HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Savard sidelined by Molson family

Old
06-03-2009, 04:58 PM
goalchenyuk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post
just speculation here from ckac

gillett will stay as the owner, he would sell 20% to the molson and molson would buy the 19% shared own by molson coors

so gillett would have around 60% shared of the habs and the molson around 40%
doesn't Gillet need 400 M$ for july ? i don't see how selling 20 % of the team would help him .

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 05:07 PM
Duff88

I'm not joking here:

Jacques Demers just said he would have been named head coach with Benoit Brunet and Eric Desjardins as assistants if Serge Savard had bought the team. Thank god for the Molson family.

Duff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 05:12 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff88 View Post

I'm not joking here:

Jacques Demers just said he would have been named head coach with Benoit Brunet and Eric Desjardins as assistants if Serge Savard had bought the team. Thank god for the Molson family.
with all due respect to Jacques, yes thank god

I think I'd rather have Jean Perron back

Mathletic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 05:53 PM
Maxhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff88 View Post

I'm not joking here:

Wow, What was Demers going to call his coaching staff? the super friends? I'd love to see Brunet as an assistant coach, he doesen't even make sense analyzing actual games i'm sure that would go well. That being said I woulden't mind seeing Desjarding being hired by Martin as his defenseman coach he's been working for the flyers a couple years as a development coach so it's not like he doesen't have some coaching experience.

Maxhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 06:53 PM
vokiel
Nothing blind

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
I am interested to know your logic behind Savard being a better president then Boivin?
Less flashy declarations or promises.

Better business ethic IMHO.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 07:04 PM
HCH

I have a new found respect for Serge Savard.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 07:14 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
Less flashy declarations or promises.

Better business ethic IMHO.

Boivin might be the best President in the league. His job, as in what he's paid to do not what you think he should do, is to grow the Habs and make money. Name me one guy in the league that turned his team from a money loser worth 200M to one with 45M profit worth more than 500M(at least that's what some people seem to be willing to pay).

The Habs were not popular when he was hired, hating on them was a provincial sport. The guy was given one opportunity to dominate the province with Theodore and he ran with it. His dept. might be the only one that did its job this year, creating an insane amount of enthousiasm throughout the city for the club.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 07:28 PM
vokiel
Nothing blind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kareem View Post

Boivin might be the best President in the league. His job, as in what he's paid to do not what you think he should do, is to grow the Habs and make money. Name me one guy in the league that turned his team from a money loser worth 200M to one with 45M profit worth more than 500M(at least that's what some people seem to be willing to pay).

The Habs were not popular when he was hired, hating on them was a provincial sport. The guy was given one opportunity to dominate the province with Theodore and he ran with it. His dept. might be the only one that did its job this year, creating an insane amount of enthousiasm throughout the city for the club.
You must be joking. His handling of all the little media crisis this year contributed greatly to what sank the team. His declarations and promises were laugh at by pretty much everyone and his public relations man (Beauchamp) messed up on countless occasions just to be criticized by HOF Patrick Roy and Guy Lafleur just to name 2 of them.

There's just no way I'll ever have as much respect for this person as Serge Savard. Unfortunately his role isn't just to make sure the team makes money. If you like his marketing skills then fine, put him in charge of it, I personally couldn't care less.

Old
06-03-2009, 10:16 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
You must be joking. His handling of all the little media crisis this year contributed greatly to what sank the team. His declarations and promises were laugh at by pretty much everyone and his public relations man (Beauchamp) messed up on countless occasions just to be criticized by HOF Patrick Roy and Guy Lafleur just to name 2 of them.

There's just no way I'll ever have as much respect for this person as Serge Savard. Unfortunately his role isn't just to make sure the team makes money. If you like his marketing skills then fine, put him in charge of it, I personally couldn't care less.
Boivin never promised anything.

Please find me one quote where Boivin says "Je promet..." or "c'est une promesse"...

I don't even see how he contributed to how the team sank. He's not in charge of the hockey department and I don't remember Roy critic the Habs that much and when it comes to Lafleur, well, his opinion isn't worth much nowadaysé

Like Kareem said, Boivin is not in command of hockey decisions, his job is to make the club roll financially, and not many presidents in this league have done as good a job as he did over the last 10 years.

What the hell is this rampant mentality where people think they know when pros do a good job or not, yet don't actually know 10% of what the job really is?

Why do people always need someone to bash? Does it make you feel better about yourself? I'm asking this because your negativity is based on speculation and flat out ignorance.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 07:00 AM
Pere Noel

Quote:
Well you have to add also that he didn't close the books on buying the club. His analogy is there no was kick off yet and you never know, the players might actually fumble.
I am not sure where you were going with this? But I think Savard meant that the Molson family could decide the price tag was too high and therefore not go further (that would be the missed kick off).

Quote:
His decision of not verifying books is a bit more worrisome, it's as if he doesn't Gillett with 9 foot clown pole. Prevention is better law suits as someone might say or the books agreement was completely one sided.
To verify the books would cost up to 500k. That's only why he hasn't done it yet. He would have done it had he gone with a formal proposal. Under the current scenario, he just saved himself and his immediate partners 500k.

Pere Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 10:13 AM
Joe Cole

Just a question... do you think Savard was promised something for his loyalty, or that he will receive something for his loyalty?

A plum position?

Savard is starting to scare me.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 02:13 PM
vokiel
Nothing blind

The Molson want to be Majority owners.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/opinions/c...joritaires.php

The saga continues with the following key points:

#1 Luc Beauregard, who represents the Molson family, declared that the brothers want to be majority owners. The Molson brothers are not in this to be silent partners.

#2 Both the author and Mr. Demers doubt that the Molson are going public just to put a value pumping scheme with Gillett.

Unrelated:

#3 Joe Juneau approves the nomination of Jacques Martin as head coach. Bunch of other comments from Juneau, praising the org, stating his dislike of the media coverage sometimes. Nothing new aside from the Jacques Martin comment.

Old
06-05-2009, 02:33 PM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABsurde View Post
Why is Quebecor bad and BCE good, i don't want the Habs on a private channel own by Quebecor BUT, i don't want it either only on Bell satelite with special feature only on Bell cell

Ah yeah... bell, english folks, Quebecor, french folks..... Never mind
It's less scary mostly because it's already how it is. BCE owns RDS and they do have some exclusive stuff on Bell cells.

That makes a lot of sense for BCE. They already pay 19 millions $ in TV right and what 5 or 10 millions$ yearly for the naming right on the building? Thats a lot of money they can get back by vertical integration.

CoupeStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2009, 10:48 AM
Pascal

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/276018.html Quebecor gets support from other companies.

Oh please no.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2009, 10:54 AM
vokiel
Nothing blind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/276018.html Quebecor gets support from other companies.

Oh please no.
That bit: "D'après une entente, les acheteurs potentiels ne peuvent former de consortium pendant le processus d'achat."

means the company is getting capital or loan power. Something all other potential buyers have already done or are in the process of doing. This is normal, but I feel your distress

Old
06-06-2009, 10:55 AM
Pascal

Just the fact Quebecass is in the last 3 bidders is enough to be distressed, indeed.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote