HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Islanders Prospects: 09-10 Edition Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
05-29-2009, 12:30 PM
IslesNorway

vCash: 500
Seems like Haley's been signed by the Isles to a one year deal. Good for him!

Old
05-31-2009, 02:26 PM
Habsfan18

Hey guys,

Max Gratchev has to be signed by tomorrow or else they lose his rights.

Have you guys heard any updates on weather he'll be signed or not?

Old
05-31-2009, 03:07 PM
Sneekypete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Hey guys,

Max Gratchev has to be signed by tomorrow or else they lose his rights.

Have you guys heard any updates on weather he'll be signed or not?
From what I have heard , he wont be signed but you never know...I would like to see him signed even if it were a AHL deal by the Isles farm team

From the games I have seen him play he needs to get stronger but he did seem to skate well.He also seemed smaller then his listed size.
I do think he has good antagonistic qualities maybe he can learn in Bport from a guy like Morency or Haley if he were to get a deal.

Old
06-01-2009, 01:30 AM
daddypuck

How can he learn from morency and haley??? Do you know anything about hockey? He is a skilled and speedy winger comparible to afinegenov an plays with heart and they are 4th line grinders. imo its going to be a huge mistake by the isles. Great player

Old
06-01-2009, 06:02 AM
NYI78

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddypuck View Post
How can he learn from morency and haley??? Do you know anything about hockey? He is a skilled and speedy winger comparible to afinegenov an plays with heart and they are 4th line grinders. imo its going to be a huge mistake by the isles. Great player
you can't sign everyone....gotta trust your scouts...i love how people get upset when a 4th round pick doesn't get signed

Old
06-01-2009, 04:15 PM
Sneekypete

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddypuck View Post
Really , I guess I must be dumb because u basically said so. Anyway I have seen Gratchev play live about 20 times or so between Bport and Lewiston.
FYI comparing a player to crap Afinagenov is not a compliment. Also from what I have seen Gratchev can't dangle nearly as well as Max does.

Gratchev's speed is slightly above average and he plays hard. He is weak on the puck and battling in corners. Gratchev also takes numerous dumb penalties, lots of hooking and holding penalties. Thank God he uses his speed to his advantage.
Like I have said before he has good antagonistic qualities with little jabs and stickwork, pushes and punches .That means he also draws penalties by playing a antagonizer role......
FYI Boo hoo a 4th round pick may or may not get signed just like the 29 other players in that round. I would have liked to seen him get a shot but 50 contracts and tons of picks coming from the Isles last year and this year hamstrings teams. Just look at the Kings and the amount of picks they have had the last few years.

So before asking someone what they know about hockey or a sport it would help if u had a clue about hockey or a sport yourself.

Old
06-01-2009, 06:23 PM
redbull
springtime hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneekypete View Post
Really , I guess I must be dumb because u basically said so. Anyway I have seen Gratchev play live about 20 times or so between Bport and Lewiston.
FYI comparing a player to crap Afinagenov is not a compliment. Also from what I have seen Gratchev can't dangle nearly as well as Max does.

Gratchev's speed is slightly above average and he plays hard. He is weak on the puck and battling in corners. Gratchev also takes numerous dumb penalties, lots of hooking and holding penalties. Thank God he uses his speed to his advantage.
Like I have said before he has good antagonistic qualities with little jabs and stickwork, pushes and punches .That means he also draws penalties by playing a antagonizer role......
FYI Boo hoo a 4th round pick may or may not get signed just like the 29 other players in that round. I would have liked to seen him get a shot but 50 contracts and tons of picks coming from the Isles last year and this year hamstrings teams. Just look at the Kings and the amount of picks they have had the last few years.

So before asking someone what they know about hockey or a sport it would help if u had a clue about hockey or a sport yourself.
always nice to hear first hand reports on a prospect - thanks.

there's obvious reasons why prospects don't get signed, I think you've pointed out more than a few reasons why Gratchev won't be. There's a ton of players that are drafted and aren't signed, no big deal, no regrets. If Gratchev continues to push his career, signs an AHL deal and performs, he'll be rewarded at some point, by the Islanders or someone else.

Clearly they don't see a top six winger as yet...so we move on.

Old
06-02-2009, 09:36 AM
Isles4ever11

Send a message via AIM to Isles4ever11
Just letting everyone know that I will be running the 2009 Prospect Poll again. It will start on July 1. Here are the results of previous years:

2008 Prospect Rankings
2007 Prospect Rankings
2006 Prospect Rankings
2005 Prospect Rankings

Old
06-02-2009, 09:49 AM
BennyBST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles4ever11 View Post
Just letting everyone know that I will be running the 2009 Prospect Poll again. It will start on July 1. Here are the results of previous years:

2008 Prospect Rankings
2007 Prospect Rankings
2006 Prospect Rankings
2005 Prospect Rankings
I can't wait, it's always fun! It will be way more encouraging and exciting following the draft.

Old
06-02-2009, 10:01 AM
BennyBST

There's a good player available to sign since we passed on Gratchev... Bryan Cameron, drafted by LA in 07 in the 3rd round. He had some pretty good numbers the past 3 seasons.. Most likely let go because they're very close to 50...

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=89714

thoughts???

Old
06-02-2009, 10:34 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBST View Post
There's a good player available to sign since we passed on Gratchev... Bryan Cameron, drafted by LA in 07 in the 3rd round. He had some pretty good numbers the past 3 seasons.. Most likely let go because they're very close to 50...

thoughts???
Sounds very interesting.

Those are some solid numbers.... don't know anything about him though.

Old
06-02-2009, 12:29 PM
Sneekypete

Quote:

thoughts???
I dont know anything about him but with his size,I dont see the Isles taking a shot at him. Maybe a AHL deal via Bport but if that happens I would rather have Bport sign Gratchev.

Old
06-02-2009, 11:53 PM
redbull
springtime hockey!

does this mean anything?

Quote:
Overseas, Russia's Continental Hockey League held a draft of sorts yesterday and while the NHL's top prospect John Tavares was not taken Jyri Niemi of the Saskatoon Blades was taken in the second round by SKA St. Petersburg.
Niemi of course was also picked by the New York Islanders in the third round of last years NHL entry draft.
I wouldn't think so - but maybe there's something there. I didn't even know there was a "draft" in the KHL although I can't imagine why there wouldn't be one.

Old
06-03-2009, 09:33 AM
BennyBST

I really hate the KHL

Old
06-03-2009, 09:34 AM
Isles4ever11

Send a message via AIM to Isles4ever11
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
does this mean anything?

I wouldn't think so - but maybe there's something there. I didn't even know there was a "draft" in the KHL although I can't imagine why there wouldn't be one.
Damn that sucks. No idea what Niemi will decide to do, but I do imagine he has more of a chance in Russia than here. Hopefully the Isles do some convincing, because it would suck to lose this guy.

Old
06-03-2009, 10:30 AM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

How is he even allowed to be drafted if the Isles hold his rights? That's ********.

Old
06-03-2009, 10:32 AM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesFanatic View Post
How is he even allowed to be drafted if the Isles hold his rights? That's ********.
Probably because of the lack of transfer agreement or due to the fact that it's a completely different league. Maybe Isles hold his rights if he were to play in North America and they hold his rights if he stays over there in Europe?

Last edited by Strummergas: 06-03-2009 at 10:39 AM.
Old
06-03-2009, 10:34 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesFanatic View Post
The draft has NO bearing on players or where they are or are not allowed to play.

Since there is no agreement between the KHL and NHL, everybody is essentially up for grabs anyway. There is no accountability to any court. A North American contract will have no validity in Russia and vice versa.

It's just like in the days when the WHL and NHL were drafting the same guys.

The KHL draft is of little meaning. It only has a bearing among the teams in its own league, meaning IF a guy like Niemi could ever be lured to Russia, he couldn't just go to the highest bidder, but rather his "KHL" rights would belong to the team that had drafted him.

Old
06-03-2009, 10:41 AM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Thnaks for the clarification guys.

Old
06-06-2009, 12:43 PM
Mathletic

what are your thoughts on Dustin Kohn? Do you think he has a future in the NHL?

Old
06-06-2009, 12:51 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU Seminoles View Post
what are your thoughts on Dustin Kohn? Do you think he has a future in the NHL?
To be honest, at this point I'd say he's a bit of a longshot.

If each of MacDonald, Lee and Callahan return next season, I think each has a better shot of seeing time on the Island than Kohn.

He's really taking a while to develop.... no less than Hillen (if resigned) and MacDonald appear ahead of him in line and that list could grow if Katic is as good as advertised.

Old
06-06-2009, 03:48 PM
BennyBST

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIsle View Post
To be honest, at this point I'd say he's a bit of a longshot.

If each of MacDonald, Lee and Callahan return next season, I think each has a better shot of seeing time on the Island than Kohn.

He's really taking a while to develop.... no less than Hillen (if resigned) and MacDonald appear ahead of him in line and that list could grow if Katic is as good as advertised.
I don't think Dustin will be an outstanding defenseman, but a solid bottom pairing guy. I think he will be a lot similar to Detroit's Brett Lebda, just bigger and more offensive upside. He has improved his defensive game a lot, usually playing against opponents top lines and when called upon he can play the power-play and do a solid job there. I think he replaces Freddy Meyer after next season in the NHL. I do feel that Dustin is poised for a break out season in the AHL something 20-30 pts in 60 games, with a good +/- and will spend some time on the island.

Old
06-06-2009, 04:42 PM
Sneekypete

Quote:
I don't think Dustin will be an outstanding defenseman, but a solid bottom pairing guy. I think he will be a lot similar to Detroit's Brett Lebda, just bigger and more offensive upside. He has improved his defensive game a lot, usually playing against opponents top lines and when called upon he can play the power-play and do a solid job there. I think he replaces Freddy Meyer after next season in the NHL. I do feel that Dustin is poised for a break out season in the AHL something 20-30 pts in 60 games, with a good +/- and will spend some time on the island.
Yah I have always followed and supported Kohn and Agree with Benny. He often flys under the radar many nights. Not getting credit for some nice plays. He also showed a chippy side last year. I hope he takes it to the next level this season. Being this the final season of his Entry level deal , he will play much harder to earn himself a new contract and some time on the Island.

Old
06-06-2009, 05:22 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
I recall reading somewhere that he asked the coach for to play on the top shutdown pairing so that he could really focus on and improve his defensive game. I know you follow the BST pretty closely, any idea if there's any truth to that? If so, I'd say that bodes well for his NHL chances, as he also has decent size and very good mobility.

Old
06-06-2009, 05:30 PM
BennyBST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
I recall reading somewhere that he asked the coach for to play on the top shutdown pairing so that he could really focus on and improve his defensive game. I know you follow the BST pretty closely, any idea if there's any truth to that? If so, I'd say that bodes well for his NHL chances, as he also has decent size and very good mobility.
100% true Seph. He wanted a lot more defensive responsibility.

The puck-moving ability is there, the only thing he doesn't really possess is a great shot. But, most of his goals are on good heads up play such as having good instincts such as scoring on big rebounds when he hops in on the fly. Nice kid too.

Closed Thread