HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Emery could sign for one-year @ 1.5m (post #553)

Closed Thread

Old
06-03-2009, 03:06 PM
Opus
Boondoggle

vCash: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
We aren't screwed as long as we don't hand out any more massive contracts to skaters.

If we hand out 6.5 million or so to J-Bouw, that's a big expenditure considering that would buy us Biron and 1-2 cheapie forwards.
Jbo isn't coming to Philly, ain't going to happen.

5 million for Biron is way too much money, IMO. I know I'lll get flamed for saying so, but I just don't feel he's worth that kind of dough. Sure, he's a great guy, but he's not a 5 million dollar goalie, IMO.

Old
06-03-2009, 03:09 PM
IrishSniper87

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post

5 million for Biron is way too much money, IMO. I know I'lll get flamed for saying so, but I just don't feel he's worth that kind of dough. Sure, he's a great guy, but he's not a 5 million dollar goalie, IMO.
If the Flyers sign Emery for $1.5 and trade Lupul, what make you think they WON'T chase Jay-Bo????

Either way, this is the Flyers, they will do something.

Old
06-03-2009, 03:09 PM
Joey Mac

Quote:

i agree. biron is a quality goaltender, but hasn't shown that he's worth 5mil... i don't see any team signing him for that much

Old
06-03-2009, 03:13 PM
Opus
Boondoggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
If the Flyers sign Emery for $1.5 and trade Lupul, what make you think they WON'T chase Jay-Bo????

Either way, this is the Flyers, they will do something.
They can chase JBo all they want, doesn't mean he'll sign here. I would love JBo (check my post history), but it's a pipe dream. He's going to probable be an Edmonton Oiler and play at home. Another option is the Maple Leafs. The Flyers in no position to give JBo the farm. Even if they choose to move Lupul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Mac View Post
i agree. biron is a quality goaltender, but hasn't shown that he's worth 5mil... i don't see any team signing him for that much
I wouldn't be surprised to see Colorado offer him 5.

Old
06-03-2009, 03:14 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:

Meh I won't flame you for the 5 mill, I'd be very hesitant about paying him that, but does he say no to 4 years 18 mill?

I doubt it and I think he's worth that kind of money.

Old
06-03-2009, 03:16 PM
Rick Deckard

I like the deal, from what I read until now we signed a young starting goaltender, who already had a great playoff run, to a short, hopefully cheap contract. Nothing wrong with that. Its not like Luongo, Brodeur and Lundqvist will be UFAs this offseason.

Quote:
I'd be more pissed with the Flyers giving Biron 18 million over 4 years, than Emery 1.5-2 million for one year, with a club option on a 2nd. That free's up some cap room to go after the missing defenseman this club needs.
For the record, options for extra years aren't allowed under the current CBA.

Old
06-03-2009, 03:17 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
I could see them chase Bouwmeester with the intent to trade Timonen in a year or 2 and have Bouwmeeser be our long term option.

I know Timonen has a NTC, so please dont post about how impossible it is to move him and how much I stink as a poster for saying it, but you never know.

Sign Jay-Bo, and Emery. Trade Lupul and Jones. Let Knuble walk. Trade Carle in the future.

The team can get it done. I also would not be surprised if Carter and/or Gagne was NOT a Flyer in 3 or 4 years.
It's actually a NMC, and you don't trade your most important and most valuable player, irregardless.

Old
06-03-2009, 03:17 PM
Liliaceae
Sens ❤

If this happens I will be very excited

Old
06-03-2009, 03:21 PM
Opus
Boondoggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Deckard View Post
For the record, options for extra years aren't allowed under the current CBA.
I didn't realize that, thanks Rick.

I think there may also be another factor in NOT resigning Biron. If he's gone, perhaps it makes it easier to get rid of Briere at some point before his contract expires. It would certainly make it a little easier if his best friend wasn't around anymore.

You never know.

Old
06-03-2009, 03:24 PM
Adam Warlock

Quote:
They can chase JBo all they want, doesn't mean he'll sign here. I would love JBo (check my post history), but it's a pipe dream. He's going to probable be an Edmonton Oiler and play at home. Another option is the Maple Leafs. The Flyers in no position to give JBo the farm. Even if they choose to move Lupul.
Why wouldnt he want to come here? Philly is a contending team, which is what he wants. They have a passionate fan base and a great reputation for how they treat their players. Its a great place to live and start a family, and Jbo is around the same age as most of the other flyers...so he'd fit in great here.

