HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kessel to Edmonton?

Old
06-07-2009, 03:25 PM
Phaser

vCash: 500
Kessel to Edmonton?

I was reading the paper today and it said that the Bruins are looking to trade Kessel if he asks for too much money and would want a top four defenceman back. I was thinking the Oilers could offer Gilbert and the tenth overall, given that Kessel will sign a contract with us.

Phaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 03:27 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by faiz View Post
I was reading the paper today and it said that the Bruins are looking to trade Kessel if he asks for too much money and would want a top four defenceman back. I was thinking the Oilers could offer Gilbert and the tenth overall, given that Kessel will sign a contract with us.
If the Bruins value Gilbert and his deal, and they want to indeed deal Kessel, they would pull the trigger. That's the deal they are kind of looking to pull off...

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 03:30 PM
Beerfish

That would be too much for my liking as an oiler fan.

Beerfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 03:32 PM
Joey Moss
Proud to select...

vCash: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
I agree. Gilbert for Kessel would be decent for both teams IMO, maybe Edmonton would add a prospect like Chorney or Schremp but I think adding 10th is overpayment.

This is only if they decide to trade him though.

Last edited by Joey Moss: 06-07-2009 at 03:38 PM.
Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 04:06 PM
bigbadbruins1

As a B's fan I'd say it was fair, but 10th overall and gilbert is a best case scenario...aka Edmonton being desperate and overpaying.
I could see the bruins doing Gilbert + a second rounder or a decent prospect.. preferably the second rounder because for some reason the bruins are godly with second round picks.

bigbadbruins1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 04:22 PM
BadBruins

If the Bruins are dealing Kessel because he's asking for too much money, why would they take back $4 million in salary? Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose?

I'd have to think they'd be more interested in cheap talent.

BadBruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 04:22 PM
Alex28*

Bruins would probably want Grebeshkov - younger than Gilbert, more consistent (not as streaky) in his play, and will most likely come cheaper.

It's hilarious how Gilbert's been pimped out into this ultimate trading chip by the people here and Grebeshkov, a more solid and arguably cheaper player, is completely in his shadow. Oiler fans are quite cunning. If they're trying to save up on money as well Grebeshkov makes more sense.

I assume they'd want to hang on to the 10th overall, so possibly something like Gilbert/Grebeshkov + Eberle + 2nd for Kessel

Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 04:31 PM
Muscles Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
I disagree, the Oilers have an influx of Offensive Defencemen, and do not have the same depth for goal scorers. If that is all that it would take to land a 21 year old 35 goal scorer, I would take that.

Muscles Glasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 04:37 PM
God
Free Citizen

Bieksa for Kessel.

God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 04:58 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by faiz View Post
The deal makes no sense. If the B's have to trade Kessel because of salary, they aren't going to want a guy that makes even more money. The value is fair, but the cap situation says no.

Dr Quincy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 04:59 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyCMoney View Post
I disagree, the Oilers have an influx of Offensive Defencemen, and do not have the same depth for goal scorers. If that is all that it would take to land a 21 year old 35 goal scorer, I would take that.
If he had done it in back to back seasons I would agree but too many players are having monster season right before contract time and then not producing.

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 05:38 PM
Redwood Original
El Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
The deal makes no sense. If the B's have to trade Kessel because of salary, they aren't going to want a guy that makes even more money. The value is fair, but the cap situation says no.
The Bruins want to trade Kessel because he's looking for 5+ million per season. If Kessel would sign for less they wouldn't be dealing him.

Gilbert is a quality offensive dman, who at 4 million per year long term, provides instant cap savings on a 5+ million dollar contract that Kessel wants.

So in fact, if Boston wanted a young player of close to equal value for Kessel, and to save a bit of cash, Gilbert for Kessel is a cap fiendly deal.

Redwood Original is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 06:28 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePerfectStorm View Post
The Bruins want to trade Kessel because he's looking for 5+ million per season. If Kessel would sign for less they wouldn't be dealing him.

Gilbert is a quality offensive dman, who at 4 million per year long term, provides instant cap savings on a 5+ million dollar contract that Kessel wants.

So in fact, if Boston wanted a young player of close to equal value for Kessel, and to save a bit of cash, Gilbert for Kessel is a cap fiendly deal.
When has Kessel or his agent said that he is looking for 5+ million?

Dr Quincy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 06:56 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyCMoney View Post
I'm not worried about giving up Gilbert. I am worried about gilbert and the 10th pick in the draft. I'm not saying it is a horrible suggestion but I'd be leery. Perhaps Gilbert and a swap of 1st round picks. Bruins get 10, oilers get 28 or whereever the bruins pick.

Beerfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 07:06 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

I thought I remember Quinn saying they need some toughness and size down the middle. Why deal away a solid tradeing asset for another speedy sniper. Gagner should work out to be similar to Kessel, no? I gotta imagine the new coach will have a say in a major trade like that. It just doesn't seem to be the right fit.

The Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 07:29 PM
AintLifeGrand

to Bos: 4th overall,34th overall, Brett Sterling
to Atl: Kessel, Boston 1st round draft pick

AintLifeGrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 09:00 PM
oilerbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbruins1 View Post
As a B's fan I'd say it was fair, but 10th overall and gilbert is a best case scenario...aka Edmonton being desperate and overpaying.
I could see the bruins doing Gilbert + a second rounder or a decent prospect.. preferably the second rounder because for some reason the bruins are godly with second round picks.
Gilbert was the third best points producing dman in the league at even. third best! Was kessel third best forward at anything? just wondering?

Edit: third best + the 10th. Pathetic!

oilerbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 09:28 PM
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
When has Kessel or his agent said that he is looking for 5+ million?
The rumor I believe they're referencing (Garrioch) said Kessel is looking for $5M, and the B's don't want to go any higher than Krejci money.

"The Bruins and F Phil Kessel appear to be far apart on a contract. Coming off an entry-level salary of $850,000, Kessel wants a huge raise to $5 million per season. It appears GM Peter Chiarelli wants Kessel to accept a similiar deal C David Krejci inked earlier this week -- $11.25 million over three years. If Kessel won't budge, he could be moved.''

Bill Ladd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 09:39 PM
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerbear View Post
Gilbert was the third best points producing dman in the league at even. third best! Was kessel third best forward at anything? just wondering?

Edit: third best + the 10th. Pathetic!
Actually Gilbert was the 7th best even strength scorer, among Dmen in the NHL. 7th, not 3rd.

And Kessel was the 7th best even strength goal scorer in the NHL.

Gilbert's a fine player. No need to make stuff up.

Bill Ladd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 09:47 PM
Regin 43*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayMaker View Post
Actually Gilbert was the 7th best even strength scorer, among Dmen in the NHL. 7th, not 3rd.

And Kessel was the 7th best even strength goal scorer in the NHL.

Gilbert's a fine player. No need to make stuff up.
Would Grebeshkov+2nd+Chorney for Kessel+ a centre prospect be fair enough?

You get a solid 2nd pairing puck moving defenseman (not out of the question for him to put up 40+ points next year) + a 2nd round draft pick + an all around defensive prospect (projected a 2-4 defenseman).

Regin 43* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 09:56 PM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilGagner89 View Post
I agree. Gilbert for Kessel would be decent for both teams IMO, maybe Edmonton would add a prospect like Chorney or Schremp but I think adding 10th is overpayment.

This is only if they decide to trade him though.
That trade is only good for Oilers... Kessel is worth MUCH more than that, you'd have to have your 09 1st in there to get them to even think about it..

BLAME CANADA* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 09:58 PM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regin 43 View Post
Would Grebeshkov+2nd+Chorney for Kessel+ a centre prospect be fair enough?

You get a solid 2nd pairing puck moving defenseman (not out of the question for him to put up 40+ points next year) + a 2nd round draft pick + an all around defensive prospect (projected a 2-4 defenseman).
That wouldn't get you Kessel let alone them adding more... Kessel should be a 40+ goal scorer that doesn't come cheap.

BLAME CANADA* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 10:01 PM
Regin 43*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaaaBob View Post
That wouldn't get you Kessel let alone them adding more... Kessel should be a 40+ goal scorer that doesn't come cheap.
Okay, the key word is Rights.

Look it up, we are trading 2 key parts of our future for the CHANCE to sign a big name player. And Boston would be getting a cheap defenseman for someone that they wouldn't be able to sign (this is of course assuming that they can't resign him.)

Regin 43* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 10:42 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cao View Post
Bieksa for Kessel.
I'd give up Bieksa plus a 2nd for Kessel no problem; I imagine a lot of B fans would like that too if they want a big tough top 4 defenseman (above 0.5ppg pace).

Problem with Kessel is you have to watch out, who's to say he doesn't bolt back to Russia?

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 10:47 PM
Oblivion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regin 43 View Post
Okay, the key word is Rights.

Look it up, we are trading 2 key parts of our future for the CHANCE to sign a big name player. And Boston would be getting a cheap defenseman for someone that they wouldn't be able to sign (this is of course assuming that they can't resign him.)
He's an RFA, I don't know what EDM's cap situation is entirely but they could likely be able to offer more than BOS based solely on the depth of their respective rosters.

I guess the biggest worry by trading for rights would be any retribution towards the Oilers for when Kevin Lowe was handing out those offer sheets.

But even then, if they lose a player like Kessel, he'll sign a huge contract and they'd get a significant return that could add to their young core.

*For the record though, I think Grebeshkov, Chorney and a 2nd would be a fair deal.

Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote