HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ottawa-San Jose (Yes, Heatley)

Old
06-10-2009, 10:13 AM
Captain_Cunney

vCash: 500
How about:

To SJ:
Heater
Zubov

To Ott:
Clowe
Ehroff
Couture

Captain_Cunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 10:30 AM
Nashology

The original deal is something I could live with. MM is one of my favourite sharks ever...but I could live with upgrading to Heatley!

Nashology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 11:06 AM
Rickety Cricket

The more I think about, any trade would destroy the Sharks cap wise.

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 01:14 PM
matt trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
Where's Doug Murray w/ his $2.5M cap hit?

Like Pinkfloyd said - I don't think that Sharks should have that top-heavy of a team. If not included in the trade, the Sharks would almost certainly have to get rid of Marleau after next year. I'd think the Sharks would have to have some deal where they could get value for him, if not in a deal for Heatley, then somewhere else this off-season.
Quote:
Total=~57 million. So despite moving Ehrhoff, Murray, Cheechoo, and Michalek and adding only Heatley and Moen, the team still is over the cap.
In bold. I think it is unrealistic Doug trades him since he just signed that deal, but it just goes to show SJ would need to move a ton to get Heatley on the team, and would lost a major piece the following year.

matt trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 02:18 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
I don't see a major advantage taking him over Gilbert, other than the 0.9M cap hit you save. He's been sheltered defensively with SJS, and enjoys the services of Boyle as his PP partner. I doubt he'd hit 40 with Ottawa.
Christian Ehrhoff rarely, if ever, paired with Dan Boyle even on the power play. Generally, the Sharks power play had a Dan Boyle and Rob Blake pairing with Vlasic and Ehrhoff as the 2nd pairing. It's also proven that the Sharks power play was more effective with Ehrhoff out moreso than any other defenseman. Ehrhoff is not fully playing to his offensive potential but a consistent 40 point defenseman is what he should be if the system isn't completely conservative as it was under Ron Wilson.

Ehrhoff would hit 40 with Ottawa and would improve Ottawa's power play percentage by a good 2 or 3 points. He's the team's most skilled defenseman. If anybody's been sheltered in terms of productivity, it's Vlasic with Blake. Ehrhoff was generally playing with Murray and covering his ass a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
I'd also take Clowe and Michalek and a 2nd rounder in lieu of Ehrhoff.
This premise is probably the only way it'll work for the Sharks cap-wise. If the Senators accepted a trade that did not involve either Vlasic or Ehrhoff there would be a lot better possibility for the Sharks to make it work under the cap. If we assume your trade as the one that is accepted, the Sharks would likely look like this afterwards...

Heatley(7.5)-Thornton(7.2)-Setoguchi(1.25)
Marleau(6.3)-Pavelski(1.64)-McGinn(1)
Goc(850k)-Mitchell(1)-Roenick(1)
Shelley(725k)/Staubitz(500k)-Plihal(500k)-FA/AHL'er roughly around 500k/extra 500k

Boyle(6.67)-Lukowich(1.57)
Vlasic(3.1)-Ehrhoff(3.1)
Moore(1)-Joslin(517k)
Semenov(700k)

Nabokov(5.4)-Boucher/Greiss(650k)

Total: 53 mil and change. This also assumes that Jonathan Cheechoo and Douglas Murray are dealt for assets not counting against the cap. Conceivably, you can trade them for cheap pro players to improve the 4th line and the 3rd pairing. Douglas Murray could be dealt to Philly for Arron Asham and Cheechoo to Carolina for Wallin. Not trying to make those deals seem acceptable...just using them as an example. That kind of deal or trade for picks and pick them up in UFA.

It can be done only this way. If Ottawa requires one of the two defensemen, the deal cannot be made. This is simply because there's no replacements available on the free agent market for the defensemen the Sharks would be losing.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 02:29 PM
Patty Ice
Best in the World

Send a message via AIM to Patty Ice Send a message via MSN to Patty Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
It's also proven that the Sharks power play was more effective with Ehrhoff out moreso than any other defenseman..
I believe you mean less.

06-10-2009, 02:35 PM
Vaasa

vCash: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Ice View Post
I believe you mean less.
No, he means more. There was discussion of this several weeks ago and someone ran the stats. The Sharks power-play was at its most effective whenever Ehrhoff was on the ice. There was a noticable drop-off in effectiveness when he wasn't.

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 02:36 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
I don't see a major advantage taking him over Gilbert, other than the 0.9M cap hit you save. He's been sheltered defensively with SJS, and enjoys the services of Boyle as his PP partner. I doubt he'd hit 40 with Ottawa.
wat.

Old
06-10-2009, 02:41 PM
Chea*

How about

Heatley FOR Michalek, Erhoff & Logan Couture.

Chea* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 02:50 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by no dice View Post
How about

your user name is my response.

Old
06-10-2009, 02:51 PM
Juice*

Quote:
How about

ewwwwwwwww
i dont think Ottawa should trade with SJ...they seem to have many of the same problems....

Juice* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 02:57 PM
Chea*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murderin Murphy View Post
your user name is my response.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice View Post
ewwwwwwwww
i dont think Ottawa should trade with SJ...they seem to have many of the same problems....
Both fans hate it. Sounds like it's a deal.

I guess that's typical HF. Fans of other teams like SJ will want to get Heatley for their crap like Cheechoo, whereas Sen fans will be expecting a king's ransom in return.

Old
06-10-2009, 03:00 PM
caliamad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murderin Murphy View Post
The more I think about, any trade would destroy the Sharks cap wise.
yep, its exactly why the ducks wouldn't want to do it.

A player who makes 7.5 million is an extremely dangerous investment.

