HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Emelin to stay in Russia at least one more year

Old
06-08-2009, 11:16 PM
vokiel
I hate blind passes

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
Could it be that Meehan is trying to raise the bid ? Is he Komisarek's agent too ? Maybe this will lead to a higher contract to Mike....

BTW - what exactly were the Habs allowed to offer ? Is there a cap for entry level contracts in NHL applying to Emelin ?
Financial guarantees were put forth as the reason of his choice, meaning he wasn't even sure of getting whatever that entry level NHL contract might offer.

IMHO, it's the same reason Valentenko left. AHL salaries aren't up to par with KHL salaries.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 12:05 AM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
No more wasted picks please. If a player hasn't decided to come to NA 100% I dont want him in the system. Draft more Canadians I am sick of this BS.
I agree.. I have nothing against Russian players, but the KHL is too strong and Russians are getting pulled over.. It really hurts your team when some of your good picks choose not to play for you. It's like not having a pick at all..

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 12:34 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Agreed, this is true, but that is part of the skill of today's NHL.

Teams need to do their research on high value Europeans. I mean, imagine the laughter if what happened to Cherepanov (in his draft year, not later) had happened to say... Ovechkin.

People still need to draft Europeans and Russians if they're the best guy available. They just need to do their research and make sure the guy is committed to North America.
I'd still rather draft a Canadian boy with equal talent when taking into considerations the risks of the Russian choosing Russia instead. I'd be curious to know how many have take that route in recent years around the NHL, including some who have come to play in the NHL for a while (see Radulov for example). Teams can do all of the homework they can but it doesn't guarantee that the players won't change their mind. Here's hoping that our brass is taking notes and looks in our own backyard (which means in Canada folks, no French politics here).

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 01:46 AM
CraigDarby*

He's a write off.

CraigDarby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 01:57 AM
Mr. Hab

Perezhogin
Valentenko
Emelin

"NEXT!!"
"SUIVANT!!"

Boy did we ever get lucky with Markov, eh?!

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 02:00 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Perezhogin
Valentenko
Emelin

"NEXT!!"
"SUIVANT!!"

Trunev ?

I hope he comes over after the end of next year.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 02:16 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post

Trunev ?

Let the waiting begin!!
(that's what we HAB fans do! part of the job being a CH fan...).

Trunev...AHL next year? (2010).
I hope so...

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 06:16 AM
wedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsp View Post
You "saw" him...you mean figuratively I hope. How could he not expect to spend a stint playing in Hamilton (and no not for the Hamiton Coyotes) I mean the guy wasn't exactly a 1st pair d-man playing in Siberia. I am not convinced at all he can step in and play in Komisarek's shoes. He is taking the big money to forego the bigger money later. Gainey did the responsible thing.
I didn't say next year...
and when I say Komisarek's replacement, I mean a big physical presence. I'm not saying he will be as good as Komisarek. but in our future, we don't have defensemen like Komisarek. Emelin is the closest to that. So yeah, I was him as Komisarek's replacement.

Last edited by wedge: 06-09-2009 at 06:22 AM.
wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 07:16 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Perezhogin
Valentenko
Emelin

"NEXT!!"
"SUIVANT!!"

Not under Gainey's watch but the hard negotiations with russians kinda started with Buturlin. But then Grabovski came over. So some will, some won't, but if we can't do a better job in knowing, well either you pick some of them as a 7th rounder, or either you don't pick them all.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 07:18 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Trunev ?

The scariest part is that if you check in the latest import CHL drafts, the majority of the top 10 players chosen are coming over. He's probably one of the few high picks that didn't come. Then, he did state already that his goal was to be a regular for his KHL team. Now this year should be the year where he actually becomes a regular....but will it be as a 4th liner? If so, will his next goal be a regular....in the top 2 lines? We'll see about that.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 07:51 AM
Lilou
t-.-t

Why would he want to come to North America? He can stay in his home country, make a ton of money, play in front of his own fans, be near his family...whereas if he came to Montreal he would be blasted for not learning french, making rookie mistakes, etc etc. Good for him. Maybe when he is much older he'll be ready to come over.

Lilou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 08:47 AM
Marksman

Quote:
Perezhogin
Valentenko
Emelin

"NEXT!!"
"SUIVANT!!"

Quote:
Trunev ?

How about Sergei Kostitsyn, unless things start working out for him next season.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 08:48 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilou View Post
Why would he want to come to North America? He can stay in his home country, make a ton of money, play in front of his own fans, be near his family...whereas if he came to Montreal he would be blasted for not learning french, making rookie mistakes, etc etc. Good for him. Maybe when he is much older he'll be ready to come over.
Exactly. I don't understand all the anger directed at Emelin in this thread. Obviously the Habs weren't offering him a 1-way deal (but they can't under the Entry Level system anyway), so he stayed home and will make tons more money in the KHL.

He might not even be good enough to warrant a 1-way deal even if they were allowed, however, so I don't see how there's any real concern for us to attach to it other than to shrug our shoulders and move on. Seems like all sides made the right decisions, IMHO. And I don't think you can even fault the Habs for drafting him either. The way he came on as a teenager, his physical style and his WJC performances, those were all looking great for a 3rd rounder. There wasn't the same situation with Russia as there is now. It was obviously a good draft pick, good scouting judgement. Things haven't subsequently worked out, but that happens. No biggie. Lots of 3rd round picks don't even have the temporary glimmer of hope and potential attached to them that Emelin did for a while there.

Blind Gardien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 08:58 AM
TheCH*

No more drafting Russians!
With the emergence of the khl, they can make good money in their home country. They have no reason to come to the NHL anymore.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 09:00 AM
Teufelsdreck

No more Russians? Then the next Andrei Markov goes to the Bruins or the Flyers or whatever.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 09:00 AM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
No more wasted picks please. If a player hasn't decided to come to NA 100% I dont want him in the system. Draft more Canadians I am sick of this BS.

Well said!

I have noticed that, since Gainey has taken over, Habs have drafted only 2 Eastern European players in the first 3 rounds of the draft: A. Kostitsyn and Emelin!

This could be a coincidence - I'm hoping it's a policy!

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 09:05 AM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by [COLOR="Blue"
Teufelsdreck;19843214]No more Russians? Then the next Andrei Markov goes to the Bruins or the Flyers or whatever[/COLOR].

Works for me!
As a fan, I hope that Habs would only draft Eastern European players later (4th round and beyond) in the draft - unless they draft very early and have a shot at a really great (Ovechkin -type) player!

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 09:08 AM
Athlétique_Canadien

My avatar keeps telling my own personal story regarding Montreal. I guess I'm not changing it again anytime soon.

Athlétique_Canadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 09:11 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND Irish View Post
Well said!

I have noticed that, since Gainey has taken over, Habs have drafted only 2 Eastern European players in the first 3 rounds of the draft: A. Kostitsyn and Emelin!

This could be a coincidence - I'm hoping it's a policy!
Agreed. People seem to think that when picking those guys, there's no good alternative. It's not the case. When they're picked, there's an equal local talent who is picked right after. Like in life, at some point, the high risk high reward isn't worth the gamble as you're better playing it safe. For those who play poker, you gotta know when to fold!

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 09:19 AM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
No more Russians? Then the next Andrei Markov goes to the Bruins or the Flyers or whatever.
Well, neither of those teams have drafted single russian since 2006 and there are quite a few teams following that policy.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 09:25 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

im not sure why people harp on the russians.
do people count how many players from finland, sweden, czech, etc stay home as well?

i know its frustrating cause the habs got saddled with some russian players who just werent designed to play in the NHL. Its not like they signed with another NHL team, they just dont want to compete in the worlds best league.
That is the jist of it. I know alot of people have had a hard on for him for awhile, but he`s had his chances, he doesent wanna be here, and id rather not have him in that case.

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 09:29 AM
otto bond

I say good luck to him. He had a choice and he made that choice. May never come to the NHL. Look at Morozov, he made the right choice cause he wanted to be a hockey star and over there he is.
It certainly disappoint a lot of fan but that's life.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 09:39 AM
Habitants

well that sucks! would have like to see him here. surely they offered something?
guess he just prefer to stay over there.

time to run after some other D on the UFA market.

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 09:55 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
What a moron. He could've CLEARLY taken a look at our roster and said "Wow, I could make their NHL roster this year and make boatloads more in the NHL if I play to my potential. Oh well, guess I'll play 4th pairing and spend 80% of my time in the box in Russia."

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 10:40 AM
Montreal Typical

Emelin would be a fringe number 7 defenseman at best. As it stands right now, the guy is not NHL material and he knows it. There's no reason for him to come over.

You guys need to calm down.

Montreal Typical is offline   Reply With Quote