HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kessel to Edmonton?

Old
06-08-2009, 12:12 AM
The Dayvan Cowboy
Registered Genius

vCash: 500
As an Oiler fan who strongly dislikes Gilbert I would cream myself if we did Gilbert + 2nd Round.

Or pretty much anything that doesn't involve the 10th overall.

The Dayvan Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 12:14 AM
hfboardsuser

I'd give up Gagner/Cogliano + Gilbert no problem. I'd even sub in the 10th for either one of those.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 12:15 AM
Flapjack*

Kessel's situation effects the Blackhawks considerably, considering what he accepts will be the template for Toews and Kane.

Honestly, if he gets 5 million, the Hawks would have to give something similar, if not more.

This will be interesting.

Flapjack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 12:23 AM
Homesick

vCash: 50
Why do people really think Kessel will get such a huge return after one good season? Gagners already produced more at the same age, but it seems people think he's not worth a second rounder on here

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 12:29 AM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
I'd give up Bieksa plus a 2nd for Kessel no problem; I imagine a lot of B fans would like that too if they want a big tough top 4 defenseman (above 0.5ppg pace).

Problem with Kessel is you have to watch out, who's to say he doesn't bolt back to Russia?
I don't get why he would bolt back to Russia when he's a American... am I missing something?. Bieksa and a 1st might get it done, just like Gilbert and a 1st might/should, but Bieksa and a 2nd wont. He's 21 years old and should be a 40+ goal scorer you have to pay up for that.

BLAME CANADA* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 12:33 AM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapjack View Post
Kessel's situation effects the Blackhawks considerably, considering what he accepts will be the template for Toews and Kane.

Honestly, if he gets 5 million, the Hawks would have to give something similar, if not more.

This will be interesting.
I think Kane and Toews are more likely to try using these guys as comparables.

speeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 12:34 AM
God
Free Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
I'd give up Bieksa plus a 2nd for Kessel no problem; I imagine a lot of B fans would like that too if they want a big tough top 4 defenseman (above 0.5ppg pace).

Problem with Kessel is you have to watch out, who's to say he doesn't bolt back to Russia?
Bolt...back?

I'd do Bieksa and a first for Kessel, absolutely. They need to take a forward back though, I think. Maybe give us a pick in return.

God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 12:35 AM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
Why do people really think Kessel will get such a huge return after one good season? Gagners already produced more at the same age, but it seems people think he's not worth a second rounder on here
Sam Gagner?... I didn't know he scored 36 goals and 60 points as a 21 year old?... The problem with the Oilers in a trade all they can offer are small under sized forwards, they lose value cause of their size, teams want bigger faster players not small fast players.

Old
06-08-2009, 12:43 AM
Flapjack*

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds View Post
I think Kane and Toews are more likely to try using these guys as comparables.
WOW

So Toews and Kane could be looking in the area of 7 million a year?

Does anybody belive this is what Kessel is also pointing his finger at?

Flapjack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 12:45 AM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapjack View Post
WOW

So Toews and Kane could be looking in the area of 7 million a year?

Does anybody belive this is what Kessel is also pointing his finger at?
No way... Jeff Carter money is what he should get.

Old
06-08-2009, 12:46 AM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaaaBob View Post
Sam Gagner?... I didn't know he scored 36 goals and 60 points as a 21 year old?... The problem with the Oilers in a trade all they can offer are small under sized forwards, they lose value cause of their size, teams want bigger faster players not small fast players.
He sure didn't. Partially because he is only 20 years old.

He put up 49 points as an 18 year old.
He then put up 41 points as a 19 year. Wow he sure trailed off right? Wrong. He finished the year as a -1 on a non playoff team. He improved his plus minus by 20 points in his second season.

What will he do as a 21 year old is yet to be seen. Is Kessels 60 points as a 21 year old really that much better than Gagners 49 points as an 18 year old?

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 12:50 AM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
He sure didn't. Partially because he is only 20 years old.

He put up 49 points as an 18 year old.
He then put up 41 points as a 19 year. Wow he sure trailed off right? Wrong. He finished the year as a -1 on a non playoff team. He improved his plus minus by 20 points in his second season.

What will he do as a 21 year old is yet to be seen. Is Kessels 60 points as a 21 year old really that much better than Gagners 49 points as an 18 year old?
I'm not knock Sam Gagner he should be a good player but he wont be the same type of impact player Kessel will be. Kessel's 36 goals is MUCH better than any NHL season Gagner has had yet. I don't see Gagner scoring 36 goals next year maybe 25...

Old
06-08-2009, 12:58 AM
Doc Scurlock

Quote:
I'm not knock Sam Gagner he should be a good player but he wont be the same type of impact player Kessel will be. Kessel's 36 goals is MUCH better than any NHL season Gagner has had yet. I don't see Gagner scoring 36 goals next year maybe 25...
You won't see Gagner scoring that much. Comparing Gagner to Kessel doesn't work either as Gagner is a playmaker first while Kessel is a goal scorer.

Doc Scurlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 02:21 AM
Homesick

Quote:
Thats because he's only 19 years old

Quote:
You know this how? did everyone know that Kessel was going to score 36 goals this season after a career high 37 points. It's funny that most teams top prospects are still in jr's or the farm, but since Gagner has played 2 seasons before he turns 20 his ceiling isnt as high

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Scurlock View Post
You won't see Gagner scoring that much. Comparing Gagner to Kessel doesn't work either as Gagner is a playmaker first while Kessel is a goal scorer.
Agreed that Gagner is not a goalscorer and at best will be around the 20 goal mark in his career. But Kessel is so overrated right now.

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 08:27 AM
Taz#24

Send a message via MSN to Taz#24
How about...

Phil KESSEL, Andrew FERENCE, Vladamir SOBOTKA and Boston's first rounder for one of Denis GREBESHKOV or Tom GILBERT, Marc-Antoine POULIOT, Gilbert BRULE and Edmonton's first rounder.

Taz#24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 08:57 AM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Thats because he's only 19 years old

You know this how? did everyone know that Kessel was going to score 36 goals this season after a career high 37 points. It's funny that most teams top prospects are still in jr's or the farm, but since Gagner has played 2 seasons before he turns 20 his ceiling isnt as high

Agreed that Gagner is not a goalscorer and at best will be around the 20 goal mark in his career. But Kessel is so overrated right now.
36 goals in 70 games as a 21 year old will do that for you. Also consider Kessel was affected with Mono mid season (coincidentally his bout with mono coincides with his only goal drought of the season).

Here are the only other folks that have done it.

The Bruins would be stupid to give up Kessel, especially for a pick or unproven talent. Dumb.

Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 01:17 PM
rigger

I would like a Gilbert + for Kessel trade from an Oilers perspective. However I would then like to see a Cogliano + for N. Horton as there will be a need for size in Edmonton. Kessel - Gagner - Horton would be an alright second line.

Quote:
You guys know Savard pretty well over there. Gagner will be as similar as a player to Savard as it gets.

Quote:
Gagner has already scored 13 goals as an 18y/o and then 16 as a 19 y/o. I think he will have a couple seasons of 30 goals. In my opinion Gagner is a harder working version of Marc Savard. As a young guy he is putting up better numbers, I think at Gagner's peak he will be like Savard is now. 85-95 points, 20-30 goals, a whole mess of assists that go with it.

Last edited by rigger: 06-08-2009 at 01:29 PM.
rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 01:54 PM
BattleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
I'd give up Gagner/Cogliano + Gilbert no problem. I'd even sub in the 10th for either one of those.
I'm very very happy your not the GM of the Oilers then.

BattleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 02:29 PM
rockinghockey

Gilbert and a 2nd I would do in an instant. I am sure there would probally be another prospect going to Boston also. Kessel is the type of player that we need in Edmonton though. I like the idea of getting Horton from Florida also. Adding those two players to our top 6 would really help out. I am hoping that Penner has a good year under a new coach. This would give us two good scoring lines.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 02:39 PM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
36 goals in 70 games as a 21 year old will do that for you. Also consider Kessel was affected with Mono mid season (coincidentally his bout with mono coincides with his only goal drought of the season).

Here are the only other folks that have done it.

The Bruins would be stupid to give up Kessel, especially for a pick or unproven talent. Dumb.
I thought he also had a stretch at the begining of the year where he only scored 1 goal in 11-12 games.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 03:30 PM
chiapet3819

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cao View Post
Bolt...back?

I'd do Bieksa and a first for Kessel, absolutely. They need to take a forward back though, I think. Maybe give us a pick in return.
Just throwing this out there...

Edler (3.25m) and Raymond (883k) for Kessel(4-5m), McQuaid(525k) and a pick

chiapet3819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 03:39 PM
h0us3b0y

to bos: shaun horcoff, dustin penner, 10th pick
to edm: phil kessel, marc savard, and 3rd round pick

h0us3b0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 04:11 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
I thought he also had a stretch at the begining of the year where he only scored 1 goal in 11-12 games.
His longest drought was 5 games pre-mono. That's both points and goals and happened at the end of October. He did have a period where he scored 1 goal in 10 games, and 4 assists to go with it.

There was a substantial decline in his play after the 2 weeks he was out with Mono. Coincidentally, the normal recovery time is something around 4-6 weeks, which just happens to be how long it too Kessel to get his game back.

End of the day, he still finished top 10 in the league for goals per game.

Oh, and he did it with substantially less PP time then most, playing second unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0us3b0y View Post
This is a joke I hope.

Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 04:21 PM
redbeard7737

Quote:
LOL...and we may as well throw in Chiarelli too since he would be working for the Oilers in this deal anyways...actually, we will give the Oilers Savard, Kessel, Krejci and Chara for Penner and Smid...and a conditional first round pick can go to Edmonton if they make the playoffs...geesh.

redbeard7737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 04:27 PM
BattleGuy

Quote:
I can see you are a new user so i don't want to rip you a new one to badly. But seriouly.....Every post you have made has been terrible.

BattleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote