HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Islespointblank: Isles looking to package 26th and 37th for move up

Old
06-09-2009, 10:47 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Islespointblank: Isles looking to package 26th and 37th for move up

Not exactly news, but a good read and a believable analysis:

http://www.islanderspointblank.com/2009/06/up/

The most likely scenario involves Garth Snow packaging the 26th overall selection plus the 37th pick acquired from Toronto last summer at the draft. If Snow finds another GM willing to fall back for an early second-rounder, the Islanders could move up to the 18-20 range. To ascend any further, it would cost more picks - probably more than the Islanders will pay.

Bank on the Islanders being very reluctant to give up the 31st overall slot. That’s the first pick of the second round and, more importantly, the first pick on Saturday morning. To have all Friday night to meet into the late hours and have their choice of every prospect remaining is like candy to boss Ryan Jankowski and his team of scouts. Teams love that slot and are traditionally hesitant to give it up.

Botta is hinting at something I've suspected for a while - the Isles draft list is (sigh) different from most other teams. They have the same top three to five as everybody else, but also have some reaches in their top 10 that they expect to be available later in the draft. That has been their MO for the last few years, so not exactly a big surprise.

06-09-2009, 10:53 AM
sureloss

vCash: 50
Given his past history this is a deal I can see Darryl Sutter doing.

Flames don't have a 2nd round pick in this year's draft

sureloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 10:55 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5872
The Flyers may listen at 21. We lack draft picks, despite the rumors that have yet to be dreamt up that we're going to trade all these guys to move up in the draft.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 10:57 AM
NYR Viper

Rangers would definitley be interested in moving down for the 26th and 31st depending on is someone falls they are very interested in. They pick at 19. I think a player like Morin and a player like Budish would fit in well with the Rangerorganization at 26 and 31.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 10:57 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Botta is saying the Isles want to get into the 18 - 20 range, although I personally think a drop from 26 to 21 could be worth a 2nd (if there is a specific player the Isles want).

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 10:58 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

If Montréal feels their player will fall enough they might do that to get a 2nd round pick as well.

Though, a good centre projected to go higher may fall to them.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 11:01 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Rangers would definitley be interested in moving down for the 26th and 31st depending on is someone falls they are very interested in. They pick at 19. I think a player like Morin and a player like Budish would fit in well with the Rangerorganization at 26 and 31.

1) According to Botta, Isles are not willing to move the 31st.

2) I know it is just picks, but the Fishsticks and Ranger$ have never hooked up for a trade of substantial assets, and I don't expect that to happen this year. Ranger$ are not a player in this situation, IMO.

Old
06-09-2009, 11:06 AM
speeds

Too early to guess, but CAL seems as likely as anyone.

They have a first this year (#20), no 2nd, and no 1st or 2nd next year.

20 for 26 and 37 seems fairly reasonable, but I suppose it depends on the lists both teams have, other offers, etc.

speeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 11:29 AM
Fozz

Depending who's left on the board, I could see the Habs being all over this and deal their 18th pick for those 2...

Last edited by Fozz: 06-09-2009 at 11:42 AM.
Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 11:33 AM
HackandLube

Sutter is likely to do it - he always does this. He feels early 2nd rounders are as good as late 1st rounders. He often moves back a few picks to get one or two extra ones in the later rounds.

When they drafted Backlund, Sutter moved back a few spots (Flames originally were in the draft spot for Esposito like 18th or something and moved to 22 or something) to get an extra 3rd rounder IIRC.

HackandLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 11:37 AM
Dan-o16

Something like this almost has to happen in a "deep" draft. Some other team wants to fill out an extra need for organizational depth, Isles have more picks than attention they can spend developing prospects. So extra picks are worth more to other teams than it is to them.

So, we could see a simple move up in the draft. Or we could see a larger trade involving roster players. I don't know how anybody could have any idea what specifically will happen, because it depends on how the selections go.

But I'd say that there's a good 85% chance that the Isles will trade at least one 2nd round pick.

At the very least, they'd be foolish not to attempt to move picks for higher quality 2010 picks (i.e. 2nd and 3rd for a '10 first, etc.>

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 11:40 AM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

I'm sure there are a lot of precedents for this. The Blues in '06 traded pick 30 and 77 to move up to 25 and get Berglund. So 26th and 37th should get the Isles up there pretty good, especially if the management team making the deal feels their guy will fall to them at 26.

TheOrganist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 11:42 AM
X0ssbar

As other CBJ fans have metioned... I wouldn't rule out the Jackets being interested in moving down from the 16th overall.

Not sure if Howson would do it for the 37th pick but the Jackets currently do not have a 2nd rounder so one would think he'd be interested.

I think it will all depend on who is on the board at 16 from both an Islanders and Jackets perspective. If its someone the Islanders desperately want then maybe the 31st gets tables. If its someone the Jackets desperately want then I would assume they just make the pick.

Islanders sure are gonna make this draft an interesting one!

X0ssbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 11:44 AM
Draftman

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds View Post
Too early to guess, but CAL seems as likely as anyone.

They have a first this year (#20), no 2nd, and no 1st or 2nd next year.

20 for 26 and 37 seems fairly reasonable, but I suppose it depends on the lists both teams have, other offers, etc.
Seems like an overpayment to me. I would think that 26 and 37 would move a team up about 10 spots. Personally I would keep those picks since there will be several players available who should be as good as anyone at 20 and above.

Draftman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 11:44 AM

Trade with the Habs at 18th. We don't have a 2nd rounder. Perfect for both teams.

Deal.

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 11:45 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Depending who's left on the board, I could see the Habs being all over this and deal their 18's pick for those 2...
I think this will be more of a "McDonagh steal" year for the Habs than a "Fischer drop back" year. They'll be itching to pick some players they have rated high and be happy to find out one is still left at #18. Hopefully not, I'd like to see them get two picks too. But if they make a trade, then I'll be surprised if it's a trade down. Surprise me, Bob!

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 11:46 AM
Lunatik*

as a couple have pointed out this is right up the Flames alley... Sutter regularly trades down and they hold the 20th pick

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 11:49 AM
irocdu

remember when the adam graves to the isles trade was all but set in stone? It just fell through at the last second. I forget who we were going to get back in return, but it was decent.

But other than that? No many trades done between the rangers and the islanders

irocdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 11:52 AM
Trottier
Very Random

Deals like this don't happen until draft day.

At this point, you are dealing on pure spec. Too risky.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 11:56 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by irocdu View Post
remember when the adam graves to the isles trade was all but set in stone? It just fell through at the last second. I forget who we were going to get back in return, but it was decent.

But other than that? No many trades done between the rangers and the islanders

I don't remember an Adam Graves deal, but there was that Ziggy Palffy stuff. And, I think a larger part of the reason it fell through was the bitterness between the two teams. Isles wouldn't make that deal without a big cash payment from the Rangers, partially because our ownership group resented the Rangers' flexing of their financial muscle.

Old
06-09-2009, 11:57 AM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Depending who's left on the board, I could see the Habs being all over this and deal their 18th pick for those 2...
I sure hope so. Habs need to add a pick.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MNWild1096

Wild GM Fletcher said they he would be looking to make some drafts come draft day...Dont be surprised at all to see the Wild involved in something like this. The draft 12th...so it would be pretty steep to trade 12 for 26 and 37, however the Wild desperately need depth. I could see something like 12 for 26 and 37 and prospect....or 12 plus Harding for 26, 37 and Hunter....I really think the Isles could use a good backup goalie as DP is always hurt. Bouchard would work well in Long Island but im not very familiar with the Isles players so besides the picks coming back I dont know what player would be added in

MNWild1096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Teamcanada

I really hope the Oilers at 10 really look at moving back to take 2 lower 1st's or high 2nd's. I rather have Ferraro & Tatar than anyone at the 10 position.

Teamcanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 11:59 AM
4thliner*

In this draft there is

1 and 2

3 to 9 (Kane and Schenn leading the way)

10 to 15

Anything below that is just a punch of good prospects with little to chose from till rounds 2 and maybe 3. So unless Snow can get into that top 10-15 by moving the 26 and two high 2nd round picks to do it, there is no point. I am guessing if Snow draft Hedman 1st overall he wants to go after a high skill blue chip forward in the early teens, a guy like Kadri. Maybe if he is lucky Schroeder, but that aint gonna happen cuz I belive he will go top 10. If Kadri is gone, then guys like Scott Glennie, Kassian, Carter Ashton all quality forwards should still be available.

If he draft Tavares, well I think he will be targeting dman like Ryan Ellis and John Moore with that pick, but I think 18-20 aint gonna cut it for all the players I mentioned. You gotta move up to the top 15 to play ball.

4thliner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 12:02 PM
Askel

Canucks who has basicly no prospect depth and pick 22 will probably be interested as well.

Askel is offline   Reply With Quote