HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

This Leblanc Obsession

Old
06-10-2009, 09:17 AM
Montreal Typical

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
a Harvard experience could be a lifelong asset.
The only thing going to Harvard does for him is give him the "right" to brag about going there. It's a good university, but he won't really get a better education there than he would in any other good university. Reputation is the only special thing about Harvard.

But it could be an asset only if his employers are dumb enough to believe hiring a Harvard graduate would be better than hiring someone who studied elsewhere.

Montreal Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 09:38 AM
Marco Corleone

Habs wont have a 1st rd pick. Going to TB in a deal to land Vinnie.

Marco Corleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 09:47 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReVeuF View Post
All i know is Leblanc was drafted 1st overall in the Quebec junior league, he might be good
I guess you don't know much, he was drafted 18th overall in the 2007 QMJHL draft because he was headed NCAA.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 09:59 AM
vad87

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyReb View Post
You guys act like he’s going to play in some backwater, no-hockey hick-town. He’s going to a Division I program and school, where he will play against other top schools. There are at least four other NHL-drafted players on his team. He’ll be coached by:

* Ted Donato: Long time NHL player, currently setting coaching records for Harvard.

* Sean McCann: Former Hobey Baker finalist, first overall pick in the NHL supplemental draft (1994, Florida), played over 500 games in the IHL (where he was rookie of the year) and AHL.

* Patrick Foley: Former assistant coach for the USNTD (where he coached, amongst many others, Pat Kane and James Van Riemsdyke) and assistant coach of the U-18 team that won gold for Team USA in 2006.

It’s a solid coaching staff.

I also don’t get this “he needs to be turning pro much quicker” philosophy. By that logic all 14 year olds should be playing in the AHL, “so they can develop quicker.” It makes no sense. You play them at the level they are able to play at, there is ZERO point in putting them in over their head. They’ll develop at their own pace. Look at the Detroit Red Wings – do they do a lousy job of developing? Do they rush everyone into the AHL or NHL as quick as they can??

As for the Chris Higgins comparisons, as usual HF’s has such a bloated evaluation of draft picks that it’s incredible. We’re picking 18th!! Check out the 18th-30th pick in any draft and most teams would be thrilled with a Chris Higgins at that spot. Sure, there are ALWAYS the one or two players that everbody missed that become instant stars, but everybody misses them for a reason. Heck, Louis Leblanc could be that guy for all we know. Even if you compare this draft to 2003, one of the greatest drafts of all time, a Chris Higgins would have fit in pretty well amongst the 18th-30th picks:

18) Eric Fehr
19) Ryan Getzlaf
20) Brent Burns
21) Mark Stuart
22) Marc-Antoine Pouliot
23) Ryan Kessler
24) Mike Richards
25) Anthony Stewart
26) Brian Boyle
27) Jeff Tambellini
28) Corey Perry
29) Patrick Eaves
30) Shawn Belle

Of the 13 players taken in one of the greatest first rounds of all time, only THREE players who would have been available at pick 18 (Getzlaf, Richards, Perry) are better than Chris Higgins. THREE!! Sure, I’d take Getzlaf over Higgins, but I’d take Higgins over Pouiliot, Stewart, Boyle Eaves and Belle, and so would any GM in their right mind. You guys act like getting a Getzlaf or Richards at 18 is a sure thing. It wasn’t in 2003, and it certainly isn’t now.

If we can get a 25 goal, 55-65 point, defensively reliable center at pick 18, who by all accounts has a tremendous work ethic and outstanding character, and who oh yeah happens to be very smart, bilingual, and a life-long Habs fan, I for one would be ecstatic. That's captain material, if you ask me.
You're trying to tell me that you take Higgins over Kesler and Burns??

vad87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 10:09 AM
JohnnyReb

Quote:
Originally Posted by vad87 View Post
You're trying to tell me that you take Higgins over Kesler and Burns??

Probably, yeah. Maybe not Burns, but definitely Kesler, who let's face it, is pretty much the same player as Higgins.

The difference is Higgins got caught up in the party atmosphere in Montreal, and didn't have anybody to pull him out of it. Are you telling me Chris Higgins, with strong and capable coaching, along with veteran leadership, wouldn't be a great two-way player? How good would Higgins be in Detroit, or heck, Vancouver, with Babcock or Vigneault coaching him in a real system, as opposed to Carbonneau's "system?"

The problem isn't Higgins. It's the way Higgins was developed.

JohnnyReb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 10:20 AM
vad87

Quote:
Probably, yeah. Maybe not Burns, but definitely Kesler, who let's face it, is pretty much the same player as Higgins.

The difference is Higgins got caught up in the party atmosphere in Montreal, and didn't have anybody to pull him out of it. Are you telling me Chris Higgins, with strong and capable coaching, along with veteran leadership, wouldn't be a great two-way player? How good would Higgins be in Detroit, or heck, Vancouver, with Babcock or Vigneault coaching him in a real system, as opposed to Carbonneau's "system?"

The problem isn't Higgins. It's the way Higgins was developed.
Maybe but the result is that Higgins, whatever the reason, is a 3rd line player on our team. I really hope that we could do better with our pick this year and have a real offensive player who'll play on top line or 2nd line. Not a ''great'' two-way player who'll play on the 3rd or 4th line with Glen ''The great'' Metropolit and Dandenault. I remember when Higgins was drafted, we were told that he'll be a very good 3rd line player, just like what we heard with Chipchura. Now, we need to hear that the guy, if he reachs his potential, we'll be a force in the league and a top line player. That's the difference.

Old
06-10-2009, 10:26 AM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

not saying this will happen with Leblanc, but Mike Richards in 2003 was never tought as a futur first line center, he was ranked 30th in CSS final ranking. was tought as a futur 3rd liner (maybe 2nd liner) leader/captain material

looking back if we would have draft him with the 10th pick everyone here would have gone crazy and called timmins an idiot but now Timmins will have look like a genius.

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 10:36 AM
JohnnyReb

Quote:
Maybe but the result is that Higgins, whatever the reason, is a 3rd line player on our team. I really hope that we could do better with our pick this year and have a real offensive player who'll play on top line or 2nd line. Not a ''great'' two-way player who'll play on the 3rd or 4th line with Glen ''The great'' Metropolit and Dandenault. I remember when Higgins was drafted, we were told that he'll be a very good 3rd line player, just like what we heard with Chipchura. Now, we need to hear that the guy, if he reachs his potential, we'll be a force in the league and a top line player. That's the difference.
And my point remains; if it were that easy to find that type of guy at 18, everyone would be doing it.

But the fact is if a guy falls to 18 it's because most teams don't think he is automatically going to be that top line, force in the league. If they did, they'd snatch him up way before then. When you start drafting lower in the round you have to hope you either see something in somebody that nobody else sees (as Markov points out, maybe they see first line material in Leblanc (or whoever) where everybody else sees "2nd and 3rd liner."), or that you get one of the best guys at that point anyways. If the 18th pick is a great two-way player, and picks 19-30 are busts, then shouldn't we be happy? Everybody is sooo disappointed in Higgins, but would you rather have Jesse Nitimaki (sp?) instead?

Again, if he's going to be a 100 point MVP candidate, and everybody knows it, he ain't going to last until 18th...

I am loathe to quote Pierre McGuire, but as he always says, "manage the expectations..."

Last edited by JohnnyReb: 06-10-2009 at 10:50 AM.
JohnnyReb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 10:52 AM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Just purely my opinion on the matter..and if you want to ***** about it go ahead, I could care less.

If his name was Lewis Smith and he was from Ontario, there would hardly be any mention of him at all on here.

You may not like it, but you know it's the truth weather you want to admit it or not.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 10:58 AM
vad87

Quote:
And my point remains; if it were that easy to find that type of guy at 18, everyone would be doing it.

But the fact is if a guy falls to 18 it's because most teams don't think he is automatically going to be that top line, force in the league. If they did, they'd snatch him up way before then. When you start drafting lower in the round you have to hope you either see something in somebody that nobody else sees (as Markov points out, maybe they see first line material in Leblanc (or whoever) where everybody else sees "2nd and 3rd liner."), or that you get one of the best guys at that point anyways. If the 18th pick is a great two-way player, and picks 19-30 are busts, then shouldn't we be happy? Everybody is sooo disappointed in Higgins, but would you rather have Jesse Nitimaki (sp?) instead?

Again, if he's going to be a 100 point MVP candidate, and everybody knows it, he ain't going to last until 18th...

I am loathe to quote Pierre McGuire, but as he always says, "manage the expectations..."
I'm happy with Higgins's pick in 2002, but what I'm telling you is that the 2009 draft is much more stronger and deeper than the 2002. If we draft a guy like Higgins with our 18th this year, I'll be disspointed. But back to 2002, it's a very good pick. I have the feeling that in the 2009 draft, there's a lot of guy who'll be available at 18th, who'll be better than Higgins. I never questionned that pick since 2002, but this year, even if some 1st round guy will butst, it's a stronger 1st round.

Old
06-10-2009, 10:58 AM
LyleOdelein

Quote:

I think that this is a point that gets lost in a lot of our draft discussion. Everybody thinks that a deep draft means that there are a ton of players that will be top players in the league, which is not necessarily the case. This will probably only get worse as the amazing 2003 crop continues to distort everybody's perspective.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 10:59 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Just purely my opinion on the matter..and if you want to ***** about it go ahead, I could care less.

If his name was Lewis Smith and he was from Ontario, there would hardly be any mention of him at all on here.

You may not like it, but you know it's the truth weather you want to admit it or not.
If Scott Glennie's name was Marc Tremblay from Montreal, The love fest would be waaayyyyyyyy bigger, that's for sure.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 11:03 AM
CraigDarby*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
If Scott Glennie's name was Marc Tremblay from Montreal, The love fest would be waaayyyyyyyy bigger, that's for sure.
Well obviously.. because Scott Glennie is a much better player than Leblanc.

CraigDarby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 11:05 AM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Quote:
its because Glennie won't be available at 18th im the biggest Leblanc fan on this board but if both of Glennie and Leblanc are available at 18th i pick Glennie

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 11:07 AM
BlackMarvel

Quote:
Thing is man nobody would complain if Glennie actually falls to the 18th. I'm pretty sure that if most of the people on the board had to chooser between him and leblanc they would pick Glennie without even thinking about it. Problem is he's bound to be picked in the top 15...

BlackMarvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 11:11 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMarvel View Post
Thing is man nobody would complain if Glennie actually falls to the 18th. I'm pretty sure that if most of the people on the board had to chooser between him and leblanc they would pick Glennie without even thinking about it. Problem is he's bound to be picked in the top 15...
Thus my reasoning.... lol

God i hope we trade up to get him. He's exactly what we need.

Old
06-10-2009, 11:19 AM
vad87

IMO

Leblanc vs Glennie : Glennie
Leblanc vs Kadri : Kadri
Leblanc vs Josefson : Josefson
Leblanc vs Kassian : Leblanc
Leblanc vs Ashton : equal
Leblanc vs Kreider : Kreider
Leblanc vs Ferraro : Leblanc
Leblanc vs Holland : Holland
Leblanc vs Palmieri : Little advantage to Leblanc but Palmieri had pretty good combine wich isn't the case of Leblanc
Leblanc vs Caron : Leblanc
Leblanc vs Shore : Shore
Leblanc vs Morin : Morin
Leblanc vs Budish : Leblanc

Old
06-10-2009, 11:27 AM
Le depisteur

Here's the average ranking of The Hockey News, ISS and McKeen's:

