HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Where can I get good stick tape?

Old
06-06-2009, 08:16 PM
Pierre Gotye

vCash: 500
Where can I get good stick tape?

I typically use black stick tape, this stuff that Players bench has. But it always seems to be cheap, and fall off during the game.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2009, 08:48 PM
dirtydevs9

Send a message via AIM to dirtydevs9
By stick tape you mean for your hockey stick? Any local sporting goods store should carry cloth hockey tape.

dirtydevs9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2009, 09:25 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentbreakaway23 View Post
I typically use black stick tape, this stuff that Players bench has. But it always seems to be cheap, and fall off during the game.
Try out some different stuff here and there. I recently found a great tape for grip puproses but it does break down faster than white tape.

I use a black cloth tape that has some friction to it, more so than white athletic trainers tape.

One thing I do to make it noticably longer is to use the heat gun I use to heat up my 2 piece composite sticks when I change blades to adhere the tape better to the blade. I rub wax on the tape and melt it into the fabric, the heated tape then bonds to the blade better.

I still have to change the tape every single shinny hockey session or 3 league games. Currently I am injured and not playing but when i do that is what I do.

But yeah just try out some different types of tape that are sold until you hit one you like. Not all black cloth tape is the same and not all white athletic trainers tape is the same. Brand by brand you will find differences in quality.

I do not know what any online sellers have as I buy locally and i may add this black cloith tape i use is not the same as sold at the other stores. Not sure where he gets it but I should ask because I certainly am sold on it.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 12:08 AM
ClicheGuevara

http://www.hockeyx.com/hockey/produc...P&dept_id=3071

local shop switched to this recently. its much better than what they had before.

ClicheGuevara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 11:37 AM
vivianmb

home depot carries friction tape...in the electrical aisle. it's sticky and doesn't wear down as much as plain cloth tape. snow doesn't build up on it as much as cloth tape.

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 11:59 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivianmb View Post
home depot carries friction tape...in the electrical aisle. it's sticky and doesn't wear down as much as plain cloth tape. snow doesn't build up on it as much as cloth tape.
I'va actually seen that there too ... my brother still uses the old fashioned heavy friction tape that smells like pine tar or something. It is very sticky and durable.

Mario Lemieux used to use that as he said he liked the weight it added to the blade.

Old
06-07-2009, 02:29 PM
Everest

They sure don't make it like they used to. Composite sticks have such smooth finish on the blades, I think this is part of the problem?

Best advice is to ... Make sure the blade is clean and dry before you tape it, wind the tape onto the stick as tight as you can, pressing it onto the blade each time you go around...and then steal a candle off the mantle and coat the tape with it.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 07:47 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
They sure don't make it like they used to. Composite sticks have such smooth finish on the blades, I think this is part of the problem?

Best advice is to ... Make sure the blade is clean and dry before you tape it, wind the tape onto the stick as tight as you can, pressing it onto the blade each time you go around...and then steal a candle off the mantle and coat the tape with it.
Yep that is how I do it ... I melt the wax in with a heat gun to boot and it helps the tape glue to really stick well.

And yes the old woody sticks had raised lines that did help with shooting friction. I have seen an RBK composite stick/blade that had that ribbed look made into it. I forget what it was called but had a Crosby name on it and some snakegrip thingie on the shaft. It was gold and black colored with white.

I cannot use plain white tape on a stick any longer because I use a composite blade that is smooth. I agree that they need the raised ridges too.

I get good results with a tougher black cloth tape though and I use the 1 inch wide tape. I used to use the extra wide white athletic tape but it just doesn't work on these smooth blades anymore which is a shame because the white tape lasts longer.

Old
06-07-2009, 08:16 PM
SirJW

Renfro is good.
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_38hdzx0z15_b

Howies is good too.
http://www.howieshockeytape.com/

SirJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 11:44 PM
CptKirk
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJW View Post
Those are the two best IMO. Renfrew is the leading brand, and for good reason.

CptKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 12:13 AM
FLYLine24*

Awesome thread......there is some real CRAP tape out there then gets all messed up in 3 shots..and then there is tape that can last 5 games.....i'm always looking for good stick tape.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 10:29 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm a big fan of Comp-O-Stik tape, very durable, comes off the roll pretty clean, doesn't leave tape residue on the stick usually. Hockey Giant sells it as "Gear" tape for pretty cheap.

Andover is too thin so it rips easily and leaves sticky residue.

Renfrew seems to come off the roll poorly and leave the string on the edges, as well as being too smooth.

Jaybird seems pretty good, similar to Comp-O-Stik, but nobody carries it around here.

I'd like to try Howie's but don't want to special order a box of tape.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 12:42 PM
Pierre Gotye

The stuff I have is from Andover Hockey and I just don't like it.

It doesn't seem to adhere very well and comes unwrapped during games. I put a lot of wax on my stick maybe that's part of the problem?

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 12:57 PM
blueberrydanish

To those who say they have theirs last for several games(esp the guy that said 5) how do you do that? I take a decent amount of slappers, and when I tape my stick I put some along the bottom then when I roll the entire blade its only about 1 layer thick. Do you just heavily tape it and not take many heavy slappers? My tape lasts just 1-2 sessions.

edit - also gonna try the whole waxing thing, just been recently hearing about it would love to see how it works out, any good ole wax will do ?

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 01:05 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

FYI, Andover has steadily declined over the last year or so and most of my local shops stopped carrying it.

The Comp-O stuff I use typically lasts a full game, although I re-tape regardless. With a little bit of wax, a tape job would probably last several games.

With wax, I like the Mr Zoggs hockey wax. After taping up the stick, I lightly rub it on both sides, make sure the bottom has a good amount, and then kind of rub it in to the tape a bit with my fingers. I can't remember where I read it, but an NHL'er was talking about kids using too much wax, and all you need is just a little bit to repel water. I used to cake the thing in wax and melt it in, but since I like to retape every ice time, I just do a little bit of wax to keep the snow from building up.

Old
06-08-2009, 02:28 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentbreakaway23 View Post
The stuff I have is from Andover Hockey and I just don't like it.

It doesn't seem to adhere very well and comes unwrapped during games. I put a lot of wax on my stick maybe that's part of the problem?
I use Andover black tape and love it. it has more grip on the puck than white tape as well as some other black cloth tapes I have used.

Yes it is easier to have turn into crap I agree. The better performance for me though makes me still use it and money for extra tape isn't an issue with me. I go through a lot of it but it really puts some serious spin on the puck for saucer passes and some great zip on slapshots.

Okay what I do to make it last is coat it with wax and then melt it into the fabric with a heat gun. The heat gun also bonds the glue better and it makes it last much longer. I can play 2 full hours of shinny hockey with it after which it needs to be replaced. It lasts me for about 3 league games though. Before I heated it up it would last half of a shinny and I would change the tape every league game.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 06-08-2009 at 02:36 PM.
Old
09-17-2009, 01:45 AM
Maupin Fan
Hot Air

The pro shop at my rink has a brand called jaybird. I skate 3 to 4 times a week and the tape has been going strong for a solid two months now. Much better than renfrew

Maupin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 04:12 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I've switched back to Renfrew, my local sports store got a new shipment in and this stuff is the best tape I've used. Easier to rip than the Comp-O and more friction, but just as durable in a game.

Old
09-17-2009, 04:20 PM
robmneilson

Renfrew is the best....

But what I do that keeps the life of my tape going much much longer is by using hair wax on it instead of the normal stick wax.

Get DAP or some super heavy duty hair wax (usually less than $3 per can and it lasts forever). Heat it up with a hairdryer, slather it on the blade. Often gets me 5 games or so before I need to change it.

robmneilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 04:57 PM
Heat McManus

3M Spray adhesive on the blade before you tape should help keep it on the blade. It will tear, but stay on the blade.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 03:43 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Or take a hair dryer to the blade after applying to activate the adhesive.

I use a bit of Zogs, it's maybe $5 to last me six months.

Old
09-18-2009, 04:21 PM
Devil Dancer

I use whatever they sell at the Capitals practice facility. It's much better than the cheap stuff you get at hockeygiant, but I don't remember the brand name. If I remember I'll check later and post it here.

Devil Dancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 09:14 PM
greyraven8

i usually put a strip of tape along the bottom of the stick before i tape the blade, and then i wax the blade. this seems to help the tape job last a bit longer.

but the tapes i've tried recently are all pretty crappy - edges come off when unrolling. i'm going to look for some of the brands recommended here and try them out.

i think a lot of the hockey tape on the market has gone down in quality over the years (decades?).

greyraven8 is offline   Reply With Quote