HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vrbata?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-04-2009, 05:26 PM
  #1
Beukeboom Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 11,660
vCash: 500
Vrbata?

Any word if Vrbata is going to come back to the NHL this year? I thought that when he went home last year he said his intention was to come back this year, but hadn't heard or seen anything, and was wondering if I had missed something?

Beukeboom Fan is offline  
Old
06-04-2009, 06:02 PM
  #2
Felonious Python
Moderator
Purple Squirrel
 
Felonious Python's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Hot Seat
Posts: 13,384
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
Any word if Vrbata is going to come back to the NHL this year? I thought that when he went home last year he said his intention was to come back this year, but hadn't heard or seen anything, and was wondering if I had missed something?
No word on anything as of yet.

Felonious Python is offline  
Old
06-05-2009, 08:32 AM
  #3
TBFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Far from here
Country: United States
Posts: 358
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
Any word if Vrbata is going to come back to the NHL this year? I thought that when he went home last year he said his intention was to come back this year, but hadn't heard or seen anything, and was wondering if I had missed something?
My feeling is that the Lightning are hoping that he does not come back especially with that $3 million salary.

TBFan is offline  
Old
06-06-2009, 05:10 AM
  #4
garmonbozia
Registered User
 
garmonbozia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 627
vCash: 500
I expect he'll come back this offseason with every intention of fufilling the rest of his contract.

Why did he really leave though? It seemed kind of muddled with the whole 'personal reasons' and 'lack of confidence' excuses. Once Tocchet took over it seemed like his role progressively diminished until he found himself a healthy scratch a few games before the whole waiver/reassignment thing. Lawton even intoned at the time that it was a situation that would be revisited upon his return this summer.

So was it all strictly performance related?
Did he perform any better on the 2 Czech teams he played for?
Was it really more tied into his pregnant wife and issues there?
Did she deliver the baby alright?
Boy or girl?
Did he learn how to recycle?***
Did he regain his confidence?

All these and more to be answered in just a few short months! Oh the suspense!


Radim vrbata WRU?!?!







***Searching the internet for answers did bring up this -


embedding disabled? see here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-xQpNwD164

garmonbozia is offline  
Old
06-06-2009, 07:45 AM
  #5
TheDaysOf 04
Moderator
Rated [SFY]
 
TheDaysOf 04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 17,545
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmonbozia View Post
I expect he'll come back this offseason with every intention of fufilling the rest of his contract.

Why did he really leave though? It seemed kind of muddled with the whole 'personal reasons' and 'lack of confidence' excuses. Once Tocchet took over it seemed like his role progressively diminished until he found himself a healthy scratch a few games before the whole waiver/reassignment thing. Lawton even intoned at the time that it was a situation that would be revisited upon his return this summer.
here it is
from December 9th 2008:
Quote:
Vrbata will be assigned back to the Lightning after the season for the final two years of his deal.

"He intends to fulfill his obligation," Evans said.

Given his lack of offense and that coach Rick Tocchet has been critical of Vrbata's puck-hunting skills, will he fit in?

"We'll revisit it over the summer," Lawton said.

Until then, Evans said neither he nor Vrbata are negative about the Tampa Bay organization.

"We really appreciate the efforts of Brian Lawton and (owner) Len Barrie," Evans said. "We appreciate their willingness to recognize this family issue."
the most important thing to me, besides being able to recycle, is I want to know if his attitude has changed. The kid has skill, I don't question that, but there were times during last year when I was thinking just shut up and play. I remember when Toc benched him for his poor play, and not just offensively, and he was asked if he had got anything from watching the game from the pressbox and he responded that he didn't pick up anything because he wasn't a first or second year player and he had played a lot of NHL games. You are watching the game and not playing it for a reason. There were a couple things he wanted you to see and help your game. And I also remember when he complained when Melrose was coach that he wasn't getting enough ice time, and he needed 18 minutes like he had in Phoenix to be productive. I don't think he realized that some players weren't getting nearly as much as he was, and some players were being waived, traded, or sent down each day. I can tell Vrbata that there were many happy kids in Norfolk after he left that were ready to take his spot.

He's being paid a very very nice amount if he returns and I want him to play like he deserves it and he earned it. I know he is the type of player that goes from hot streaks to cold slumps. But even when he's not putting up points, is he still going to be a productive player on the ice? I wonder how he is going to handle Toc's system where he is going to have to go into the corners and dig out the pucks, and play a more physical game than he likes to play. If he's not willing to do what he has to do, then he can return to his family and continue to play in the Czech leagues.

TheDaysOf 04 is offline  
Old
06-06-2009, 11:06 AM
  #6
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks
 
The Fear Boners's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Scrip Club
Country: United States
Posts: 20,089
vCash: 500
He was also a guy that was consistently moved around and never got a chance to settle down with a regular pairing. He wasn't in the best situation to succeed, maybe that changes with Tocchet in charge from the start.

The Fear Boners is offline  
Old
06-06-2009, 05:10 PM
  #7
garmonbozia
Registered User
 
garmonbozia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 627
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post
He's being paid a very very nice amount if he returns and I want him to play like he deserves it and he earned it. I know he is the type of player that goes from hot streaks to cold slumps. But even when he's not putting up points, is he still going to be a productive player on the ice? I wonder how he is going to handle Toc's system where he is going to have to go into the corners and dig out the pucks, and play a more physical game than he likes to play. If he's not willing to do what he has to do, then he can return to his family and continue to play in the Czech leagues.

I positively agree with all this. It brings up the question of what his role can and will be on this team. To justify his salary and be put into a situation to deliver what is expected he needs to be on one of the top 2 lines, whichever Marty isn't. But, I don't think he fits what Tocchet wants and expects from a player getting those good minutes. Its going to be an uphill battle for him to just fit in if someone like Downie or Artyukin is doing what Tocchet expects and showing the hustle and grit Vrbata lacks.

The team isn't good enough (yet) to cover Vrbata's defensive shortcomings. It wouldn't be fair to Vinny & Prospal or Stamkos & Malone to have to 'carry' Vrbata through next season, Tocchet likely won't force them to anyway. If he winds up back on the third line getting less minutes he'll be disgruntled and even less effective. If he winds up in the pressbox or waived/demoted its an even worse situation for the team from an eating salary angle. I don't realistically expect him to stay/go back to the Czech leagues again. So what do they do? Trade for zero returns just to get him off? Re-entry waivers and hope someone picks him up at half cost?

I really think they're playing with fire if they allow him back and try to force him into a top 6 role. At best, I think he could put up 20g 30a but his career has never shown him to be what this team needs from their other top 6 RW heading in to next year. Curious to see how it all plays out as I think it greatly affects the teams ability to improve.

garmonbozia is offline  
Old
06-06-2009, 06:18 PM
  #8
Yzerplan
I has one.
 
Yzerplan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 6,044
vCash: 500
I hope he doesn't come back. One way or another, even if he scores 20 goals, which is about his ceiling IMO, he'll be overpaid regardless, hes soft, lazy and doesn't deserve a second chance, screw'em. I'd rather see his spot on the team go to a guy like Dana Tyrell.

Yzerplan is offline  
Old
06-08-2009, 02:19 PM
  #9
Beukeboom Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 11,660
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hockey Hitman View Post
I hope he doesn't come back. One way or another, even if he scores 20 goals, which is about his ceiling IMO, he'll be overpaid regardless, hes soft, lazy and doesn't deserve a second chance, screw'em. I'd rather see his spot on the team go to a guy like Dana Tyrell.
The problem is that I don't think that Vrbata will be willing forego $6M, as I don't think he'd many anywhere close to that in the Czech Republic. Unless the Bolts are just INSANELY lucky and he wants to stay in Cz Rep, they'll have to make it work if he wants to come back. No one is going to trade for him, and the team isn't going to want to eat the $3M contract playing in the minors.

Beukeboom Fan is offline  
Old
06-09-2009, 04:29 PM
  #10
Off Center
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 216
vCash: 500
I happened to go to the big preseason hulabaloo that OK hockey put on at the forum to introduce themselves to the fans last year, and had a chance to talk to both both Melrose and Len Barrie one on one....both of them were raving about Vrbata, confident they had a special player..."just wait 'til you see this Vrbata kid...", they both raved....*sigh*

Off Center is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:24 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.