HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will these former Habs make it into the Hall?

Closed Thread

Old
10-06-2004, 04:11 PM
Rather Gingerly 1*

vCash: 500
Will these former Habs make it into the Hall?

Players like:

John LeClair
Guy Carbonneau
Vince Damphousse
Kirk Muller?

I was watching ESPN Classic last Saturday and they showed Game 2 from the 1993 Stanley Cup Finals. That's the game with McSorley's illegal stick and Desjardins scoring the hat-trick.

The Habs Cup win from '93 is often considered a fluke. But that team had a lot of heart and talent. There's possibly six members from that team who may make it into the HOF. Besides the four above, Savard is already there and Roy is a lock someday.

Old
10-06-2004, 04:36 PM
Guy Caballero

Carbo should.

Old
10-06-2004, 04:38 PM
IcE ColD

Send a message via MSN to IcE ColD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rather Gingerly 1
Players like:

John LeClair
Guy Carbonneau
Vince Damphousse
Kirk Muller?

I was watching ESPN Classic last Saturday and they showed Game 2 from the 1993 Stanley Cup Finals. That's the game with McSorley's illegal stick and Desjardins scoring the hat-trick.

The Habs Cup win from '93 is often considered a fluke. But that team had a lot of heart and talent. There's possibly six members from that team who may make it into the HOF. Besides the four above, Savard is already there and Roy is a lock someday.
I don't think these guys had such a big impact in the league... but if I had to choose one of the above, my pick would be Carbo

Old
10-06-2004, 05:06 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

I don't think so. Not anytime soon, at least. There will be a pretty big backlog of HOF entrants stacking up as the Yzermans and Messiers and that ilk of current almost-retired guys starts marching in, four by four. Of course, who's on tab for this year and next year? People talk about Joe Nieuwendyk being a shoo-in, and Clark Gillies and Bernie Federko did get themselves in, etc, so I suppose by contrast some of those listed are candidates. However, I'd rather tighten up the admissions standards for the future.

Old
10-06-2004, 06:01 PM
EaGLE1

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcE ColD
I don't think these guys had such a big impact in the league... but if I had to choose one of the above, my pick would be Carbo
exactly.

Honestly, i don't think that any of those players belongs to the HOF

Old
10-06-2004, 07:46 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Closest to belonging in the Hall is Carbo, but even he shouldn't make it. Out of the 4, he did what he did best the longest, and was one of the better players in the league to do it.

Old
10-06-2004, 08:05 PM
Hab-a-maniac

There were just two HOF players in my opinion from that team. One, Denis Savard, is in and the other, Patrick Roy, will be in come 2006. Carbo comes close, but what makes Leclair, Damphousse and Muller really do in their career worthy of putting them where the true greats go.

Old
10-06-2004, 09:50 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hab-a-maniac
There were just two HOF players in my opinion from that team. One, Denis Savard, is in and the other, Patrick Roy, will be in come 2006. Carbo comes close, but what makes Leclair, Damphousse and Muller really do in their career worthy of putting them where the true greats go.
I agree that LeClair isn't a HoF'er, but he did score 50 goals 3 consecutive years during the NHL's new low scoring era. I also he believe that from the 1994-95 until 2000 he was the highest scoring player in the NHL.

Old
10-06-2004, 10:40 PM
5_for_fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero
Carbo should.
I hope he does...one of the all time best defensive player

Old
10-07-2004, 09:26 AM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
I dont think any of them will make the HOF. However if i had to place bets, it would be on Carbo who's a far distance between the others you listed imo....

Old
10-07-2004, 10:47 AM
scosar

Not that I am saying he is a shoe in by any sorts, but if you are under 30 then you can only remember Muller as a defensive center. When he came up he was taken No. 2 in the draft behind Lemieux and was a stalwart with New Jersey. He led them from being the Mickey Mouse organization that Wayne labelled them to being respectable and making a couple of good play off runs. Plus he put up 90 plus points.

Old
10-07-2004, 11:05 AM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by scosar
Not that I am saying he is a shoe in by any sorts, but if you are under 30 then you can only remember Muller as a defensive center. When he came up he was taken No. 2 in the draft behind Lemieux and was a stalwart with New Jersey. He led them from being the Mickey Mouse organization that Wayne labelled them to being respectable and making a couple of good play off runs. Plus he put up 90 plus points.
The only thing about those 90+ points is that it was in a high scoring era no?? If so, that would probably translate into something like 60-70 points today. Still not bad though........

Old
10-07-2004, 01:07 PM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Albino
Closest to belonging in the Hall is Carbo, but even he shouldn't make it. Out of the 4, he did what he did best the longest, and was one of the better players in the league to do it.
Carbonneau was the best defensive player in the game for about 10 years, winning 3 selkes and captaining the habs to a cup, and he was considered one of the best leaders of the 80s.

He checked the top centres in the game every single night, hitting them, frustrating them, and shutting them down; he was a fearless shot-blocker; and he even managed to put up some decent numbers on top of it all—better than Gainey's, who was a lock for the HOF after his retirement.

You're damned straight Carbo should be in the HOF. It should be a slam dunk.

Old
10-07-2004, 01:26 PM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rather Gingerly 1
John LeClair
Guy Carbonneau
Vince Damphousse
Kirk Muller
If the HHOF actaully elected memebers like a true hall of fame, none of the four mentioned would make it in, but considering their selections in the past, I wouldn't be surprised if all four evetually make it in. I mean if Bernie Federko is hall worthy, then LeClair, Carbo, Damphousse and Muller certainly are.

Old
10-07-2004, 03:54 PM
tinyzombies

Carbo will go, that's it.

Old
10-07-2004, 05:55 PM
Rather Gingerly 1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
If the HHOF actaully elected memebers like a true hall of fame, none of the four mentioned would make it in, but considering their selections in the past, I wouldn't be surprised if all four evetually make it in. I mean if Bernie Federko is hall worthy, then LeClair, Carbo, Damphousse and Muller certainly are.
Not only Federko but players like Clark Gillies or Joey Mullen. If Gillies gets in how can they decline a guy like LeClair? Who has better numbers.

Old
10-07-2004, 10:10 PM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
Carbonneau should definitely be in the Hall.

Closed Thread