1 John Tavares
2 Victor Hedman
3 Matt Duchene
4 Evander Kane
5 Brayden Schenn
6 Jared Cowen
7 Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson
8 Nazem Kadri
9 Oliver Ekman-Larsson
10 Dmitri Kulikov
11 Jordan Schroeder
12 Ryan Ellis
13 Jacob Josefson
14 John Moore
15 Scott Glennie
16 Zack Kassian
17 David Rundblad
18 Louis Leblanc

Le depisteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 11:29 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post

And just my opinion as well, if his name was Lewis Smith, and if he was from Ontario, nobody would have started a thread calling him "an obsession" and nobody would have responded the way some did about how bad he is suppose to be without having seen him once. Goes both ways. The love for Quebec born players just equal the hate for it. How's one better than the other?

I happen to like him 'cause contrary to most people here who are big experts on him without having seen him play once, I've watched at least 10 ish games from him watching him and Kristo in the process. While I am bias towards Q products, I'm still able to analyse them. And I will only like a Q players if in the end he's a good hockey player. Like everybody that likes Q players are doing. Again, I wish that this false debate of Q players no matter what would stop 'cause please find me 1 single poster who would like to have more Q players NO MATTER HOW GOOD THEY ARE.

You won't find any.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 11:29 AM
Le depisteur

Quote:
IMO

Leblanc vs Glennie : Glennie
Leblanc vs Kadri : Kadri
Leblanc vs Josefson : Josefson
Leblanc vs Kassian : Leblanc
Leblanc vs Ashton : equal Disagree
Leblanc vs Kreider : Kreider Disagree
Leblanc vs Ferraro : Leblanc
Leblanc vs Holland : Holland Disagree
Leblanc vs Palmieri : Little advantage to Leblanc but Palmieri had pretty good combine wich isn't the case of Leblanc
Leblanc vs Caron : Leblanc
Leblanc vs Shore : Shore Disagree
Leblanc vs Morin : Morin Disagree
Leblanc vs Budish : Leblanc
Disagree

Old
06-10-2009, 11:31 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le depisteur View Post
Disagree
BPA, you take Leblanc over Holland?

Old
06-10-2009, 11:37 AM
vad87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le depisteur View Post
Disagree
I really think that Morin's gonna be a stal in this draft. The guy is a pure scoring machine. He scored all year long with U18 USPD and at the WHC U18 he scored 6 goals in 7 games. A lot people say that, behind Tavares, he's the best sniper. If I remember, we need a guy to put the damn puck in the net. He's also going to Kitchener next year and that's a great move by him. I'm sure he'll finish among the best scorer next year in OHL.

Old
06-10-2009, 11:40 AM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
And just my opinion as well, if his name was Lewis Smith, and if he was from Ontario, nobody would have started a thread calling him "an obsession" and nobody would have responded the way some did about how bad he is suppose to be without having seen him once. Goes both ways. The love for Quebec born players just equal the hate for it. How's one better than the other?
I see the point you're trying to make, but you also have to think that if his name was Lewis Smith there would be less talk of him..so in turn there wouldn't be a thread titled "an obsession."

I know my comments can offend some people, but honestly it's the truth. You admit that you're biased towards Q players, but I don't understand why. It doesn't matter where they're from. I'm not saying you think this way, but MANY posters likely want Leblanc because he's from Quebec. I don't think that can be debated.

Honestly, I don't think anyone can argue my point. If he wasn't from Quebec, he wouldn't be getting as much love on here..it's as simple as that.

Although it may seem this way, I'm not trying to bash Q players. But can you honestly say with a straight face that the Leblanc love doesn't have anything to do with the fact that he's a local boy?

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 11:44 AM
vad87

Just like Deschamps last year, even if, IMO, Leblanc is more talented. Every year there's a ridiculus obession to draft QC player. At the beginning of the year it was Caron....

Old
06-10-2009, 11:44 AM
Le depisteur

Quote:
BPA, you take Leblanc over Holland?
Without a doubt... The McKeen's, Red Line Report and ISS all think that too...