HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Graf Skate Help

Old
06-05-2009, 05:10 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Graf Skate Help

So I recently purchased these skates for an insanely good deal. They were only used once, maybe twice. But I purchased them at the Sharks equipment sale. So some player used tried them and then didn't use them again. My question is which ones are they? From the imprinting on the side it appears that they are either G5s or ultra G35s. I am basically curious because I have regular width foot and the local "pro" said that the G5 was for a wide foot, but I have found that the G5 comes in N/R/W. Although when trying these on I didn't notice any room width wise. Any help would be appreciated. Too me it looks like the Ultra G35 based on the back of the boot (by the Achilles).

Since they are custom built, could it be that they are not either but loosely based on one of them? They felt really good and were too good of a deal to pass up.

Here is a pic of a G5 and a Ultra G35

G5

Ultra G35

TheGooooch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 05:12 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

The local "pro" told me that they were definitely a G5. But after looking at these pics it is clear to me that they look like they are the Ultras because there is a big difference between the back of each boot

Old
06-05-2009, 05:40 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGooooch View Post
The local "pro" told me that they were definitely a G5. But after looking at these pics it is clear to me that they look like they are the Ultras because there is a big difference between the back of each boot
Yea the back of the boot looks like the G35's. However it could be a custom job. I bought TPS Summit leg pads from a friend a little while back that had the Xceed graphics on it because he liked the graphics better.

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 05:48 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGooooch
Since they are custom built, could it be that they are not either but loosely based on one of them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murderin Murphy View Post
Yea the back of the boot looks like the G35's. However it could be a custom job. I bought TPS Summit leg pads from a friend a little while back that had the Xceed graphics on it because he liked the graphics better.
Yeah, I put that option in there too. Figuring that they were loosely based on the G35 seems to be the most likely option.

Old
06-05-2009, 06:26 PM
Crosbyfan

IIRC for some grafs if you take out the insole you will see an N, R, or W for the width

Crosbyfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 06:30 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
IIRC for some grafs if you take out the insole you will see an N, R, or W for the width
They say 8.75 custom. So the boot is obviously a custom one then. Really really nice skates though

Old
06-05-2009, 08:30 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Yeah, what the boot is really doesn't matter. They'll be custom to the player, so they'll probably disobey all the normal rules of fit.

Pro stock skates are a huge risk because of that.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2009, 01:58 AM
Dr Acula

Whose skates are those? I think only Clowe, Pavelski and Goc wear Grafs. Well, Nabby does too, but those obviously aren't his.

Dr Acula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2009, 03:21 AM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarmy View Post
Whose skates are those? I think only Clowe, Pavelski and Goc wear Grafs. Well, Nabby does too, but those obviously aren't his.
They weren't assigned to anyone which was weird. Clowe had a bunch of Bauer XXXX's there. They were all worn once or twice and cost like $300. These ones said "player: n/a," so I am assuming that they were fitted and given for a tryout or something. But being that they didn't have a name tied to them took some money off the price. Based on sizing I would assume that they might be Goc's but I don't know why they wouldn't have a name tied to them. I thought that Pavs uses Bauer too (I was using an inherited pair of XXX's that had a Pavelski runner).

Old
06-06-2009, 04:27 AM
Dr Acula

I remember seeing Pavs, Clowe and Goc in Grafs at some point. They must have switched to Bauers then.

Maybe your skates belonged to the coaching staff. The older guys seems to prefer Grafs.

Dr Acula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2009, 11:10 AM
rinkrat22

I don't what you paid, but if they are truley graf customs (which they look like they are in the pics) those skates go for around a $1000.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2009, 01:40 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarmy View Post
I remember seeing Pavs, Clowe and Goc in Grafs at some point. They must have switched to Bauers then.

Maybe your skates belonged to the coaching staff. The older guys seems to prefer Grafs.
That is what I was thinking they could have been for. I am not sure about the others but know I saw some Clowe XXXX's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckleboy View Post
I don't what you paid, but if they are truley graf customs (which they look like they are in the pics) those skates go for around a $1000.
Here are 2 pics from the inside of one of the boots.