HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT- Montreal residents...

Closed Thread

Old
10-07-2004, 01:46 PM

vCash: 500
OT- Montreal residents...

What's up fellas?

I asked you guys a few months ago about moving to Montreal, you guys were very helpful, things have been quite busy the last few weeks so I haven't had the chance to actually go through with my plans to move, but the time has come again and i'm looking to move for the month of November/December...

My problem is, I don't know where to start...I know you some of you had posted links for apartments but I lost them and there dosen't seem to be a search engine on the forums anymore???

Should I go down for a whole weekend and stay in a hotel and search for apartments? what areas are good?

I've been to Montreal several times, but usually just to go party so I really only know downtown and NDG, really what I need is a tour guide to show me the city! seriously though, anybody have an idea about how or where I could start...I know it's a pretty broad question but any help would be appreciated

Thanks again

Last edited by 417: 10-07-2004 at 02:00 PM.
Old
10-07-2004, 02:27 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 TO MTL
What's up fellas?

I asked you guys a few months ago about moving to Montreal, you guys were very helpful, things have been quite busy the last few weeks so I haven't had the chance to actually go through with my plans to move, but the time has come again and i'm looking to move for the month of November/December...

My problem is, I don't know where to start...I know you some of you had posted links for apartments but I lost them and there dosen't seem to be a search engine on the forums anymore???

Should I go down for a whole weekend and stay in a hotel and search for apartments? what areas are good?

I've been to Montreal several times, but usually just to go party so I really only know downtown and NDG, really what I need is a tour guide to show me the city! seriously though, anybody have an idea about how or where I could start...I know it's a pretty broad question but any help would be appreciated

Thanks again
Finding a decent appartement in november or december? Good luck!

Old
10-07-2004, 02:32 PM
Stefan_Latulippe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ax²+bx+c
Finding a decent appartement in november or december? Good luck!
Well start with those links first:

http://www.moremontreal.com/eetp/imm...logements.html

But this is the best one that was used by one of my cousins moving from Quebec City two months ago http://www.moremontreal.com/apartments/

Old
10-07-2004, 02:37 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 TO MTL

Thanks again
I don't know where you're from and I know for many, this is surprising so I will tell you in case. One "quirk" from this area is that, traditionally, most 1-year leases in Québec start the 1st of July.

In effect, most people in this city move THE VERY SINGLE SAME DAY.

This is not something required by LAW or anything. It has just become a tradition. There ARE exceptions and there are people moving at other periods and there are places to rent in November. It's just VERY hard to find.

Now, leases are usually 1-month and by law, a landlord must send any rent raise or eviction notice 6 months in advance.

Why am I telling you this? Because starting in january, february and march you'll start to see more appartments (and of better quality) available for rent. Now, those appartments won't be vacant yet. But at least you get to choose a place you really like, sign the lease in and move in july.

Your best bet for now is to sign at the cheapest place possible (even if ugly) and bide your time until july.

Of course, if you find a great vacant place now, there's no need to wait!

Anyway, that's our little thing in Quebec. We use the 1st of July as "Moving Day"

Old
10-07-2004, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
I don't know where you're from and I know for many, this is surprising so I will tell you in case. One "quirk" from this area is that, traditionally, most 1-year leases in Québec start the 1st of July.

In effect, most people in this city move THE VERY SINGLE SAME DAY.

This is not something required by LAW or anything. It has just become a tradition. There ARE exceptions and there are people moving at other periods and there are places to rent in November. It's just VERY hard to find.

Now, leases are usually 1-month and by law, a landlord must send any rent raise or eviction notice 6 months in advance.

Why am I telling you this? Because starting in january, february and march you'll start to see more appartments (and of better quality) available for rent. Now, those appartments won't be vacant yet. But at least you get to choose a place you really like, sign the lease in and move in july.

Your best bet for now is to sign at the cheapest place possible (even if ugly) and bide your time until july.

Of course, if you find a great vacant place now, there's no need to wait!

Anyway, that's our little thing in Quebec. We use the 1st of July as "Moving Day"
Thanks for the tips Vlad, i'm from Ottawa so I wasn't aware of this 1st of July thing, but thanks anyways

Old
10-07-2004, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_Latulippe
Well start with those links first:

http://www.moremontreal.com/eetp/imm...logements.html

But this is the best one that was used by one of my cousins moving from Quebec City two months ago http://www.moremontreal.com/apartments/
thx for the links

Old
10-07-2004, 03:38 PM
nickel

I wouldn't count on the July 1st rule.

It's actually easier to find a place this time of the year - everyone is settled in and you won't find yourself competing with 40 people for an apartment.

I just moved a week ago and saw quite a few decent places before finding this one.

Good luck.

Old
10-07-2004, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickel
I wouldn't count on the July 1st rule.

It's actually easier to find a place this time of the year - everyone is settled in and you won't find yourself competing with 40 people for an apartment.

I just moved a week ago and saw quite a few decent places before finding this one.

Good luck.
thx!

Old
10-07-2004, 05:58 PM
Bruin_Ron

If the whole lease thing is a problem... find yourself an apartment with someone who's looking for a roomie. He/she/they may just need someone for the amount of time it would take you to find a nice place. My advice would be to head out to the universities and check out the posters people have put up. For instance, in NDG, head down to the Loyola Campus.. there's always people looking for roomies or someone who's looking to sublease their place.

NDG is a good place to start, imo. It's cheaper than downtown, convenient to get around, and lots of people in the university age range.

- Ron

Old
10-07-2004, 06:10 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin_Ron
If the whole lease thing is a problem... find yourself an apartment with someone who's looking for a roomie. He/she/they may just need someone for the amount of time it would take you to find a nice place. My advice would be to head out to the universities and check out the posters people have put up.
exact ...by the way , if you find something by internet or by news on newspaper , you are going to pay more.There is not a lot of app empty by now in montreal. A landlord with a free space at a cheap price isn't going to pay for a news ; he just has to put something on the window and he"s sure to rent his place.

Closed Thread