HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Emery could sign for one-year @ 1.5m (post #553)

Closed Thread

Old
06-03-2009, 01:38 PM
chaosof99*

vCash: 500
Don't really like this, but let's wait and see.
What are the odds that Avery tries some crap on him and Emery blows his lights out?

Old
06-03-2009, 01:38 PM
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
If this team offered Biron 4 years 4.5 mill per year, I don't think there's any way in hell Biron says no (I might be wrong, but I don't think I am), and I give him that kind of money in a heartbeat considering the way he's played the last 2 years.

Above 5 mill I agree, it's too much, but do you really think Biron turns down a 4 year 18 million dollar deal?
I'd be more pissed with the Flyers giving Biron 18 million over 4 years, than Emery 1.5-2 million for one year, with a club option on a 2nd. That free's up some cap room to go after the missing defenseman this club needs.

Old
06-03-2009, 01:39 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
I'd be happy with this if he signs for cheap. Ill be very upset if its for alot. I guess Ill wait til if and when it happens to form an opinion.

Old
06-03-2009, 01:40 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersguru View Post
If signing Emery leads to JayBo, I am all for it.

Sign Brian Boucher as a back up, let Backlund work with the Phantoms.

Sounds like a plan.
How can signing Emery and saving like 2 million (if he even signs for that cheap) give us enough space to think about signing Jaybo? We'd still have to get rid of Briere's contract, and Jones', and Lupul's in order to not be screwed in upcoming seasons when Carter and Giroux need to be resigned.

Its far more likely we do not sign Jaybo then we do. Even if by some miracle we did get him, we would still need to move several contracts so that we can resign our players. I would love to have Buowmeester, but the things that would need to happen for us to get him and better our cap situation are almost impossible to pull off.

Old
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
I'd be more pissed with the Flyers giving Biron 18 million over 4 years, than Emery 1.5-2 million for one year, with a club option on a 2nd. That free's up some cap room to go after the missing defenseman this club needs.
Color me pissed until it happens.

If this is true, Bouwmeester wearing orange and black better ****ing happen.

Old
Jules801
Just Some Broad

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
if this is true, then biron must be asking for too much money. biron has certainly not been the problem the last couple of years.

some poster on panaccio's article wrote that it's a 1 yr deal at 1.2 million according to emery's father (which could be complete BS). that's a nice savings, but it's incredibly short-term. think, if emery does well, then that number's just gonna go up after one year. if he sucks, then we're right back where we started.
If it's really that low of a price, it's hard to argue it. It's still a pill that's tough to swallow, but I guess we can only wait and see what happens.

Old
06-03-2009, 01:41 PM
blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
Yes. This. I've been saying it for about a year now...since his act as a knight in shining armor his first few months as GM, he hasn't done a damn thing to polish himself. In fact, it's almost as if he's throwing a ton of **** all over it to see if he'll still be able to go unscathed.

"Flyers Going Hard After Emery," and the rest of the headline should read, "will go flaccid shorty hereafter."
Maybe he was seeing what he had? They made wholesale changes in a single offseason. They haven't exactly been healthy either. Gagne missed a year. Hatcher and Smith left last offseason. It's a bit more obvious where their needs are this offseason.

Old
06-03-2009, 01:41 PM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

Well I dont mind the Flyers exploring all their options, especially if Biron has priced himself out of Philly. No one knows what the story is, we wont know until after July 1. Does he really want to come back here? is he really asking for 5 million per?
If he really is asking for 5 million then this is a good move at the very least to see what is out there.
We are going to need 2 goaltenders. Niittymaki more then likely is done here. I would wager the chances that Niittymaki will walk away before Biron does.
So its not a bad idea to at least explore the option of bringing in Emery. Yeah we know his off the ice antics, but if the Flyers give him a 1 year deal then it cant hurt. He probably wants back in to the NHL and is willing to show that he deserves to be back. A 1 year deal would not hurt for the right price. If it doesnt work, then hes gone after the season. No big deal.
Not sure if I would be ready to trust Harding or Halak in fulltime starting duty just yet.
I think the fans in Philly could make Lehtonen cry worse then Pitkanen did. Doubt he could handle the pressure.

