HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

La - Bos

Old
06-04-2009, 03:32 PM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

vCash: 500
La - Bos

To LA: Sturm and Ference
To BOS: Boyle, Richardson, and 3rd '09 / 2nd '10

I'm not sure how fair that is in value but it makes sense to me. The B's get some cap relief, a big depth C, a speedy 3rd/4th liner that hasn't had the opportunity to do much in LA and a pick. LA gets a LW scorer and a capable older vet defenseman to help the young guys along. Thoughts?

DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 03:40 PM
8BostonRocker24

Boston says pass.

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 03:45 PM
BronxBruin

Boyle or Richardson aren't needed as they'd be hard pressed to beat out anyone the B's already have on the team. If the Bruins are goingto trade Sturm and Ference, I'd rather just get picks back.

BronxBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 03:51 PM
embracedbias

Would Sturm waive his NMC (or NTC)?

embracedbias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 04:14 PM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by embracedbias View Post
This assumes he does. He has a history with Lombardi and we all know how Lombardi loves his former Sharks/Flyers.

Old
06-04-2009, 04:34 PM
Flames Fanatic
Truculent Fan

vCash: 50
Why would you need Boyle when you have Colbourne coming and already have Savard, Krejci, Bergeron, Bitz, Yelle, etc at center?

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 04:37 PM
Youngblood93

Quote:
Originally Posted by embracedbias View Post
How many more years does Sturm have on his contract?

Youngblood93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 04:47 PM
bigbadbruins1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivehole93 View Post
How many more years does Sturm have on his contract?
1 year at 3.5 million.

bigbadbruins1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 04:59 PM
Youngblood93

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbruins1 View Post
1 year at 3.5 million.
thanks

Youngblood93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 05:55 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
To LA: Sturm and Ference
To BOS: Boyle, Richardson, and 3rd '09 / 2nd '10

I'm not sure how fair that is in value but it makes sense to me. The B's get some cap relief, a big depth C, a speedy 3rd/4th liner that hasn't had the opportunity to do much in LA and a pick. LA gets a LW scorer and a capable older vet defenseman to help the young guys along. Thoughts?
No offense but I'd rather just have the picks. I don't see Boyle or Richardson ever playing for the Bruins. We have guys better than Boyle in Providence and we can't find room for them (though that may change this year).

For those guys some combo of picks and lesser prospects would be more attractive.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 05:57 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic View Post
Why would you need Boyle when you have Colbourne coming and already have Savard, Krejci, Bergeron, Bitz, Yelle, etc at center?
Yelle is most likely gone and Bitz plays wing mostly, but other than that... yes you are correct. We have no need for Boyle and I don't think he'd beat out guys like Bitz, Sobotka or Marchand and would likely be surpassed by guys like Hamill and Colborne.

Old
06-04-2009, 10:20 PM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
No offense but I'd rather just have the picks. I don't see Boyle or Richardson ever playing for the Bruins. We have guys better than Boyle in Providence and we can't find room for them (though that may change this year).

For those guys some combo of picks and lesser prospects would be more attractive.
Like what? And why would you want lesser prospects?

Old
06-04-2009, 10:56 PM
JMFJ 3

Boyle has shown he can score at the NHL level, I'm not sure LA is ready to cut all ties yet.

JMFJ 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 11:00 PM
mikeybuddha91

Quote:
He's being realistic. We won't get top of the line prospects for these guys. We'll take decent forwards/dmen of the non-center ilk I would guess.

mikeybuddha91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 12:01 AM
ukyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMFJ 3 View Post
Boyle has shown he can score at the NHL level, I'm not sure LA is ready to cut all ties yet.
He's also shown that he can score in Boston (College). He needs to go to a team that will be content to let him be Eric Daze 2.0 instead of Keith Primeau Lite.

ukyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 06:36 AM
Beesfan

Sturm for a 2nd in this coming draft?

Beesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 01:16 PM
LordLucic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukyo View Post
He's also shown that he can score in Boston (College). He needs to go to a team that will be content to let him be Eric Daze 2.0 instead of Keith Primeau Lite.
As a Boston College Hockey season ticket holder, I will tell you this right now Boyle was inconsistent at best and won't be better than a 3rd liner in the NHL IF that.

LordLucic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 03:08 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
I didn't mean lesser than Boyle (who I don't really consider a prospect at this point... I think of him as a part time NHler who will bounce up and down to the A). I meant lesser as in not one of your blue chips.

