one though... If moving Briere will become a possibility also.

Old
The Fuhr*

Quote:
We're ****ed.

Even outside of the off-ice crap (all this team needs is another partier and undisciplined player), Emery had 1 good season on an absolutely dominant Ottawa team and was extremely mediocre during his other 2 years.

**** Holmgren.

**** this ****ing POS team.
Emerys a good goalie who got ****ed by Brian Murray and Paddock.

Granted Emery should have handled the situation better but the story goes like this.

06/07 Sens suck to begin the season, Emery steps up in November and carries the team. Team starts coming around in Jan, and goes to the cup. Turns out Emery had an injured wrist and needed surgery. Dude sucked it up when the team needed him.

07/08 Emery gets to it late due to surgey. Ready to go mid October. Team gives Gerber the number 1 gig. Emery felt he earned it and did not need to work for it. Locker room division as a group supports Emery and a group supports Gerber. Season of chaos.

Emery said after bought out, he should have worked harder. Needed to mature. Went to KHL and dominated.

He'll be a solid pickup. He was the most important player on the cup run season, the Sens were on the verge of a shakeup and it was Emery who came in and was flat out dominate until the team came together.

Old
chimrichalds18
the key

if this is true, then biron must be asking for too much money. biron has certainly not been the problem the last couple of years.

some poster on panaccio's article wrote that it's a 1 yr deal at 1.2 million according to emery's father (which could be complete BS). that's a nice savings, but it's incredibly short-term. think, if emery does well, then that number's just gonna go up after one year. if he sucks, then we're right back where we started.

Old
06-03-2009, 02:25 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
I've defended Holmgren for a long, long time on this board.

But the Jones contract has already screwed us big time, the Lupul contract is going to be a huge problem if we can't unload it, and these Biron cockup is going to set us back to our 06-07 team basically.

At some point, he needs to stop living on the stuff he's done right (Coburn, Kimmo, and our drafts) and stop screwing stuff up.

I'd have a fairly itchy trigger-finger right now if I were Snider.

Old
06-03-2009, 02:26 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
And this is all besides the fact that clearly Emery is the heir apparent to Hextall.

Emery VS Avery would be great to watch.

Old
06-03-2009, 02:26 PM
mm6492

Taking bets on first Flyer to punch him in the face???

I put $20 on Carcillo

Old
06-03-2009, 02:27 PM
bennysflyers16

What do all the Pro Biron people want him signed for ?????????
If he was asking for a reasonable contract, he would be already signed ???? I would like to keep Biron for 4 mill or less, but if he wants more I would be all for going after Emery, spend extra $$ on defence, and draft a goalie in the 1st rd.

Old
06-03-2009, 02:28 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
Emerys a good goalie who got ****ed by Brian Murray and Paddock.

Granted Emery should have handled the situation better but the story goes like this.

06/07 Sens suck to begin the season, Emery steps up in November and carries the team. Team starts coming around in Jan, and goes to the cup. Turns out Emery had an injured wrist and needed surgery. Dude sucked it up when the team needed him.

07/08 Emery gets to it late due to surgey. Ready to go mid October. Team gives Gerber the number 1 gig. Emery felt he earned it and did not need to work for it. Locker room division as a group supports Emery and a group supports Gerber. Season of chaos.

Emery said after bought out, he should have worked harder. Needed to mature. Went to KHL and dominated.

He'll be a solid pickup. He was the most important player on the cup run season, the Sens were on the verge of a shakeup and it was Emery who came in and was flat out dominate until the team came together.
There's a lot of question marks there.

I don't think most are doubting his 06-07 season, I think that Sens team was very strong, but Emery certainly did a good job. But you look at that 07-08 season where he wanted the starting job, but played like ass when he got chances to go and you wonder what he'll do at the first sign of adversity.

And there will be plenty of adversity, you can count on that.

Marty was extremely good for 2 years, this team leaned on him a lot, he was always a good guy in the clubhouse and he was very reliable.

We've gone from "sure thing" to "wild-card." That's a step backwards.

Maybe Emery will pan out, but right now it's a huge question mark.

Old
06-03-2009, 02:29 PM
mm6492

Quote:

But the Jones contract has already screwed us big time, the Lupul contract is going to be a huge problem if we can't unload it, and these Biron cockup is going to set us back to our 06-07 team basically.

At some point, he needs to stop living on the stuff he's done right (Coburn, Kimmo, and our drafts) and stop screwing stuff up.

agreed.

Nearly anyone can be a great GM when the etam is terribel,a nd they have an almost unlimited cap to spend. He went out and bought Hartnell, Briere and Kimmo. I will give him teh Braydon trade- that was a steal. But since then, Homer has not had a big impact. The Sbisa pick is more from scouts and the extensions to Lupul and Jones are pathetic. The issue is, it will be hard for Snider to fire him, because he "brought the team from worst to first"

Old
06-03-2009, 02:29 PM
blah

I'd take Emery at 1.2 for a year, if Biron placed himself out of the Flyers' price range. Spend on the defense, or keep the cap space for a deadline move if Emery doesn't work out.

Old
06-03-2009, 02:30 PM
Flyersguru

If signing Emery leads to JayBo, I am all for it.

Sign Brian Boucher as a back up, let Backlund work with the Phantoms.

Sounds like a plan.

Old
06-03-2009, 02:31 PM
mm6492

I am not saying he won't work out, I am saying it is way too big of a risk when you have a great core. I hope Emery turned it around, he certainly seemed to have alot of talent

Old
bennysflyers16

Flyhigh, we can all agree this team is a **** show cap wise, How is giving Biron multiple yrs at 5 mill + going to solve things ( Purely my speculation on dollar amounts based on him not resigning to date )

Old
six sigma
Seahawks/Flyers

I still have a lot of faith in Holmgren, misplaced though it may be over the last year or so. He knows better than I how to improve the team, so if he signs Emery I'll wait and see.

Time to change my user status to "Holmgren apologist" I guess.

Old
06-03-2009, 02:32 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:

Yes. This. I've been saying it for about a year now...since his act as a knight in shining armor his first few months as GM, he hasn't done a damn thing to polish himself. In fact, it's almost as if he's throwing a ton of **** all over it to see if he'll still be able to go unscathed.

"Flyers Going Hard After Emery," and the rest of the headline should read, "will go flaccid shorty hereafter."

Old
06-03-2009, 02:33 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
Flyhigh, we can all agree this team is a **** show cap wise, How is giving Biron multiple yrs at 5 mill + going to solve things ( Purely my speculation on dollar amounts )
If this team offered Biron 4 years 4.5 mill per year, I don't think there's any way in hell Biron says no (I might be wrong, but I don't think I am), and I give him that kind of money in a heartbeat considering the way he's played the last 2 years.

Above 5 mill I agree, it's too much, but do you really think Biron turns down a 4 year 18 million dollar deal?

Old
06-03-2009, 02:38 PM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
If this team offered Biron 4 years 4.5 mill per year, I don't think there's any way in hell Biron says no (I might be wrong, but I don't think I am), and I give him that kind of money in a heartbeat considering the way he's played the last 2 years.

Above 5 mill I agree, it's too much, but do you really think Biron turns down a 4 year 18 million dollar deal?
Prob not, but if Emery at 1.5 mill and JBO signed is another option, I am all for exploring that also. Trade Lupul and use his 4.2 mill and the 3 mill saved on Marty, and VOILA !!!

Closed Thread