HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Winnik on Off The Record

Old
05-20-2009, 06:33 PM
Chootoi

vCash: 500
Winnik on Off The Record

Dan Winnik was on the OTR panel yesterday. here's a link to the segments.

Balsillie vs. Bettman, Hawks vs. Wings
http://watch.tsn.ca/#clip173666

Cooke knee on Cole
http://watch.tsn.ca/#clip173667

Winnik stayed quiet for the most part on the franchise financialities (smart move because you can tell the panel was ready to pounce). Hopefully our American friends can see these clips.

Chootoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 06:47 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Can I get Cliff's? Sorry, I have no audio.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 06:51 PM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chootoi View Post
Winnik stayed quiet for the most part on the franchise financialities (smart move because you can tell the panel was ready to pounce). Hopefully our American friends can see these clips.
He did say unequivocally that he believes the team should stay in Phoenix and that he believes the team can be successful in Phoenix. That may not seem like much, but he is the first player I have heard come right out and say it.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 06:55 PM
ShootThePuckCoyotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakko View Post
He did say unequivocally that he believes the team should stay in Phoenix and that he believes the team can be successful in Phoenix. That may not seem like much, but he is the first player I have heard come right out and say it.
Thank god someone said it. The silence is killing me and until I heard there was a gag order was pissing me off. The players should say something, I am probably wrong but the silence makes it seem like they want out too.

ShootThePuckCoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 07:18 PM
Z4dfence

Send a message via AIM to Z4dfence
I have a feeling we're gonna start hearing some stuff from the team really soon. Just a gut feeling don't quote me on it LOL

Z4dfence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 12:29 AM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Who in the hell is this panel? "It's hard to get people off the golf Courses in Scottsdale and into an Arena in Glendale..." No It's hard to get our players MINDS off the Golf Courses and INTO the arena.

TeamTippett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 10:31 AM
knowsthegame

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakko View Post
I watched the clip and it is very clear that Winnik wants the team to stay in Phoenix and spoke with confidence that hockey can be successful in Phoenix.
Good for Dan -got to respect his loyalty to the team. First class guy.

knowsthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 11:47 AM
zyllyx
STH Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTurris View Post
Who in the hell is this panel? "It's hard to get people off the golf Courses in Scottsdale and into an Arena in Glendale..."
...which is why the team needs to stop marketing to the bloody East Side so exclusively and start billing this as the West Side's team. If the East Siders would rather golf than see hockey, then I don't need them dominating the discussion.

(No offense to my buds from the East Side who post here, of course... )

zyllyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 12:57 PM
AZCOYOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowsthegame View Post
I watched the clip and it is very clear that Winnik wants the team to stay in Phoenix and spoke with confidence that hockey can be successful in Phoenix.
Good for Dan -got to respect his loyalty to the team. First class guy.
He's also from Ontario.

AZCOYOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 05:04 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogary Flayotes View Post
He's also from Ontario.
Toronto area if I'm not mistaken.

By the way, cool new avatar.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 05:13 PM
Mayo Taco Monday

vCash: 510
Send a message via MSN to Mayo Taco Monday
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX FireBirds18 View Post
Toronto area if I'm not mistaken.

By the way, cool new avatar.
Coyote Cthulhu?

Mayo Taco Monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 07:02 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootThePuckCoyotes View Post
Thank god someone said it. The silence is killing me and until I heard there was a gag order was pissing me off. The players should say something, I am probably wrong but the silence makes it seem like they want out too.
What?! I didn't even realize there was a gag order. Hell that makes me feel A LOT better. I was starting to get bitter at why no one, especially Doaner, was not speaking up on behalf of the fans here.

I hope the players realize we've all been in this together and while it's really tough right now, one day it's going to work and it's going to feel awesome!!! No one in the league, will be able to experience what the players and fans of the Coyotes are going to feel. lol...it's gonna be like the miracle on ice!

Anyway, props to Winnik for speaking up on behalf of little 'ol Phoenix!

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 08:42 PM
Jake16

I've never heard or seen anything about an actual "gag order" other than from AM 1060's Roc and Manuch at the Save the Coyotes rally last Saturday. No order by the court.

Jake16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 10:28 PM
AnalogMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake16 View Post
I've never heard or seen anything about an actual "gag order" other than from AM 1060's Roc and Manuch at the Save the Coyotes rally last Saturday. No order by the court.
I heard it from a couple of people inside the organization (prior to this week's hearing) that it was an in-house order. I was really pushing the fact that the organization was so quiet and there was real anger and concern on the part of the fans that the org didn't care. Was told emphatically they were ordered to not say more than what Daly and Bettman were saying. Maybe the court session lifted the gag?

AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 12:58 AM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayo Taco Monday View Post
Coyote Cthulhu?
Very well done

I reserve the right to change my opinion if I see any lolthulhu avatars though.

mouser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 06:52 PM
Chootoi

Just a heads up that Shane Doan will be on OTR on Wednesday. I'm sure we can expect the usual bombardment of potshots at the phoenix fanbase. in any case, tune in if you can, and if you can't i'm sure someone will have the cliffs.

Old
06-01-2009, 09:30 PM
AZCOYOT

Someone keep an eye out if this ends up onliine, i'm sure it will

AZCOYOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 10:21 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chootoi View Post
Just a heads up that Shane Doan will be on OTR on Wednesday. I'm sure we can expect the usual bombardment of potshots at the phoenix fanbase. in any case, tune in if you can, and if you can't i'm sure someone will have the cliffs.
And Shane will smile and "awe shucks", and cliche his totally vanilla little way through the whole thing. Just a guess. Maybe he'll suprise me. A little game-time fire from him would make me more proud than anything related to the Coyotes since...ever?

