HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Edmonton and Ottawa ( Heatley )

Old
06-09-2009, 03:03 PM
ncredible

vCash: 500
Edmonton and Ottawa ( Heatley )

I decided to make it's own thread for this as the Heatley thread gets cluttered VERY quick and this proposal was getting good reviews.

To Ottawa
2009 1st round pick 10th overall.
Patrick O'Sullivan 2.925M cap hit
Tom Gilbert 4M cap hit.

To Edmonton
Danny Heatley 7.5M cap hit.

Both teams take about the same cap back.

These deals never turn out huge when a player demands to be traded.

Ottawa NEEDS a puck moving defenseman, so why not Gilbert? He's not expensive and was 6th overall for points in all defensemen.

O'Sullivan is young and is a really good player.

Plus both players are alot younger than Heater, so Ottawa gains some youth.

ncredible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 03:06 PM
Tombernack

I think thats OK, but not that great. I'm sure there will be a better offer out there and some sens fans will show up shortly to let you know that.

Its a start, but would need some tweaking.

Tombernack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 03:11 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

It's pretty good except O'Sullivan's stock went way down after his trade this year... they might expect a stronger player than him.

If Heatley does indeed get traded I think they're going to want a proven forward in return

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 03:13 PM
ncredible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombernack View Post
I think thats OK, but not that great. I'm sure there will be a better offer out there and some sens fans will show up shortly to let you know that.

Its a start, but would need some tweaking.
Like what? look at when Hossa got traded, that trade was worst than this one.
Hossa along with Pascal Dupuis got back Colby Armstrong, Erik Christensen, prospect Angelo Esposito and a first-round draft pick.

1st rounder a 2nd / 3rd line player in Armstrong, a plug in Christensen and a prospect who has fallen so low in Esposito.

I think at least with my trade you get a solid draft pick in 10th overall, 2nd line player in O'Sullivan who could easily shape into first line LW. Then you get Tom Gilbert a easy top 4 defensemen who was 6th overall in points in ALL defensemen playing behind Souray and Visnovsky who got all the power play time.

I think this is pretty good value for someone who DEMANDED to be traded. I mean when has a player who has demanded to be moved gotten back another superstar??
You're not going to get that value back these days and everything has to be within cap space which is very tight amongst everyone right now.

Old
06-09-2009, 03:13 PM
shadow1

As good as Heatley is, I doubt Ottawa will get that much. When's the last time a superstar actually got fair return?

I'd say this is a fair deal.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 03:14 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
It's pretty good except O'Sullivan's stock went way down after his trade this year... they might expect a stronger player than him.

If Heatley does indeed get traded I think they're going to want a proven forward in return
I think they take this 'opportunity' to rectify their shortcomings on the back end and solidifying a bonafide first pairing offensive defenseman.

If they don't and they opt for another forward as the center piece, then they are terribly lopsided. But being in the east, where almost every team is lopsided offensively, it might not be too bad but it won't win them any championships going forward.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 03:16 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncredible View Post
Hossa along with Pascal Dupuis got back Colby Armstrong, Erik Christensen, prospect Angelo Esposito and a first-round draft pick.

1st rounder a 2nd / 3rd line player in Armstrong, a plug in Christensen and a prospect who has fallen so low in Esposito.

I think at least with my trade you get a solid draft pick in 10th overall, 2nd line player in O'Sullivan who could easily shape into first line LW. Then you get Tom Gilbert a easy top 4 defensemen who was 6th overall in points in ALL defensemen playing behind Souray and Visnovsky who got all the power play time.

I think this is pretty good value for someone who DEMANDED to be traded. I mean when has a player who has demanded to be moved gotten back another superstar??
You're not going to get that value back these days and everything has to be within cap space which is very tight amongst everyone right now.
I stopped reading when you compared this situation to Hossa's. Hossa was a UFA is 20 games. Heatley will be a UFA in like... 500 games. I wonder how that will make a difference, eh?

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 03:17 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Ottawa NEEDS a puck moving defenseman, so why not Gilbert? He's not expensive and was 6th overall for points in all defensemen.
Errr I think you're missing a digit.

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 03:20 PM
ncredible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post

How is he not proven?? He had 53 points in his first full year which was only in the 2007/08 season and the last season finished 43 points while being traded off a team he's used to and trying to fit in on the Oilers in Mac T's line blender. Did I mention he's only 2.925Million for a cap hit and also only 24 years old.

It's not his fault he finished with less points than the year before, Mac T can't get everything out of his players. Especially when they are on a different line with new people almost every night. Thank God he's gone!!!!

