HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Islespointblank: Isles looking to package 26th and 37th for move up

Old
06-09-2009, 12:14 PM
speeds

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draftman View Post
Seems like an overpayment to me. I would think that 26 and 37 would move a team up about 10 spots. Personally I would keep those picks since there will be several players available who should be as good as anyone at 20 and above.
Maybe. It depends where teams perceive the tiers to be, how much they want a particular player, etc.

Last year ANA was able to trade 12 for 17 and 28. That seems, roughly, on par with 20 for 26 and 37.

They also made another trade and were able to move from 28 to 35 and 39.

speeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 12:18 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNWild1096 View Post
Wild GM Fletcher said they he would be looking to make some drafts come draft day...Dont be surprised at all to see the Wild involved in something like this. The draft 12th...so it would be pretty steep to trade 12 for 26 and 37, however the Wild desperately need depth.
Like others have noted, Calgary makes a lot of sense given that they have to give a first either this year or next, and they don't have a second this year and next.

But Minnesota makes some sense as well since they don't pick again until round 4. If Schroeder gets snatched up, I could see Minnesota dropping a couple spots to recoup a 2nd/3rd rounder. And then from that spot, trade down to 26 and 37. This would possibly put them in line for Nick Leddy and Zach Budish......or whichever non-Minnesotans float their fancy.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 12:29 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

FYI-Isles pick #s

Here's what the Isles have, pick wise.
Round 1 - Pick 1
Round 1 - Pick 26
Round 2 - Pick 1 - 31 overall
Round 2 - Pick 7 - 37 overall
Round 2 - Pick 26 - 56 overall
Round 3 - Pick 1 - 62 overall
Round 3 - Pick 29 or 30 - 90 or 91 overall (Depends on the Pens)
Round 4 - Pick 1 - 92 overall
Round 5 - Pick 1 - 121 overall
Round 6 - Pick 1 - 151 overall
Round 7 - Pick 1 - 181 overall

11 picks.
As of now, 5% of the players picked in the draft will be Islanders.

A team with only their picks will have 3.3333% of the players picked in the draft.

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 12:31 PM
Jame
Dream '16

The Sabres don't have a 2nd round pick. And they need to dump salary to address other needs

13th and Hecht for 26, 37, and Park

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 12:33 PM
topheavyhookjaw

Canucks would love to add an extra pick I'd imagine;

22nd for 31st and 37th

I know it said they don't want to move the 31st, but if it meant keeping the 26th I'm sure they would. If they were so inclined they could even package the 22nd and 26th to move up from there.

topheavyhookjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 12:40 PM
Pure Slaughter Value

Send a message via AIM to Pure Slaughter Value
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Invisible Poster View Post
Here's what the Isles have, pick wise.
Round 1 - Pick 1
Round 1 - Pick 26
Round 2 - Pick 1 - 31 overall
Round 2 - Pick 7 - 37 overall
Round 2 - Pick 26 - 56 overall
Round 3 - Pick 1 - 62 overall
Round 3 - Pick 29 or 30 - 90 or 91 overall (Depends on the Pens)
Round 4 - Pick 1 - 92 overall
Round 5 - Pick 1 - 121 overall
Round 6 - Pick 1 - 151 overall
Round 7 - Pick 1 - 181 overall

11 picks.
As of now, 5% of the players picked in the draft will be Islanders.

A team with only their picks will have 3.3333% of the players picked in the draft.
Forgot where, but I thought the Leaf's 2nd rounder moves down a notch because of Cherapenov's (spelling>) death and the Rangers compensation?

On edit: Checked, Rangers got the 47th pick as compensation, not the 37th.

Nothing to read here, move along.

Last edited by Pure Slaughter Value: 06-09-2009 at 12:51 PM.
Pure Slaughter Value is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 12:50 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
I could see the Habs biting. The lack of second round pick seems too weird.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 01:17 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
I don't remember an Adam Graves deal, but there was that Ziggy Palffy stuff. And, I think a larger part of the reason it fell through was the bitterness between the two teams. Isles wouldn't make that deal without a big cash payment from the Rangers, partially because our ownership group resented the Rangers' flexing of their financial muscle.
I think Bettman nixed it because there was the huge cash payment and some business about putting the Isles on MSG x amount of games. I might be remembering it incorrectly but it seems familiar because Bettman didn't like the potential precedent with money and tv being mixed into trades.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 01:22 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
I think Bettman nixed it because there was the huge cash payment and some business about putting the Isles on MSG x amount of games. I might be remembering it incorrectly but it seems familiar because Bettman didn't like the potential precedent with money and tv being mixed into trades.

The Isles demanded the cash from the Ranger$ and not from the Kings . I think that had a lot to do with he animosity between the teams.

06-09-2009, 01:23 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by topheavyhookjaw View Post
Canucks would love to add an extra pick I'd imagine;

22nd for 31st and 37th

I know it said they don't want to move the 31st, but if it meant keeping the 26th I'm sure they would. If they were so inclined they could even package the 22nd and 26th to move up from there.

That article also said the Isles want to move into the 15 - 20 range, which leaves the Nucks out of the picture.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 01:26 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
The Sabres don't have a 2nd round pick. And they need to dump salary to address other needs

13th and Hecht for 26, 37, and Park

Hecht's contract is a nonstarter.

I also don't think the Isles will wind up losing Park in whatever deal goes down.

Old
06-09-2009, 01:31 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
1) According to Botta, Isles are not willing to move the 31st.

2) I know it is just picks, but the Fishsticks and Ranger$ have never hooked up for a trade of substantial assets, and I don't expect that to happen this year. Ranger$ are not a player in this situation, IMO.
Which is a shame, because, I wouldn't be opposed to making such a move. Depending on who's left on the board at 19, of course.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 01:36 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Hecht's contract is a nonstarter.

I also don't think the Isles will wind up losing Park in whatever deal goes down.
What about a 1 year rental defensemen, who's trade value at the deadline will be the equivalent of a 2nd rounder?

13th and Tallinder for 26, 37, Joensuu

Old
06-09-2009, 01:39 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
What about a 1 year rental defensemen, who's trade value at the deadline will be the equivalent of a 2nd rounder?

13th and Tallinder for 26, 37, Joensuu
I find it kind of funny that are proposing dumps involving players we had bitter arguments about in the past.

I'm sure you remember the infamous Hecht threads in which you tried to assure me that Hecht was a true #1 LW'er.

Then, there was the argument a bit earlier in the year, in which you argued that Tallinder was a true top pairing dman who could skate as well as JayBo.

In case, I believe you are making this all too complex. The Isles may want to pull off a minor move up in this draft. I don't see them eating salary, giving up prospects they like, or trading useful third liner checkers in the bargain.

All that said, these are typical Jame proposals - balanced, thoughful, and help both teams.

Last edited by Darth Milbury: 06-09-2009 at 02:02 PM.
Old
06-09-2009, 02:01 PM
Cool Hand Luke

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thliner View Post
In this draft there is

1 and 2

3 to 9 (Kane and Schenn leading the way)

10 to 15

Anything below that is just a punch of good prospects with little to chose from till rounds 2 and maybe 3. So unless Snow can get into that top 10-15 by moving the 26 and two high 2nd round picks to do it, there is no point. I am guessing if Snow draft Hedman 1st overall he wants to go after a high skill blue chip forward in the early teens, a guy like Kadri. Maybe if he is lucky Schroeder, but that aint gonna happen cuz I belive he will go top 10. If Kadri is gone, then guys like Scott Glennie, Kassian, Carter Ashton all quality forwards should still be available.

If he draft Tavares, well I think he will be targeting dman like Ryan Ellis and John Moore with that pick, but I think 18-20 aint gonna cut it for all the players I mentioned. You gotta move up to the top 15 to play ball.
From my perspective:

1. Hedman
2. Tavares
3. Duchene

BIG DROP

4. Kane
5. Schenn
6. MPS

MEDIUM DROP

7. Cowan
8. Kulikov
9. OEL

SMALL DROP

10. Kadri
11. Schroeder
12. Moore
13. Ellis

SMALL DROP

14. Despres
15. Glennie
16. Kassian
17. Josephson

SMALL DROP

18. Krieder
19. Rundblad
20. Budish

LARGE DROP

The REST

Getting into the top 20 will make a difference. Why do you think they are looking for a pick between 18 - 20?

Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 02:03 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
From my perspective:

1. Hedman
2. Tavares
3. Duchene

BIG DROP

4. Kane
5. Schenn
6. MPS

MEDIUM DROP

7. Cowan
8. Kulikov
9. OEL

SMALL DROP

10. Kadri
11. Schroeder
12. Moore
13. Ellis

SMALL DROP

14. Despres
15. Glennie
16. Kassian
17. Josephson

SMALL DROP

18. Krieder
19. Rundblad
20. Budish

LARGE DROP

The REST

Getting into the top 20 will make a difference. Why do you think they are looking for a pick between 18 - 20?
We can quible about the details (I think Despres and Kadri will both go higher, at least based on what I can read). But, otherwise, I think you are dead on.

Old
06-09-2009, 02:13 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
I find it kind of funny that are proposing dumps involving players we had bitter arguments about in the past.

I'm sure you remember the infamous Hecht threads in which you tried to assure me that Hecht was a true #1 LW'er.

Then, there was the argument a bit earlier in the year, in which you argued that Tallinder was a true top pairing dman who could skate as well as JayBo.

In case, I believe you are making this all too complex. The Isles may want to pull off a minor move up in this draft. I don't see them eating salary, giving up prospects they like, or trading useful third liner checkers in the bargain.

All that said, these are typical Jame proposals - balanced, thoughful, and help both teams.

I dont think its fair to hold me to things I said OVER 3 years ago. I believe I deserve a clean slate each and every year!

Buffalo needs to shed some salary and move a defender. Hecht's contract is crap, but I see more teams acting like Burke and "Selling" there cap space. Certainly moving up into the top half of the first round has some value.

Tallinder is interesting. I still think he is a quality #2/#3 guy. But I also think Myers is starting in Buffalo next year. So Tallinder makes the most sense to move at the draft for a pick. The fact that he is signed for only this year means a team selling some cap space could easily recover picks/prospects by trading him at the deadline. When you look at UFA to be defensemen who "could" be available at this year's deadline, i think Tallinder and Lydman are near the top.

Old
06-09-2009, 02:14 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
26th and 37th to the Rangers for the 19th.

I would deal with the Islanders for that.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 02:20 PM
ecemleafs

the rangers would like to deal with the isles unless glennie falls.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 02:21 PM
SomE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
From my perspective:

1. Hedman
2. Tavares
3. Duchene

BIG DROP

4. Kane
5. Schenn
6. MPS

MEDIUM DROP

7. Cowan
8. Kulikov
9. OEL

SMALL DROP

10. Kadri
11. Schroeder
12. Moore
13. Ellis

SMALL DROP

14. Despres
15. Glennie
16. Kassian
17. Josephson

SMALL DROP

18. Krieder
19. Rundblad
20. Budish

LARGE DROP

The REST

I don't think that's all that accurate. Not much respect for Holland, Morin, or Ashton.

SomE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 02:24 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
the rangers would like to deal with the isles unless glennie falls.
The Isles can have Glennie.

The Rangers targets should be Josefson, Palmieri, Kassian, Krieder, and Budish. Everyone else is a secondary choice, as far as I'm concerned.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 02:49 PM
The Brazen Head

Quote:
I don't remember an Adam Graves deal, but there was that Ziggy Palffy stuff. And, I think a larger part of the reason it fell through was the bitterness between the two teams. Isles wouldn't make that deal without a big cash payment from the Rangers, partially because our ownership group resented the Rangers' flexing of their financial muscle.
Quote:
The Isles demanded the cash from the Ranger$ and not from the Kings . I think that had a lot to do with he animosity between the teams.

As per "FISH STICKS The Fall And Rise Of The New York Islanders" (Peter Botte & Alan Hahn)

Quote:
Years as bitter rivals and a silly slanderous ad campaign meant little with Palffy on the block. Milbury and former Rangers GM Neil Smith worked out what would have been a terrific deal for both sides. Palffy and veteran defenseman Rich Pilon would go to Manhattan in exchange for impressive youngsters Niklas Sundstrom, Todd Harvey, the Rangers' first round pick and college prospect Pat Leahy. The deal also included the Rangers padding the Islanders' pockets with an extra $2.5 million in cash. Once NHL commissioner Gary Bettman got wind of that sort of financing, however, he imediately stepped in and ordered it to be no more then $1 million.

Then the word got out -- neither side will admit which was the first to leak it to the press -- and New York was in a tizzy: the Islanders are going to send their best player to the Rangers?

Fans went crazy. The media went crazy. And PR directors from both teams began discussing how they would handle the strange circumstance about to happen.

With a need for a competitive bid to keep the Rangers from controlling the market,the league stepped in again to help the Islanders search for another party with an interest in Palffy. The Los Angeles Kings then decided to make an offer that included Palffy and veteran forward Bryan Smolinksi, who was headed for restricted free agency, thus necessitating that the Islanders dump him as well. The Islanders wanted hot prospects Scott Barney and Justin Papineau in return for those two players. Milbury and Kings counterpart Dave Taylor were quickly able to come to an agreement.

That's when Milstein met former MSG president Dave Checketts at a Knicks playoff game and said he wanted the Rangers to sweeten the pot. Since Bettman cut $1.5 million from the cash exchange, Milstein wanted the Garden's parent company, Cablevision, to rework the team's cable deal so that the team could get more money up front. Or perhaps issue the Islanders a loan, borrowing off the value of the cable contract.

Cablevision said no. The Rangers, sensing Milstein's infamous greed sprouting again, then walked away from the deal.
It then continues with how the Islanders ended up with Olli Jokinen instead of Scott Barney, along with Mathieu Biron, Josh Green and the Kings first-round pick for that draft year.

Last edited by The Brazen Head: 06-09-2009 at 03:42 PM.
The Brazen Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 05:43 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brazen Head View Post
As per "FISH STICKS The Fall And Rise Of The New York Islanders" (Peter Botte & Alan Hahn)

It then continues with how the Islanders ended up with Olli Jokinen instead of Scott Barney, along with Mathieu Biron, Josh Green and the Kings first-round pick for that draft year.
Thanks. I knew there was something in there about the cable deal too.

Despite all of this, I doubt they trade with each other at the draft. I think the Rangers try to move up anyway, not down. Maybe if they can't move up and an impact forward isn't there, maybe then they move down.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 06:01 PM
wesott11

im suprised there hasnt been any talk of anaheim moving their 1st for more assetts. murray has stated he wanted to stock up, since burke dwindled out future so badly. i believe anaheim has the 15th? this would be a good deal for them. maybe to get the 26th, 37th, and a decent player/prospect/lower round pick.

im all up for anaheim trading down, unless they plan on picking a good winger thats still available... we'll see i guess.

wesott11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 07:18 PM
Falcons93

1st, 26th, 31st, and 37th? Those are some pretty good picks, the Isles could have a really good draft and a good future ahead of them after this.

Falcons93 is offline   Reply With Quote