Old
06-03-2009, 01:42 PM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
Color me pissed until it happens.

If this is true, Bouwmeester wearing orange and black better ****ing happen.
I don't think it will be JBo, he'll be an Oiler if I had to guess. It does free up some cap flexibility though, something that is desperately needed.

Old
06-03-2009, 01:43 PM
Haute Couturier

I hope we deal for a guy like Schneider who we can develop behind Emery.

Old
06-03-2009, 01:44 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
The last thing this team needs is ANOTHER long-term contract to a skater.

Imagine we sign J-Bo at 6 years 39 mill. Here are our skater contracts.

Briere 6.5 per year
Gagne 5 per year
Richie 5.75 per year
Carter 5 per year
Lupul 4.25 per year
Hartnell 4.2 per year

Kimmo 6.333 per year
J-Bouw 6.5 per year
Carle 3.4 per year

That's roughly 46.5 mill on 9 skaters. Now imagine Emery doesn't pan out. Now you need to find a goalie and you need to pay Coburn and you need to pay Giroux within a couple years and you need to find 6 bottom-6 forwards and 3 good d-men.

Can you say screwed?

This team's defensive problems run a lot deeper than simply the personnel on the ice. Fix the coach first, then if there's still a problem, you fix the players.

EDIT: I should add that Marshall and Sbisa are both definite big-time prospects and then you have a couple very interesting ones in Bourdon and Bodrov.

Plus, Coburn, Carle, and Parent are all under 25.

Old
06-03-2009, 01:45 PM
Chea*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
Injecting locker room cancer.
Though to be fair I don't think Emery would get away with his jackass antics the way he did in Ottawa. Philly seems to have a lot more locker room character and already have experience with jackasses like Downie.

Old
06-03-2009, 01:45 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
What do all the Pro Biron people want him signed for ?????????
If he was asking for a reasonable contract, he would be already signed ???? I would like to keep Biron for 4 mill or less, but if he wants more I would be all for going after Emery, spend extra $$ on defence, and draft a goalie in the 1st rd.
The problem is that you're not going to do better than Biron for 4M or less. You're going to have to gamble on someone like Emery, or another unproven...Sure, that could work out absolutely fantastic, but if it doesn't work out you can spend all the money you saved on the greatest players on earth and it isn't going to make a difference.

Goalie is that important.

Quote:
And sets us up to be screwed at the one position you absolutely cannot be screwed at if you want to compete for anything. Emery has talent, but he's also a headcase with a rotten history and plays a position that can carry a bad team, or submarine a good team.

Great combination.

Old
06-03-2009, 01:46 PM
IrishSniper87

I wonder what number Emery will take if he does sign here?

He wore #1, which is retired here.

And I doubt the club lets anyone take #31.

I am oddly curious about this. Jersey numbers are interesting to me for some reason.

Old
06-03-2009, 01:47 PM
SpezDispenser

Ray deserved a second chance in the NHL - assuming he's over his off ice...partying - but I thought he might go to a team that has no intentions of competing next year, like a Colorado for instance.

But to put him right into the thick of it on a team that expects to go deep in the playoffs...is asking for a meltdown of epic proportions.

Old
06-03-2009, 01:48 PM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
I wonder what number Emery will take if he does sign here?

He wore #1, which is retired here.

And I doubt the club lets anyone take #31.

I am oddly curious about this. Jersey numbers are interesting to me for some reason.
maybe he doubles up the 31 and wears 62.

Old
06-03-2009, 01:48 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
The last thing this team needs is ANOTHER long-term contract to a skater.

Imagine we sign J-Bo at 6 years 39 mill. Here are our skater contracts.

Briere 6.5 per year
Gagne 5 per year
Richie 5.75 per year
Carter 5 per year
Lupul 4.25 per year
Hartnell 4.2 per year

Kimmo 6.333 per year
J-Bouw 6.5 per year
Carle 3.4 per year

That's roughly 46.5 mill on 9 skaters. Now imagine Emery doesn't pan out. Now you need to find a goalie and you need to pay Coburn and you need to pay Giroux within a couple years and you need to find 6 bottom-6 forwards and 3 good d-men.

Can you say screwed?

