Notices

Trade Opinion: 4th Overall to Toronto?

Closed Thread

Old
06-06-2009, 11:51 PM
MickKaine

vCash: 500
Trade Opinion: 4th Overall to Toronto?

Hi, Leaf fan here and sorry if others have asked this before but what would it take for the Leafs to move up 3 spots to Atlanta's 4th?

Keeping in mind Burke has said numerous times that Luke Schenn is pretty much untouchable and it would be great to see his brother Brayden as part of the rebuild in Toronto. Also, given how I hear Waddel and Burke are good friends who divulge draft opinions to each other I figure a trade between the two wouldn't be completely unlikely.

So in your opinion, what would it realistically take exchange your 4th overall pick with Toronto's 7th overall?

Old
06-06-2009, 11:57 PM
blankspace6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickKaine View Post
Hi, Leaf fan here and sorry if others have asked this before but what would it take for the Leafs to move up 3 spots to Atlanta's 4th?

Keeping in mind Burke has said numerous times that Luke Schenn is pretty much untouchable and it would be great to see his brother Brayden as part of the rebuild in Toronto. Also, given how I hear Waddel and Burke are good friends who divulge draft opinions to each other I figure a trade between the two wouldn't be completely unlikely.

So in your opinion, what would it realistically take exchange your 4th overall pick with Toronto's 7th overall?
Honestly, I don't think we're particularly interested in anyone the Leafs could offer. I'd much prefer to stand pat at 4th overall. The Leafs won't need to move up to 4th in order to grab Schenn. Possibly 5th or 6th, but not 4th. You should be looking elsewhere.

Old
06-07-2009, 01:22 AM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces

"These are not the draft picks you are looking for."

Old
06-07-2009, 02:41 AM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

I agree there is not much from the leafs that Atlanta would want apart from Schenn. The only other person would be Kaberle. I would do pick 4 for Kaberle and pick 7.

Old
06-07-2009, 10:36 AM
Shameus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4aces View Post

"These are not the draft picks you are looking for."
That is great!

Old
06-07-2009, 12:00 PM
blankspace6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sidorkiewicz View Post
I agree there is not much from the leafs that Atlanta would want apart from Schenn. The only other person would be Kaberle. I would do pick 4 for Kaberle and pick 7.
We don't need Kaberle.
We need a d-man to help out on defense, not offense.

Old
06-07-2009, 12:43 PM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by blankspace6 View Post
We don't need Kaberle.
I dont think we need him either, given our offensive-defense depth (heh). However, it would probably amount to somewhere close to fair value.

Old
06-07-2009, 07:42 PM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankspace6 View Post
We don't need Kaberle.
I agree he is not essential but if someone offers you an all-star defenseman just to move down 3 spots and with the likelihood of Kane still being there at pick 7 (Toronto is high for Schenn at pick 4, Kings want MSP at pick 5 and Phoenix want a d-man at pick 6), you'll be crazy not to accept.

Also you can use Kaberle (or Hainsey) as a trading chip to get a defensive defenseman or a top 6 winger.

Old
06-07-2009, 09:51 PM
Stevoinga

Quote:

Maybe ATL actually "wants" Brayden Schenn...ever think of that?

As I see it, we get one of the following: (order from ISS rankings)

1. JOHN TAVARES C 6'0" 198 L
2. MATT DUCHENE C 5'11" 198 L
3. VICTOR HEDMAN D 6'6" 220 L
4. M. PAAJARVI-SVENSSON LW 6'1" 200 L
5. EVANDER KANE C 5'11" 160 L
6. BRAYDEN SCHENN C 6'0" 196 L

With NYI taking Tavares, Tampa perhaps taking Hedman, that leaves Colorado taking one of Duchene, Kane or Schenn.

We take whomever Colorado doesnt.
I am happy with any one of the 3, Id like to take Schenn just because he is a WheatKing, but thats my personal prejudice!

Old
06-07-2009, 10:27 PM
Magnus Fulgur

Atlanta and Toronto are both angling to become playoff regulars in the East.

The thought of Toronto being able to build with Kane sickens me. We can't let Kane or even MSP slip through our hands.

Old
06-07-2009, 10:31 PM
Enstrom39

Quote:

Two 2nd round picks (09 and 10)

or Michael Grabovski

Old
06-08-2009, 01:13 AM
blankspace6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sidorkiewicz View Post
I agree he is not essential but if someone offers you an all-star defenseman just to move down 3 spots and with the likelihood of Kane still being there at pick 7 (Toronto is high for Schenn at pick 4, Kings want MSP at pick 5 and Phoenix want a d-man at pick 6), you'll be crazy not to accept.

Also you can use Kaberle (or Hainsey) as a trading chip to get a defensive defenseman or a top 6 winger.
I keep reading all the assumptions that Phoenix will pick a d-man but I'm not inclined to believe it. That's too much faith being put into some other teams building process.

I'm not going to deny that Kaberle isn't a good player, but if he was as wanted from other teams around the league as you seem to think, he'd already be off the Leafs. Burke didn't hold onto him for sentimental reasons.

We sucked bad enough to deserve the 4th overall pick. I'd prefer to take the guy we want instead of chancing it in order to pick up another 2nd rounder or so.

Old
06-08-2009, 01:27 AM
darko

Quote:

I think there's a good chance Schenn is available at pick 7 anyways...

1. Tavares / Hedman
2. Hedman / Tavares
3. Duchene
4. Kane
5. MSP
6. Cowen

Old
06-08-2009, 01:36 AM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevoinga View Post
Maybe ATL actually "wants" Brayden Schenn...ever think of that?

As I see it, we get one of the following: (order from ISS rankings)

1. JOHN TAVARES C 6'0" 198 L
2. MATT DUCHENE C 5'11" 198 L
3. VICTOR HEDMAN D 6'6" 220 L
4. M. PAAJARVI-SVENSSON LW 6'1" 200 L
5. EVANDER KANE C 5'11" 160 L
6. BRAYDEN SCHENN C 6'0" 196 L

With NYI taking Tavares, Tampa perhaps taking Hedman, that leaves Colorado taking one of Duchene, Kane or Schenn.

We take whomever Colorado doesnt.
I am happy with any one of the 3, Id like to take Schenn just because he is a WheatKing, but thats my personal prejudice!
Colorado wont touch Kane with a 25 foot pole. It's Duchene all the way.

Old
06-08-2009, 07:19 AM
teme

I think Grabovski is exactly the kind of player Thrashers should want. He had a good season with Leafs, but what really impressed me was how he played for Belarus in WCs. He must have played something close to 30 mins in their final game against Russia and was the best player on ice IMO, even if his team lost. Heart and skill, a very nice combo.

Closed Thread