Notices

Gwinnett Gladiators thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-17-2009, 03:20 PM
Holly Gunning

vCash: 500
Gwinnett Gladiators thread

This thread is to discuss the ECHL Gwinnett Gladiators.

If someone wants to start one just for the Wolves, that's fine too. But they are two different fanbases that we want to invite to post here.

Later tonight after the game I'll post something. For now I'll just mention from the morning skate that Kevin Regan is starting (recently sent down from Providence) and Jeff Mason will be playing wing (normally a D).

Old
01-17-2009, 11:15 PM
Holly Gunning

Starting in goal for the next three games:
Monday: Fallon
Friday: Regan
Saturday: Fallon

The Gladiators played with five D tonight (since Mason was at wing). I asked Jeff Pyle if he was going to try to fill the roster before Monday's game and he said no, not when guys are coming back soon. He cited Scheller, but today Scheller told me he was 2-3 weeks from coming back. It could mean that Pyle expects Berti and Hobson back soon and didn't want to say that.

Last edited by Holly Gunning: 01-18-2009 at 06:25 PM.
Old
01-20-2009, 06:17 PM
Holly Gunning

Jake Anderson was waived by his UHL team yesterday, so if Jeff wants to add a warm body at forward, he's available. John Anderson's son, attended training camp.

Regarding the past and upcoming games against the Everblades, the second goal scored on Saturday was precisely what the Everblades were practicing in morning skate: coming at the net in waves with the third man high. Until the Gladiators start expecting the third man to be there and be dangerous, they aren't going to be able to defend them.

Last edited by Holly Gunning: 01-20-2009 at 06:42 PM.
Old
02-02-2009, 11:19 PM
Holly Gunning

Kevin Regan is being assigned to the Alaska Aces.

http://community.adn.com/node/137494

Old
02-07-2009, 10:16 PM
Holly Gunning

The one goal that Fallon gave up tonight, he said it went off the D's ankle and redirected.

I was asking him some follow-up questions for a feature, and a couple guys were kind of heckling him off and on as we went. I said, you live with Siddall, but is it just you two or is there someone else?

Fallon looked up at the ceiling, with an "oh crap" look on his face. After about five seconds, a voice from the weight room behind him yelled, Dirk Southern! You forgot my name?!?!?

He sure did. I'm not sure how that happens, but at that moment, he couldn't come up with it.

Old
02-14-2009, 09:48 AM
Holly Gunning

The Gladiators have picked up former Georgia Tech club goalie Nick Rice as an emergency backup tonight.

Last edited by Holly Gunning: 02-14-2009 at 09:57 AM.
Old
02-15-2009, 10:09 AM
Holly Gunning

Not to pour salt in wounds, but the Gladiators' 9-3 loss last night came at the hands of a team that was playing with only four defensemen. And they weren't even South Carolina's best four. But as the Stingrays coach said, sometimes four is enough if they're the right four.

Old
02-15-2009, 10:31 AM
Georgia Dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly Gunning View Post
Not to pour salt in wounds, but the Gladiators' 9-3 loss last night came at the hands of a team that was playing with only four defensemen. And they weren't even South Carolina's best four. But as the Stingrays coach said, sometimes four is enough if they're the right four.
Ouch! Looks like they could have done with less then 4.

Old
02-15-2009, 07:31 PM
Shameus

Went to the game vs. Charlotte this afternoon, and unless the Glads arena stat guy went a little stat happy, the Charlotte keeper made 53 saves in a 2-1 loss to the Glads. I couldn't believe that stat.

Old
02-19-2009, 06:00 AM
Holly Gunning

The Albany River Rats' bus crashed last night, and there are three serious injuries. The Gladiators play their ECHL affiliate the Florida Everblades on Sunday afternoon. It could be a depleted roster if Albany needs to fill some spots.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olymp...96382046_x.htm

Old
02-24-2009, 08:45 PM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
This thread is to discuss the ECHL Gwinnett Gladiators.

If someone wants to start one just for the Wolves, that's fine too. But they are two different fanbases that we want to invite to post here.

Later tonight after the game I'll post something. For now I'll just mention from the morning skate that Kevin Regan is starting (recently sent down from Providence) and Jeff Mason will be playing wing (normally a D).
I would but you need to be a mod to make it a sticky....

Old
02-24-2009, 08:54 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvesfan View Post
I would but you need to be a mod to make it a sticky....
Hey, I'm a mod

Start the thread and I can do the rest.

Old
02-26-2009, 09:20 AM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
Hey, I'm a mod

Start the thread and I can do the rest.
I did!! Now you can do the rest!!

Old
03-07-2009, 11:19 PM
Holly Gunning

Dave Caruso was back in the house tonight, playing for the Trenton Devils. It was his first game with Trenton all year and it showed in that the goalie and defense weren't quite on the same page. One goal went in off a faceoff.

There were lots of people looking to talk to Dave afterward in the hall. Among them was goalie coach Al Blevins, who said he was very torn on who to root for, since he had worked with Dave for so many years.

