HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Did Washington sign Brett Leffler before yesterday's

Old
06-03-2009, 12:55 AM
Trav

vCash: 500
Did Washington sign Brett Leffler before yesterday's

deadline?

Trav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 01:57 AM
WanderingCapsFan

I can't find any indication that they signed him.

Too bad. He's the kind of two-way, character guy they could use.........like Maxime Lacroix.

McPhee just signs offensive defensemen and soft forwards.

I miss the old days of Caps Hockey. Nobody would outwork the Caps. Not anymore. Ahh..........the good old days.

Last edited by WanderingCapsFan: 06-03-2009 at 02:03 AM.
WanderingCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 07:52 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Neither of the beat writers have posted anything about Leffler or Taylor either way (signed or not signed). You'd think they'd at least look into it...

But it wouldn't surprise me if Leffler (at least) went unsigned. We've got lots of new blood already tabbed for the Bears next season and not a ton of extra space to spare in terms of new contracts.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 10:10 AM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingCapsFan View Post
I miss the old days of Caps Hockey. Nobody would outwork the Caps. Not anymore. Ahh..........the good old days.
I don't. I'd much rather watch the current high-wire act than the defensive snooze-fest that was Caps hockey, since the outcome seems to be the same.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 10:32 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Meh, no indication that either were signed. If they were going to be one would have thought it would happen shortly after their junior seasons ended. I tend to doubt either would have been anywhere but South Carolina next season anyway if they were playing pro. Taylor did say he intended to be at Washington's camp in the fall (assuming he doesn't get selected at the draft as a re-entry, which is quite possible).

There is a 50 contracts maximum that McPhee is working under and he's currently at 34 for next season with a number of pending RFAs to deal within the next few months. I'd rather they actually have some room if need be than sign every project forward they can.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 12:12 PM
EYEuhFRAYtee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
I don't. I'd much rather watch the current high-wire act than the defensive snooze-fest that was Caps hockey, since the outcome seems to be the same.
I think we need to find a happy medium. Our current play is great for the regular season but terrible in the post.

EYEuhFRAYtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 12:42 PM
txpd

I dont think I would call their playoff style "terrible". They are not deep enough or experienced enough to have key players out or deminished by injuries. They had enough damage in the defense that it was clear they could barely chase the puck in the Pens series.
Yet it took the Pens 7 games to get the second round series.

There is not a lot wrong with their play that more experience and few more planets properly aligning wouldn't fix.

They play with great heart and too many mistakes. Their ability to win those elimination games the past two seasons shows the heart. That they fell into that position shows the lack of experience.

Yes, they need an assistant coach for defense that can work them more efficiently and they need a junk yard dog on defense. Terrible signifies systemic problems and I don't see that.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 05:57 PM
The Viking Fury

Quote:
I can't find any indication that they signed him.

Too bad. He's the kind of two-way, character guy they could use.........like Maxime Lacroix.

McPhee just signs offensive defensemen and soft forwards.

What exactly did all that working get them?

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 06:37 PM
Burgh32

Quote:

OT: Do you really? You mean the Caps that would outwork their opponents yet still lose early in the playoffs to teams more skilled than them? The Caps that were always mediocre enough to be rewarded with a mediocre draft pick year after year? The Caps who were completely irrelevant and uninteresting in the big picture of the NHL? No thanks.

Burgh32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 09:37 PM
WanderingCapsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgh32 View Post
OT: Do you really? You mean the Caps that would outwork their opponents yet still lose early in the playoffs to teams more skilled than them? The Caps that were always mediocre enough to be rewarded with a mediocre draft pick year after year? The Caps who were completely irrelevant and uninteresting in the big picture of the NHL? No thanks.
Just because the Caps of the 80's and 90's underachieved in the playoffs doesn't mean it's bad or counterproductive to show up every night and work hard.

Skill and effort shouldn't be mutually exclusive.

WanderingCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 10:48 PM
dbui72

I agree with you.

If our team worked as hard as the prior teams with less talent, we would be pretty hard to beat.

dbui72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 12:39 AM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Just because the Caps of the 80's and 90's underachieved in the playoffs doesn't mean it's bad or counterproductive to show up every night and work hard.

Well coming from a capitals fan that followed the team as early as those years effort during those times was/is weak sause when it comes to the lack of winning. I appreciated the hard work (back then) but still nothing to look back upon in any halcyon rose colored glasses like it is better than the present.

06-04-2009, 12:23 PM
LSF76

Does Leffler even project to being a fringe NHLer? Seems like he's a poor man's SDR.

LSF76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 04:22 PM
cleaver
We're touched thanks

Quote:
We could scrap the current ad campaign and go with this

Every 2-2 tie (when 5-4 was a common score elsewhere) I would dream of having a team with actual skilled players.

cleaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 05:17 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
I'm with you...I don't miss those talentless mucker teams that couldn't score a goal when it was needed most.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 05:18 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Of course working hard isn't counterproductive. That's why McPhee needs to balance the team with grit and killer work ethic now that he's got the offensive talent.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote