HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Winter Classic 2010 Thread Discussion including Raffle/Tickets

Closed Thread

Old
06-05-2009, 12:07 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Winter Classic 2010 Thread Discussion including Raffle/Tickets

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=4232301

Quote:
It looks like the potential opponents for the Boston Bruins in the next New Year's Day outdoor game at Fenway Park has been narrowed to two teams, the Philadelphia Flyers or Washington Capitals, ESPN.com has learned.
I wager they pick the Caps for this one, and we host the next outdoor game.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 10-21-2009 at 10:04 AM.
Old
06-05-2009, 12:11 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
I'd rather host an outdoor game and wait a year.

Besides, Id love to see Caps V Boston in Fenway, because none of those ****** caps fans would make the trip.

Old
06-05-2009, 12:17 PM
SeanL44
Welcome to Hellbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin View Post
because none of those ****** caps fans would make the trip.
This is exactly why I think it will be Flyers vs Bruins... which is fine with me because I'll be up there and with tickets already (Flyers and Bruins season ticket holder for the win!)

Old
06-05-2009, 12:27 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Frickin typical that I'm going to graduate in December and the Flyers might be there January 1st when I'll probably be joining the unemployment line.

Old
06-05-2009, 12:28 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
I hope its the Caps, because I'd rather host our own, and the Flyers want to host their own, but Bettman doesn't like our plan. That said, if there's a place I'd like the Flyers to play the Winter Classic on the road, it's Fenway.

Old
06-05-2009, 12:36 PM
Kunitziwa

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to Kunitziwa
what I don't understand is why they don't make these rivalry games. why not Montreal vs Boston? two Original 6 teams...again, is a great matchup and i think would make everyone happy. then the next years if the Flyers host one ide like to see it against the Pens(how awesome would that be?), but having already had an outdoor game, ide say NJ or NYR would be a better choice.

Old
06-05-2009, 12:42 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staalin87 View Post
what I don't understand is why they don't make these rivalry games. why not Montreal vs Boston? two Original 6 teams...again, is a great matchup and i think would make everyone happy. then the next years if the Flyers host one ide like to see it against the Pens(how awesome would that be?), but having already had an outdoor game, ide say NJ or NYR would be a better choice.
Montreal has already played in one, and everyone wants to be involved...thus why Montreal is not a priority. Additionally, Montreal represents a zero audience for NBC. As is true for any Canadian team, thus I would not expect a Canadian team to be seriously considered for an outdoor game being televised on NBC.

Old
06-05-2009, 12:53 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Montreal has already played in one, and everyone wants to be involved...thus why Montreal is not a priority. Additionally, Montreal represents a zero audience for NBC. As is true for any Canadian team, thus I would not expect a Canadian team to be seriously considered for an outdoor game being televised on NBC.
This this this.

NBC hosting it, look for Bruins-Flyers with a Caps-Rangers game next year in NYC.

Something like that.

Old
06-05-2009, 01:16 PM
UseYourAllusion

I hope it's the Caps. I'm still holding out hope for Flyers-Pens in happy valley, which would be a huge spectacle, and a nice show for the NHL.

Old
06-05-2009, 01:21 PM
Kunitziwa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Kinda forgot about that game, was the Mon vs Edm game actually considered winter classic, i thought the Pit vs Buf game was the first to be dubbed that? it would be nice to see Boston face one of their Canadian rivals but i guess ratings are more important :/ .

Old
06-05-2009, 01:22 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staalin87 View Post
Kinda forgot about that game, was the Mon vs Edm game actually considered winter classic, i thought the Pit vs Buf game was the first to be dubbed that? it would be nice to see Boston face one of their Canadian rivals but i guess ratings are more important :/ .
I believe they called it the "Heritage Classic," but I think they still count it.

Old
06-05-2009, 01:32 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Montreal does make too much sense to play Boston at the Fens. But I doubt Bettman and the american networks are not crazy about that idea. That said I think and hope its Washington that gets the game.
As far as the Flyers getting the outdoor game the only thing I heard that couldnt work was the idea of playing Pittsburgh at Penn State. Had not heard of Bettman not liking any other proposal.

Old
06-05-2009, 01:34 PM
Kunitziwa

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
This this this.

NBC hosting it, look for Bruins-Flyers with a Caps-Rangers game next year in NYC.

Something like that.
I think Flyers Rangers would be a better matchup still, keep in it NY though, that would be huuuuge for the NHL. Not to say Philly or DC wouldn't be.

Old
06-05-2009, 01:35 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
I believe they called it the "Heritage Classic," but I think they still count it.
There was a pre-season game, too, in 1991:

Old
06-05-2009, 01:39 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
There was a pre-season game, too, in 1991:

That's crazy, I never heard of that. I used to be soaked in sweat playing in rinks. I can't even imagine playing outside in Vegas.

Old
06-05-2009, 01:42 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1161
Quote:
That's crazy, I never heard of that. I used to be soaked in sweat playing in rinks. I can't even imagine playing outside in Vegas.
http://www.nytimes.com/1991/09/29/sp...gewanted=print
Quote:

Sure Wayne Gretzky scored a goal, and for that matter the Los Angeles Kings beat the Rangers, 5-2, before a sellout crowd of more than 13,000 spectators, but for all the hockey derring-do Friday night, the exhibition game seemed more an engineering feat than an athletic achievement.

That's because the game was played outdoors in Las Vegas, Nev., in 85-degree temperature not usually associated with a sport in which ice is the essential ingredient.

Held at the Caesars Palace outdoor arena, the first hockey game played in Las Vegas since 1968 and the first ever held outdoors there, required plenty of preparation, including trucking in three huge refrigeration units, three times the normal ice power for a National Hockey League game, at a cost of $135,000.

Among other things, hardboard insulation coated with a vapor barrier was laid down on the arena floor, then covered with sand to form the base for 22 miles of refrigeration tubes, five-sixteenths of an inch in diameter, which circulated a mixture of super-cooled methanol and water. Some Skepticism

Because N.H.L. officials were just a bit skeptical, technicians began spraying on the succesive thin layers of water on Tuesday so the rink could be tested Thursday night.

During the 95-degree days, the ice was protected from the sun by a reflective blanket.

Old
06-05-2009, 01:47 PM
UseYourAllusion

85? Ridiculous. I guess we can put to bed the debate over whether or not it's too balmy in PA for an outdoor game.

Old
06-05-2009, 02:05 PM
pelts35.com

The NHL would be foolish not to put the Ovechkins, I mean Caps, in the game.

Regardless of which teams play in the game, the ballpark will be sold out. What matters to the NHL is television ratings and Ovechkin will result in the best possible ratings.

Old
06-05-2009, 02:23 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
I'd rather it be the Caps. I'd rather host our own closer to Philly, and I could only hope it would be in Happy Valley against the Pens, even though the Pens have already played in one. If it is us, cool, I'll be there, but I'd prefer to have our own.

Old
06-05-2009, 03:43 PM
TheKingPin

I too would rather host one, but I would LOVE to get tickets to fenway to see the Flyers, that would be amazing.

Old
06-05-2009, 04:49 PM
McNasty

I imagine the 2011 season will feature two western conference teams as they will probably go back and forth. I would like the pens but I would also like to play the Rangers at Yankee stadium, although ticket prices might be an issue.

All in all I just want the Flyers to be in one thats reasonable to travel to, and Fenway is one of those places I've never been but want to go to.

Old
06-05-2009, 04:51 PM
Hollywood Couturier

I wonder what jerseys would the Flyers wear? since they have brought back old jerseys for this event in the past. Way to make some more money...

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Old
06-05-2009, 04:52 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Hamels View Post
I wonder what jerseys would the Flyers wear? since they have brought back old jerseys for this event in the past. Way to make some more money...
cooperalls

Old
06-06-2009, 10:12 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
The only way a Canadian team gets an outdoor game, is if they play another Canadian team a la the Heritage Classic, where people only in Canada will watch.

Old
06-06-2009, 10:43 AM
PhillyFan4Ever

Quote:
cooperalls
maybe its just me,but why cant there be 2 games on new years?one the battle of PA and the other one. do one at noon, then one at 4 just as the sun goes down.

Last edited by PhillyFan4Ever: 06-06-2009 at 10:53 AM.
Closed Thread