HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

You play GM for July 1st

Old
06-08-2009, 09:00 AM
echlfreak

vCash: 500
You play GM for July 1st

What would your lines be if you could make your own team within the cap???

Dumont-Arnott-Sullivan (3.5)
Erat-Legwand-Knuble (2.7)
O'Reilly-Wilson-Calder (1.5)
Jones-Smithson-Tootoo
Hornqvist-Belak

Weber-Suter
Hamhuis-Skrastins 1.5
Klein-Foster 2.0
Sultzer

Sully same money
Knuble takes Devos Money
Calder takes Fids and Nichols money
Foster/Skrastins takes Philstrom/Bonk and Zanons money

echlfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 09:17 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Screw that, make the moves during the draft. Nashville has a metric ****ton of picks and they should not draft them all. Call around the NHL for trades to pick up two forwards. ignore the Sully option and get the players you need. Teams will be dumping salary and the Preds can make the moves needed to fill their roster. If no trades can be made move up from 11 to 6 or 7 and pick up a forward for the team, could be Schenn, could be Schroder do what it takes to win. Trade Ellis for what you can. If Philly or Colorado is willing to reach and make a deal for him DO IT. Finally, stay in house for all the options for defenseman. This will be cheaper for the team ans Laasko and Franson should be good enough for 3rd line play.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 09:53 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Big fat NO on Calder. He is, as Kings fans said during the season, "teh suck." Also a no on Foster at that price. He likely won't make a whole lot more than what he got on his last contract. Pihlström is an RFA, Trotz loves him, and you can't coach speed. He'll be back for virtually no money. Ward will likely be back unless he goes on an ego trip, but he never really struck me as that kind of guy. As an alternative, I'd love to see us add Fedotenko or, less ideally, Chad LaRose.

Have no problem with Knuble or Skrastins, but I think we should go for something a bit longer-term up front, considering our complete lack of winger prospects. Erik Cole would be my ideal option, but I don't know how much he would cost. I also think we'll sign a 7th defenseman, like Kukkonen, Walker, or maybe even Klee or Semenov, to rotate with Klein and Sulzer. Semenov would be perfect for the role: cheap, gargantuan, likes to hit people, good enough to warrant 15-17 minutes a night.

I also wonder what we'll do with that extra forward spot: will Poile leave it open, or sign some cheap role player like Marty Reasoner to bump Smithson down the depth chart? Or will Spaling be ready to handle a checking role?

There's also the matter of what to do with Ellis. Poile has always been about maximizing utility, so he'll likely look to trade Ellis to bolster a position of weakness, or simply to free up the cash.

With all that in mind, I would have no problem with a lineup like this:

Sullivan*-Arnott-Dumont
Erat-Legwand-Knuble/Cole/Antropov (the latter is the most ideal, but also the least likely)
Jones-Wilson/O'Reilly-Ward/Fedotenko/LaRose/Hörnqvist (if he's ready)
Pihlström-Spaling-Tootoo
Belak, Smithson

Weber-Suter
Hamhuis-Skrastins
Klein-Sulzer
Semenov

Rinne
Dekanich

The drawback to this is that it puts all our chips into the free agent market values taking a dip this year, but that's what you get when you've drafted wingers (and forwards in general) as poorly as we have.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 10:49 AM
lstcyr

It also puts a lot of hope on two goaltenders with a total of less than a year's NHL experience.

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 06:37 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

AT this point Zanon is better than Skrastins.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 06:53 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
It also puts a lot of hope on two goaltenders with a total of less than a year's NHL experience.
Like we haven't done it before?

I was mulling over the idea of also re-signing Bonk as a safety net. If Wilson, Spaling, and/or O'Reilly don't prove themselves ready for the NHL, Trotz has a steady option that he's famiiar with and can trust to center the third line. Plus, if one of our young center prospects proves ready for the NHL, then Bonk can center the fourth line just as effectively, and Smithson can ride pine. Wouldn't that be wonderful?

Old
06-09-2009, 07:33 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Like we haven't done it before?

I was mulling over the idea of also re-signing Bonk as a safety net. If Wilson, Spaling, and/or O'Reilly don't prove themselves ready for the NHL, Trotz has a steady option that he's famiiar with and can trust to center the third line. Plus, if one of our young center prospects proves ready for the NHL, then Bonk can center the fourth line just as effectively, and Smithson can ride pine. Wouldn't that be wonderful?
Why couldn't the Preds cycle Santorelli, O'Reilly, and Wilson in the 3rd and 4th center spots to save money and develop them?

Old
06-09-2009, 07:40 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Why couldn't the Preds cycle Santorelli, O'Reilly, and Wilson in the 3rd and 4th center spots to save money and develop them?
Because the three of them would cost as much money as Bonk would, and they're better off developmentally in Milwaukee, where they won't get shuffled around constantly.

Furthermore, Santorelli probably doesn't have a future as a centerman at the NHL level. He needs to move to the wing.

Old
06-09-2009, 11:49 AM
echlfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Yeah but Skrastins is cheaper

echlfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 11:59 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Because the three of them would cost as much money as Bonk would, and they're better off developmentally in Milwaukee, where they won't get shuffled around constantly.

Furthermore, Santorelli probably doesn't have a future as a centerman at the NHL level. He needs to move to the wing.
Which wouldn't be too bad because you could slide him to the wing when Wilson get's some games under his belt.

Old
06-09-2009, 12:37 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Stop it, you're scaring the children... and me.

We need a veteran defender back there who can hold down a spot for 1-2 years while our prospects develop, and our options are limited.

Mattias Ohlund
Ken Klee
Ossi Vaananen
Paul Mara
Jaroslav Spacek

Ohlund's too slow, Spacek's too expensive, and Mara hasn't played 20 minutes a night since 2006.

Vaananen would probably cost us about $1.2M and played very well for Philadelphia this year (although they stopped playing him in early February for some reason). Klee is closing in on 1,000 games, and it would be cool to have that happen in a Predators uniform, but he's slowing down, and is more of a 6th-7th defenseman than a 4th defenseman at this point in his career.

Of course, the shrewd move would be to sign Vaananen AND Klee, put Ossi in at the #4 spot and let Klee rotate with Sulzer and Klein when a greater physical presence is needed, filling two holes for the price of one.

Old
06-09-2009, 12:56 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
I think Vaananen would be a good option for us actually.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 12:57 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Ossi is pretty slow as well. He is a number 5/6 at best. He played well in Philly, but I have a hard time seeing him fit in here in Nashville. He is basically a less stupid less physical Vishnevski, and we all saw how that worked out.

06-09-2009, 01:00 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Man, I completly forgot we even had Vishvevski .

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 01:06 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Which wouldn't be too bad because you could slide him to the wing when Wilson get's some games under his belt.
But there's still the whole "inability to produce" thing to deal with, as well as the "Santorelli is not ready for the NHL" thing.

Old
06-09-2009, 04:22 PM
skipper49

Heh BFC will you also be for trading Rinne next season when Poile brings up Pickard and throws him into games against Edmonton, Atlanta and St.Louis??? Some of you Nashville fans are about as fickle as Montreal fans...which position(s) in hockey do you really understand?

skipper49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 04:24 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Ossi is pretty slow as well. He is a number 5/6 at best. He played well in Philly, but I have a hard time seeing him fit in here in Nashville. He is basically a less stupid less physical Vishnevski, and we all saw how that worked out.
Oh, you just HAD to bring De Vries into this.

Old
06-09-2009, 04:42 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper49 View Post
Heh BFC will you also be for trading Rinne next season when Poile brings up Pickard and throws him into games against Edmonton, Atlanta and St.Louis??? Some of you Nashville fans are about as fickle as Montreal fans...which position(s) in hockey do you really understand?
I have a full understanding of the doggy style position.

Poile and Trotz have been pimping Rinne as the future of the Nashville Predators in net since he got here in 2005. He's not about to let a 20-year-old Pickard usurp his guy after less than a year on the job. He'll make every effort to keep Rinne long-term, and Pickard will be his replacement some years down the road.

The way it was set up last season was with Ellis being the goalie of the present, and Rinne being the goalie of the future. Well, the future has become the present, and lo and behold, Rinne is our goalie. Unless he royally tanks for some completely unforeseeable reason, he's going to be in that position most likely until I graduate from college. And to answer the question you're probably going to retort with, the difference between this year and last year is that we knew going in that Ellis was not a long-term solution in net, and that he would simply keep the seat warm for Rinne, just as Mason was planned to have done. Rinne is not keeping the seat warm for anybody: he is the monarch for which the stewards hath preserved the throne, and he shalt reigneth over his glorious kingdom with vigilance and benevolence, and he shall be known throughout the land as The Great Pekka. And someday, many years the future, he shall be succeeded by The Great Pickard, but not before he has become ripe for the throne.

But, by all means, continue living with your head plunged in the sand. Watch out for parasites, though.

Old
06-09-2009, 04:44 PM
Webersmashpuck

vCash: 1088
I would of course like Sully and Ward back. And I know ill take flak but IF deVries would take a huge paycut down to 750k-1m a year I would have him be our 6/7th d-man. For free agents I would sign Fedenteko and have him and Ward battle it out for a spot on the 2nd line and the other one take the 3rd line.

Sully - Arnott - Dumont
Ward - Legwand - Erat
Fedetenko - Wilson - Jones
Tootoo - Smithson - Pihlstrom
Belak

Weber - Suter
Hamhuis - Klein
Franson - Sulzer
deVries

We manage to keep the same level of defense as last year and our bottom 2 lines offense is upgraded and no huge changes in chemistry.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 04:45 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper49 View Post
I'm thinking cost benifit analysis. I like Rinne a lot even if he DID have a soph slump. If I can improve a weakness at forward with a strength in depth I will.

Old
06-09-2009, 05:33 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Heatly wants out of Ott any chance Polie pulls that off????

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 06:47 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
Heatly wants out of Ott any chance Polie pulls that off????
quit living in la-la land

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 07:46 PM
Jackie Treehorn

would you guys be interested in a Heatley for Weber or a Heatley for Hamhuis and Erat?

Jackie Treehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 09:45 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay54 View Post
would you guys be interested in a Heatley for Weber or a Heatley for Hamhuis and Erat?
This, but it isn't happening

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 10:33 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I could stomach a pretty hefty package for Heatley...and if it was done right, we could do so without adding all that much salary. Basically anyone not named Weber would be fine by me.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote