HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

J.Staal for Pacioretty, Weber, 1st rounder

Old
06-09-2009, 03:54 PM
centrehice

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
I'm sure the 'Canes brass would be falling over themselves to trade you their franchise center locked up long-term for two prospects that haven't done jack ****, a 2nd, and a mid-round 1st.

A 22 year old with little relative defensive value, a career high of 12 goals and 21 points, and 3 games of pointless playoff experience plus a small offensive defenseman we couldn't possibly need less, for a huge 20 year old center already with two 20+ goal seasons, two Finals runs in which he's shut down players like Eric Staal and Jeff Carter, and who's signed for another 4 years? Really?

This proposal doesn't help us at all now, and the Habs' prospects combined potential are no better than Staal's. Abort.
I hope you mean only weber and patches potential, as the habs were just rated as 2nd on hockeys future, and patches was a big part of that. Patches ceiling is pretty high, and he plays a big mans game.

Staal has obviously proved more, but all in all it's pretty fair deal. I wouldn't do it because I'm too excited for patches. But the habs and pens do make good trading partners as the pens are deep at centre and weak on the wing while the habs are the opposite.

centrehice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 04:07 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

I'll pass and keep Pacioretty and Weber. The value is close but I'd just rather develop Pacioretty and Weber properly.

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 04:08 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASV 27 View Post
For those of you thinking Staal is overrated;

His individual effort for the shorty in game 4 against Brian Rafalski, kep his team alive in the playoffs and if the Pens win the Cup, Staal will be one of the main reasons for it.
Evaluating players based on anecdotes, let alone individual plays, is about as surefire a way to overrate them as there is.

It's how RJ Umberger and Fernando Pisani got big paydays, for example.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 04:10 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
I'd be surprised if he were traded to Montréal and wasn't the number 1 centre.
I genuinely think that if Jordan Staal is the #1 centre on a team next year, that team has issue with centre depth. They may be set down the road but next year is too early for Staal.

I could see him pencilled in as the second-line centre on a fairly good team.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 04:27 PM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoyCoy View Post
I'll pass and keep Pacioretty and Weber. The value is close but I'd just rather develop Pacioretty and Weber properly.
Amen brother.. ps nice avy

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 06:59 PM
mytor4*

Too much to give up for a player that at best is a 2nd line center. If we're going to give up that much why not add another piece and get a real #1 center.Staal is a good checking 2nd line center that can pot a few goals but he's not near good enough to be leading your team as your 1st line ofensive center. Way over-rated by Pen fans.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 12:29 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Clam and Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by centrehice View Post
I hope you mean only weber and patches potential, as the habs were just rated as 2nd on hockeys future, and patches was a big part of that. Patches ceiling is pretty high, and he plays a big mans game.
Wouldn't be much point in me comparing Staal's potential to that of every single Habs prospect.

Quote:
Staal has obviously proved more, but all in all it's pretty fair deal. I wouldn't do it because I'm too excited for patches. But the habs and pens do make good trading partners as the pens are deep at centre and weak on the wing while the habs are the opposite.
The Habs simply don't have a winger with comparable potential and current value to make it workable.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 12:30 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Clam and Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper View Post
Too much to give up for a player that at best is a 2nd line center. If we're going to give up that much why not add another piece and get a real #1 center.Staal is a good checking 2nd line center that can pot a few goals but he's not near good enough to be leading your team as your 1st line ofensive center. Way over-rated by Pen fans.
If you think adding another piece to that package is going to get you a legitimate #1 center, Pens fans aren't the only ones overrating their assets.

Old
06-10-2009, 10:47 AM
centrehice

Quote:
The Habs simply don't have a winger with comparable potential and current value to make it workable.
Andrei kostitsyn? He was ranked in the top 5 in his draft year. He's also putting up better numbers.

centrehice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 11:35 AM
JTG

Quote:
Andrei kostitsyn? He was ranked in the top 5 in his draft year. He's also putting up better numbers.
And what does his ranking draft year have to do with anything?

Also define the context of what position he is playing when putting up those numbers. Is he playing a defensive role? Is he on the 3rd line?

JTG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 05:03 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Evaluating players based on anecdotes, let alone individual plays, is about as surefire a way to overrate them as there is.

It's how RJ Umberger and Fernando Pisani got big paydays, for example.
You're right.

However, my point is that when Staal hits his potential those are the types of plays he will be making on a regular basis.

Also, Staal has two great goals of individual efforts this SCF, which I'm sure hasn't gone unnoticed among the other NHL GMs.

Ragamuffin Gunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 05:09 PM
WestCoast

Doesn't matter. Jordan Staal is the most overrated player in the NHL.

WestCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 05:28 PM
solo16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessebelanger View Post
my bad thought it was shea weber haha
At first me too... I was like seriously? Weber alone is worth more than Staal.

solo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 06:09 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Clam and Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoast View Post
Doesn't matter. Jordan Staal is the most overrated player in the NHL.
That's fine. In case all the rejected trade proposals didn't make it click in for you, we're happy to keep him.

Quote:
Andrei kostitsyn? He was ranked in the top 5 in his draft year.
That probably couldn't matter less.

Quote:
He's also putting up better numbers.
He put up slightly better numbers in a much more offensive role, while bringing much less to the table overall, and being more than 3 years older. Kostitsyn as a centerpiece for a Staal deal wouldn't generate much interest, particularly since there's no good reason at all to trade JS. None.

Old
06-10-2009, 07:05 PM
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury

Quote:

I dont think there is any chance that shero would do a deal like this. Plus who the **** wants a player on their team who gets the nick name patches.

Letang fan 58 is offline   Reply With Quote