HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

What will happen with S. Koivu?

Old
06-09-2009, 07:09 PM
AlMo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanatic19 View Post
centre Selanne's line in Anaheim? Finnish connexion or no?
Now that makes sense......Ducks could use Koivu in a 2nd/3rd line role

AlMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 08:06 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoBlue View Post
That too. Forgot to bring that up again. NOWHERE does it say Koivu wants to go to Minnesota. All it says is "so and so" thinks Koivu will go there and usually the source is some retard. All we have that is certain is Koivu telling Finnish newspapers that Minny is his brother's team, and he doesn't want to impose.

The Koivu brothers didn't even grow up together. Mikko has talked on his blog about how his brother moved away when Mikko was growing up and how they're happy to play together just on the national team. This comes from Mikko himself.

Maybe it's just me but I'll take their own word any day over "rumours." People hear a rumour and they run with it because it's what they want to believe 90% of the time.
I think it much more likely that Saku, at the end of his career, wants to play with his younger brother, because they haven't had much time together. Not the other way around.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 08:23 AM
CaptPantalones

Buffalo with Rivet

CaptPantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 10:09 AM
urho

I hope he goes to Ducks to play with Teemu. In their younger days they dominated national games together. And by that I mean they were the best duo out there. It's sad they never got to play together in the NHL...

urho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 10:46 AM
Twindad*
Father of Twins

Quote:
Originally Posted by urho View Post
I hope he goes to Ducks to play with Teemu. In their younger days they dominated national games together. And by that I mean they were the best duo out there. It's sad they never got to play together in the NHL...
If he does play with Teemu, I would hope that at least some of that chemistry is still there.

Twindad* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 11:11 AM
DieHardHabs

everyone keeps sayin to play with his buddy rivet or selenne.. lets get real.. teemu never came to play with saku when he asked him too, hes not gunna go to anh, and i cant gurantee he doesn't wanna play for buffalo.. koivu cares about one thing and one thing only a cup.. that would be the only way he sticks around.. i say he waits it out to see what moves the habs make..

DieHardHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 11:52 AM
duckyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHardHabs View Post
everyone keeps sayin to play with his buddy rivet or selenne.. lets get real.. teemu never came to play with saku when he asked him too, hes not gunna go to anh, and i cant gurantee he doesn't wanna play for buffalo.. koivu cares about one thing and one thing only a cup.. that would be the only way he sticks around.. i say he waits it out to see what moves the habs make..
Part of the reason Saku would go to the Ducks would be to win a cup. The Ducks are in pretty good shape to challenge for a cup next year. It is also part of the reason teemu never went to Montreal, they were never really a cup contender.

I think Saku goes to Anaheim to play with Teemu for one year and try and win the cup. Then he can go to Minny to play his last seasons to play with his brother.

Who knows though.

duckyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 01:40 PM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckyman View Post
Part of the reason Saku would go to the Ducks would be to win a cup. The Ducks are in pretty good shape to challenge for a cup next year. It is also part of the reason teemu never went to Montreal, they were never really a cup contender.

I think Saku goes to Anaheim to play with Teemu for one year and try and win the cup. Then he can go to Minny to play his last seasons to play with his brother.

Who knows though.
He can stay in Montreal and still win the Cup. It's not like Anaheim is a Cup favourite. They have a chance at a Cup, but it's not like Anaheim is as good as Detroit (sure, it was a close series, but that's only because Anaheim matches up well against Detroit).

Also, despite what people think, Montreal should NOT have been the eighth seed (just like Anaheim). At the all-star break, the Habs had the second best record in the East. Then, injuries happened. Bad coaching and a lack of a system caught up to the Habs, who couldn't coast on talent any longer. Now, Anaheim is a very good team. I can see that. But they're not soooo good that Koivu would just abandon the team he's dedicated his career to just when said team is starting to get good again. If Koivu leaves, it won't be "for a Cup." Koivu won't leave the Habs just for that. Ask yourself why he stayed all these years. He had a chance to bolt already, but he came back. Koivu was an impending UFA and, by then, he knew about the media. He knew about the fans. He knew what Montreal was like: the cold weather, the taxes and everything. And he still chose to stay. A phone call from Teemu and a decent (but nowhere guaranteed) chance at a Cup won't sway him all of a sudden.

If Koivu leaves, it will be because the Habs and himself feel it is time to part ways. Kinda like Naslund. It will likely have nothing to do with Anaheim at all, really.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 03:10 PM
Noldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoBlue View Post
He can stay in Montreal and still win the Cup. It's not like Anaheim is a Cup favourite. They have a chance at a Cup, but it's not like Anaheim is as good as Detroit (sure, it was a close series, but that's only because Anaheim matches up well against Detroit).

If Koivu leaves, it will be because the Habs and himself feel it is time to part ways. Kinda like Naslund. It will likely have nothing to do with Anaheim at all, really.
To some extent Koivu's future is up to Habs. I believe that if Habs make a reasonable offer (my personal suggestion would be around 12 million over 4 years, front loaded), Koivu will stay and retire a Hab.

However, there are plenty of issues that I suspect to delay player signings by Habs this summer. Martin was given up to 15th June to choose his assistants. I suspect Gainey would like to have imput from whole coaching team before making major player choices (to extent it is possible). Secondly the possible sale of Habs is another reason to delay any moves that are not critical (signing of Martin was critical and need to be done well in advance). I also suspect that Habs try to make something big at the draft. Trade significantly up or acquire major player and Koivu's role in the team could well depend on what kind of move Habs are able to make (if any). Therefore I would consider it a bit premature to assume Koivu will actually become UFA on July 1st.

Still, any actual speculation as destination of UFA S.Koivu should be based on presumption that Montreal has decided to part ways with their second longest serving captain (Koivu would become longest serving captain if he stays for an additional season). In that situation, Koivu and Anaheim would look like match made in heaven. Not many contending team lack exactly the assets Koivu would bring (reliable, playmaking 2nd line center). Based purely on need, Chigago and Anaheim should probably be two teams mostly interested in Koivu's services.

Noldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 03:35 PM
Turboflex*

Habs fan here, Saku is my favourite player and I hope the Habs resign him but if they can't I'd love to see him in Anaheim.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote