HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Who will be #1 next year ? ellis or Rinne ...

Old
06-09-2009, 10:37 AM
Jarb

vCash: 500
Who will be #1 next year ? ellis or Rinne ...

Ellis will have a chance to come back ?

or

Rinne is the real deal ?

Jarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 10:43 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

When you've got a Pekka that big, with a glove that strong, you know you're in good shape.

Rinne.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 11:01 AM
cjerina

I don't think there's much of a question to this.

Rinne.

cjerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 11:30 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Whichver of them earns it. We don't have a great string of luck with second year starters.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 11:37 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Whichver of them earns it. We don't have a great string of luck with second year starters.
couldn't agree more

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 12:00 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Rinne, I don't think Ellis will be on the team next year.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 12:55 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I fully expect Ellis to be dealt, but if he isn't, I still think it is going to be Rinne.

06-09-2009, 01:40 PM
dulzhok

Unless Ellis gets something significant in return, I don't see any reason to deal him.

Rinne was the reason we had a chance last year. Ellis was the main reason we got into the playoffs 2 years ago.

Let's hope Rinne continues his success and stays healthy, but Ellis is cheap insurance if that doesn't happen.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 01:42 PM
Predsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Unless Ellis gets something significant in return, I don't see any reason to deal him.

Rinne was the reason we had a chance last year. Ellis was the main reason we got into the playoffs 2 years ago.

Let's hope Rinne continues his success and stays healthy, but Ellis is cheap insurance if that doesn't happen.
this

Predsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 04:16 PM
skipper49

Yeah, keep the goalie who didn't take your team to the playoffs and trade the one that did! I vote for that!!

skipper49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 04:25 PM
cjerina

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper49 View Post
Yeah, keep the goalie who didn't take your team to the playoffs and trade the one that did! I vote for that!!
I think the difference in the rest of the team resulted in the lack of playoffs more than the goalie.

cjerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 04:30 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
still going on this, huh?

Go ahead, and tell us how Rinne only looked good because he played "the easy games."

Old
06-09-2009, 04:44 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Of course. The team in front of him had nothing to do with it, right? Just like the team in front of Luongo had nothing to do with the Canucks bowing out early. It's all the goalie's fault. We should just sign a goalie and send him out there on his own to win games for us.

Old
06-11-2009, 01:52 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
You've been pimping for Ellis for a while now. We get it. You think he's cute or something. Or went to school with him. Ellis so far has looked to be a solid number two goalie who can be a number one when he's playing his best.

Two years ago, the playoffs? Yeah, have to credit Ellis there. He got RED HOT and helped out big time. But, uh..., you also remember that until the end of the season he was so inconsistent that Trotz was about to pull his remaining hair out and Rinne, a complete ROOK, was being called up to make sure Ellis and Mason weren't in net. Ellis got red hot just in time to save his job.

Now, in 2008-09, Ellis reverted to his 2007-08 form, which is to say he was inconsistent. Rinne won the number one job, fair and square. For Ellis, one red hot stretch and the remaining time in net over two years being fairly average, does not make a number one.

Ellis is a good part time starter. If he ever shows that 2008 red hot save percentage again, he could be a number one. But, Rinne has earned the starts out of the gate. If he slumps, your man Ellis will get another chance. But the thing that makes Ellis inconsistent is rebounds. It's hard to stay hot when you give up too many. Rinne controls them better, so he's less likely to slump.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 05:19 PM
skipper49

Okay I'll bite. So are you guys saying that when Rinne lost it was because the team didn't play well in front of him and Ellis lost because he played poorly? Rinne has alot of promise as a goaltender. He is still young as goalies go and will develop more composure in time. The truth of the matter is his goals against in the last 7 league games was around 3.57. His save% was less than .90 Whose fault is that anyway? Also, many of those goals were scored off of his own rebounds because he had difficulty moving his large frame once he went down AS MOST TALL GOALIES DO. You can put whatever spin you want on things and I don't mind getting into it but let's talk about facts and not rosy-glassed perceptions.
I don't really care if Ellis plays in Nashville next season or not. I imagine he would like to move on to a team that aspires to finish higher than 8th in the league every year. I just can't wait to listen to some of you fumble over your words when Rinne gets usurped by Pickard because the management/coach cares more about the Calder Trophy than they do about getting past the first round.

Old
06-11-2009, 08:39 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
I just can't wait to listen to some of you fumble over your words when Rinne gets usurped by Pickard because the management/coach cares more about the Calder Trophy than they do about getting past the first round.
What has the Predators management/coaching staff done to suggest the notion that Calder Trophies are more important than playoff success?

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 10:52 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
What has the Predators management/coaching staff done to suggest the notion that Calder Trophies are more important than playoff success?
it's his rationalization for why they would possibly have played Rinne over Ellis.

Old
06-11-2009, 11:49 PM
Webersmashpuck

vCash: 1088
Quote:
Okay I'll bite. So are you guys saying that when Rinne lost it was because the team didn't play well in front of him and Ellis lost because he played poorly? Rinne has alot of promise as a goaltender. He is still young as goalies go and will develop more composure in time. The truth of the matter is his goals against in the last 7 league games was around 3.57. His save% was less than .90 Whose fault is that anyway? Also, many of those goals were scored off of his own rebounds because he had difficulty moving his large frame once he went down AS MOST TALL GOALIES DO. You can put whatever spin you want on things and I don't mind getting into it but let's talk about facts and not rosy-glassed perceptions.
I don't really care if Ellis plays in Nashville next season or not. I imagine he would like to move on to a team that aspires to finish higher than 8th in the league every year. I just can't wait to listen to some of you fumble over your words when Rinne gets usurped by Pickard because the management/coach cares more about the Calder Trophy than they do about getting past the first round.

