HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2008 Draft

Old
06-05-2009, 02:10 PM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
2008 Draft

I was just wondering what people think if the 2008 draft now that it has been an entire season. Obviously hindsight is 20/20 but is there something you would change? Why?

MDZ(OHL)

Stats:
Oshawa 34GP 7G 25A 32P 48PIM
London 28GP 6G 24A 30P 30 PIM
Playoffs 14GP 3G 16A 19P 18PIM

Stepan(College)

Stats:
Univ. of Wisonsin 40GP 9G 24A 33P 6PIM

Grachev(OHL)

Stats:
Brampton 60GP 40G 40A 80P 22PIM
Playoffs 19GP 11G 14A 25P 4PIM

Kundratek(WHL)

Stats:
Medicine Hat 51GP 4G 19A 23P 63PIM
Playoffs 11GP 0G 6A 6P 12PIM

Weise(AHL)

Stats:
Hartford Wolfpack 74GP 11G 12A 23P 64PIM
Playoffs 6GP 3G 1A 4P 2PIM

Doyle(QMJHL)

Stats:
PEI Rocket 59GP 30G 42A 72P 79PIM

Gaulton(OHL)

Stats:
Erie Otters 22GP 1G 5A 6P 4PIM
Playoffs 5GP 0G 0A 0P 4PIM

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 02:41 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
I think it's going to become an excellent draft. The top three choices are looking fantastic, and Kundratek was the best Czech defender during the WJC.

Weise is a big, tough kid that seems to have some very real offensive upside.

Mitch was dealing with conditioning in the wake of his injury, though no one has ever questioned whether the talent was there. Seems like an excellent risk/reward type pick.

Same goes for Doyle. There are questions about his attitude and work ethic, but he has a solid offensive skill set. If everything works out perfectly for him, you have a guy who could play on an NHL second line. If it doesn't, oh well, it was a sixth round pick.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 03:03 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Yeah, I have no problems with that draft, looking back only one year later.

I wanted Erik Karlsson with our first, but he rose & Del Z fell, and thats fine with me, we still got a gamer.

Overall looks good, but again, its been 1 year.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 03:19 PM
Hockey2000nyr

what is really going to hurt this team moving forward is the lack of production we are going to get from the 2007 draft. 2008 will help terms of that...hopefully...but the loss of cherepanov, and the so far bust of lafleur that draft is looking terrible

Hockey2000nyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 03:20 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Since the moment it concluded, I've been of the opinion that this had the potential to be the Rangers' best draft ever (knock wood).

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 03:23 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey2000nyr View Post
what is really going to hurt this team moving forward is the lack of production we are going to get from the 2007 draft. 2008 will help terms of that...hopefully...but the loss of cherepanov, and the so far bust of lafleur that draft is looking terrible
Whereas aside from the Cherepanov and Hagelin picks, I thought '07 had a chance to be one of many, many bad ones...

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 03:36 PM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

No doubt, 08 was a very good year for us.

The only thing I would even considering changing is taking John Carlson over MDZ. But I'm perfectly happy with MDZ so its just a discussion point.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 04:53 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thordic View Post
No doubt, 08 was a very good year for us.

The only thing I would even considering changing is taking John Carlson over MDZ. But I'm perfectly happy with MDZ so its just a discussion point.
Perfectly happy with MDZ? He hasn't proved anything at the NHL level yet!! Pull yourself together. Good pick. We have two potential offensive defense men in the system. Nothing wrong with that at all. I think one of DZ, or Sangs will make a good pairing along with Staal. But the real deal(s) from the draft could be at the forward position. Stepan in the second round and Grachev in the third.

I think we lucked out that Grachev made it to the third round. Hodgson went at number 10 overall, which just falls in the bracket of the proven method of how to build a team. At number 11 he is out of that proven method of drafting good players and has no future.lol.

But look at Grachev's rookie stats. Even better than Hodgson's rookie year and sophomore year with Brampton. Hopefully, he can fulfill a pf role. Seems promising.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 05:11 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Yeah, I have no problems with that draft, looking back only one year later.

I wanted Erik Karlsson with our first, but he rose & Del Z fell, and thats fine with me, we still got a gamer.

Overall looks good, but again, its been 1 year.
Just as the Rangers were about to pick I was hoping for Tedenby or MDZ. Also liked Cuma and Carlson, but so far it looks like we did real well with the pick.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 05:16 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey2000nyr View Post
Max Campbell had a good college season this year, but aside from that a pretty forgettable draft.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 05:17 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I think it's going to become an excellent draft. The top three choices are looking fantastic, and Kundratek was the best Czech defender during the WJC.

Weise is a big, tough kid that seems to have some very real offensive upside.

Mitch was dealing with conditioning in the wake of his injury, though no one has ever questioned whether the talent was there. Seems like an excellent risk/reward type pick.

Same goes for Doyle. There are questions about his attitude and work ethic, but he has a solid offensive skill set. If everything works out perfectly for him, you have a guy who could play on an NHL second line. If it doesn't, oh well, it was a sixth round pick.
How in the world do you know that for sure? They have not proven a thing in the NHL. IDC if you're talking about Tavares or Duchene. This is much more complicated than you can grasp, obviously. Your opinion is not welcome.

Old
06-05-2009, 05:19 PM
eco's bones

On comparing Grachev and Hodgson--they are the same age--or only 3 days apart in age. Whether or not it was Grachev's rookie season--they're still the same age and I would compare last season straight up. Grachev had a great year. I'm sure if the draft were done over again he'd be in the middle of the first round anyway--whether he'll ever be a legit 1st line player? is another question-I think there is a chance but it's as likely he'll fall short of that. FWIW I'm not convinced Hodgson will be a 1st line player either. So I would tend to be cautious still. And cautious as well on Stepan--he will need to build off his first college season-sometimes for whatever reasons it doesn't happen.

MDZ I'm less cautious about and one reason is the great camp he had last year. I'm not sure he's strong enough yet but he's got great natural instincts for the game.

Kundratek seems to have a lot of upside but he was injured early on and had periods of inconsistency and his offense never came around like some people thought it would.

Weise seemed to take a step forward right at the end of the season. He's got size and strength and pretty good hands. He looks like he's going to need at least one more year before he's ready and maybe more.

Doyle had a back injury that set him back a little over halfway through--he never really seemed to get back to where he was before that. He's intriguing but next season he's playing for an NHL contract so he's going to have to improve as well.

Gaulton is a big project still. Hopefully he's over his injuries.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 05:45 PM
gravytrain6t

I should have noted that I thought I would give Grachev a little slack because he was coming over from Russia to play with mostly North Americans. It can be a tough transition. I'm hoping he can be a pf that the rangers so desperately need for years to come. And it might help his transition if Anisimov makes the team and plays steady minutes. Whether either player makes it or not, I love the size and skill there. This team is craving that and it's why I would like the team to bring Antropov back for a few more seasons. But again. It depends on the price and if Sather can shed some salary.

But IMO Antropov needed a change of scenery and out of Toronto.

As far as Doyle goes, I thought he had a real solid year but was unaware of the injuries you mentioned. Also, i had a chance to watch Grachev play while I never saw Doyle play a game. I just have his stats and scouting report to look at. I don't have a source but I also read he may have a bad tendency to lack focus throughout a full game.

Another guy I forgot to mention who we already drafted is Byers. I think he did okay for the Pack during the playoffs but he had a nagging injury the whole year. I thought he had a good enough camp to make the team last year and there was absolutely no need for a Rissmiller signing. But I'm really most anxious to see how Byers performs during training camp and in exhibition games.

He didn't score during pre season last year but I like his skating, size and the tenaciousness he showed around the net. He also appears to be an agitating type player. I liked the way he showed his composure against the Lightning, after throwing a hard body check. Ryan Malone went up to him and dropped his gloves and was bated into a double minor by Byers. We'll see, as October can't come soon enough.

Old
06-05-2009, 11:26 PM
eco's bones

On Doyle--Prospect Park chronicles day to day what our prospects are up to. Off the top of my head sometime around January-February--Chris hurt his back and was out for three weeks or so. After he returned his production slid noticeably. He'd been one of the leading scorers in the QMJHL before that if I remember correctly. It was a tough break and personally having had back problems in the past it's not a lot of fun--though it is variable to the particularities of the injury and the person how it affects someone.

On Byers I'm an unabashed fan--though I'm not sure he wasn't drafted too high. The idiotic side of me likes size and snarl. He has both. He had two almost unexepectedly good years in Hartford. Last year he wrecked his knee but came back for the playoffs. His skating I don't think is too bad but it's something he always has to work at and I'm not sure how his injury last year is going to affect that aspect of his game. If he's over his injury I think he has a good chance to make the Rangers in 09-10.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2009, 12:44 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Since the moment it concluded, I've been of the opinion that this had the potential to be the Rangers' best draft ever (knock wood).
It would be tough to beat 1990 (Weight, Zubov, Nemchinov) or 1982 (Sandstrom, Granato, Kelly Miller)

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2009, 01:35 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

I'm cautiously optimistic. I think 3-4 of these guys could become solid NHLers, which would be huge given our drafting history.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2009, 04:20 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

I think all this ranting about 2007 is a little silly. A player dying of natural causes is no reason to blast the prganization. And I believe we traded the third for Avery, not a bad return at all. 25% of second round draft picks have good NHL careers. Unfortunately not ours from that year.

And I wouldn't close the books on Baranka just yet. He's a good player and certainly coiuld have stuck with the Rangers this year. I wouldn't be surprised if he's back in the NHL in a year.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote