HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Emery could sign for one-year @ 1.5m (post #553)

Closed Thread

Old
06-03-2009, 01:59 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHamburg View Post
Am I the only one who thinks this is a great move? At the very least he is a decent backup at a decent price and the Flyers do not have to trade anything for him. If things get "really bad" they can just waive him seeing as it is only a 1 year deal.
Nope. I think it's a great move as well. He was thrown under the bus in Ottawa. Yeah, he was a bit of a headcase, but most goalies are. Fact is, during the Stanley Cup run, Emery injured his wrist, he tried rehabbing it in the offseason as per the team, it didn't work and he had surgery. He wasn't effective because he essentially had no training camp and it's safe to say he lost his starting role because of an injury (and I'll throw around a quote that seems to be popular - you never lose a starting role to injury). Emery's mistake was that he handled the situation the wrong way and he paid for it.

Anyways, the guy is one of the most driven players I've ever met (I've lived in Ottawa for years and have met Ray on numerous occasions) and he's in a position where now he has to prove others wrong and show he can be a team guy. He's going to be superb here.

Old
06-03-2009, 02:00 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
I hope he doesnt take #21 since I feel JVR will nab that.

I could see him go after #11.

That would be interesting. Maybe #29 or #33 also.
maybe 29. 33 will go to Boucher if he comes back.

Old
06-03-2009, 02:03 PM
runkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Above 5 mill I agree, it's too much, but do you really think Biron turns down a 4 year 18 million dollar deal?
I think he would turn that down. I think he would want somewhere between what Theodore and Huet got last year. Theodore got 4.5 for 2 years. Huet got 5.625 for 4 years. Those deals set a precedent I think for him asking for 5+.

Old
06-03-2009, 02:03 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Well ****. This is a problem for me.

I hate Biron.
I hate Emery.

This is a lose-lose for me. One thing I can say for sure, Biron is not worth more then 4 mil. Emery... Ill wait and see what he can do.

Old
06-03-2009, 02:05 PM
mm6492

Well at least he might be realizng eh needs to fix the cap issue

Hopefully he moves Lupul

Old
06-03-2009, 02:05 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viller View Post
I'm ok with Emery if its true he cleaned up his act somewhat... Definately gonna need somekind of veteran backup though. Rather have Emery for 2-2.5millions than Biron for Huet type of cash (5.something million for Biron or Huet is ridiculous.)

We are praising Biron because he brought the Flyers to the conference finals a year ago, well Emery took the Sens to the finals so... Holmgren knows what he's doing, I don't think he thinks its that much of a gamble, talent wise anyway.

Definately beginning to wonder how the guys in the room will react to this one though...
Well, Emery DID play with Carter in Sault Ste. Marie during his last year there...so at least one guy knows him.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...008192002.html

I'm OK with this. Emery was very good. If he can play consistently at his previous level, cheaply, mission accomplished. He is capable of being as hot as Biron ever was.

Now, do we bring back Esche from Russia too???

Old
06-03-2009, 02:06 PM
JSTAFF

Is it possible to be #0? If it is I think thats what he will go with.

Old
06-03-2009, 02:08 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by stafuccijr View Post
Shrug, im in the minority that does not hate it. High risk high reward, at the right price low risk high reward.
Financial cost isn't the only factor in determining whether or not an acquisition is risky.

They could sign him for the league minimum and the move would be high risk high reward.

Old
06-03-2009, 02:10 PM
JSTAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Financial cost isn't the only factor in determining whether or not an acquisition is risky.

They could sign him for the league minimum and the move would be high risk high reward.
I disagree.

Old
06-03-2009, 02:11 PM
phlocky

I kind of expected to hear this before now. There was a guy on the rumor board who said a friend of his worked on Emerys house and that he actually talked to Emery and confirmed that a deal with Philly was already in place they were just waiting to file the papers. I know that GKJ closed the thread because it was an "unsubstanciated" rumor but hey, the guy had no reason to lie and it does fit with what we've been hearing for a month now.

I think he'll come in at around 6 mil over 2 years and that we will plan on Backlund to be the backup this year. I think Backlund will be given a good look the next 2 years to see if he can take over the starting job once Emerys contract expires.

