HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Andrei Kostitsyn to finally get 1st line minutes?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-08-2009, 08:13 AM
  #26
otto bond
Registered User
 
otto bond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,867
vCash: 500
What Im mostly curious, will he play on the right or left?

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 09:17 AM
  #27
Turboflex*
 
Turboflex*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,152
vCash: 500
wow its gonna be a long season if andrei kostitsyn is supposed to be our #1 guy.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 09:51 AM
  #28
TheCH*
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,060
vCash: 500
Kostitsyn can do however well he wants to do.

If he wants to be a scoring machine, he can do it. But, will he put in the effort? Thats the real question mark with him..

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 10:29 AM
  #29
Puckhead58*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
wow its gonna be a long season if andrei kostitsyn is supposed to be our #1 guy.

Thats very true too. We need a bonafide #1 RW....Andrei doesn't cut it. Andrei would be better on the 2nd line and occasionally getting 1st line minutes.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 10:46 AM
  #30
Chomsky
Registered User
 
Chomsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,982
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
Thats very true too. We need a bonafide #1 RW....Andrei doesn't cut it. Andrei would be better on the 2nd line and occasionally getting 1st line minutes.
We need a bonafide #1 centre, what's your point..

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 10:59 AM
  #31
saskhab
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Saskatoon
Posts: 994
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
A coach that knows how to properly develop young players, a coach that puts his talented players on the top lines, who doesn't tolerate little efforts, that teaches how to play effectively at both sides of the ice and that knows where to put players on the right side of the ice. See where i'm going with this...
Kostitsyn also has an over $3m salary at his age which Hossa never had.

saskhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 11:12 AM
  #32
la25ecoupe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,571
vCash: 500
It's all in the head. He needs to be pumped. At least, try to put him with his Bros (all year long! please! What's so hard? Sedins say hell) and a decent Center.

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 11:21 AM
  #33
Puckhead58*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
We need a bonafide #1 centre, what's your point..

My point is.....the whole team needs some new faces and a lot of work....and now's the time to do it since we have nearly $30 million in cap space!!!!

You're right, we do need a #1 centerman....and I'm right, we do need a #1 RW....we could also use a #1 LW and another #1 defencemen to play with Markov. We also need to get #1 goaltending out of either Price or Halak. The Habs need a lot of work and we need to start with signing some new faces. Instead of re-signing players and hoping they fill the holes and turn into good players, we need to sign good players and simply hope they keep their play up.

I'm all for trying to build a solid team from within, but you still need top line players to score some points and lead the way while our young players grow and learn the NHL game. Right now we have Higgins, Plekanec, Lats, Laps, Andrei, Sergei, Kostopoulos who are all still learning to play in the NHL. None of them are close to being top players in the league....so since they aren't ready, we need to sign guys who are there right now and ready to lead the team.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 11:31 AM
  #34
kovalost27
 
kovalost27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 745
vCash: 500
All he needs to do is get his head out of his ass and start driving to the net and shooting! Put over 3-5 shots a game and then we will see if Kostitsyn is really that great.

kovalost27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 11:59 AM
  #35
Chomsky
Registered User
 
Chomsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,982
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
My point is.....the whole team needs some new faces and a lot of work....and now's the time to do it since we have nearly $30 million in cap space!!!!

You're right, we do need a #1 centerman....and I'm right, we do need a #1 RW....we could also use a #1 LW and another #1 defencemen to play with Markov. We also need to get #1 goaltending out of either Price or Halak. The Habs need a lot of work and we need to start with signing some new faces. Instead of re-signing players and hoping they fill the holes and turn into good players, we need to sign good players and simply hope they keep their play up.

I'm all for trying to build a solid team from within, but you still need top line players to score some points and lead the way while our young players grow and learn the NHL game. Right now we have Higgins, Plekanec, Lats, Laps, Andrei, Sergei, Kostopoulos who are all still learning to play in the NHL. None of them are close to being top players in the league....so since they aren't ready, we need to sign guys who are there right now and ready to lead the team.
Have you been following the Free agents market in the last few years? Pretty sure we're not doing so hot out there.

