HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Draft Day -- PRONGER ACQUIRED (details in post #857)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-08-2009, 04:56 PM
  #1
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Draft Day -- PRONGER ACQUIRED (details in post #857)

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/phi090608a.html

Quote:
Once Florida Panthers defenseman Jay Bouwmeester hits the open market as an unrestricted free agent July 1, the Philadelphia Daily News reports the Flyers will be hot on his trail.
Having already lured free agent goalie Ray Emery to town, a signing that will be made official as soon as the free agent market opens, the Flyers need a backup goaltender and are looking for an upgrade on the blueline.

Bouwmeester sits atop Philadelphia's wish list, but signing him will require another body to move.

The Daily News suggests the Flyers are interested in re-signing Mike Knuble, who can also become a UFA this summer.

According to the paper, the Flyers might try to move Joffrey Lupul and his annual salary of just over $2.31 million.

The Flyers won't be alone in their pursuit of Bouwmeester, however, as the Vancouver Canucks, Montreal Canadiens, Toronto Maple Leafs, Colorado Avalanche and Los Angeles Kings are also interested.

Made me so happy I will copy paste the whole thing. Bouwmeester is exactly what this club needs.

Trade Carle and Lupul, waive Jones. This is doable!

Timonen Coburn
Bouwmeester Sbisa
Parent Alberts/Vaananen/ anyone else for 1M a year.

I hope Homer will get it done.


Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 06-26-2009 at 06:52 PM.
Kaktus* is offline  
Old
06-08-2009, 04:59 PM
  #2
TheePlaymaker12
Registered User
 
TheePlaymaker12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Lancaster, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 451
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TheePlaymaker12
not gonna lie that'd be amazing! i'd still like to see danny's salary go first tho

TheePlaymaker12 is offline  
Old
06-08-2009, 05:08 PM
  #3
BillyShoe1721
Terriers
 
BillyShoe1721's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,634
vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
I can only hope we could unload those three salaries, but I seriously don't see it happening.

BillyShoe1721 is offline  
Old
06-08-2009, 05:09 PM
  #4
Selanne08*
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,899
vCash: 500
yeah it will be interesting to see the flyers trying to unload salaries.

Selanne08* is offline  
Old
06-08-2009, 05:14 PM
  #5
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
I can only hope we could unload those three salaries, but I seriously don't see it happening.
Well Homer was trying to trade for Jay-Bo at the dead line but askin price was Giroux.

I have no links. Overheard on Comcast last week when they were talking about Emery. Also, Tim P said that Bouwmeester is not coming here.

If Homer was trying to trade for Bouwmeester maybe he would do it if the price was not Giroux.

It is simple, Bouwmeester is the best UFA d-men and Flyers must try everything to sign him.

Maybe Briere would be easier to move (next year) if he could manage 90pts a season. Very doable stats if he stays healthy.

Kaktus* is offline  
Old
06-08-2009, 05:15 PM
  #6
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!
 
Hockeypete49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 4,463
vCash: 500
Man that would be really sweet!!!!!!!!

Hockeypete49 is offline  
Old
06-08-2009, 05:18 PM
  #7
ForsbergIsOdin
Registered User
 
ForsbergIsOdin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Asgaard
Country: Sweden
Posts: 8,391
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Yes to JBO

ForsbergIsOdin is offline  
Old
06-08-2009, 05:19 PM
  #8
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Because The Fourth Period has proven itself time and time again to be a legitimate news source that would never prematurely report signings that don't happen or anything like that.

FlyHigh is offline  
Old
06-08-2009, 05:21 PM
  #9
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Because The Fourth Period has proven itself time and time again to be a legitimate news source that would never prematurely report signings that don't happen or anything like that.
Huh?

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...or_Flyers.html

Quote:
With Ray Emery signed, the Flyers will now have to focus on the second goalie. Antero Niittymaki is also an unrestricted free agent. It has been written that he is comfortable in the role; I doubt, however, that he would pass up a chance to be a starter .

Since the Flyers are looking to upgrade their defense, Jay Bouwmeester, Florida's big-name free agent, is a target.

Mike Knuble is without a contract. He wants to stay, the Flyers want him to stay, but to sign him and bring in Bouwmeester, a big contract will have to leave.

Joffrey Lupul? Maybe. *
They're referencing Ed Moran from the Daily News.

Jester is offline  
Old
06-08-2009, 05:23 PM
  #10
chimrichalds18
the key
 
chimrichalds18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,769
vCash: 500
rather have beauchemin as discussed in other threads, but i've got no control over the situation so it's wait and see

chimrichalds18 is offline  
Old
06-08-2009, 05:25 PM
  #11
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
rather have beauchemin as discussed in other threads, but i've got no control over the situation so it's wait and see
Depends on the level of overhaul Holmgren finds himself capable of enacting. If he can find deals for Briere and Lupul, then I would like Bouwmeester. If he can't, then I would rather waive Jones and bring in someone of the middle-tier ilk.

Jester is offline  
Old
06-08-2009, 05:26 PM
  #12
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Huh?

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...or_Flyers.html



They're referencing Ed Moran from the Daily News.
Whoops, missed that one.

Anyways, I don't think this changes anything. I think the Flyers' pursuit of Bouwmeester is fairly well-documented, the TSN guys were nearly positive we were trading for him at the deadline, to the point of checking their Blackberries after the Carcillo trade and saying that a deal for Bouwmeester was extremely likely.

I dunno, I just really think this is a dumb move in the long-term unless we decide to trade Coburn after this year.

FlyHigh is offline  
Old
06-08-2009, 05:32 PM
  #13
46zone
Guttersnipe
 
46zone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,889
vCash: 500
Well then Homer better dump the contract of Carle, Jones, and Lupul to make this work.

46zone is offline  
Old
06-08-2009, 05:32 PM
  #14
BrindamoursNose
Registered User
 
BrindamoursNose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
rather have beauchemin as discussed in other threads, but i've got no control over the situation so it's wait and see
If you can get Bouwmeester over Beauchemin, you get Bouwmeester. I don't care if he'll cost 3-4 mill more a year...he's worth it.

BrindamoursNose is offline  
Old
06-08-2009, 05:33 PM
  #15
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Whoops, missed that one.

Anyways, I don't think this changes anything. I think the Flyers' pursuit of Bouwmeester is fairly well-documented, the TSN guys were nearly positive we were trading for him at the deadline, to the point of checking their Blackberries after the Carcillo trade and saying that a deal for Bouwmeester was extremely likely.

I dunno, I just really think this is a dumb move in the long-term unless we decide to trade Coburn after this year.
Long-term, I find it hard to believe having a defenseman of Bouwmeester's level on our team would be a bad thing. Here's a hypothetical for how to construct our D going forward (with Bouwmeester).

Timonen-Parent
Coburn-Bouwmeester

I think that would clearly be the top 4. Carle and Jones at a combined 6M or whatever they come to are ridiculous to keep around this team...Jones obviously expires after next season, and Carle would need to be traded most likely.

That group right there could play 40-50 minutes a night, meaning you could go real cheap on your bottom pairing...fill it out with promising rookies and guys that can eat minutes (say, Guenin).

Now, all of this would still require to ship out Briere...something I'm not expecting to happen, so until I see reliable reports that a Briere deal is in place, then this stuff is all pure conjecture. Jones is easy to get rid of in the immediate, and I have to think they could figure out a way to move Carle.

Jester is offline  
Old
06-08-2009, 05:37 PM
  #16
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Because The Fourth Period has proven itself time and time again to be a legitimate news source that would never prematurely report signings that don't happen or anything like that.
If you consider them a bad source, fine. I do not.

Kaktus* is offline  
Old
06-08-2009, 05:37 PM
  #17
chimrichalds18
the key
 
chimrichalds18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Depends on the level of overhaul Holmgren finds himself capable of enacting. If he can find deals for Briere and Lupul, then I would like Bouwmeester. If he can't, then I would rather waive Jones and bring in someone of the middle-tier ilk.
yea well that overhaul is kinda what scares me. briere and lupul is almost 11 million, add jones' 2.75 and thats something like 13.5. let's overestimate and say jbo gets 7. that gives us 6.5 to work with (with those 3 players on the way out). we won't be able to trade lupul and briere without taking something back. if homer pulls the trigger on these types of deals, it's imperative that he gets a third line center back. maybe we get 4 million in salaries back for that 6.5, which leaves us 2.5 or so, and that doesn't count getting rid of someone like knuble. as flyhigh has pointed out, you start subtracting some of our forwards, all the sudden our offensive 'depth' looks kinda thin.

on top of that, we're talking about resigning giroux, carter, gagne, coburn, and a goalie in the next two years, AND the caps supposed to come down. bouwmeester means coburn's gone next year, and it seems to me like the flyers are in love with him. the more i think about it, i'm personally against jbo just b/c he is not what this team needs -- financially, of course, but also b/c he's a #1 and we need a #2-3 guy (beauchemin, as i've said)

i think holmgren can make this happen, but there will definitely be some casualties that are gonna make some people upset. they'll have to tread lightly.

this offseason is very much gonna define holmgren as a gm. the first one was great, love that richards is gonna be here long term, but since then...

chimrichalds18 is offline  
Old
06-08-2009, 05:41 PM
  #18
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
i think holmgren can make this happen, but there will definitely be some casualties that are gonna make some people upset. they'll have to tread lightly.
There are very few players on our roster, or in our system I would be upset at sacrificing (smartly) in order to acquire a player like Bouwmeester.

Quote:
this offseason is very much gonna define holmgren as a gm. the first one was great, love that richards is gonna be here long term, but since then...
I agree, but fear the past year will define him...and by that I mean, he's dug his own grave and it's going to screw him up consistently going forward.

Jester is offline  
Old
06-08-2009, 05:42 PM
  #19
RoDu
Shagga likes axes
 
RoDu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,444
vCash: 500
I'd eat my gym shirt if Holmgren can pull this off without gutting our young core or landing us in salary cap hell

RoDu is offline  
Old
06-08-2009, 05:43 PM
  #20
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
I'd eat my gym shirt if Holmgren can pull this off without gutting our young core or landing us in salary cap hell
Well, on the upside, we're already there. So it can't get worse!

Jester is offline  
Old
06-08-2009, 05:44 PM
  #21
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Long-term, I find it hard to believe having a defenseman of Bouwmeester's level on our team would be a bad thing. Here's a hypothetical for how to construct our D going forward (with Bouwmeester).

Timonen-Parent
Coburn-Bouwmeester

I think that would clearly be the top 4. Carle and Jones at a combined 6M or whatever they come to are ridiculous to keep around this team...Jones obviously expires after next season, and Carle would need to be traded most likely.

That group right there could play 40-50 minutes a night, meaning you could go real cheap on your bottom pairing...fill it out with promising rookies and guys that can eat minutes (say, Guenin).

Now, all of this would still require to ship out Briere...something I'm not expecting to happen, so until I see reliable reports that a Briere deal is in place, then this stuff is all pure conjecture. Jones is easy to get rid of in the immediate, and I have to think they could figure out a way to move Carle.
I made an extraordinarily long-post about this in the rumors thread, so I'll try to sum it up here.

A) Briere's money goes to J-Bouw, so you still lose JVR/Giroux in 2 years.

B) Still no flexibility, doesn't improve our cap situation.

C) Knuble will be retired/not here in 1-2 years.

D) Lupul is as good as gone.

E) Forward top-6 in 2 years if we sign J-Bouw. Richie, Carter, Gagne, Hartnell, Giroux. Assume we deal JVR. That's 5 guys.

F) Wings have 10 forwards averaging 12 minutes or more in the postseason I believe (essentially 9 now that Datsyuk's back).

G) We'd have 5 in that scenario.

H) We're already in big trouble on forward depth and after JVR/Giroux, we have no prospects outside of Nodl and Maroon and Matsumoto who can't even play AHL defense.

I) No depth. If one of those 5 guys goes down, you're looking at playing 2 AHLers/2 grinders top-6 minutes.

FlyHigh is offline  
Old
06-08-2009, 05:47 PM
  #22
supa scoop
Registered User
 
supa scoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bridgeton, NJ
Posts: 401
vCash: 500
In a non-salary cap world, or at least one that isn't supposed to drop like a rock in a year... a very emphatic yes to Bouwmeester.

If we can get his rights and somehow get him for Timonen-money or less, I will be very happy. Of course that's also contingent on moving Briere or any 2 of Carle/Lupul/Jones, in order to be alright with space for 10/11 without gutting the team in some aspect.

As a talent.. you just can't deny that Bouwmeester would drastically improve our defense. I'd be very excited if we acquired him.

supa scoop is offline  
Old
06-08-2009, 06:06 PM
  #23
Flyersguru
Registered User
 
Flyersguru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,395
vCash: 500
Talk about pulling a story out of nothing, I suspect 15 teams will target JayBo. This isn't news.

Flyersguru is offline  
Old
06-08-2009, 06:10 PM
  #24
shamski7
Registered User
 
shamski7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bucks County, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,147
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to shamski7
im all for signing JBO if it somehow doesnt land us in salary cap hell. dont forget you have to re-sign coburn at the end of next year

shamski7 is offline  
Old
06-08-2009, 06:21 PM
  #25
BGDDYKWL
Registered User
 
BGDDYKWL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,678
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
rather have beauchemin as discussed in other threads, but i've got no control over the situation so it's wait and see
I'm with ya. We're essentially talking JBo, or Beauchemin, Knuble, and like 2 mil left over. You could use that to get a guy like Malhotra/Pahlsson, or a solid dman for the third pairing. No-brainer IMO.

BGDDYKWL is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:08 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.