HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

This Leblanc Obsession

Old
06-06-2009, 01:02 AM
not quite yoda

vCash: 500
This Leblanc Obsession

i have looked at 4 mock drafts on hfboards. all 4 have the habs picking leblanc. i don't understand it, unless the point is to pick a french player because he's french and the draft is in montreal. heaven forbid we repeat the 1993 fpick of david wilkie and get booed by the hometown crowd again.

the last time i recall such a consensus on the habs pick on hfboards was in 2004. we were also drafting in the 17-18 range. we picked a hard working two way centerman, not unlike leblanc. his name was kyle chipchua. how well has that panned out for us thus far?

i for one hope we don't pick leblanc.

not quite yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2009, 01:05 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Let me start this by saying that I don't know a single thing about Leblanc, so I won't pretend I do.

But because people think we should take him, much like people thought we should take Chipchura, and because you don't like how Chippy's progressed, you hope we don't draft Leblanc? That's very dumb reasoning.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2009, 01:06 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by not quite yoda View Post
i have looked at 4 mock drafts on hfboards. all 4 have the habs picking leblanc. i don't understand it, unless the point is to pick a french player because he's french and the draft is in montreal. heaven forbid we repeat the 1993 fpick of david wilkie and get booed by the hometown crowd again.

the last time i recall such a consensus on the habs pick on hfboards was in 2004. we were also drafting in the 17-18 range. we picked a hard working two way centerman, not unlike leblanc. his name was kyle chipchua. how well has that panned out for us thus far?

I don't know much about him either, but I am willing to bet that's the reason for many.

Others probably see something in him that they like.

Stats wise he was almost a ppg player int he USHL and he's 6'0 already could still grow an inch, or two.

I tried to spell bet 3 ****in' times. The first time, I put "put" for some reason. The second time i put beat and now I finally got it right... i hope.

Last edited by Analyzer: 06-06-2009 at 01:23 AM.
Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2009, 01:13 AM
not quite yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Let me start this by saying that I don't know a single thing about Leblanc, so I won't pretend I do.

But because people think we should take him, much like people thought we should take Chipchura, and because you don't like how Chippy's progressed, you hope we don't draft Leblanc? That's very dumb reasoning.
i m not saying chipchura is the reason i don t want leblanc. i am saying that there are clear parrallels between the days leading up these two draft years (2004 and 2009). yes, leblanc' s skating is far better than chipchura's. yes leblanc may project to be more of an offensive threat.

great. leblanc is on the average to small side, we have plenty of those already. he may be going to harvard for the next four years i read, so i guess we won't be benefiting from his play for a while (*cough fisher cough*). oh and he happens to be the 1st french guy in all the lists and he s going to the french team.

we've seen that timmins doesn't get influenced by the media in his picks so i guess i shouldn't worry.

Old
06-06-2009, 01:47 AM
HabuseMoi

Quote:
i m not saying chipchura is the reason i don t want leblanc. i am saying that there are clear parrallels between the days leading up these two draft years (2004 and 2009). yes, leblanc' s skating is far better than chipchura's. yes leblanc may project to be more of an offensive threat.

great. leblanc is on the average to small side, we have plenty of those already. he may be going to harvard for the next four years i read, so i guess we won't be benefiting from his play for a while (*cough fisher cough*). oh and he happens to be the 1st french guy in all the lists and he s going to the french team.

we've seen that timmins doesn't get influenced by the media in his picks so i guess i shouldn't worry.
SO basically we cannot pick a french guy in the first round because we are the only french team?

Did you stop to consider he might be the best pick available to Timmins even if he speaks french?

HabuseMoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2009, 01:59 AM
not quite yoda

i don t think that we can t pick him because he is french.

i think the reason he is so commonly associated to us is because he s french.

4 for 4 in mock drafts. you telling me the same players were left over after 17 in all 4 mocks?

Old
06-06-2009, 02:02 AM
Kikizaz

I'd prefer we trade up and go for Kulikov.

Kikizaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2009, 02:08 AM
not quite yoda

i also preffer kulikov of what i have seen. then again, we are loaded on d.

Old
06-06-2009, 02:42 AM
DaHabMan

i suggest you go read up on him, many people have talked about him in the draft thread and posted videos about him. From what ive read, hes not at all like chipchura. Hes an offensive center who plays a gritty game and is not scared of the physical play. He doesnt initiate contact but hes not afraid of it either. Hes speedy and plays on both sides of the ice. But he is an offensive center, chipchura was purely defensive.

DaHabMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2009, 03:04 AM
Naoned
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
i don t think that we can t pick him because he is french.

i think the reason he is so commonly associated to us is because he s french.

4 for 4 in mock drafts. you telling me the same players were left over after 17 in all 4 mocks?
Agreed. Most writers outside Montréal assume that, because we're the Habs, we're going to pick a French canadian. Every year, if a French canadian is projected to go around the spot we're picking, they take a chance on us.
Anyway, this year, I really like Leblanc and would be pleased if we picked him.

Naoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2009, 06:38 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHabMan View Post
i suggest you go read up on him, many people have talked about him in the draft thread and posted videos about him. From what ive read, hes not at all like chipchura. Hes an offensive center who plays a gritty game and is not scared of the physical play. He doesnt initiate contact but hes not afraid of it either. Hes speedy and plays on both sides of the ice. But he is an offensive center, chipchura was purely defensive.
Yeah, Leblanc DO have potential. He's not the only one though so depending on what's going to happen on draft day, he might either be gone, or there might be better options...

But at 18th, Leblanc would be a good pick up nomather what. The guy could have been from Vancouver and he will still be a good pick up for the team that will draft him.

Forget Chipchura, it's a completely different story. Also, the 2004 draft wasn't as deep...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2009, 06:49 AM
euphrates

we may not even pick in the first round if a trade may happen

euphrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2009, 07:50 AM
ReVeuF

All i know is Leblanc was drafted 1st overall in the Quebec junior league, he might be good

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2009, 08:18 AM
Hermamoud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReVeuF View Post
All i know is Leblanc was drafted 1st overall in the Quebec junior league, he might be good
1st overall in the LHJMQ doesn't mean much, look at the players who were selected 1st overall from 2000 to 2006:

Maxime Daigneault, Steve Bernier, Alex Bourret, Sidney Crosby, James Sheppard, Alex Grant, Yann Sauvé.

Apart from Crosby, these players aren't really impact players.

Hermamoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2009, 08:25 AM
VanNistelrooy

Well, James Sheppard is playing in the big league at 19, which is kind of good.

VanNistelrooy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2009, 08:29 AM
Hermamoud

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanNistelrooy View Post
Well, James Sheppard is playing in the big league at 19, which is kind of good.
I admit adding Alex Grant and Yann Sauvé is a bit unfair because they still play in Juniors, but the LHJMQ's website doesn't list the drafts prior to 2000.

Hermamoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2009, 08:45 AM
Dwight
The French Tickler

The Habs are always rumored to select French players.

Esposito, Perron, Brule, Giroux, etc.

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2009, 08:50 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Apparently he posted very mediocre results at the combine in the VO2, peak heart rate, Wingate, and recovery metrics - for whatever that's worth. Not sure how much of that is related to conditioning vs max physical ability.

As for the "obsession," yeah, RH French-Canadian centre... bound to happen. Almost no way does the same player get picked 4 times in a row at #17, though, unless someone is type-casting/stereotyping the expected drafting criteria that will be used.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2009, 09:12 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
i don't understand it, unless the point is to pick a french player because he's french and the draft is in montreal. heaven forbid we repeat the 1993 fpick of david wilkie and get booed by the hometown crowd again.

First, you just choose to see the mock drafts you want 'cause in most OTHER mock drafts, there are a whole lot of people going for Holland as well. Second, well CLEARLY it solely has to do with the fact that he's french 'cause we all know by now that a french player cannot be a BPA.....

How the heck does a consensus means anything as far as how a player will pan out? If we would have a consensus for Tavares, would he pan out the same way Chipchura did?

By the way, forget the mock drafts and start looking at most lists from experts who are saying that Leblanc will be going earlier than our pick. It should tell you a little but the real value of this prospect. But clearly, he's not good enough 'cause either he's too french or he's a "consensus". Here's one for you. Wish we pick Nikita Dvurechensky. Pretty sure there's no consensus there which means he will end up a great pick...

I know one thing......if the draft would have been held in Montreal in 2006 and we would have been pressured to pick Claude Giroux, it would have panned out pretty nicely. And if the draft would have been held in 2007, and we would have been pressured to pick Perron, it would have panned out pretty nicely as well. Nobody ever would like people to pick a french player just for the sake of the language but because at the same time he's a damn great young prospect. Anybody who keeps claiming this false assumption that people want french players no matter how great they are, are just either doing that on purpose or are plain stupid.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2009, 09:12 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Hundred percent due to him being french. He's not the BPA for us and he certainly doesn't bring a new dimension to the team or farm team. We can get much better centers with our pick.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2009, 09:22 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Hundred percent due to him being french. He's not the BPA for us and he certainly doesn't bring a new dimension to the team or farm team. We can get much better centers with our pick.
I really don't understand why people keep talking about the need for centerman. Mr. Timmins who most people all worship and adore said in 2007 that we didn't need centermen 'cause we had those great centermen coming in Chipchura, Lapierre, Aubin, Maxwell and White. As far as I'm concerned, 4 out of those 5 guys are still in play for a position at center which Timmins feels it has been answered. And clearly he believes it 'cause in 2008, he still didn't answer for that even though the great Johnson plays at center.

But please answer that one for me. Based on exactly what you said....tell me how Kristo was the BPA when I and you believe that despite what Timmins is saying, we have a glaring need for centermen with size and skills, and Grachev was still available? How was Quailer the BPA when Stefanovitch was still available and he can play center? How was Missiaen the BPA when James Wright was available (not saying Wright will end up the offensive centerman I thought he would but still....he had some nice potential at the time).

So I can't wait to see how really we are in need of centermen in our prospect pool in this upcoming draft. Though I believe he will have 1 or 2 of those guys, 'cause let's hope he doesn't believe himself anymore.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2009, 09:35 AM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
no surprised here i never saw you praised a french canadian players

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2009, 09:46 AM
Kafka

Quote:

If LeBlanc can skate, I don't think we can compare both. I remember the Chipchura bandwagon. The consensus was that if he was a project and could turn out as a great second-third line center if he could improve his skating. Injuries slowed his developpement, and in the end, if he can't improve his skating, will turn out as a good AHL player. I still believe the risk was good.

The important thing is to pick the best player available, and use a combination of risky picks and safe picks.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2009, 09:54 AM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I really don't understand why people keep talking about the need for centerman. Mr. Timmins who most people all worship and adore said in 2007 that we didn't need centermen 'cause we had those great centermen coming in Chipchura, Lapierre, Aubin, Maxwell and White. As far as I'm concerned, 4 out of those 5 guys are still in play for a position at center which Timmins feels it has been answered. And clearly he believes it 'cause in 2008, he still didn't answer for that even though the great Johnson plays at center.

But please answer that one for me. Based on exactly what you said....tell me how Kristo was the BPA when I and you believe that despite what Timmins is saying, we have a glaring need for centermen with size and skills, and Grachev was still available? How was Quailer the BPA when Stefanovitch was still available and he can play center? How was Missiaen the BPA when James Wright was available (not saying Wright will end up the offensive centerman I thought he would but still....he had some nice potential at the time).

So I can't wait to see how really we are in need of centermen in our prospect pool in this upcoming draft. Though I believe he will have 1 or 2 of those guys, 'cause let's hope he doesn't believe himself anymore.
How many of those guys are legitimate number 1 centers please? Maxwell is the only one, and thats a long shot, we have no legitimate future first line center, thats what we need. Our defense is stacked up, our goaltending with price and Halak one of which has to develop into a starting goaltender with talent. Its on the forward ranks that should be first and foremost, along with maybe tossing in a goaltender or a another defenseman

subbanged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2009, 10:00 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
By the way, forget the mock drafts and start looking at most lists from experts who are saying that Leblanc will be going earlier than our pick. It should tell you a little but the real value of this prospect. But clearly, he's not good enough 'cause either he's too french or he's a "consensus". Here's one for you. Wish we pick Nikita Dvurechensky. Pretty sure there's no consensus there which means he will end up a great pick...
What do you mean "forget about the mock drafts"? The OP is directly and specifically about the mock drafts on HF. And if you're right, and most "experts" are picking him to go higher than our pick, I find it equally fishy that he was still available for the Habs in all 4 drafts AND never passed up on by the Habs. Or in other words, a supposed BPA would be given up by higher teams in all 4 drafts and that the Habs subsequently couldn't avoid chosing the best available French player.

The OP seemed to be questioning the selection criteria much more than commenting on the "real-life" Habs-french players issue. In fact, I thought the OP was trying to focus on the fact that we had a consensus on player in this range before (known mostly for his hard work rather than perhaps riskier higher ceiling talent) and that pick has ended up taking a long time developing into what may turn out to be a bottom 6 player, tops.

But the insecure posters always seem to read into things like this, see what they want to (or perhaps, don't want to) and react accordingly and predictably. And then everyone has to tip-toe around this tired language issue again and again. Tiresome.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote