HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kessel to Edmonton?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-07-2009, 03:25 PM
  #1
Phaser
Registered User
 
Phaser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 518
vCash: 500
Kessel to Edmonton?

I was reading the paper today and it said that the Bruins are looking to trade Kessel if he asks for too much money and would want a top four defenceman back. I was thinking the Oilers could offer Gilbert and the tenth overall, given that Kessel will sign a contract with us.

Phaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 03:27 PM
  #2
WBC8
 
WBC8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Da Wood, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 34,476
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by faiz View Post
I was reading the paper today and it said that the Bruins are looking to trade Kessel if he asks for too much money and would want a top four defenceman back. I was thinking the Oilers could offer Gilbert and the tenth overall, given that Kessel will sign a contract with us.
If the Bruins value Gilbert and his deal, and they want to indeed deal Kessel, they would pull the trigger. That's the deal they are kind of looking to pull off...

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 03:30 PM
  #3
Beerfish
Registered User
 
Beerfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 10,264
vCash: 500
That would be too much for my liking as an oiler fan.

Beerfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 03:32 PM
  #4
Joey Moss
Proud to select...
 
Joey Moss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 21,175
vCash: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
That would be too much for my liking as an oiler fan.
I agree. Gilbert for Kessel would be decent for both teams IMO, maybe Edmonton would add a prospect like Chorney or Schremp but I think adding 10th is overpayment.

This is only if they decide to trade him though.


Last edited by Joey Moss: 06-07-2009 at 03:38 PM.
Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 04:06 PM
  #5
bigbadbruins1
Registered User
 
bigbadbruins1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,602
vCash: 500
As a B's fan I'd say it was fair, but 10th overall and gilbert is a best case scenario...aka Edmonton being desperate and overpaying.
I could see the bruins doing Gilbert + a second rounder or a decent prospect.. preferably the second rounder because for some reason the bruins are godly with second round picks.

bigbadbruins1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 04:22 PM
  #6
BadBruins
Registered User
 
BadBruins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: PEI
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,836
vCash: 500
If the Bruins are dealing Kessel because he's asking for too much money, why would they take back $4 million in salary? Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose?

I'd have to think they'd be more interested in cheap talent.

BadBruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 04:22 PM
  #7
Alex28*
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,989
vCash: 500
Bruins would probably want Grebeshkov - younger than Gilbert, more consistent (not as streaky) in his play, and will most likely come cheaper.

It's hilarious how Gilbert's been pimped out into this ultimate trading chip by the people here and Grebeshkov, a more solid and arguably cheaper player, is completely in his shadow. Oiler fans are quite cunning. If they're trying to save up on money as well Grebeshkov makes more sense.

I assume they'd want to hang on to the 10th overall, so possibly something like Gilbert/Grebeshkov + Eberle + 2nd for Kessel

Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 04:31 PM
  #8
Muscles Glasses
Registered User
 
Muscles Glasses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,367
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
That would be too much for my liking as an oiler fan.
I disagree, the Oilers have an influx of Offensive Defencemen, and do not have the same depth for goal scorers. If that is all that it would take to land a 21 year old 35 goal scorer, I would take that.

Muscles Glasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 04:37 PM
  #9
God
Free Citizen
 
God's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,609
vCash: 500
Bieksa for Kessel.

God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 04:58 PM
  #10
Dr Quincy
Registered User
 
Dr Quincy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 14,823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by faiz View Post
I was reading the paper today and it said that the Bruins are looking to trade Kessel if he asks for too much money and would want a top four defenceman back. I was thinking the Oilers could offer Gilbert and the tenth overall, given that Kessel will sign a contract with us.
The deal makes no sense. If the B's have to trade Kessel because of salary, they aren't going to want a guy that makes even more money. The value is fair, but the cap situation says no.

Dr Quincy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 04:59 PM
  #11
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Homesick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,959
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyCMoney View Post
I disagree, the Oilers have an influx of Offensive Defencemen, and do not have the same depth for goal scorers. If that is all that it would take to land a 21 year old 35 goal scorer, I would take that.
If he had done it in back to back seasons I would agree but too many players are having monster season right before contract time and then not producing.

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 05:38 PM
  #12
Redwood Original
El Presidente
 
Redwood Original's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
The deal makes no sense. If the B's have to trade Kessel because of salary, they aren't going to want a guy that makes even more money. The value is fair, but the cap situation says no.
The Bruins want to trade Kessel because he's looking for 5+ million per season. If Kessel would sign for less they wouldn't be dealing him.

Gilbert is a quality offensive dman, who at 4 million per year long term, provides instant cap savings on a 5+ million dollar contract that Kessel wants.

So in fact, if Boston wanted a young player of close to equal value for Kessel, and to save a bit of cash, Gilbert for Kessel is a cap fiendly deal.

Redwood Original is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 06:28 PM
  #13
Dr Quincy
Registered User
 
Dr Quincy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 14,823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePerfectStorm View Post
The Bruins want to trade Kessel because he's looking for 5+ million per season. If Kessel would sign for less they wouldn't be dealing him.

Gilbert is a quality offensive dman, who at 4 million per year long term, provides instant cap savings on a 5+ million dollar contract that Kessel wants.

So in fact, if Boston wanted a young player of close to equal value for Kessel, and to save a bit of cash, Gilbert for Kessel is a cap fiendly deal.
When has Kessel or his agent said that he is looking for 5+ million?

Dr Quincy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 06:56 PM
  #14
Beerfish
Registered User
 
Beerfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 10,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyCMoney View Post
I disagree, the Oilers have an influx of Offensive Defencemen, and do not have the same depth for goal scorers. If that is all that it would take to land a 21 year old 35 goal scorer, I would take that.
I'm not worried about giving up Gilbert. I am worried about gilbert and the 10th pick in the draft. I'm not saying it is a horrible suggestion but I'd be leery. Perhaps Gilbert and a swap of 1st round picks. Bruins get 10, oilers get 28 or whereever the bruins pick.

Beerfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 07:06 PM
  #15
The Naz
With God given hands
 
The Naz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,214
vCash: 500
I thought I remember Quinn saying they need some toughness and size down the middle. Why deal away a solid tradeing asset for another speedy sniper. Gagner should work out to be similar to Kessel, no? I gotta imagine the new coach will have a say in a major trade like that. It just doesn't seem to be the right fit.

The Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 07:29 PM
  #16
AintLifeGrand
Registered User
 
AintLifeGrand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Thrasherville, GA
Country: Tibet
Posts: 2,387
vCash: 500
to Bos: 4th overall,34th overall, Brett Sterling
to Atl: Kessel, Boston 1st round draft pick

AintLifeGrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 09:00 PM
  #17
oilerbear
Registered User
 
oilerbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,412
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbruins1 View Post
As a B's fan I'd say it was fair, but 10th overall and gilbert is a best case scenario...aka Edmonton being desperate and overpaying.
I could see the bruins doing Gilbert + a second rounder or a decent prospect.. preferably the second rounder because for some reason the bruins are godly with second round picks.
Gilbert was the third best points producing dman in the league at even. third best! Was kessel third best forward at anything? just wondering?

Edit: third best + the 10th. Pathetic!

oilerbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 09:28 PM
  #18
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Bill Ladd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wellesley, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
When has Kessel or his agent said that he is looking for 5+ million?
The rumor I believe they're referencing (Garrioch) said Kessel is looking for $5M, and the B's don't want to go any higher than Krejci money.

"The Bruins and F Phil Kessel appear to be far apart on a contract. Coming off an entry-level salary of $850,000, Kessel wants a huge raise to $5 million per season. It appears GM Peter Chiarelli wants Kessel to accept a similiar deal C David Krejci inked earlier this week -- $11.25 million over three years. If Kessel won't budge, he could be moved.''

Bill Ladd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 09:39 PM
  #19
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Bill Ladd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wellesley, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerbear View Post
Gilbert was the third best points producing dman in the league at even. third best! Was kessel third best forward at anything? just wondering?

Edit: third best + the 10th. Pathetic!
Actually Gilbert was the 7th best even strength scorer, among Dmen in the NHL. 7th, not 3rd.

And Kessel was the 7th best even strength goal scorer in the NHL.

Gilbert's a fine player. No need to make stuff up.

Bill Ladd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 09:47 PM
  #20
Regin 43*
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayMaker View Post
Actually Gilbert was the 7th best even strength scorer, among Dmen in the NHL. 7th, not 3rd.

And Kessel was the 7th best even strength goal scorer in the NHL.

Gilbert's a fine player. No need to make stuff up.
Would Grebeshkov+2nd+Chorney for Kessel+ a centre prospect be fair enough?

You get a solid 2nd pairing puck moving defenseman (not out of the question for him to put up 40+ points next year) + a 2nd round draft pick + an all around defensive prospect (projected a 2-4 defenseman).

Regin 43* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 09:56 PM
  #21
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 5,696
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilGagner89 View Post
I agree. Gilbert for Kessel would be decent for both teams IMO, maybe Edmonton would add a prospect like Chorney or Schremp but I think adding 10th is overpayment.

This is only if they decide to trade him though.
That trade is only good for Oilers... Kessel is worth MUCH more than that, you'd have to have your 09 1st in there to get them to even think about it..

BLAME CANADA* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 09:58 PM
  #22
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 5,696
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regin 43 View Post
Would Grebeshkov+2nd+Chorney for Kessel+ a centre prospect be fair enough?

You get a solid 2nd pairing puck moving defenseman (not out of the question for him to put up 40+ points next year) + a 2nd round draft pick + an all around defensive prospect (projected a 2-4 defenseman).
That wouldn't get you Kessel let alone them adding more... Kessel should be a 40+ goal scorer that doesn't come cheap.

BLAME CANADA* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 10:01 PM
  #23
Regin 43*
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaaaBob View Post
That wouldn't get you Kessel let alone them adding more... Kessel should be a 40+ goal scorer that doesn't come cheap.
Okay, the key word is Rights.

Look it up, we are trading 2 key parts of our future for the CHANCE to sign a big name player. And Boston would be getting a cheap defenseman for someone that they wouldn't be able to sign (this is of course assuming that they can't resign him.)

Regin 43* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 10:42 PM
  #24
Luck 6
\\_______
 
Luck 6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 7,040
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cao View Post
Bieksa for Kessel.
I'd give up Bieksa plus a 2nd for Kessel no problem; I imagine a lot of B fans would like that too if they want a big tough top 4 defenseman (above 0.5ppg pace).

Problem with Kessel is you have to watch out, who's to say he doesn't bolt back to Russia?

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 10:47 PM
  #25
Oblivion
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regin 43 View Post
Okay, the key word is Rights.

Look it up, we are trading 2 key parts of our future for the CHANCE to sign a big name player. And Boston would be getting a cheap defenseman for someone that they wouldn't be able to sign (this is of course assuming that they can't resign him.)
He's an RFA, I don't know what EDM's cap situation is entirely but they could likely be able to offer more than BOS based solely on the depth of their respective rosters.

I guess the biggest worry by trading for rights would be any retribution towards the Oilers for when Kevin Lowe was handing out those offer sheets.

But even then, if they lose a player like Kessel, he'll sign a huge contract and they'd get a significant return that could add to their young core.

*For the record though, I think Grebeshkov, Chorney and a 2nd would be a fair deal.

Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:49 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.