I think this indicates that Biron WON'T sign for less than 5 mil and therefore has proced himself out of Philly. Emery seems to be a decent alternative and the deal will help out both parties. The Flyers get a goalie about equal to Biron and Emery gets back into the league where he can show he's grown up and worthy of being a #1 on an NHL team.

Backlund and Emery at 3 mil would put us right arounf 54-55 mil for a full 20-man roster next season, right at the cap limit. This could open up the Flyers to make a trade possibly for Harding. We COULD trade Parent and Lupul for Harding + cheap forward and a pick/prospect. Then we would have the money to possibly sign Komisaric and give us the upgrade at defense Homer said he was doing.

I'm not saying I like the thoughts of these or that I'd do them but I definitely think they are possibilities.

Old
06-03-2009, 02:11 PM
flyerfan1248

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
This has nothing to do with race. He is a ****head. It is well documented.

However, whatever, Biron is not worth more then $4 and if Emery breaks down and blows, I see the Flyers trading Gagne or someone mid-season for a goalie.

Some reports cite that Emery's deal is 1 year at $1.2 mill. We could get anyone to back him up if he is that cheap. I think that is cheaper then even Niitty was last season.

I heard Niitty is done though, and that his hip is garbage. I'd be fine with either him or trying to nab another young goalie to backup Emery and hopefully take over in the near future.

We shall see, but interesting news anyway.
I doubt Gagne would waive his NTC.

Old
06-03-2009, 02:12 PM
McNasty

Timmy P's article has it reported as a 1 year deal, so whats the problem?

Old
06-03-2009, 02:13 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
Yeah, why would you want stability at the goaltending position right?

Old
06-03-2009, 02:15 PM
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
The last thing this team needs is ANOTHER long-term contract to a skater.

Imagine we sign J-Bo at 6 years 39 mill. Here are our skater contracts.

Briere 6.5 per year
Gagne 5 per year
Richie 5.75 per year
Carter 5 per year
Lupul 4.25 per year
Hartnell 4.2 per year

Kimmo 6.333 per year
J-Bouw 6.5 per year
Carle 3.4 per year

That's roughly 46.5 mill on 9 skaters. Now imagine Emery doesn't pan out. Now you need to find a goalie and you need to pay Coburn and you need to pay Giroux within a couple years and you need to find 6 bottom-6 forwards and 3 good d-men.

Can you say screwed?

This team's defensive problems run a lot deeper than simply the personnel on the ice. Fix the coach first, then if there's still a problem, you fix the players.

EDIT: I should add that Marshall and Sbisa are both definite big-time prospects and then you have a couple very interesting ones in Bourdon and Bodrov.

Plus, Coburn, Carle, and Parent are all under 25.
Aren't you the one that didn't think this team was ****ed in terms of the cap? Why now are you singing a different tune?

Old
06-03-2009, 02:23 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Is it possible to be #0? If it is I think thats what he will go with.
No. The league stopped players from wearing #0. Interesting enough, the last player to wear #0 is Marty Biron. He wore #0 before switching to #43 after being told to switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post

Quote:
I disagree.
I agree with Jev, a cheap contract can easily be swallowed. High risk is Ray Emery at $3 million per for 3 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerfan1248 View Post
I doubt Gagne would waive his NTC.
If push came to shove, I think he would. He has more control over where he goes, sure, but why play for a team that doesn't need you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
Exactly.

Old
06-03-2009, 02:24 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
Aren't you the one that didn't think this team was ****ed in terms of the cap? Why now are you singing a different tune?
We aren't screwed as long as we don't hand out any more massive contracts to skaters.

If we hand out 6.5 million or so to J-Bouw, that's a big expenditure considering that would buy us Biron and 1-2 cheapie forwards.

Old
06-03-2009, 02:27 PM
TheHMan

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...-To-GO/1/21439

Eklund thinks the Flyers are going to sign Biron... which basically seals the fate of the Emery deal (if you know what I mean )

I don't think you guys should get too worked up about his off ice issues. I'm a huge Ottawa fan and I'm well aware of the stuff that was going on with Emery and the whole 07/08 mess.

A big reason why Emery was so ridiculed so much has to do with the fact that Ottawa was dominant for so long, and fans have simply been spoiled and had their expectations sky high for the team. When things get a little rocky, people want someone to blame and eventually the media singled out Emery.

People were up in arms about a bunch of small potatoes and blew his personality entirely out of proportion. They relied more on what the media said about him than the things he actually said with his own mouth, and that's pretty much it. That's a Canadian market for you.

I really got to question what would have been. To me, Ray was just young and made some mistakes. If one thing is certain, it's that it was made known that he screwed up and he ended up finishing the last few months of the season on the bench. I think that after all he went through, that he would have learned his lesson and probably would have tried to avoid bringing any attention to himself. He deserved a second chance, and probably would have done a hell of a lot better than Martin Gerber. I'm happy that he'll at least get that opportunity with the Flyers.

EDIT:

BobbyClarkeFan16 is also right about the wrist injury. Eklund seems to leave that out when he says that Emery lost the finals for us (it didn't happen that way at all). Clarke is also right in the fact that Emery is a extremely competitive guy and he's going to be in a position where he's dieing to prove people wrong about him. I really get the feeling that this is going to work out for the Flyers.

Old
06-03-2009, 02:28 PM
Mota

Emery will come in, be a solid goalie through out the season and become a fan favorite cause of his edgy attitude. He'll get hot in the playoffs, take the team to the ECF...where they will lose because a key dman or two will be hurt. Coming back the next year, he'll have a slightly above average season because the team is under performing, and everyone will turn on him. The team will get knocked out of the first round, for reasons other than him, but he'll be blamed. 2 years from now, we'll be looking for a new goalie.

Yeah...that seems to be the trend with our goalies lol.

Old
06-03-2009, 02:28 PM
Hemsky is a gangsta
Hemsky is a gangsta

I'm an Oiler fan and I think this is a great move if it's under 2 mil. With the flyers cap situation you can't afford to go out and get a Vokoun or Khabibulin at 5mil+. Emery had only one bad year and he can at the very least be an average goalie. There's not a significant difference between him and Biron and Biron will likely get about 2 mil more this summer. I was hoping the Oilers would get him to replace Roli.

Old
06-03-2009, 02:30 PM
mm6492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
I thinke he means we r fine now, but adding J-Bo at 6.5mil would be cap suicide

Old
06-03-2009, 02:31 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
I disagree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87
I agree with Jev, a cheap contract can easily be swallowed. High risk is Ray Emery at $3 million per for 3 years.
I could care less what they sign him for. Emery isn't risky because of what he will cost; he's risky because his documented off-ice behaviour and polarizing of the Sens' dressing room. He could do the same in Philadelphia. It's not the salary cap that I'm worried about withe Emery; I'm worried that he'll disrupt the routine and focus of a young core.

Old
06-03-2009, 02:59 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 9000
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Two things

1. This didn't happen yet. Calm down people, this is nothing more than a rumor from two guys we know have been known to make things up.

2. Jay Bouwmeester is not coming to Philadelphia. The money, and long term cap implications it would take would **** this team three times over.

I'm willing to give Emery a chance as long as it's a one year deal. The cap will be low, and if after 15-20 games I don't like him, then I'll get on his ass, but for now I'm taking a wait and see attitude, unlike most of you here.

Old
06-03-2009, 02:59 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Im pretty sure it was this thread alone that killed HF boards.

Old
06-03-2009, 03:01 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin View Post
Im pretty sure it was this thread alone that killed HF boards.
Prolly, HF has been **** since the deadline.

Old
06-03-2009, 03:04 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
Two things

1. This didn't happen yet. Calm down people, this is nothing more than a rumor from two guys we know have been known to make things up.

2. Jay Bouwmeester is not coming to Philadelphia. The money, and long term cap implications it would take would **** this team three times over.

I'm willing to give Emery a chance as long as it's a one year deal. The cap will be low, and if after 15-20 games I don't like him, then I'll get on his ass, but for now I'm taking a wait and see attitude, unlike most of you here.
I could see them chase Bouwmeester with the intent to trade Timonen in a year or 2 and have Bouwmeeser be our long term option.

I know Timonen has a NTC, so please dont post about how impossible it is to move him and how much I stink as a poster for saying it, but you never know.

Sign Jay-Bo, and Emery. Trade Lupul and Jones. Let Knuble walk. Trade Carle in the future.

The team can get it done. I also would not be surprised if Carter and/or Gagne was NOT a Flyer in 3 or 4 years.

Closed Thread