HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Emelin to stay in Russia at least one more year

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-09-2009, 09:56 AM
  #101
CanadienErrant*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Cook Islands
Posts: 4,956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman View Post
Emelin would be a fringe number 7 defenseman at best. As it stands right now, the guy is not NHL material and he knows it. There's no reason for him to come over.

You guys need to calm down.
Agree. The guy was playing on the bottom pair on his team, averaging 14 minutes a game. Every year, he is regressing (or he has reached already his ceiling)...

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 10:38 AM
  #102
TheCH*
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,060
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
No more Russians? Then the next Andrei Markov goes to the Bruins or the Flyers or whatever.
What the **** are you talking about?
The next Andrei Markov will never be coming to the NHL to begin with! He'll stay in Russia because he can make just as much or more money to play in his home country. You will see less and less russians coming to the nhl and pretty soon the only ones that will remain are ones that are already locked under long term contracts.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 10:56 AM
  #103
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,304
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
What a moron. He could've CLEARLY taken a look at our roster and said "Wow, I could make their NHL roster this year and make boatloads more in the NHL if I play to my potential. Oh well, guess I'll play 4th pairing and spend 80% of my time in the box in Russia."
Evidently you've never seen him play, because there is no way Emelin is ready to play in the NHL.

In fact, that's probably exactly why they couldn't get a deal done. Emelin probably wanted to come over if he was guaranteed NHL minutes and the Habs wouldn't bite (smartly).

But no, he must be a moron. Best fanbase in sports, right here.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 10:57 AM
  #104
CanadienErrant*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Cook Islands
Posts: 4,956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
What the **** are you talking about?
The next Andrei Markov will never be coming to the NHL to begin with! He'll stay in Russia because he can make just as much or more money to play in his home country. You will see less and less russians coming to the nhl and pretty soon the only ones that will remain are ones that are already locked under long term contracts.
Unless kids like Kulikov, or Gratchev, who are playing their junior in Canada, prefers to stay here. I know that Radulov came back home, but he could bounced back on an NHL team next season.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 11:07 AM
  #105
Analyzer*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 44,999
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
What a moron. He could've CLEARLY taken a look at our roster and said "Wow, I could make their NHL roster this year and make boatloads more in the NHL if I play to my potential. Oh well, guess I'll play 4th pairing and spend 80% of my time in the box in Russia."
I don't know. A lot of people were convinced he'd make the team. If he did, he'd spend probably the same amount of time in the press box making less and far away from home. Or in Hamilton.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 11:22 AM
  #106
Siberian
Registered User
 
Siberian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Saint Pierre
Country: France
Posts: 3,556
vCash: 500
I am not sure why you are blaming the kid. Blame the anti-market CBA instead. Why not allow in the new CBA sign one rookie each year or once in two years with a one way contract with a negotiated price and it can be as short as one year? I know the teams like to benefit by having Malkins and Crosbys for cheap for three years but the bigger picture is that a lot of great players would be missing in the NHL. Look at Ilya Nikulin situation in Atlanta. They could have had a guy who could be the cornerstone of their defense but because of financial limits he will not come.

Siberian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 11:57 AM
  #107
Lucius
Registered User
 
Lucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
I'd still rather draft a Canadian boy with equal talent when taking into considerations the risks of the Russian choosing Russia instead. I'd be curious to know how many have take that route in recent years around the NHL, including some who have come to play in the NHL for a while (see Radulov for example). Teams can do all of the homework they can but it doesn't guarantee that the players won't change their mind. Here's hoping that our brass is taking notes and looks in our own backyard (which means in Canada folks, no French politics here).
You said it yourself... "of equal talent."

Obviously, in the eye of our scouts, these guys were the best players available.

In fact, I wouldn't be shocked if they were only available at some positions (say Trunev) because of the transfer agreement and what you describe.

Two identical players. One from Canada and one from Russia. Yes, I agree with you. Given the state of the hockey world, take the Canadian. History shows he's more likely to want to play for you.