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 04:14 PM
AzYotes18

I agree, Doan needs to show that passion he has on the ice when he gets mad...towards the media.

He is so good to the fans here, I know he will represent us well. I think Winny got steam rolled a bit in that "argument" 3 on 1? give me a break. That wasn't a discussion.

Have to get fans off the golf course? whatever. Why didn't they ask someone from the save the coyotes coalition to phone in? BS

AzYotes18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 06:44 PM
Chootoi

ok so here's the clip:

http://watch.tsn.ca/#clip179328

he wasn't on the panel like Winnik was, it was a straight 1-on-1 with Michael Landsberg. Still, I have so give some kudos to both Landsberg and Doan on this one. Doan spoke very much from the heart and was not nearly as dry as you would think (albeit brief on the relocation subject), and for the most part Landsberg just let him talk which was nice to see. There was no badgering.

Anyway here's a paraphrased transcript for whoever might not be able to watch the clip. Not word for word but probably pretty close:

Landsberg: Tell the jury right now why the Coyotes should stay in Phoenix.

Doan: It's very personal for me. As a dad, my kids are in school and they don't want to leave and I've made a lot of friends through the team and at the building whom I don't want to see lose their jobs. I love Phoenix, and I've put in alot of time here to make it work and I really don't want to leave.

Landsberg: And nobody knows the market more than you since you've been there from the start, so give me a reason why you think Phoenix can work as a market.

Doan: The whole valley is an incredible sports market. BUT, it's a front running sports market and if you aren't winning then nobody's going to show up. The Suns have had some success recently since Steve Nash came in and you couldn't get a ticket. Now this season they started to struggle a bit, missed the playoffs and there were alot more empty seats. There's alot of people that come in from the northern states and Canada who love the sport and when you get a team like Toronto or Detroit in town we draw very well. Bottom line is we haven't won.

Landsberg: How do you feel about the players union wanting stiffer penalties for headshots while the GM's say no thank you?

Doan: You look at the Havlat hit and you obviously never want someone to get hurt but that physical element is an emotional part of the game that we need to hang onto. Obviously the cheap shots need to go but the way it's being called now, the refs are doing a great job.

Landsberg: Were you surprised that Havlat after an obvious concussion came back the next game?

Doan: It was good to see. He really showed his competitiveness in coming back. It was impressive.

Landsberg: Gary Bettman wants the union to agree to stiffer drug testing. Would you agree to full season, even 12 month drug testing?

Doan: The whole drug issue in the NHL is kind of a joke to me. If you took a picture of our dressing room with our shirts off you'd believe me. It's one of those things that doesn't belong in the game and I doubt anyone would have an issue with it. I've never seen any problems of the sort in my career.

Landsberg: So can you flash us some skin then to prove it? Cause you say your dressing room really isn't bulked up.

Doan: We have a young team. Kyle Turris and Viktor Tikhonov are both 170 pounds and they aren't the big bulky monsters you expect to see. We have some guys in the dressing room who are pretty small and could maybe use some and if they are then maybe they need to talk to their dealer cause it's terrible stuff. I've been in the league 14 years and never seen anything happening. I'm not saying it's NEVER happened, but it's not even an issue.

Doan was also on again at the end of the show for the "Next Question" segment which if you don't know is kind of a humorous segment where Landsberg asks point-blank sometimes purposely stupid and meaningless questions. I can't find the clip yet but will post if I do.

Old
06-03-2009, 09:50 PM
Chootoi

Next question clip:

http://watch.tsn.ca/#clip179333

General transcript:

Landsberg: Your nickname is 'Doaner', how lame is that?

Doan: It's pretty bad. Not alot of imagination

Landsberg: Who's in better playing shape today? Gretzky or Samuelsson?

Doan: Ulfy. He takes pride in looking good.

Landsberg: I won't explore that further. Has he ever taught you the low bridge in practice?

Doan: No. He says he's never done it either.

Landsberg: When's the last time you asked TGO for an autograph?

Doan: The end of the season.

Landsberg: How many horses do you own?

Doan: Total with the colts and everything probably 100 or so.

Landsberg: Do you wear a cowboy hat in public?

Doan: No. Only urban cowboys wear them.

Landsberg: Let me ask you a question. You're on a plane with Jim Balsillie and your buddy Denny Cordere, who do you sit with?

Doan: Probably Balsillie.

Landsberg: Yeah he's a great guy too. So in that vein lets ask some Hamilton trivia. What is Hamilton's nickname?

Doan: Steeltown

Landsberg: Correct. Who is Copps Coliseum named after?

Doan: I don't know that one.

Landsberg: Victor Copps. What do you call someone who lives in Hamilton?

Doan: I'm not sure... Hamiltonian?

Landsberg: What do you call someone who lives in Phoenix?

Doan: Phoenician.

Landsberg: Very good. What about someone who lives in Halkirk?

Doan: A hick.

Landsberg: I thought you were going to say family.

Doan: That's a good point. I'm related to I think 97 of them.

Landsberg: How did you get to junior high school?

Doan: I rode a horse. Very seldom did I do that but I did do it a couple of times.

Landsberg: Johnny Cash, did he actually show up at your family's ranch?

Doan: Yes he did, for 3 nights. We took him riding.

Landsberg: What's your favourite Johnny Cash song?

Doan: Sunday's Coming.

Landsberg: On Monday's OTR your buddy Georges Laraque said you used to sing 'Diamonds Are Forever', he said make him sing a bit. Let's hear it.

Doan: My wife has even said that I am the worst singer...

Landsberg: Let's hear it.

Doan: JR has proven he's the singer of the group and Georges has tried and he can't do it either.