I didn't talk to Dave, as I had business with one of his teammates. In other news, Denny and Pospisil will likely be reassigned to Chicago after this weekend, but that doesn't mean they won't be back later.

Let's see if I can attach a photo here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dave sm.jpg‎ (68.2 KB, 2 views)

Old
03-23-2009, 06:08 PM
Holly Gunning

John Marks will join the ECHL Florida Everblades for the rest of the year.

http://floridaeverblades.com/news/pr...article_id=449

I think you actually have to give Malcolm Cameron some credit for recognizing that he could not lead this very talented team to the cup. Marks is a very inspirational guy, and you know, this just might work...

Last edited by Holly Gunning: 03-23-2009 at 10:06 PM.
Old
03-28-2009, 11:12 PM
Holly Gunning

Big win by the Gladiators. Jeff Mason thinks Berti's big night was due to his new mustache. Siddall brought the stache back from Chicago, and it's going to be the playoff team-builder this year. Berti just shaved down from a beard to mustache last night and scored a goal and assist tonight. Coincidence?

Old
04-03-2009, 10:42 PM
Holly Gunning

It's all coming down to the last game of the season. The Gladiators' magic number is 1 -- they need to either gain a point or have Mississippi miss out on one (fail to get two) tomorrow to make the playoffs. I'll be heading to Charlotte to cover the game for the Gwinnett Daily Post, who are short-staffed.

It was a very somber locker room after the game. Jeff Pyle talked to the media before the team, which is unusual because the players have to sit at their lockers waiting during this period. Finally, to them he talked about getting pucks deep and turnovers, and "looking for the best guys on the ice." (Not sure what that implied.) Fallon will start again.

Last edited by Holly Gunning: 04-03-2009 at 10:47 PM.
Old
04-10-2009, 12:38 AM
Holly Gunning

So I'm in Moorhead, Minnesota for the Under-18s and talking to Toni Rajala, a Finn. As it happens, Troy Milam was on his team this year. I asked if the Finns called him Milo, as he was always known in Gwinnett. Through an interpreter, which only made it funnier, Rajala said, "no, he's 'Troy.'" Hee, hee.

Rajala did say that Milo helped him a lot with his English this year.

Old
04-16-2009, 09:38 PM
Holly Gunning

Jeff Pyle is driven insane when his players pass pucks through the middle of the ice for giveaways -- he calls it serving up a pizza. Bad things happen when you do this. Over and over.

Well, tonight Brennan Turner cleared a puck high in the air, sending Tom Zanoski for a breakaway that became the OT winner. While I was interviewing Turner about the pass, Pyle walks by, pats him on the back and says "That's the only time I'm OK with you sending it up the middle."

And no, it wasn't an intentional spring. "[Zanoski] was calling for it wide side and I just wanted to throw it up," Turner said. "It's a play actually that Florida likes to do off d-zone faceoffs. I just threw it up, wanted to get it out of the zone, looking to change, end of my shift and it ended up being the game-winner."

(Game 4 is Friday at home, by the way)

Last edited by Holly Gunning: 04-16-2009 at 11:09 PM.
Old
04-19-2009, 07:14 PM
Holly Gunning

Well, that's it, the Gladiators lost the series to the Everblades. This was never the team of destiny, which everyone knew, so the emotions were pretty subdued.

Here's a couple photos from the end. The first is after the horn sounded -- Marchesi hanging his head as Pyle starts walking out onto the ice. Then John Marks and Pyle shake hands.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg marchesi hang sm.jpg‎ (60.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg marks pyle sm.jpg‎ (50.3 KB, 3 views)

Old
05-08-2009, 05:39 PM
Holly Gunning

I was doing some research on a Swede and came across this -- Pat Bateman signed with Belfast in the British League.

http://www.belfastgiants.com/archive...r-pat-bateman/

I wouldn't say he's an AHL-level player though. Jeff must have been in a very generous mood that day.

Old
05-09-2009, 01:53 AM
toph2o

Quote:
I was doing some research on a Swede and came across this -- Pat Bateman signed with Belfast in the British League.

http://www.belfastgiants.com/archive...r-pat-bateman/

I wouldn't say he's an AHL-level player though. Jeff must have been in a very generous mood that day.
Great recruiting idea on Belfast's part though, not sure how exactly it works but getting paid to play hockey, in Europe, AND get your MBA... Smart move for a career minor-league player looking at a future after hockey.

Old
06-04-2009, 09:27 PM
Holly Gunning

Ryan Mahrle follows in Bateman's footsteps.

http://www.vipershockey.co.uk/latest...ins-the-vipers

Old
06-05-2009, 07:36 AM
kracker1

Gladiator brings hockey camp to Gwinnett

From today's Gwinnett paper:

Gladiator brings hockey camp to Gwinnett
DULUTH - Raised in a single-parent home, Dan Sullivan couldn't afford to go to formal hockey camps in the summer.
Maybe if he had, Sullivan says, he wouldn't have needed to use his fists to make it to the professional ranks.

http://gwinnettdailypost.com/main.as...rticleID=60609

Closed Thread