But that above scenario has never happened

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 12:29 PM
  #108
Myt621
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Saskatoon, Sk
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 76
vCash: 500
Emelin signed a 2 year deal with Ak Bars report from russianprospects.com

I give up on him now

Myt621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 01:11 PM
  #109
Newhabfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,061
vCash: 500
Some people should realise that a guy like Emelin (or others) do not owe anything to you or the Habs for the "favor" of being picked at the draft. For having the priviledge of (maybe) "playing in this beatiful city for this extraordinary franchise".

Being picked at the draft is not a contract. Not an obligation. He did not betray you just because your dreams of having him in the lineup were shattered.

He had a choice to make. I bet 99% of the posters here would have chosen the same if in his shoes.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 01:14 PM
  #110
CanadienErrant*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Cook Islands
Posts: 4,956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
Some people should realise that a guy like Emelin (or others) do not owe anything to you or the Habs for the "favor" of being picked at the draft. For having the priviledge of (maybe) "playing in this beatiful city for this extraordinary franchise".

Being picked at the draft is not a contract. Not an obligation. He did not betray you just because your dreams of having him in the lineup were shattered.

He had a choice to make. I bet 99% of the posters here would have chosen the same if in his shoes.
If it's the case, why bother drafting them anymore ? Let's just sign them as UFA when they really want to play for you...

And, while we are at it, let's not draft anyone and just signed them as free agents. Why a draft ?...

And not respecting signed contracts is fine too, I guess. Valentenko and Radulov did not give a dams about it !

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 01:16 PM
  #111
Capitano
Registered User
 
Capitano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,413
vCash: 500
I would only draft Russians in the first 2 rounds, and then avoid them like the plague.

It's really a miracle that Markov came over when he did because we would never have seen him if things were like they are now.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 01:18 PM
  #112
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice
 
Habs Icing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 6,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
Some people should realise that a guy like Emelin (or others) do not owe anything to you or the Habs for the "favor" of being picked at the draft. For having the priviledge of (maybe) "playing in this beatiful city for this extraordinary franchise".

Being picked at the draft is not a contract. Not an obligation. He did not betray you just because your dreams of having him in the lineup were shattered.

He had a choice to make. I bet 99% of the posters here would have chosen the same if in his shoes.
Now why would you go and post this nonsense? You went and ruined a perfectly unreasonable thread.

Shame on you for bringing logic and reason into this rant and rage.

Habs Icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 01:19 PM
  #113
vokiel
Nothing blind
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Montréal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 8,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano View Post
I would only draft Russians in the first 2 rounds, and then avoid them like the plague.

It's really a miracle that Markov came over when he did because we would never have seen him if things were like they are now.
Emelin is a second round draft pick

Edit: ooops nvm 3rd actually.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 01:25 PM
  #114
Newhabfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
If it's the case, why bother drafting them anymore ? Let's just sign them as UFA when they really want to play for you...

And, while we are at it, let's not draft anyone and just signed them as free agents. Why a draft ?...

And not respecting signed contracts is fine too, I guess. Valentenko and Radulov did not give a dams about it !
Radulov and Valentenko are a different case then Emelin - they had contracts signed and they did not respect them. The real problem there is the lack of agreement between the NHL and the KHL though

Being picked in a draft does not imply a legal obligation for you to play there. Respect other people's freedom of choice just like you would want yours respected.

And to be honest, I personally think the whole drafting process to be kind of stupid. All in the name of parity and profit.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 01:26 PM
  #115
shutehinside
Registered User
 
shutehinside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,296
vCash: 500
How about trading his rights to Nashville for Radulov's?
Think they'd bite?

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 01:54 PM
  #116
Capitano
Registered User
 
Capitano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
Emelin is a second round draft pick

Edit: ooops nvm 3rd actually.
That could have ended poorly for me hehehe

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 03:08 PM
  #117
Fire Everyone
Especially you
 
Fire Everyone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Moreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,989
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
And not respecting signed contracts is fine too, I guess. Valentenko and Radulov did not give a dams about it !
Neither did Malkin.

