HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kessel to Colorado for 3rd overall in 2009

Old
06-05-2009, 10:15 PM
PeterTheGreat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Parker View Post
You can always tell that a trade is close in value when both teams fans are back and forth on it and both sides have people for and against.

I think either way Colorado needs to have a much better season this year as far as attendance and need to be a playoff team this upcoming season.

Kessel is an upgrade for the next two years over Duchene. I don't think anyone would argue that point. I also think he is more 'entertaining' than Duchene and only time will prove me wrong. It seems to me that Kessel is being shopped by Boston to move into the top three picks and that is quite the chip to have at the table.

BTW...Phil had 10 more goals than anyone on Colorado this year. Simply put, do most Colorado fans firmly believe that he would be the top scorer next year? Now do you believe that Duchene would lead Colorado in scoring next year? Can you afford to have another write off year?

The Avs can't afford to be short sighted. There is little doubt that Kessel would be our leading goal scorer (unless Hejduk really had a good year), but we won't be contending for at least next year when all the bad contracts come off the books.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 10:25 PM
thedoctor
                    

Quote:
You can always tell that a trade is close in value when both teams fans are back and forth on it and both sides have people for and against.

I think either way Colorado needs to have a much better season this year as far as attendance and need to be a playoff team this upcoming season.

Kessel is an upgrade for the next two years over Duchene. I don't think anyone would argue that point. I also think he is more 'entertaining' than Duchene and only time will prove me wrong. It seems to me that Kessel is being shopped by Boston to move into the top three picks and that is quite the chip to have at the table.

BTW...Phil had 10 more goals than anyone on Colorado this year. Simply put, do most Colorado fans firmly believe that he would be the top scorer next year? Now do you believe that Duchene would lead Colorado in scoring next year? Can you afford to have another write off year?
and you can always tell when a trade is in favor of one team when one fanbase is universally for a trade, and the other is split. it's close in value for sure, and it makes Colorado better now for sure too, but it hurts us long term, it's favorable cap-wise to boston now, we don't have the cap space to take Kessel on now, and it's not exactly filling a need for Colorado.

as for your questions: I am not convinced he would be the top scorer facing top defenders with no support behind him every night, I don't even think Duchene should make the team next year, and I'm not sure what you're implying, but we can afford some down years yet.

thedoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 10:32 PM
Jori

Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
Phil Kessel isn't going to take the Avs back to the playoffs next year. If the idea is to use the third overall pick to get back into the playoffs, I think they would be looking at trading for a goaltender.

As a hockey trade, the value isn't far off. However, Colorado's cap sitution has to be taken into consideration. There is no guarantee Duchene is in the NHL this season. If they acquire Kessel, they have to pay him next year and that is going to be difficult. Neither team can afford to take back salary which makes a trade between the two clubs less likely.

Colorado is in rebuild mode. The Avs may not have used the "R" word in their press conference yesterday, but the phase "no short-cuts" was used on more then one occasion. I think Colorado keeps this pick and if it's Duchene, build the team around him and Stastny for the future.

Old
06-06-2009, 03:58 AM
NWAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 504Heater View Post

Hilarious. Like Colorado would trade away Matt Duchene for Phil Kessel. Duchene being a perfect replacement for Sakic and a lifelong Avs fan vs Kessel who's a good hockey player, but definitely doesn't have the tools that Duchene has shown.

Hmmm...that's a tough one.

One of the dumbest rumours I've heard in a while.
Agreed.

NWAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2009, 04:05 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

This doesn't make sense at all. Trade a sure fire top 6 scoring winger for a potential top 6 scoring center??

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2009, 04:16 AM
shadow1

Quote:

No, Paul Stastny.

I don't see how adding Kessel would prevent that. Smyth and Hejduk both only had one less point than Kessel while playing with two-bit centers for half the year while Kessel was playing with Savard.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2009, 05:03 AM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Quote:

Do you believe Kessel moves the Avs from 15th to 8th?

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2009, 08:47 AM
mydnyte

I love Kessel, I wouldnt trade the #3 pick in THIS YEAR's draft for him though!!

mydnyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2009, 10:46 AM
AvalancheRy

I remember last year when rumors were floating around of a Kessel for Svatos plus deal. My how things have changed! That alone makes me a little anxious to trade away, what could very will be, the most important pick in the Avs' history. I think a blue chip center prospect like Duchene is far more valuable right now than a proven winger. Duchene is not a lock, but he is as close as it gets!

To assume Kessel will be some offensive juggernaut for years to come on a team that is mired in uncertainty (and quite frankly sucks) is a bit of a reach.

AvalancheRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2009, 10:56 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaWrista View Post
This doesn't make sense at all. Trade a sure fire top 6 scoring winger for a potential top 6 scoring center??
It does make sense if the other option for the Bruins is getting lesser draft picks as RFA compensation. I doubt that happens, but if the Bruins are looking at trading Kessel due to cap situation, they could do a lot worse then getting the 3rd overall pick in what looks to be a great draft.

I doubt either team would make this trade though. If the Bruins are to move Kessel they'll likely want an impact defenseman coming back, and unless they had a side deal to move the 3rd overall for said defenseman, it doen't make much sense to make that move. And as Avs fans have said, although Kessel is a great player, he likely doesn't improve them to post-season status now and if they feel that Duchesne has the potential to be the better player down the line, it probably makes more sense for them to keep the pick and develop him so that he's ready for a big role when the rest of the team starts to take shape.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote