HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Stone Named WHL Player of the Week

Closed Thread

Old
10-05-2004, 11:12 AM
Big Deaner

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Big Deaner
Ryan Stone Named WHL Player of the Week

As per: www.wheatkings.com

3gp: 3g, 4a 7p +2

Old
10-05-2004, 11:14 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

He doesn't get the respect he deserves around here, especially by most Penguins fans.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
10-05-2004, 01:11 PM
No Quarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful

He doesn't get the respect he deserves around here, especially by most Penguins fans.

He's one of the prospects I can't wait to see.
After some people have called him a Rick Tocchet clone, I've been real anxious to see make the big club.

Old
10-05-2004, 02:38 PM
Luigi Lemieux

i wonder if his nickname is going to end up being Stoner

Old
10-05-2004, 04:52 PM
Bully73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Metamorphosis
i wonder if his nickname is going to end up being Stoner
It already is.

Stoner has played awesome so far this year and saved his best game for the Rebels, which should help his outside chances of making the WJC team. Two goals (one of them shorthanded, stripping Phaneuf of the puck) and a bodycheck which broke the glass (granted it was next to the Zamboni entrance and therefore weaker glass, but still looked awesome).

Old
10-05-2004, 05:09 PM
craig1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful

Cut ties with him now!!!!!!!.....................

........................I'm just stating what we will hear from some when Stone has an off week. He truly gets no respect, nor attention as a top prospect. I do realize that on a lot of other teams he would be much more heralded (kinda buried in the Pens immense depth), but the guy really has looked good since being drafted with the top pick in round 2 his year.

Old
10-05-2004, 05:36 PM
Parrish

Send a message via MSN to Parrish
I've been high on Stone for a long time.As all you regulars know.He dosnt get the respact he deserves.He has potential to be an all-star and I think the worst case scenerio would be he'd be the next Aaron Asham (he reminds me of asham alot).Thats pretty good because Asham is a great player and very important on the Isles but I bet Stone is far better.Anyways nice to see him get a lil reconision.

STONE RULZ!!!

Old
10-05-2004, 07:57 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig1
Cut ties with him now!!!!!!!.....................

........................I'm just stating what we will hear from some when Stone has an off week. He truly gets no respect, nor attention as a top prospect. I do realize that on a lot of other teams he would be much more heralded (kinda buried in the Pens immense depth), but the guy really has looked good since being drafted with the top pick in round 2 his year.
No doubt. Stoner is one of my favorite prospects but he still has trouble cracking my top 15 prospect list on the Pens.

I think he could end up being what Colby Armstrong is expected to be. That said, I'm also still very high on Armstrong.

Just picturing a line with Stone and Armstrong on it in the future, maybe with a guy like Ryan Malone or Daniel Carcillo...scary to think about.

Old
10-06-2004, 12:09 AM
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrish11d
I've been high on Stone for a long time.As all you regulars know.
You've only been here 6 months.

Old
10-06-2004, 02:38 AM
stardog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobv2
HAHAHAHA
That struck me as funny for some reason.
As far as Stone goes, I dont think it isnt that he doesnt get respect, it is that with our depth, he is truly buried, and it isnt like he gets disrespected around hee. Everyone on these boards respects and acknowledges what the guy brings to the table and he gets the respect that he according with his ranking.
I think it is WAY to premature to say that "worst case scenario" is Aaron Asham. He (as with any prospect) is not a guarantee to make the NHL so lets be realistic about worst case scenario's here.
Id rate him ahead of Armstrong however, who IMO has been somewhat of a dissapointment.

Old
10-06-2004, 05:05 AM
Zoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrish11d
I've been high on Stone for a long time.
STONE RULZ!!!
Pass the pipe dude !!

Old
10-06-2004, 10:00 PM
Parrish

Send a message via MSN to Parrish
Quote:
true but many of you know me from metro.I was one of the very few hoping this guy was picked by pit in the first place.Anyways I c your point on the "worst case scenerio" thing, bur it is my opinion he will thrive anyways.

Old
10-06-2004, 11:35 PM
No Quarter

I heard the "young Tocchet" comparison from Mark Madden, is there any truth to that because Tocchet is my all time favorite Pen and that would be great to have a guy like that on the squad again?
Just Picture in a couple of years Malkin as the high scoring playmaking center, Malone as a 35 to 40 goal scoring winger, and Stone as a plant your ass in front of the net causing havoc kinda winger like Rick Tocchet.
Can anyone see that happening in the future?

Old
10-07-2004, 07:03 AM
I.am.ca

Well i hope to see that happening in the near future, if the CBA doesn't mess up things and we still have our team.

Old
10-07-2004, 11:47 AM

I wish that there was a way that I could get to see him play. I love everything that I hear about this kid. Just some questions for those who have seen him play. First are his hands that good as far as putting shots top corner and deflecting pucks? Another is about his skating. I'm not looking for speed or agility from Stone but how about balance and power?

Old
10-07-2004, 12:18 PM
Big Deaner

Send a message via Yahoo to Big Deaner
Stone has decent hands, he's not going to stickhandle around an entire team (like say a Getzlaf) but he can hold his own in crowded areas and his hands are good around the net where he uses his size to his advantage. His skating is good, not great, but he does posess good power and balance in his stride. Stone also has a good shot nothing overly spectacular but he could pick a corner once in a while. Overall I'd rate Stones skills as good, and on skills alone there would not be a whole lot to get excited about but Stone is a tireless worker and a tenacious forechecker (which I believe is one of the best parts of his game). He's also a great fighter but I don't believe he will be fighting too much this year as last year a fight cost him a broken orbital bone and half the season. I think Stone is a great prospect and as a Flames fan I would love to have him in our system as he would fit the Sutter mould perfectly. The only thing I do get worried about when it comes to Stone is injuries but if Stone can play an injury free season this year and make the World Junior team I think you guys will be pleasantly surprised about what this kid can do.

Old
10-07-2004, 12:29 PM
kutdacheez

Quote:
I thought being high on stone was pretty funny all by itself!

Did anyone pickup on his zero PIM's?[/

Old
10-07-2004, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Deaner
Stone has decent hands, he's not going to stickhandle around an entire team (like say a Getzlaf) but he can hold his own in crowded areas and his hands are good around the net where he uses his size to his advantage. His skating is good, not great, but he does posess good power and balance in his stride. Stone also has a good shot nothing overly spectacular but he could pick a corner once in a while. Overall I'd rate Stones skills as good, and on skills alone there would not be a whole lot to get excited about but Stone is a tireless worker and a tenacious forechecker (which I believe is one of the best parts of his game). He's also a great fighter but I don't believe he will be fighting too much this year as last year a fight cost him a broken orbital bone and half the season. I think Stone is a great prospect and as a Flames fan I would love to have him in our system as he would fit the Sutter mould perfectly. The only thing I do get worried about when it comes to Stone is injuries but if Stone can play an injury free season this year and make the World Junior team I think you guys will be pleasantly surprised about what this kid can do.
Great to hear and thanks. He kind of sounds like a Scotty Hartnell type. That fits this organizations new path to a tee.

Closed Thread