Fire Everyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 03:19 PM
  #118
Reuben
Registered User
 
Reuben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Victoria B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,816
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano View Post
I would only draft Russians in the first 2 rounds, and then avoid them like the plague.

It's really a miracle that Markov came over when he did because we would never have seen him if things were like they are now.
this is exactly how I see it too.

Reuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 03:27 PM
  #119
Scotianhab
Registered User
 
Scotianhab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,776
vCash: 500
If he wants to stay in Russia let him. I always thought he would have a good chance to become a solid NHL defenceman but after all the defencemen we've selected in the last couple of years it doesn't hurt our depth too much prospect wise if he never comes over.

Scotianhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 07:41 PM
  #120
Sandvich
VERY NICE
 
Sandvich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,423
vCash: 500
The russians doesn't want to play with the habs
The frenchmens doesn't want to play with the habs

Next? Jews?

Sandvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 07:47 PM
  #121
Schooner Guy
Registered User
 
Schooner Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,708
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano View Post
I would only draft Russians in the first 2 rounds, and then avoid them like the plague.

It's really a miracle that Markov came over when he did because we would never have seen him if things were like they are now.
Not me. I would rather draft them in the later rounds (i.e.- Trunev) because then you're not paying as much and if they ever decide to cross the pond you could get a higher return for that late-round Russian pick than you likely would for a NA kid that everyone knows would be an easy sign.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 08:14 PM
  #122
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
You said it yourself... "of equal talent."

Obviously, in the eye of our scouts, these guys were the best players available.

In fact, I wouldn't be shocked if they were only available at some positions (say Trunev) because of the transfer agreement and what you describe.

Two identical players. One from Canada and one from Russia. Yes, I agree with you. Given the state of the hockey world, take the Canadian. History shows he's more likely to want to play for you.

But that above scenario has never happened
And there is the essence of this whole discussion and where I'm saying that we must give advantage to the home land as we know that they'll stick around... instead of wasting a pick.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 08:47 PM
  #123
teddygmr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,543
vCash: 500
From Russianprospects.com:
"Despite the offer coming from Montreal, Alexei Emelin (Montreal Canadiens) opted to sign a new 2 years deal with Ak Bars Kazan. Montreal was really waiting for him for the 09-10 season but apparently he got a lucrative offer from his KHL team."

So now that Emelin has signed to play in KHL again, hopefully Gainey turns his attention to Konstantin Korneev, who is a much better player than Emelin anyway!

In fact he is similar in many ways to Andre Markov and is definitely talented enough to contribute to the Habs.

teddygmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 08:50 PM
  #124
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 53,866
vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddygmr View Post
From Russianprospects.com:
"Despite the offer coming from Montreal, Alexei Emelin (Montreal Canadiens) opted to sign a new 2 years deal with Ak Bars Kazan. Montreal was really waiting for him for the 09-10 season but apparently he got a lucrative offer from his KHL team."

So now that Emelin has signed to play in KHL again, hopefully Gainey turns his attention to Konstantin Korneev, who is a much better player than Emelin anyway!

In fact he is similar in many ways to Andre Markov and is definitely talented enough to contribute to the Habs.
If Emelin is capable of getting a lucrative KHL contract, I can't imagine how lucrative Korneev's contract can end up being.....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 09:02 PM
  #125
mtl_felix
Registered User
 
mtl_felix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Lavaltrie, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddygmr View Post
From Russianprospects.com:
"Despite the offer coming from Montreal, Alexei Emelin (Montreal Canadiens) opted to sign a new 2 years deal with Ak Bars Kazan. Montreal was really waiting for him for the 09-10 season but apparently he got a lucrative offer from his KHL team."

So now that Emelin has signed to play in KHL again, hopefully Gainey turns his attention to Konstantin Korneev, who is a much better player than Emelin anyway!

In fact he is similar in many ways to Andre Markov and is definitely talented enough to contribute to the Habs.
I agree. I think Korneev will be hard to lure over, but I think it's really worth it.

mtl_felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:56 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.