Old
06-05-2009, 03:16 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Ever hear of Chris Collins? He is the same age as Boyle and played with him pretty much the same years at BC. Collins scored 63 goals in his 4 years at BC and Boyle scored 65.

Collins was once Bruins property. Would you deal a veteran 25-30 goal scorer right now for Chris Collins?

Of course Boyle is larger than Collins and has a better shot at an NHL career, but really.... we don't want him. He's 25 years old and can't beat out guys on a bad LA team. Who on Boston's roster can he beat out? And his pts per game in the AHL isn't as good as a 3 year younger Vlad Sobotka and a 4 year younger Brad Marchand. Trading for Boyle gives Providence a 3rd line center.

Are you willing to give up anything of value in exchange for a 3rd line center for Manchester?

Old
06-05-2009, 03:24 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Ever hear of Chris Collins? He is the same age as Boyle and played with him pretty much the same years at BC. Collins scored 63 goals in his 4 years at BC and Boyle scored 65.

Collins was once Bruins property. Would you deal a veteran 25-30 goal scorer right now for Chris Collins?

Of course Boyle is larger than Collins and has a better shot at an NHL career, but really.... we don't want him. He's 25 years old and can't beat out guys on a bad LA team. Who on Boston's roster can he beat out? And his pts per game in the AHL isn't as good as a 3 year younger Vlad Sobotka and a 4 year younger Brad Marchand. Trading for Boyle gives Providence a 3rd line center.

Are you willing to give up anything of value in exchange for a 3rd line center for Manchester?

To be fair the presumed idea behind anyone trading for Boyle is that they believe (as many in LA FERVENTLY do) that Boyle has been mishandled and miscast in LA's system. Anyone who would take on Boyle assumes that in their (ideally more offense first system) Boyle will thrive and turn a corner. Risk/reward, boom/bust. GM's do take chances now and again (not saying Boston would).

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 03:35 PM
8BostonRocker24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
To be fair the presumed idea behind anyone trading for Boyle is that they believe (as many in LA FERVENTLY do) that Boyle has been mishandled and miscast in LA's system. Anyone who would take on Boyle assumes that in their (ideally more offense first system) Boyle will thrive and turn a corner. Risk/reward, boom/bust. GM's do take chances now and again (not saying Boston would).
Yes, but not at the expense of a top-6 winger and a top-4 defenseman.

Boston - St. Louis made a deal a few years back... Hannu Toivonen for Carl Soderberg. Two high end talents that have not panned out. The two teams traded failed prospects (Toivonen had proven more though) and thus far, neither has improved. Boyle is in the same class, the only advantage he has, is he plays in North America. But he's a bust at this point. It's been 6 years since he was a 1st round pick.

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 03:39 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BostonRocker24 View Post
Yes, but not at the expense of a top-6 winger and a top-4 defenseman.
Duh.

Old
06-05-2009, 04:11 PM
ukyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordLucic View Post
As a Boston College Hockey season ticket holder, I will tell you this right now Boyle was inconsistent at best and won't be better than a 3rd liner in the NHL IF that.
I'm not sure if I should be happy to have gotten a more authoritative opinion of him, or if I should be depressed that we could have had Corey "Owns Your Face" Perry instead.

Why don't you kick my dog or ask me how Jeff Tambellini is doing while you're at it?

Old
06-05-2009, 04:15 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
I'm not sure if I should be happy to have gotten a more authoritative opinion of him, or if I should be depressed that we could have had Corey "Owns Your Face" Perry instead.

Why don't you kick my dog or ask me how Jeff Tambellini is doing while you're at it?
Don't you ever wish Scary Perry on the Kings!

Old
06-05-2009, 04:40 PM
ukyo

Quote:

Fair enough, but I was merely pointing out that Boyle is likely being mishandled by the Kings. He has shown that he can score in limited time in the NHL and does have a decent two-way game; what the Kings feel he's lacking is some personality trait that seems absent from him. Until they let him play within what he has already shown he can do, we will never get a true idea of what he could become.

Hence the Eric Daze comparison: did Chicago bench him because he was softer than guys half his size? No, they made great use of that great shot and great hands and let him become a soft-for-his-size 40-goal-scorer. It's fairly obvious that the Kings will not settle for that, so I'd like to see another team give him a shot.