HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

This Leblanc Obsession

Old
06-07-2009, 07:21 AM
Stubbs88

vCash: 500
I'm still holding off hope that Glennie is available 18, I think this kid will be something special, but if he's not and LeBlanc is the BPA then go for it. Who cares where he was born. The kid is talented and could have a very promising career.

Stubbs88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 08:02 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Glennie reminds me of Thomas Vanek, and Drew Shore reminds me of a flashy Mike Richards. Leblanc reminds me of (????) I can't think of who he reminds me of. Apparently hes the full package though.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 08:19 AM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredman View Post
Brule ? I don't remember anything about this. What I remember is that he was mostly considered as the guy who would have been drafted just after Crosby. The vast majority of people thought he wouldn't be available when it would be the time to make our pick. And then, we know the story, Price was drafted and Brule could have been our pick. The fans and medias were then upset we drafted Price. From what I remember, people mostly wanted Kopitar or Bourdon.

As for Leblanc, I've never seen him play so it's hard to judge if he would be a good pick or not based only scouting report. Though, the team seems to like him according to the answers given by Timmins.
Actually Brule was consistently mentioned as the guy to pick provided Ryan was gone. Pouliot was mentioned as well. Kopitar was in the mix but not tabbed by most as the guy for us to pick until later. Most folks were expecting Brule though.

Kopitar while mentioned by many was more universally hailed after doing well later. While an intriguing possibility, he was a question mark of sorts which is probably why he went 11th after guys like Brule, Skille, Setoguchi, Brian Lee and Bourdon in spots 6 to 10

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 09:49 AM
deandebean

I don't know how he looked this season, but I saw the kid play at the midget AAA level. He was, far and away, the best player on the ice. In fact, if not for him (his coach overused him a lot), the LSL Lions would have been a dump of a club. The kid was a machine of a goal scorer. If I recall, he had goal totals close to the league's records.

But, like I said, I don't know how he looked this season.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 09:50 AM
deandebean

some compare him to Simon Gagné. Others to the good Joe Juneau of the early 90's. I say more Gagné, because he has a physical edge to him.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 10:12 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
Kopitar while mentioned by many was more universally hailed after doing well later. While an intriguing possibility, he was a question mark of sorts which is probably why he went 11th after guys like Brule, Skille, Setoguchi, Brian Lee and Bourdon in spots 6 to 10
IIRC, Kopitar question mark was that he came from a non traditional hockey nation, and this bothered some peoples including many habs fans who had the Andrei Kostitsyn pick still in mind. One thing for sure, he wasn't considered a top-5 picks like Brule, Pouliot and Ryan.

As for Leblanc, I wouldn't use the label "obsession" with him, especially in comparison to Esposito. First of all, Esposito had huge question marks while pretty much everyone seems comfortable with Leblanc skill set - the question isn't if he's a good pick or not, but more if he's the best pick we can do. Second, Leblanc would have to drop a bit for the habs to pick him, so he could very well be the BPA, while drafting Esposito at 10th (IRCC) was considering a huge reach (and he ended up dropping to the late first round).

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 10:59 AM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
IIRC, Kopitar question mark was that he came from a non traditional hockey nation, and this bothered some peoples including many habs fans who had the Andrei Kostitsyn pick still in mind. One thing for sure, he wasn't considered a top-5 picks like Brule, Pouliot and Ryan.

As for Leblanc, I wouldn't use the label "obsession" with him, especially in comparison to Esposito. First of all, Esposito had huge question marks while pretty much everyone seems comfortable with Leblanc skill set - the question isn't if he's a good pick or not, but more if he's the best pick we can do. Second, Leblanc would have to drop a bit for the habs to pick him, so he could very well be the BPA, while drafting Esposito at 10th (IRCC) was considering a huge reach (and he ended up dropping to the late first round).
Actually, the Habs selected McDonagh at #12, which was still too high for Esposito.

I hope the Habs are able to draft Leblanc because he seems like a very good player. However, I would be peeved if Leblanc is already gone and the Habs go into autopilot mode and settle for the next French name on the list.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 06:49 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
Actually, the Habs selected McDonagh at #12, which was still too high for Esposito.

I hope the Habs are able to draft Leblanc because he seems like a very good player. However, I would be peeved if Leblanc is already gone and the Habs go into autopilot mode and settle for the next French name on the list.
That would have been a good phylosophy when we passed over Perron, though! The autopilot style would have been great for the Habs in that case.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 07:26 AM
Showtime

i saw leblanc plays when he was MAAA and this guy is a complete hockey player. He's a Simon Gagné kind of guy. He's going to Harvard, he's a A++++++ kind of guy.

I think we should pick him.

And 3 guys that we should take a good look at are: Jordan Caron, Philippe Paradis and David Gilbert(sleeper he will be good).

Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 07:52 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

I don't have an opinion on Leblanc as a prospect. I've never seen him. Based on all the reading I've done, my gut has no real reaction to him either... it suspects that maybe at #18 we can still hope a player that it actually has seens and knows it likes will fall through to us. But it sure would be fun if we did pick Leblanc and he did turn out to be a front line player for us one day. The draft day hype alone would be fun. Fun is good.

And it would take some heat off the organization if they did take him. This season I think we saw that the heat might actually make a difference in some respects. So if you're really going to try to look at the big picture, hey, maybe there's an off-ice factor in his selection that actually would help the team. Really help. Independent of the evaluation of him as a hockey player.

I'm confident enough of our scouting staff that I know they wouldn't reach for him purely on the PR factors if there was somebody available who they thought was clearly better. But in the event of a tie in player evaluations, or even a near-tie with error bars overlapping, I'd be happy enough to see them pick Leblanc, for the fun factor.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 09:27 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
That would have been a good phylosophy when we passed over Perron, though! The autopilot style would have been great for the Habs in that case.
Even a broken clock shows the right time twice a day.

Just for fun, try to redo the habs draft in the past 10 years using this rule (in other words, pretend the habs selected the next-available Q player for their first round pick).

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 09:31 AM
WeThreeKings
Sept 19th

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:

Just for fun, try to redo the habs draft in the past 10 years using this rule (in other words, pretend the habs selected the next-available Q player for their first round pick).
If we would've picked Perron, we wouldn't have Pacioretty. I'm much happier with Pacioretty. We NEED a guy like Pacioretty, while we already have enough guys like Perron.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 11:16 AM
Hermamoud

Quote:

In another thread, a user did this experiment for a few of the players that the Canadiens drafted vs the next player from the QMJHL that were drafted:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roke View Post
I'll do his homework for him since he probably won't, and I'm waiting to go out tonight. Looking only at the 30 picks after the players named, as that is approximately one round and the Habs would, in theory, have the opportunity to nab a player after 30 or so picks with a pick of their own.

Sergei Kostitsyn (200th overall)
No QMJHL players taken after

Pavel Valentenko (139th overall)
142-Maxime Frechette
148-Olivier Magnan
153-Stephane Chaput
160-Andrew Macdonald

Alexei Yemelin (84th overall)
107-Nick Figere
114-Patrick Bordeleau

Jaroslav Halak (271st overall)
281-Jean-Michel Bolduc
286-Zbynek Hrdel

Matt D'Agostini (190th Overall)'
192- Nicolas Blnchard
194- Jean-Philipp Paquet
197 - Jean-Philippe Levasseur

Gregory Stewart (246th overall):
247-NYI Jonathan Paiement
252-TOR Jan Steber
276 NYI Sylvain Michaud

Mikhail Grabovski (150th overall)
161 Jean-Claude Sawyer
171- Frederik Cabana
173- Adam Pardy
-------
181- Loic Lacasse

It's really too early to judge anything but the Halak draft, as it's been over 5 years since, but while Grabovski, Stewart, D'Agostini, Halak, and Kostitsyn have all played NHL games, none of those QMJHL players have according to the draft sheets at hockeydb.

Hermamoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 12:04 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I don't have an opinion on Leblanc as a prospect. I've never seen him. Based on all the reading I've done, my gut has no real reaction to him either... it suspects that maybe at #18 we can still hope a player that it actually has seens and knows it likes will fall through to us. But it sure would be fun if we did pick Leblanc and he did turn out to be a front line player for us one day. The draft day hype alone would be fun. Fun is good.

And it would take some heat off the organization if they did take him. This season I think we saw that the heat might actually make a difference in some respects. So if you're really going to try to look at the big picture, hey, maybe there's an off-ice factor in his selection that actually would help the team. Really help. Independent of the evaluation of him as a hockey player.

I'm confident enough of our scouting staff that I know they wouldn't reach for him purely on the PR factors if there was somebody available who they thought was clearly better. But in the event of a tie in player evaluations, or even a near-tie with error bars overlapping, I'd be happy enough to see them pick Leblanc, for the fun factor.
The Habs are pinched between a rock and a hard place. The draft is in Montreal this year. At number 18, and even if Desprez, Kulikov and Leblanc are already taken, they will have to find awesome reasons not to draft a Jordan Caron or Roussel.

To save the day, they might trade this draft pick (+ some other players) for a star player. A real star player.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 12:32 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
The draft is in Montreal this year. At number 18, and even if Desprez, Kulikov and Leblanc are already taken, they will have to find awesome reasons not to draft a Jordan Caron or Roussel.
Current management's track record suggests that they will pick the best player available, the media will roast them for not picking the local product, and the end results will mostly vindicate the management's decision.

I doubt the draft being in Montreal is a factor. If there's one great quality this management team has, it's that they do not bow to media pressure, especially not in drafting.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 01:28 PM
vokiel
Nothing blind

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Current management's track record suggests that they will pick the best player available, the media will roast them for not picking the local product, and the end results will mostly vindicate the management's decision.

I doubt the draft being in Montreal is a factor. If there's one great quality this management team has, it's that they do not bow to media pressure, especially not in drafting.
Really?

Current board records suggest that best player available is relative to the person who makes the pick and that most of the time, BPA is used as an excuse to justify a questionable pick. When it is close enough to the BPA, nobody mentions it.

Honestly they'll pick whoever they like, regardless of whether it is the BPA and I hope they learned from past mistakes and don't use that excuse in front of the press. There's a right way to manage media interactions and there's a wrong way to do it.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 01:37 PM
Darz

I think the obsession with Leblanc, is the fact that he could be one of those home run type picks.

He's the type of player that two years from now, all the other team that passed om him were wondering how they missed out, or in two years he could be off everyone's radar. The thought of getting one of those type players (and it doesn't hurt that he is French) with the number 18 pick could be exciting.

I have no preference to where our picks are born ....EVER, but I have to abmit, he is one of the players that I would be excited to see the habs pick at #18, along with Chris Kreider, Peter Holland and Jordan Caron (and Simon Despres, if he slips than far).

06-08-2009, 03:18 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
Current board records suggest that best player available is relative to the person who makes the pick and that most of the time, BPA is used as an excuse to justify a questionable pick. When it is close enough to the BPA, nobody mentions it.
All right, I'll rephrase that: they'll pick whoever they feel is the best player available -- and more than likely, it will be a good-to-excellent if unspectacular selection.

I don't feel that the current draft management (ie. Timmins) has to justify itself in front of the media or anyone. His success rate is quite excellent.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 09:27 AM
CanadienErrant*

Yesterday nite on La Zone, Villeneuve had 3 young guys waiting for the draft: Leblanc, Chiasson and Gélinas (from Lewiston). I was really impressed by Leblanc's composure and maturity (the two others were not bad either). These guys are not even 18 yet. Chiasson and Gelinas are huge (6'3)

Last edited by CanadienErrant*: 06-09-2009 at 09:38 AM.
Old
06-09-2009, 09:44 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
Honestly they'll pick whoever they like, regardless of whether it is the BPA and I hope they learned from past mistakes and don't use that excuse in front of the press. There's a right way to manage media interactions and there's a wrong way to do it.
It's not an excuse...it's a fact...at least for them. There is no such thing as a clear cut BPA. Each teams has their own list of BPA so if they pick the guy they felt was the BPA, so be it. They are not lying...are they always right? Of course not, but on draft day, they feel like they are right.

And you can't judge as a fan if they took the BPA. Bottom line is the term best player available is different for everyone...but you still can use it because it's not a wrong term.

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 10:05 AM
Talent Analyst

Is Leblanc a center? If he is a center, will he does a Higgins and play at the wings?

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 10:17 AM
gillyguzzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Yesterday nite on La Zone, Villeneuve had 3 young guys waiting for the draft: Leblanc, Chiasson and Gélinas (from Lewiston). I was really impressed by Leblanc's composure and maturity (the two others were not bad either). These guys are not even 18 yet. Chiasson and Gelinas are huge (6'3)
I saw it too and was also impressed with all three, especially Leblanc... very mature and composed.

That said, I fear Gainey will not draft Leblanc even if they like him and have him pegged at #18 on their list. My reasoning is that the draft never goes as predicted and some players, that the Habs may have ranked in the top 10, may slip down and be available at the #18 spot.

It's possible that they have Kadri or Kassian or Moore or Kulikov or Ellis or another stud rated around #10 or better and this player slips all the way down to #18. What does Gainey do then? Draft the Kassian or Leblanc? The answer's pretty clear unless the Habs actually do have Leblanc rated way higher than the "experts" have him.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 10:28 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyguzzler View Post
I saw it too and was also impressed with all three, especially Leblanc... very mature and composed.

That said, I fear Gainey will not draft Leblanc even if they like him and have him pegged at #18 on their list. My reasoning is that the draft never goes as predicted and some players, that the Habs may have ranked in the top 10, may slip down and be available at the #18 spot.

It's possible that they have Kadri or Kassian or Moore or Kulikov or Ellis or another stud rated around #10 or better and this player slips all the way down to #18. What does Gainey do then? Draft the Kassian or Leblanc? The answer's pretty clear unless the Habs actually do have Leblanc rated way higher than the "experts" have him.
We dunno. But They probably know a lot about Leblanc who was playing with Kristo all year long in Omaha. The Habs need some forwards now, especially at center, with some offensive skills.

Old
06-09-2009, 10:29 AM
Le depisteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
Glennie reminds me of Thomas Vanek, and Drew Shore reminds me of a flashy Mike Richards. Leblanc reminds me of (????) I can't think of who he reminds me of. Apparently hes the full package though.
Patrice Bergeron

Le depisteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 10:33 AM
CraigDarby*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
I think the obsession with Leblanc, is the fact that he could be one of those home run type picks.

He's the type of player that two years from now, all the other team that passed om him were wondering how they missed out, or in two years he could be off everyone's radar. The thought of getting one of those type players (and it doesn't hurt that he is French) with the number 18 pick could be exciting.
I see it to be quite the opposite, actually. Leblanc seems like a future 2nd-3rd line player. His coach did not hesitate to point out that teammate and MTL draft pick Danny Kristo is the more talented player between the two, with Leblanc getting the edge in the work ethic category. Yes Kristo was picked in 2008 and Leblanc is 2009 eligible, but there's only 6 months separating the two in age. Anyways I think it's time to go for talent over work ethic and determination. Even with his supposed great work ethic, he posted average numbers at the combine and I find his skating to be a bit iffy.

I also don't like that he's heading to Harvard next year. As ridiculous as that statement may sound, we're looking for hockey players here, not Rhodes Scholars. Higgins tore that division up and the level of competition is definitely a notch below many of the other NCAA divisions.

CraigDarby* is offline   Reply With Quote