2.38 GAA and .917 SVV pct for Rinne is a fact. 2.93 GAA and .9 SVV for Ellis is another fact. Rinne was the better goalie last year. You mention how those numbers went down in his last 7 games. You forgot to mention that Pekka started in about 25 games in a row at that point and while you MAY be right fatigue is a likely factor as it was his rookie year and he has to run the gauntlet. Also since you are talking about Rinne losing the job already, Chris Mason was supposed to take Vokoun's spot after the sale of the team, he was in our system for years and the coaches had faith in him. Ellis was kind of a monkey wrench as Mason was supposed to be the starter for a year or two then Rinne would be eased in. This is great because Ellis would have never been discovered otherwise, but while he was not all that bad this year Rinne was much better and Im sure Dan himself would say that.

Now we all know you are likely a Dan Ellis fan from Iowa or back in Canada or something. Most of us here like Dan, and would love for him to be our back up. With our money situation, his name is getting thrown around because he could be a starter somewhere and get us something in return, if not then we be upset if somehow Rinne falters but we know we have a capable guy.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 06:13 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Rinne is a big goalie that cuts down on angles and leaves few rebounds. He also has a pretty good glove.

Ellis is an athletic goalie, leaves a ton or rebounds some controlled some not that handles the puck well. He also has a good glove.

Rinne's style of play will always be more consistant than Ellis but when Ellis is hot he's exciting. The problem is when he's cold he's not very good.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 08:50 PM
echlfreak

Keep Rinne, trade Ellis and let the cycle continue. Done argument

echlfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 02:24 PM
dulzhok

Can somone confirm Rinne is a UFA after next season?

If so, we seriously need to sign him this offseason.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 08:19 PM
skipper49

Dudes - first of all, being so consumed by the identity of bloggers is a sure sign that you are spending too much time on the Boards. Makes me wonder if you are one of those thousands of people who are online when they are suppose to be working.....
Let me remind you that in the pre-fire sale at the end of the 07-08 season Trotzy didn't have to worry about pulling his goalie when the team sucked, he just switched up the lines. When Vokoun got injured Mason went in and did very well with one of the best teams in the league in front of him. What has Trotzy done the last two seasons when the team got into trouble? - pulled the goalie. Hell he even did it to Mason and Ellis after only two goals were scored against them. THAT'S his only coaching move as we so often witnessed over the last two years. If they trade Ellis and get a 2nd or 3rd line forward, do you think that will stop him from pulling the goalie when the team sucks? NOPE. When his hook arm starts to twitch in the 63rd day of the season, Pekka has let in 2 goals on 4 shots against San Jose, will Drew MacIntyre pull out a win for the Preds? Think about it because that is a very plausible scenario and you know it. When you pay out around 1.4million for your goalies, guess what- you get 1.4million dollars worth of goaltending. Good luck with that!!

Old
06-14-2009, 09:06 PM
Predatorbill

vCash: 50
We should have learned by now, that we need to keep both of these goalies. I think that Rinne will be the real deal, but what happens if he is not, or he gets hurt. Do we really want to start next season in the hole again?

Predatorbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 09:36 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predatorbill View Post
We should have learned by now, that we need to keep both of these goalies. I think that Rinne will be the real deal, but what happens if he is not, or he gets hurt. Do we really want to start next season in the hole again?
If Rinne plays poorly and we trade Ellis, we have no backup and we're screwed.

If Rinne plays poorly and we put Ellis in, he continues to play inconsistently between the pipes and we're screwed.

Our goaltending situation is dependent entirely on Rinne, and we sink or swim with him.

Old
06-14-2009, 10:39 PM
echlfreak

well worstfaceoff easy solution..trade Ellis as you are screwed with him or not and get a draft pick then you are at least ahead come June 2010

It doesn't matter all this talk about Rinne and Ellis, they are not the reason for the teams losses over the last season. This team lacks the ability to score goals 5 on 5 and especially on the power play. You have guys like Legwand a career high 20 goals last season and aging vets like Arnott and Dumont leading the way. If Weber doesn't score the amount that he did last season...in the first half only, then this team doesn't make 10th let alone 8th.

History says that Ellis will be traded and Rinne will lose his spot to whoever and then worstfaceoff then you can start saying how bad Rinne is and BLANK is the next god to be, just like you did when Ellis took Mason's spot a year ago.

The only thing that could have helped the Predators is if Blackberry Jim bought the team and took them to a real hockey market, then they would pack the house, change the coach to someone who has won more than 10 playoff games in 10 years and bring in the players that can score oppose to playing with 3 top 6 forwards.

Skipper49 just chill. Ellis had an off year, it's only his second season and you can't expect miracles from a young goalie. He should be dealt simply based on his dollar amount and Rinne earned his spot. Use that $ towards a forward, back up or replacement for Zanon.

Nashville is forever going to be mediocre, because they can't afford anything different. And the current owners are not looking to lose millions like Craig L.

Argument Over Again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by SmokeyClause: 06-15-2009 at 07:34 AM.
echlfreak is offline   Reply With Quote