HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Latendresse to get 1st line minutes?

Closed Thread

Old
06-09-2009, 02:49 PM
Andy

vCash: 500
Latendresse to get 1st line minutes?

This thread is just to see how the posters in the Andrei Kostitsyn thread who refuse acknowledge that he should be playing on the 1st line are going to justify this.

Their claims of why Andrei shouldn't...
"He hasn't desvered it"
"Hasn't shown that he's capable of handling it"

So CanadianErrant, PuckHead, MaxPac, FSU Seminoles, please try to convince me otherwise.

EDIT: I was just trying to stir the pot and see what these posters would come up with as excuses, but speaking from truth I do think Lats should get a second line role. He's got the offensive potential.

Last edited by Andy: 06-09-2009 at 03:04 PM.
Old
06-09-2009, 02:55 PM
Maverik

In before lock

Old
06-09-2009, 02:56 PM
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide

I want AKost to get first line minutes and I want Lats to get at the very least some PP time and a linemate who isn't called Kostopoulos.

Lats and Lapierre showed dramatic improvement last season, they deserve more playing time and a good winger.

Lats is also the only player we KNOW to be actively improving his game off-season. Lats is what, 22? He has a wife and kid now. He's very old school like that, not much of a partyboy or anything. I think that's going to translate well on-ice.

edit

And he's got a nice pair of hands.

Old
06-09-2009, 02:57 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Andrei is our top offensive star. He's the one with the most potential so he definitely should get minutes.

But I think Lats should get top line minutes too. He needs PP Ice Time and we should put him on an offensive line.

Both him and Andrei should get more ice time next season, but it'll all boil down to the training camp and our additions over the summer.

Old
06-09-2009, 02:57 PM

lol ...this should go over well.

Truth be told, we don't know how any of the current players would handle 1st line minutes because traditionally, those minutes have always gone to the same players...

Will an expanded role/opportunity do what it did for players like say....Burrows or Kesler in Vancouver? Or Stajan or Antropov in Toronto? or even Datsyuk/Zetterberg in Detroit 4 or 5 years ago?

we'll see I guess

Old
06-09-2009, 02:59 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLapierre View Post
I want AKost to get first line minutes and I want Lats to get at the very least some PP time and a linemate who isn't called Kostopoulos.

Lats and Lapierre showed dramatic improvement last season, they deserve more playing time and a good winger.

Lats is also the only player we KNOW to be actively improving his game off-season. Lats is what, 22? He has a wife and kid now. He's very old school like that, not much of a partyboy or anything. I think that's going to translate well on-ice.
Lats and your favorite boy, Lapierre, were regulars at Opera. I know this because I was a regular there and always saw them.

Let's stop putting the ''partying'' into the mix, it's completely ridiculous.

Old
06-09-2009, 03:01 PM
Puckhead58*

They both should get more icetime IMO....especially Andrei....since he is the one with more potential.

If Lats can stay healthy and play a better 2way game, then sure, give him more icetime and see how it works out....but you can't just give him the icetime if he isn't working for it and deserves it.

Old
06-09-2009, 03:06 PM
Boulette Cannon

I see Martin giving both kids way more icetime. He's great with young players.

Old
06-09-2009, 03:08 PM
davenash

Lines speculation at this point are pointless and stupid. We don't even know who will play for us this year.

Old
06-09-2009, 03:12 PM
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Lats and your favorite boy, Lapierre, were regulars at Opera. I know this because I was a regular there and always saw them.

In comparison to Price, Higgins, Komisarek, Gorges and O'Byrne who I see all the time at Buenotte and MED?

Old
06-09-2009, 03:12 PM
MathMan

Lats' production relative to icetime is good enough that the OP's tongue-in-cheek idea shouldn't be seen as absurd -- especially if he's complementing a line in need of a finisher. Latendresse has put up more goals per minute than anyone on the team not named Tanguay (with AKost close behind), and he's been steadily improving year-over-year, too. I could see him warranting first- or second-line minutes at even strength and spot duty on the PP's second wave.

Hopefully though, the Habs won't need to use Lats on the first line yet. A probable scenario is that Tanguay will be re-signed and AK46 will be moved to RW, so Lats will be a clear #2 on the LW depth chart. Then again, the line of Lats-Koivu-Tanguay hasn't exactly sucked when it was used, and I could see that line complementing a top line featuring AKost, some prime acquisition, and maybe a re-signed Kovalev. (Kovy is a good-but-not-great ES player, but his PP contributions would be difficult to live without.)

Old
06-09-2009, 03:14 PM
Kebekoi

But but but he's our next captain!

Old
06-09-2009, 03:19 PM
Andy

Quote:

Don't forget that Lats was also a regular at Pinokkio's.

Old
06-09-2009, 03:20 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Lats' production relative to icetime is good enough that the OP's tongue-in-cheek idea shouldn't be seen as absurd -- especially if he's complementing a line in need of a finisher. Latendresse has put up more goals per minute than anyone on the team not named Tanguay (with AKost close behind), and he's been steadily improving year-over-year, too. I could see him warranting first- or second-line minutes at even strength and spot duty on the PP's second wave.

Hopefully though, the Habs won't need to use Lats on the first line yet. A probable scenario is that Tanguay will be re-signed and AK46 will be moved to RW, so Lats will be a clear #2 on the LW depth chart. Then again, the line of Lats-Koivu-Tanguay hasn't exactly sucked when it was used, and I could see that line complementing a top line featuring AKost, some prime acquisition, and maybe a re-signed Kovalev. (Kovy is a good-but-not-great ES player, but his PP contributions would be difficult to live without.)

MathMan, my OP, was more about the excuses given for one player to see if they apply to the other player.

IMO, both haven't proven that they deserve to be there, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be.

Old
06-09-2009, 03:21 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
In comparison to Price, Higgins, Komisarek, Gorges and O'Byrne who I see all the time at Buenotte and MED?
Isn't that what I said?..

They were regulars.

Never said they were the only ones. You can throw Chipchura, Kost broz, Markov, Ryder,Streit, Souray, Aebischer and Grabovski into the mix too if you want. I saw them plenty of times out.

Even saw Vinny and Ovechkin partying it up on more than one occasion when they were in town.

Heck, Koivu even flirted with my friend at MED.

Bottom line is players, a big majority of them, will always party and that's okay.

Old
06-09-2009, 03:21 PM
Andy

Quote:
what's the difference? Opera is filled with Gangsters and Buonanotte is filled with Mobsters.

A Club is a Club/

Old
06-09-2009, 03:37 PM
Reuben

Quote:

whats completely ridiculous is comparing going to the opera with going to a club and partying all night.

I wouldn't mind seeing both Andrei and Lats getting increased minutes. Then see how they respond and adjust there minutes/roles accordingly. Both need to improve their play without the puck and both need to assert themselves more also.

Old
06-09-2009, 03:37 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
IMO, both haven't proven that they deserve to be there, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be.
Agree, but I'd further ask what is meant by "deserving" to be there. For my money, you deserve to be on the first line if it's where you'll help the team most -- generally, if your even-strength production and your even-strength defense are better than anyone else they could put there. Note that I separate out PP time, because you can build PP units separately from even-strength lines.

In general, Tanguay has been bar none the best ES winger on the team. Latendresse has been second-best this year (seriously!) so he is definitely a candidate. Andrei Kostitsyn was lights-out last year, and managed to do decently this year. Alex Kovalev generally does very well as well but he's well below Tanguay and -- perhaps surprisingly -- not clearly above AKost and Lats. (He's a monster on the PP, but PP units are built separately and should be considered separately).

With that in mind, I'd say Lats and AKost both clearly deserve consideration towards being first-line forwards with the Habs roster as it stands now -- nevermind that they are both young players who are still improving, their current contributions warrant looks for first-line icetime.

Depending on what happens this summer, that may no longer be the case come October -- if the Habs retain Tanguay and acquire another premier ES contributor, those two will bump the kids down the depth chart (probably down to the second line, where I'd like to see them together with an two-way playmaking center to see what happens.)

Old
06-09-2009, 03:41 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuben View Post
whats completely ridiculous is comparing going to the opera with going to a club and partying all night.
I was referring to ''Opera''. A very popular night club on the corner of St-Laurent/Ste-Catherine.

Old
06-09-2009, 03:45 PM
Danadiens

Quote:

I wouldn't mind seeing both Andrei and Lats getting increased minutes. Then see how they respond and adjust there minutes/roles accordingly. Both need to improve their play without the puck and both need to assert themselves more also.
Opera IS a club...

Old
06-09-2009, 03:45 PM
Reuben

Quote:
I was referring to ''Opera''. A very popular night club on the corner of St-Laurent/Ste-Catherine.
aww

my apologies i thought you had lost your marbles making that comaprison.

Old
06-09-2009, 03:46 PM
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide

Quote:

Well done good sir, well done.

Old
06-09-2009, 03:46 PM
Fire Brunet*

Quote:

Opera= http://www.operamtl.com/

not

Old
06-09-2009, 03:48 PM
Reuben

Quote:

Well done good sir, well done.
he meant a club called the "opera" so the clapping is underserved. I suppose he should have specified that to avoid confusion.

Old
06-09-2009, 03:53 PM
kovalost27

I wouldn't even expect Latendresse to be back next year, he is a waste of good space.

Closed Thread