You'd have ~15 million tied up in 2 forwards. Just bad use of resources if you ask me (unless their names are Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Crosby, Maklin, or Getzlaf).

caliamad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 03:10 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:

I guess that's typical HF. Fans of other teams like SJ will want to get Heatley for their crap like Cheechoo, whereas Sen fans will be expecting a king's ransom in return.
Sharks don't do it because they can't fill the holes left behind and keep it under the cap. Has little to do with the value. Try again.

Old
06-10-2009, 03:17 PM
Chea*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Sharks don't do it because they can't fill the holes left behind and keep it under the cap. Has little to do with the value. Try again.
What does it really matter? You guys are in win-now mode anyway, since you've traded most of your 1st round picks away in the last 3 or 4 years. Why not go for the big payoff and hope JT and Heatley tear up the West.

Old
06-10-2009, 03:51 PM
Patty Ice
Best in the World

Send a message via AIM to Patty Ice Send a message via MSN to Patty Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
No, he means more. There was discussion of this several weeks ago and someone ran the stats. The Sharks power-play was at its most effective whenever Ehrhoff was on the ice. There was a noticable drop-off in effectiveness when he wasn't.
Maybe it was worded weirdly but I took it as when Ehrhoff was out (injured) the power play was more effective. Now I realize he may have meant when he is out on the ice.

Patty Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 04:07 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:

Nice assumption there chief, the reason I'm saying no is adding Heatley is going to cripple the Sharks cap-wise now and down the road

Old
06-10-2009, 04:30 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
What does it really matter? You guys are in win-now mode anyway, since you've traded most of your 1st round picks away in the last 3 or 4 years. Why not go for the big payoff and hope JT and Heatley tear up the West.
What does it really matter? Are you kidding me? You're talking about adding a $7.5M committment to a team that already has 4 highly paid players (JT, PM, DB, DN). If they add Heatley, there is NO chance they keep Marleau next year - then where are they? In a very similiar situation to where OTT is right now - a one line team w/ 3 great players.

Even though they've traded 1st round DP's, they still have some very nice prospects (Petrecki, Couture, etc) coming through the pipeline.

People have to realize that it's not just "$7.5M in for Heatley, $7.5M out for 3 players, including a top 4 forward, a top 6 LW'er, and a NHL ready prospect". In the Sharks case, Heatley would replace Michalek's minutes, and then they'd have to get have a defenseman ready to get top 4 minutes that is making the league minimum. That's just not going to happen.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 04:47 PM
allworldcaucasn*

Send a message via AIM to allworldcaucasn*
Quote:
What does it really matter? Are you kidding me? You're talking about adding a $7.5M committment to a team that already has 4 highly paid players (JT, PM, DB, DN). If they add Heatley, there is NO chance they keep Marleau next year - then where are they? In a very similiar situation to where OTT is right now - a one line team w/ 3 great players.

What are you talking about? The Sharks are looking to trade Marleau and others, as he needs and change of scenery and the team needs a shakeup. The right deal comes along, and this team can shed 10 million overnight.

Don't fool yourselves, east-coast Shark illiterates, the Sharks have the trade assets to make a deal and still have a Presidents trophy worthy team.

And who is DN? You mean EN?

Last edited by allworldcaucasn*: 06-10-2009 at 04:55 PM.
allworldcaucasn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 05:03 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Win-now mode doesn't mean the team is exempt from having to stay under the cap. Bringing in Dany Heatley if it costs the Sharks Christian Ehrhoff means they're out him and Rob Blake on the blue line. Meaning, the Sharks will have the same small amount of cap space but one other critical area to address w/o any space to do so.

JT and Heatley may very well tear up the West but with nobody but Vlasic or Ehrhoff and Boyle on the blue line, who are they going to stop from scoring? Fire-wagon hockey doesn't work anymore and teams w/o a very solid core of defensemen will not win the Stanley Cup.

Old
06-10-2009, 05:12 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJfortheCUP View Post
What are you talking about? The Sharks are looking to trade Marleau and others, as he needs and change of scenery and the team needs a shakeup. The right deal comes along, and this team can shed 10 million overnight.

Don't fool yourselves, east-coast Shark illiterates, the Sharks have the trade assets to make a deal and still have a Presidents trophy worthy team.

And who is DN? You mean EN?
You're right on DN should have been EN for Nabakov.

I understand that the Sharks could cut a ton of salary (Marleau $6.5M, Cheechoo $3.5M, Murray $2.5M, etc), and have the assets to trade for Heatley if they want to. That being said - I don't think that you can say "Michalek + Erhoff= $7.+M, Heatley= $7.5M - even salary, deal done!".

Sure, if DW has a deal in his back pocket where he can flip Marleau or Cheechoo for a top 4 d-man, or just assets with a low cap hit and then sign Ohlund or the equivelant, that's fine. I just think it's insane to trade a guy you're looking at getting 22-25 minutes on the blueline without a plan (and capspace) to replace him.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 05:20 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
You're right on DN should have been EN for Nabakov.

I understand that the Sharks could cut a ton of salary (Marleau $6.5M, Cheechoo $3.5M, Murray $2.5M, etc), and have the assets to trade for Heatley if they want to. That being said - I don't think that you can say "Michalek + Erhoff= $7.+M, Heatley= $7.5M - even salary, deal done!".

Sure, if DW has a deal in his back pocket where he can flip Marleau or Cheechoo for a top 4 d-man, or just assets with a low cap hit and then sign Ohlund or the equivelant, that's fine. I just think it's insane to trade a guy you're looking at getting 22-25 minutes on the blueline without a plan (and capspace) to replace him.
I agree, couple of small corrections though: Marleau's cap hit is $6.3 and Cheechoo's is $3