HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers need star... plus more ( LArry Brooks)

Old
06-09-2009, 11:25 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
The thing is Cammalleri isn't a health risk, and of the same offensive talent than Gaborik.
I certainly agree with your first point. I couldnt disagree more with the second.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 11:30 AM
Hockey2000nyr

Quote:
The thing is Cammalleri isn't a health risk, and of the same offensive talent than Gaborik.
cammalleri isnt a health risk like you said, gaborik has had a chronic problem with his hip/groin, which the surgery he had to repair the labrum is supposed to fix.

now you honestly think Cammalleri is on the same talent field as Gaborik? <----im honestly doing that right now to that comment. Gaborik is an elite talent in this league. He has the ability to completely take over games, (I.E. 5 goals against us a couple of years back) Cammalleri can score yes, but also Cammalleri has played in offensive systems his whole career, Gaborik has spent his entire career in Jacques Lemaire's system and still managed to be mostly a point per game player in the last couple of years. just the thought of what Gaborik could be in an Offensive system makes me highly interested in a guy like him despite his past injuries.

Gaborik<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<------------------Cammalleri

i take Gaborik over Cammalleri any day of the week

Hockey2000nyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 11:46 AM
NYR Viper

I would take Gaborik at 6 million/season for 6 years IF Sather can find a way to move one of Gomez/Drury AND one of Redden/Rozsval. If he can only move one, I dont want a peice of him because it would have the possibility of just replacing one bad contract with another.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 11:59 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Looks like Dany Heatley may be available

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/...name=hradek_ej

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 12:02 PM
94now

I remember LB passionately calling for signing Bobby Holik...

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 12:21 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

The truth regarding Gaborik is that only he knows how willing he is to be able to live up to a long-term deal. If he takes a one-year deal like Hossa, he may think he'll get hurt again and again and cost him millions in the open market next year.

Two reasons why I think Gaborik will not get heavily recruited:

1) Hossa and the Sedins are better options and more durable. Why spend 35-40 million on a guy made of paper when you can get playoff-tested two-way scorer for the same money.

2) 2010 is a much better year for UFA's, and with the cap going down even further, teams would probably be more inclined to wait it out until 2010 to throw around a mega deal. Nash, Kovalchuk, Jokinnen, Frolov and Savard are all better options than Gaborik

So if the Rangers can convince Gaborik to sign a one-year deal for 6 million or less, it is too tough for Sather to pass up. Plus, if he stinks, you can always unload him at the deadline to a playoff/cup contender for draft picks because of his UFA status in 2010

So the casualties of a Gaborik signing would probably be Zherdev and Antropov, which is something I could live with. That is, if we cant unload Gomez, Drury or Roszival. If Sather can find a way to get rid of one of them, I would have a problem if they offered gaborik 1 or 2 million more

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 12:40 PM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

vCash: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Looks like Dany Heatley may be available
Don't get your hopes up too much. Dany has a NMC, so he gets to pick where they trade him, and supposedly he wants out west.

Not to mention any offer we made would be contingent on being able to get rid of at least one of Gomez/Drury/Redden.

And then, Heatley will return a good package. You'd be looking at losing a decent chunk of assets, probably MDZ + 1st 09 + roster players. I can guarantee they will ask for Staal, Ottawa needs defense.

I don't think we have the spare assets to pull the deal off unless Ottawa has a hardon for Rosy (keep dreaming).

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 02:27 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Gaborik: .436 G/G .871P/G
Cammalleri: .363 G/G .788P/G

Cammalleri isnt even in the same stratosphere as Gaborik offensively.....when healthy...and hes had 10000000 times better supporting casts in his career than Gaborik has.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 02:46 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers08wedabest View Post
Forget Mike Cammalleri, a nice player who is going to get way too much money as a free agent. Forget acquiring Jonathan Cheechoo, who has had two consecutive bad seasons. Forget Brian Gionta, who belongs on the other side of the river. Forget B players.
...Forget trying to solve this team's problems with free agents, it hasn't worked so far. Free agents are good for complimenting not building a team around.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 02:55 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Gaborik: .436 G/G .871P/G
Cammalleri: .363 G/G .788P/G

Cammalleri isnt even in the same stratosphere as Gaborik offensively.....when healthy...and hes had 10000000 times better supporting casts in his career than Gaborik has.
Granted, like you said, when healthy. You also have to take into account of with who and where those players played. However, I wouldnt be totally opposed to Cammalleri if he took about 5 million/season(which he will not). Gaborik I would go as far as 5.5-6 million/season. I am pretty sure other teams will offer both of those players much more.

Old
06-09-2009, 02:58 PM
battlerex99

Hey if we were able to move Gomez and perhaps stash Redden in the AHL, then we could re-sign Antropov, Zherdev, and sign Gaborik. That lineup would be a lot more fearsome:

Antropov Drury - Gaborik
Avery - Dubinsky -Zherdev
Sjostrom - Anisimov - Callahan
Byers - Korpikoski Betts

Staal Girardi
Sauer Roszival
Mara - Sanguinetti

I think that lineup could really score goals.

battlerex99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 03:28 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Granted, like you said, when healthy. You also have to take into account of with who and where those players played. However, I wouldnt be totally opposed to Cammalleri if he took about 5 million/season(which he will not). Gaborik I would go as far as 5.5-6 million/season. I am pretty sure other teams will offer both of those players much more.
id give Camm 5-5.5 per, no more. i think hes a bit overrated. Id give gaborik 7 years at 6.5-7 per right now without a seconds hesitation.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 05:46 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
id give Camm 5-5.5 per, no more. i think hes a bit overrated. Id give gaborik 7 years at 6.5-7 per right now without a seconds hesitation.
I think that is a bit high for Gaborik. He hasnt proven he can stay healthy, although if the Rangers doctors and training staff think the surgery fixed everything then I wouldnt mind that deal. It all depends on his future health.

Old
06-10-2009, 02:47 AM
danaluvsthekings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio Africanus View Post
2) 2010 is a much better year for UFA's, and with the cap going down even further, teams would probably be more inclined to wait it out until 2010 to throw around a mega deal. Nash, Kovalchuk, Jokinen, Frolov and Savard are all better options than Gaborik
While you might think that those guys are all better options, there's a couple of problems with the theory of waiting to see who might be available in 2010.

All those players you listed might be better options, but they also can't talk extensions with their teams until July 1, 2009. So the Rangers (or any other team) can say they're planning on passing on the 2009 class because 2010 holds better options, but by the time the 09-10 season starts, those players may already be re-signed with their teams. Or they could be moved at the deadline and sign with their new teams. There's no guarantee any of those players makes it to UFA status. While it looks good now when you've listed 5 players as potential targets, maybe only 2 of them make it to UFA status, making them a lot harder to sign.

The cap is supposed to be either the same or drop a few mil next season with another big drop for the 2010-11 season. As a player, waiting to be a UFA could be a dangerous game. Teams might find themselves really hurting for cap space in the summer of 2010, severely limiting either the number of teams, quality destinations, and money that's available. If a player is happy where he is and gets a fair offer he might be more willing to re-sign, rather than gamble on what could be a very bad free agent market. It's easy to be a free agent when the salary cap is going up, players aren't going to enjoy being a free agent in a year when the cap is going to remain flat or drop.

danaluvsthekings is offline   Reply With Quote