Old
06-09-2009, 03:22 PM
ncredible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcrew View Post
I stopped reading when you compared this situation to Hossa's. Hossa was a UFA is 20 games. Heatley will be a UFA in like... 500 games. I wonder how that will make a difference, eh?
That's true what you said but also a reason why the value I added is much better than that trade. Besides this isn't just going to be a trade because Murray wants to this is a demanded trade by the player. What do you expect to get back? Another top 10 superstar??? Unlikely.

Old
06-09-2009, 03:28 PM
Laoghaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
As good as Heatley is, I doubt Ottawa will get that much. When's the last time a superstar actually got fair return?

I'd say this is a fair deal.
Heatley for Hossa.

Laoghaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 03:37 PM
Muscles Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Errr I think you're missing a digit.
Maybe he ment that he was +6 as a defencemen last year?

Muscles Glasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 03:41 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

No thanks. Just not a fan of Gilbert or Sully.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 04:06 PM
oats101

Quote:

you are bang on with how you are valuing the players but i think the circumstances are a bit different. Hossa was a UFA deadline deal and they were gonna lose him for nothing. Heatley has a 5(?) year contract extension. If they dont trade him then he will still play for them. So Ottawa can bide there time and find a decent deal if he is even traded at all.

oats101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 04:31 PM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

What about a proven cheezeburger machine?

Penner + Cogs + Gilbert + 10th Overall?

Paralyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 04:33 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Cogliano-Grebs-1st overpayment?

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 05:04 PM
Regin 43*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyCMoney View Post
Maybe he ment that he was +6 as a defencemen last year?
He was 6th in the league in even strength points last year. Get off his case.

Regin 43* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 05:06 PM
Nacho Libre

NO...

Nacho Libre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 05:28 PM
rockinghockey

If Ottawa trades him they are not going to get back as much as they think they are. His cap hit of 7.5mil is hard to absorb. If I am Edmonton I would trade for him but I would not give our 10th pick away. Gilbert;Cogs or O'Sullivan and prospect that is it. I would rather go after Kessel in Boston younger and a better over all player.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 05:31 PM
Joey Moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass Lee View Post
maybe, just because of the value to oilers fans of the 2 players..

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 05:35 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass Lee View Post
I think that would be acceptable to EDM fans. Cogliano/Grebs is very similiar to POS/Gilbert, exept Grebs is a RFA wheras Gilbert is signed long term at a reasonable rate.

I actually think that EDM would be the frontrunner to get a deal done with the Sens. They've got the right pieces (young proven NHL players with upside), the 10th overall, an owner willing to pay for the big contract, and the need for a star player.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 05:50 PM
PDO

Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
I think that would be acceptable to EDM fans. Cogliano/Grebs is very similiar to POS/Gilbert, exept Grebs is a RFA wheras Gilbert is signed long term at a reasonable rate.

I actually think that EDM would be the frontrunner to get a deal done with the Sens. They've got the right pieces (young proven NHL players with upside), the 10th overall, an owner willing to pay for the big contract, and the need for a star player.
And Heatley + Hemsky has most Oiler fans ******* in their pants.

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 06:01 PM
speeds

I can see EDM being willing to deal O'Sullivan and one of Grebeshkov/Gilbert, but to add the 10th overall to that is just too much. 10th overall is too good a prospect, will be cheap cap-wise and EDM is tight and could use a player like that in a year or two.

It doesn't make sense to include those two players AND the 10th, they would be better off to move the 2 players in different deals, draft with the 10th, and sign a UFA.

That plan assumes they can sign a UFA, but that may not be unreasonable if they feel like spending this summer.

Also, it depends how quickly OTT moves Heatley, if they move him at all. Things change once July 10th rolls around and most of the top UFA's have signed.

speeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 06:10 PM
AcadiaAxeMan

Send a message via MSN to AcadiaAxeMan Send a message via Yahoo to AcadiaAxeMan
impulsive response .....

Quote:
I decided to make it's own thread for this as the Heatley thread gets cluttered VERY quick and this proposal was getting good reviews.

To Ottawa
2009 1st round pick 10th overall.
Patrick O'Sullivan 2.925M cap hit
Tom Gilbert 4M cap hit.

To Edmonton
Danny Heatley 7.5M cap hit.

Both teams take about the same cap back.

These deals never turn out huge when a player demands to be traded.

O'Sullivan is young and is a really good player.

Plus both players are alot younger than Heater, so Ottawa gains some youth.

This IS a very fair trade IMO!! OTT would think about this very seriously for a player who had 72 pts last year and want out!!

AcadiaAxeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 06:12 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

O'Sullivan isn't THAT young, he's 24.

He was considered expendable in LA and didn't play in Edmonton.

NyQuil is online now   Reply With Quote