As for the salary...if they get emery cheap, trade lupul and waive jones...then in the future shed carle and knuble...that clears up a lot of space...almost 13 mil. It wont be easy, but its not impossible.

Old
06-03-2009, 03:29 PM
Caseus
squirrelly wrath

Emery's faults were his ego, work ethic and immaturity. He's definitely got talent, and unquestionably the right mentality to be a goaltender. He just desperately needed a kick in the fanny. Hopefully his stint in Russia gave it to him.

In my mind, especially for the rumored $1.5 million salary, the potential rewards greatly outweigh the risks.

Old
06-03-2009, 03:32 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
It's actually a NMC, and you don't trade your most important and most valuable player, irregardless.
I know, but he doesnt have age on his side.

However, if anything, he will probably get injured before he gets traded.

Old
06-03-2009, 03:33 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Think about it this way. Here are the only starting goalies on the free agent market:

Nikolai Khabibulin-Don't want any part of him. In his two contract years, his GAA is something like .4 lower than in non-contract years. He's not in our price range anyway. 36 years old.
Manny Fernandez-Injury prone, has only ever really played in a defensive system. Dallas (Hitchcock era), Minnesota, and Boston and the Flyers certainly can't boast the defense either of these teams could. Will probably cost at least 3.5, which doesn't give us any room to address other areas. 34 years old.
Martin Biron-We know what we're getting with Marty, and rumor is he wants too much money. I won't give him anything more than 4.25, and he probably knows a team that needs a goalie will throw more than that at him. Again, wouldn't give us room to address any other areas. 31 years old.
Dwayne Roloson-old as hell. Would be a one year stopgap at best, and isn't even as good as Emery, or Biron. Cost might not be much, but again I want no part of him. 39 years old.
Craig Anderson-Anderson is the only option I kind of like, but not as a #1 goalie. I wouldn't be opposed to going into the season with a tandem of Emery and Anderson. One gets hurt or doesn't play well, the other is more than capable of stepping in and playing well. Wouldn't cost much, their combined salaries would probably equal what Biron would want.

That's it, that's the free agent market for decent goalies this year.

Old
06-03-2009, 03:33 PM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

Send a message via AIM to flyguy
I really don't like this. If Emery starts acting like he has done in the past what would Stevens do to curb so it didn't effect his on ice play? Nothing. If Holmgren does this, I see it being a pivot for his job security. How Emery fares, so does Holmgren IMO. I know people may jump down my throat because of that statement, but I really don't see the smarts in this move. This seems like a high risk, mediocre reward move.

Old
06-03-2009, 03:37 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
Why wouldnt he want to come here? Philly is a contending team, which is what he wants. They have a passionate fan base and a great reputation for how they treat their players. Its a great place to live and start a family, and Jbo is around the same age as most of the other flyers...so he'd fit in great here.

As for the salary...if they get emery cheap, trade lupul and waive jones...then in the future shed carle and knuble...that clears up a lot of space...almost 13 mil. It wont be easy, but its not impossible.
Many players do NOT enjoy playing for their hometown team. The pressure is to much or something.

Why else would he want to be in Edmonton? That team sucks. Who pays Horcoff and Penner that much dough? Visnovski is injury prone (but good) and even if Souray is out and they have the cap space, Jay-Bo can only do so much in front of Roloson.

I would NOT be excited to be an Oiler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamy View Post
Emery's faults were his ego, work ethic and immaturity. He's definitely got talent, and unquestionably the right mentality to be a goaltender. He just desperately needed a kick in the fanny. Hopefully his stint in Russia gave it to him.

In my mind, especially for the rumored $1.5 million salary, the potential rewards greatly outweigh the risks.
Exactly, low risk - high reward.

Old
06-03-2009, 03:38 PM
Cleary84

I say bring him here, we need to take some chances.

Btw, sweet avy Opus.

Old
06-03-2009, 03:41 PM
aqsw
PM

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
Emerys a good goalie who got ****ed by Brian Murray and Paddock.

Granted Emery should have handled the situation better but the story goes like this.

06/07 Sens suck to begin the season, Emery steps up in November and carries the team. Team starts coming around in Jan, and goes to the cup. Turns out Emery had an injured wrist and needed surgery. Dude sucked it up when the team needed him.

07/08 Emery gets to it late due to surgey. Ready to go mid October. Team gives Gerber the number 1 gig. Emery felt he earned it and did not need to work for it. Locker room division as a group supports Emery and a group supports Gerber. Season of chaos.

Emery said after bought out, he should have worked harder. Needed to mature. Went to KHL and dominated.

He'll be a solid pickup. He was the most important player on the cup run season, the Sens were on the verge of a shakeup and it was Emery who came in and was flat out dominate until the team came together.
WOW!! Did you ever leave out a lot of info, such as missing flights,
practises, leaving practice early when the players want to shoot, throwing sticks, etc. etc. etc. ( he's a cancer, and will only hurt any team he's on, IMO). I think getting a real pro like Lehtonen is the answer. Hopefully without having to pay too much!!

Old
06-03-2009, 03:41 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Two things

1. This didn't happen yet. Calm down people, this is nothing more than a rumor from two guys we know have been known to make things up.
Well, go to the Flyers' official site and watch the Conversation with Paul Holmgren, Pt 2 I believe. He is asked about Emery and says he's been talking to his agent a lot about Emery and other players (I'm going to look that up and edit if I find a list of J P Barry's clients).

If the deal isn't already done, it's only because Homer realizes he's screwed with the cap and he can't deal Jones until he's proven he's healed.

Signing Emery, with someone like Boucher or Niitty as backup is OK for now. If Emery sucks or acts up, trade for a goalie and waive him. No problem.

Old
06-03-2009, 03:42 PM
Mo0sE

Send a message via AIM to Mo0sE
I would like tosee Marty back but @ 5 mil thats a bit much . The UFA agent pretty much sucks as far as goalies... and if we traded for one we would most likely have to deflate our offense. Ray is one of the best options imo...his cap hit doesn't look like it would kill us and who knows, maybe he could return to the way he played in the finals in 2007.

Old
06-03-2009, 03:44 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Think about it this way. Here are the only starting goalies on the free agent market:

Nikolai Khabibulin-Don't want any part of him. In his two contract years, his GAA is something like .4 lower than in non-contract years. He's not in our price range anyway. 36 years old.
Manny Fernandez-Injury prone, has only ever really played in a defensive system. Dallas (Hitchcock era), Minnesota, and Boston and the Flyers certainly can't boast the defense either of these teams could. Will probably cost at least 3.5, which doesn't gi
ve us any room to address other areas. 34 years old.
Martin Biron-We know what we're getting with Marty, and rumor is he wants too much money. I won't give him anything more than 4.25, and he probably knows a team that needs a goalie will throw more than that at him. Again, wouldn't give us room to address any other areas. 31 years old.
Dwayne Roloson-old as hell. Would be a one year stopgap at best, and isn't even as good as Emery, or Biron. Cost might not be much, but again I want no part of him. 39 years old.
Craig Anderson-Anderson is the only option I kind of like, but not as a #1 goalie. I wouldn't be opposed to going into the season with a tandem of Emery and Anderson. One gets hurt or doesn't play well, the other is more than capable of stepping in and playing well. Wouldn't cost much, their combined salaries would probably equal what Biron would want.

That's it, that's the free agent market for decent goalies this year.
Isn't Clemmensen a FA, too? I think he's a pretty interesting name after what he did with Brodeur out this year.

Old
06-03-2009, 03:46 PM
dr.rosenrosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersguru View Post
If signing Emery leads to JayBo, I am all for it.
or if it's a really cheap two contract, otherwise i'm not sure if i like this move at all.

Old
06-03-2009, 03:47 PM
Get Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Meh I won't flame you for the 5 mill, I'd be very hesitant about paying him that, but does he say no to 4 years 18 mill?

I doubt it and I think he's worth that kind of money.
Even if he were to agree to those terms, would people really want 4 more years of Martin Biron?

Old
06-03-2009, 03:48 PM
Mo0sE

Send a message via AIM to Mo0sE
why the hell does everyone think JBO is coming here if Emery signs? everyone on here *****es about cap space and we all know JBO will get Top Dollar come July 1

Old
06-03-2009, 03:49 PM
Claude28Giroux
praiseG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers84 View Post
I say bring him here, we need to take some chances.

Btw, sweet avy Opus.
I agree.

Old
06-03-2009, 03:51 PM
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner

Would be a fantastic move.

Very good goalie, will have a ton of motivation, and will come cheap. Allowing the Flyers to both sign a d-man (or two), and keep their stacked forward group together.

Closed Thread