This team's defensive problems run a lot deeper than simply the personnel on the ice. Fix the coach first, then if there's still a problem, you fix the players.

EDIT: I should add that Marshall and Sbisa are both definite big-time prospects and then you have a couple very interesting ones in Bourdon and Bodrov.

Plus, Coburn, Carle, and Parent are all under 25.
I feel Jones and Lupul are on their way out. However, you are right, signing Jay-Bo would handcuff our cap for a long time.

Old
06-03-2009, 01:49 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Some of you dick ****ers really need to stop whining.

Yeah, Emery loves the penis, we all know this, and he isn't my first choice as well. But how many of us have criticized Homer for his cap management. IMO this is him trying to take a gamble on a guy. He shouldn't be to much, and if it works, we will all love him, if not, oh well. Emery will prob go to the AHL or ride the pine.

I mean, do you people really think Emery signing here will mean the Flyers will crumble and all become womanizing coke heads? I mean isn't this why we have our almighty captain in place to this ******* in his place?

Your all ****ing racist too, to boot.

Old
06-03-2009, 01:49 PM
TheePlaymaker12

Send a message via AIM to TheePlaymaker12
as much as this scares me and pisses me off i'm trying to stay positive about it maybe he cleaned up his act and if they sign him for anything under 2.5 i would be happy if you can then sign say maybe nitty as a solid backup who still has the potential i suppose if you look at the run he put up at the olympics or whatever that was you never know. i love biron but this team needs to add a bigger named defensemen somehow and 5 mill a year or 2 mill for a goalie is an easy choice if you can get a bigger named defensemen to me

Old
06-03-2009, 01:51 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post
maybe he doubles up the 31 and wears 62.
I hope he doesnt take #21 since I feel JVR will nab that.

I could see him go after #11.

That would be interesting. Maybe #29 or #33 also.

Old
06-03-2009, 01:51 PM
JSTAFF

Shrug, im in the minority that does not hate it. High risk high reward, at the right price low risk high reward.

Old
06-03-2009, 01:53 PM
DrHamburg

Am I the only one who thinks this is a great move? At the very least he is a decent backup at a decent price and the Flyers do not have to trade anything for him. If things get "really bad" they can just waive him seeing as it is only a 1 year deal.

Old
06-03-2009, 01:53 PM
blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
I feel Jones and Lupul are on their way out. However, you are right, signing Jay-Bo would handcuff our cap for a long time.
If they lose Lupul, Jones, Carle, and don't resign Knuble, J-Bo might be possible. They can fill out the team with players they already have. JBo, Timmonen, and Coburn all play 24+ a game, Parent should be ready for 20 a game, and Sbisa and the 6th dman can gobble up the rest of the minutes.

Old
06-03-2009, 01:55 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

I'm kinda indifferent about this. Do I want Ray Emery to be the next Philadelphia Flyers starting goaltender? Not really, but if Marty really wants something like 5 million I don't see many other options. And I am one of his biggest supporters.
Plus, having a little bit of cap room is good. It's fun.

Old
06-03-2009, 01:55 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin View Post
Some of you dick ****ers really need to stop whining.

Yeah, Emery loves the penis, we all know this, and he isn't my first choice as well. But how many of us have criticized Homer for his cap management. IMO this is him trying to take a gamble on a guy. He shouldn't be to much, and if it works, we will all love him, if not, oh well. Emery will prob go to the AHL or ride the pine.

I mean, do you people really think Emery signing here will mean the Flyers will crumble and all become womanizing coke heads? I mean isn't this why we have our almighty captain in place to this ******* in his place?

Your all ****ing racist too, to boot.
This has nothing to do with race. He is a ****head. It is well documented.

However, whatever, Biron is not worth more then $4 and if Emery breaks down and blows, I see the Flyers trading Gagne or someone mid-season for a goalie.

Some reports cite that Emery's deal is 1 year at $1.2 mill. We could get anyone to back him up if he is that cheap. I think that is cheaper then even Niitty was last season.

I heard Niitty is done though, and that his hip is garbage. I'd be fine with either him or trying to nab another young goalie to backup Emery and hopefully take over in the near future.

We shall see, but interesting news anyway.

Closed Thread