HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Flames Re-Sign McElhinney

Old
06-06-2009, 11:09 AM
HuskyFlames

vCash: 500
The deal is now saying 500K per season, absically league minimum.

IMO, I would rather save 500K-1 million a year on a backup to improve the D squad so that it helps both goalies out.

HuskyFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2009, 11:15 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick - Flames Fan View Post

IMO, I would rather save 500K-1 million a year on a backup to improve the D squad so that it helps both goalies out.
guys like Weekes only made about 100k more the McSucky last season... thats why its a horrible deal

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2009, 11:32 AM
Jray42

vCash: 300
lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhsWHUXP65o

Jray42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2009, 11:57 AM
Mihairokov

I like McElhinney...I think the team really tailed off whenever he was playing and thus he got a bad rap. His numbers should look better this coming season.

Mihairokov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2009, 12:20 PM
Stajan Fan

I hate when people make judgements about someone by looking at stats and not knowing the real facts about the situation. I don't think people outside of the team realize how much ability this guy has. The players on the Flames think the world of him, and so does Sutter. He has world class talent, and just needs to get the mental aspect of the game down and he will be an outstanding goalie. He will be given a real shot this year, unlike last year where Keenan their goalie coach David Marcoux did absolutely nothing to develop McElhinney. There's a reason Marcoux got fired, he did nothing to help develop McElhinney.

Stajan Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2009, 12:31 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stajan Fan View Post
I hate when people make judgements about someone by looking at stats and not knowing the real facts about the situation. I don't think people outside of the team realize how much ability this guy has. The players on the Flames think the world of him, and so does Sutter. He has world class talent, and just needs to get the mental aspect of the game down and he will be an outstanding goalie. He will be given a real shot this year, unlike last year where Keenan their goalie coach David Marcoux did absolutely nothing to develop McElhinney. There's a reason Marcoux got fired, he did nothing to help develop McElhinney.
If the players on the Flames thought the world of him they would not quit the second he gave up the 1st goal... I never missed more than 1 game this season and the team simply has 0 confidence when he is between the pipes... they have had the same problem with every backup since Turek with the exceptions of McLennan and Joseph

Old
06-06-2009, 12:42 PM
Stajan Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
If the players on the Flames thought the world of him they would not quit the second he gave up the 1st goal... I never missed more than 1 game this season and the team simply has 0 confidence when he is between the pipes... they have had the same problem with every backup since Turek with the exceptions of McLennan and Joseph
I should have worded that differently. They are amazed at just how much talent McElhinney has, but many times are disappointed when it doesn't always translate to the ice. But it is the mental part that is keeping McElhinney from taking that next step, and a big reason was Keenan and Marcoux did nothing to help Curtis take that next step.

Stajan Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2009, 12:55 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
I should have worded that differently. They are amazed at just how much talent McElhinney has, but many times are disappointed when it doesn't always translate to the ice. But it is the mental part that is keeping McElhinney from taking that next step, and a big reason was Keenan and Marcoux did nothing to help Curtis take that next step.
amazed at how much talent he has? thats a ****ing joke if i've ever heard one... the guy was only a good AHL goalie, not great but good... his talent level simply is not that high

Old
06-07-2009, 12:41 AM
Hyperkookeez*

Quote:

+1

mc.e does an an unfair rap too and he's just a place holder right now anyways

im also content with this signing

Hyperkookeez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 01:12 AM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

I'm glad to see Sutter sticking to his guns about not giving players raises just because their contracts are up.

Now hopefully the rest of the league will follow suit through these difficult financial times.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 01:37 AM
spennygg18

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I'm glad to see Sutter sticking to his guns about not giving players raises just because their contracts are up.

Now hopefully the rest of the league will follow suit through these difficult financial times.
I have an odd feeling that is not going to happen

spennygg18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 01:45 AM
Yzerplan
I has one.

The Flames clearly need a more experienced, reliable backup than McE. Its a very low cap hit so I'm sure theres still a chance this summer that Sutter might bring in a decent backup after all.

Yzerplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 04:02 AM
HockeyScholar

Yeah this is a terrible move. Watching this guy last year and how the team played in front of him as a Flames fan was embarrassing. His win came in a meaningless game for both teams. I read earlier that this is a one way deal too, so we can't send him down to the minors.

McE is 26 for gods sake, I don't see him getting much better. If we want to compete for a Cup next year we need a qualified backup. At least put a decent prospect (Irving) behind Kiprusoff and give him some NHL experience, I'm sure Irving would be able to get more than a single win.

HockeyScholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 04:04 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

How do we know McE isn't good? Kip is getting older now. I say let McE get some starts the first 2 months of the year and see what he can do!

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 04:07 AM
The Dayvan Cowboy
Registered Genius

Wouldn't it make more sense to pay, I don't know, a quarter-a-million more and get a much more experience back-up?

The Dayvan Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 09:27 AM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyScholar View Post
At least put a decent prospect (Irving) behind Kiprusoff and give him some NHL experience, I'm sure Irving would be able to get more than a single win.
A young goalie like Irving needs a lot of minutes and with Kipper still playing too many games it's probably best he spend at least another year in the A.

Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 09:59 AM
Ovie8

If i were the Flames GM I would sign a different goalie to back up Miikka Kiprusoff only because of how badly Curtis was last season. Yes he did win his first game, but they will need someone that can take pressure off of kippers hands and make it easier for him to play late in the season!!

Ovie8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 02:29 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discipline View Post
Wouldn't it make more sense to pay, I don't know, a quarter-a-million more and get a much more experience back-up?
I'd be happy with Weekes who made only 600k or 625k last season... this is why this makes no sense to me

Old
06-07-2009, 02:33 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyScholar View Post
Yeah this is a terrible move. Watching this guy last year and how the team played in front of him as a Flames fan was embarrassing. His win came in a meaningless game for both teams. I read earlier that this is a one way deal too, so we can't send him down to the minors.

McE is 26 for gods sake, I don't see him getting much better. If we want to compete for a Cup next year we need a qualified backup. At least put a decent prospect (Irving) behind Kiprusoff and give him some NHL experience, I'm sure Irving would be able to get more than a single win.
McElhinney can indeed be sent to the minors... 1way contracts have nothing to do with that... its all about how they are paid... 1way deals see the player paid 1 rate of pay regardless of what league... 2way deals have 2 rates of pay, an NHL rate and an AHL rate... the only thing the Flames need to do to demote McElhinney is place him on waivers

Old
06-07-2009, 02:39 PM
Thefalkon

Maybe Sutter wanted to sign McE as a safety net just in case he doesn't sign a backup goalie during the off-season? It isn't like he is giving a terrible goalie a $1 million + contract, and if he plays as bad in 09-10 the worst thing that can happen is that they could send him to the minors.

Thefalkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 02:39 PM
HuskyFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
guys like Weekes only made about 100k more the McSucky last season... thats why its a horrible deal
Weekes wont make a difference. The team system itself sucked and Keenan was a big issue. Bring in a new team system , where players compete and play some defense and C Mac will win his share of games.

HuskyFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 03:15 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Weekes wont make a difference. The team system itself sucked and Keenan was a big issue. Bring in a new team system , where players compete and play some defense and C Mac will win his share of games.
but having a small amount of confidence in your backup could make a huge difference

Old
06-07-2009, 03:17 PM
Saren
Multi Pass!

Quote:
lol.

Saren is offline   Reply With Quote