The best FA centre available right now is Saku Koivu. How about we sign this guy, then we can try to lure Hossa and Gabby?

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 12:16 PM
  #36
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU Seminoles View Post
take it for what it's worth but typically players tend to have the same amount of points that they had at 22 years old, one year you get more, some years less but it's about where it stays

so for Andrei it means he's about a 50-55 point guy, he might get 60 one year and 40 the other but it should stay around 50-55, so for me you can't really count on him to be steady force on the first line, though he could complement 2 players superior to him
Jerome Iginla at 22 had 63 points...Your theory isn't all that great.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 12:23 PM
  #37
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,361
vCash: 500
Andrei should get 1st line minutes. No question about it. I would slot him with Koivu and a player with skills who can handle the rough stuff and traffic. Why? Goal scorer with talent, playmaker, and a power forward. It's a no brainer to me why this line would work. Everyone would have their role and it's up to them to achieve it. Kostitsyn has the physical attributes to handle a physical game. We've seen him knock down Lucic and such before, he's capable of being a force out there, physically, defensively, and offensively. This may not be his break out year offensively, but I think we can expect him to learn a role and develop as a player. Using his size, learning the game and becoming an important piece of our team.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 12:30 PM
  #38
zx81
Registered User
 
zx81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by danyhabsfan View Post
HAIR!


Good one

zx81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 12:38 PM
  #39
Ross MacLochness
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,774
vCash: 500
Even as a fan of Akost when I think about his play last year I always think about "Post-Darkest Day" when he had like 3 points in 20 games to close out the year. You just gotta throw that out the window, because that's just not him.

Next year I expect to see many more games like the ones he played in Washinton and Pittsburgh, when Kovalev was banished, just before Lapresse released that "story". Him and Plekanec were just awesome to watch those two nights. I expect a big bounce back year for both of them.

He had 38 points in 52 games at that point. For a sophomore slump, it's really not that bad. But after that game, the bottom fell out on his season.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 12:46 PM
  #40
Magic33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,563
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman View Post
It's up to Kostitsyn.
Agreed 100%.

He can have all the talent in the world, but if he comes to the rink and looks uninterested every night, then no he shouldn't be getting 1st line minutes. Its really all in his hands. Nobody else can do it for him. If he wants to come and play, then he'll get 1st line minutes. If not, then he'll be used on the second and wont get as much ice time.

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 02:47 PM
  #41
Ape Clutch
Registered User
 
Ape Clutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Country: Haiti
Posts: 3,070
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU Seminoles View Post
take it for what it's worth but typically players tend to have the same amount of points that they had at 22 years old, one year you get more, some years less but it's about where it stays

so for Andrei it means he's about a 50-55 point guy, he might get 60 one year and 40 the other but it should stay around 50-55, so for me you can't really count on him to be steady force on the first line, though he could complement 2 players superior to him
not much

Ape Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 02:55 PM
  #42
FlyingKostitsyn
Registered User
 
FlyingKostitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec
Country: Australia
Posts: 8,054
vCash: 500
Andrei reminds me of Marian Hossa at times, I hope Jacques try to mold him that way. When he plays with effort (which he did before the worst day in habs history and after his brother got called up last year) he's far from bad defensively too.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 06:56 PM
  #43
Subban76
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU Seminoles View Post
take it for what it's worth but typically players tend to have the same amount of points that they had at 22 years old, one year you get more, some years less but it's about where it stays
so for Andrei it means he's about a 50-55 point guy, he might get 60 one year and 40 the other but it should stay around 50-55, so for me you can't really count on him to be steady force on the first line, though he could complement 2 players superior to him
? That's the age most players reach the league. Maybe this works for the stars and elite talent because the reach the league at 18-20 and even then, but simply WOW on that statement. I'm sure Lecavalier, Thornton and Iginla don't agree with you! Datsyuk reached the league at 24 and Zetterberg at 23!

I could list at ***** load of players that it doesn't apply to.

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 07:20 PM
  #44
Mathletic
Registered User
 
Mathletic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: St-Augustin, Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Komi View Post
? That's the age most players reach the league. Maybe this works for the stars and elite talent because the reach the league at 18-20 and even then, but simply WOW on that statement. I'm sure Lecavalier, Thornton and Iginla don't agree with you! Datsyuk reached the league at 24 and Zetterberg at 23!

I could list at ***** load of players that it doesn't apply to.
just take a quick look at the Canadiens, 22 year old season vs 2008-2009

Kovalev 58 vs 65
Koivu 56 vs 50
Andrei K 53 vs 41
Tanguay 48 vs 41 ... injured this season though and had a poor year at 22, so you could adjust it with the next couple of seasons
Plekanec 47 vs 39 ... used his season after since he was 22 during the lockout
Higgins 38 vs 23 ... had a good season last year to compensate for this year
Lapierre 18 vs 28 ... played fewer games last year which was his 22 year old season

of course there's more to it than just say pick that 22 year old year and then induce it for all seasons, of course it doesn't end there, but it gives a good idea I find

last year many players were over that mark, just like the year before they might have been under and in the end it kinda evens out, nothing perfect, but can give a general idea of what a player might be worth


Last edited by Mathletic: 06-08-2009 at 07:31 PM.
Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 07:47 PM
  #45
Avim86
Registered User
 
Avim86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal , Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,515
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU Seminoles View Post
just take a quick look at the Canadiens, 22 year old season vs 2008-2009

Kovalev 58 vs 65
Koivu 56 vs 50
Andrei K 53 vs 41
Tanguay 48 vs 41 ... injured this season though and had a poor year at 22, so you could adjust it with the next couple of seasons
Plekanec 47 vs 39 ... used his season after since he was 22 during the lockout
Higgins 38 vs 23 ... had a good season last year to compensate for this year
Lapierre 18 vs 28 ... played fewer games last year which was his 22 year old season

of course there's more to it than just say pick that 22 year old year and then induce it for all seasons, of course it doesn't end there, but it gives a good idea I find

last year many players were over that mark, just like the year before they might have been under and in the end it kinda evens out, nothing perfect, but can give a general idea of what a player might be worth
I dream of Andrei wrecking the league , , resign koivu (2nd line center) , Kovy (2 years tops until andrei gets enough confidence to be on the first) and tanguay as well as signing a bonafide 1 center for a package of parts , good prospects and picks we are going to have to give something important from our pack of young prospects to get anything decent.

Imagine Tanguay-1st line center-Kovy
A.Kos-Koivu-S.kos
Higgins-Plek-Latendresse
Laraque-Lapierre-Kosto
Markov-1st pairing D
Hamrlik-Subban (one can dream of him turning into Phaneuf 2.0 except faster and abit less physical)
Obyrne-Gorges (and in less then a couple seasons Mcdonagh drool)
Price/Halak.

I like it alot just gotta pull the trigger Bob don't be afraid to give away quality to get quality back.

Avim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 08:16 PM
  #46
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
First line minutes is something that's earned, not given. If he comes to camp in great shape, with a great attitude and displays great work ethics while having some success offensively (no early slump), he'll make a point for himself. I honestly thought that he'd show that last season so for me, it was a bit of a disappointment.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 09:01 PM
  #47
Go Habs Go
Registered User
 
Go Habs Go's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by danyhabsfan View Post
HAIR!
lmao

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 09:08 PM
  #48
holyhabs87
Registered User
 
holyhabs87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
First line minutes is something that's earned, not given. If he comes to camp in great shape, with a great attitude and displays great work ethics while having some success offensively (no early slump), he'll make a point for himself. I honestly thought that he'd show that last season so for me, it was a bit of a disappointment.
the entire team minus lapierre was a disappointment

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 09:18 PM
  #49
Lucius
Registered User
 
Lucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman View Post
It's up to Kostitsyn.
Agreed, but with one caveat: "...and Gainey."

Based on whose under contract today, I have an outside chance at first line minutes next year *GRIN*

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 09:26 PM
  #50
FlyingKostitsyn
Registered User
 
FlyingKostitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec
Country: Australia
Posts: 8,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by holyhabs87 View Post
the entire team minus lapierre was a disappointment
What about that Markov dude?

I can't believe how often people forget about our only star player.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:47 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.