HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

What position to play?

Old
05-27-2009, 08:23 AM
Semper Sens

vCash: 500
What position to play?

Hey guys, I could use some help.

I'm returning to organized hockey this October in my old minor hockey league. The gaames will be non-contact. I'm 18 now, the last time I played was in house league Bantam (I think that's like 13-14 or something). The two years before Bantam I was in B, but Bantam B is contact. I used to play as a very conservative defenseman. Since then I've been playing at the ODRs alot, where I normally play much more of a defensive game than most people.

OK, as you can see by the title I need to pick what position to play. I'm just going to give a quick description of how I play right now, at the ODRs and pickup. I like to skate hard and my favourite thing to do is chase people down. At the ODR, I'm the ******* who cares enough to go and catch up to people when they're on breakways. I'm decent at intercepting passes and I'm good at being on the defending side of a 1-on-1. I'm not very good offensively, I do score at least once or twice per outing usually but it's beating people with speed or luck. It is unlikley that I could score with any kind of regularity playing in an organized league.

Anyways, now that I'm going back though, I don't know what to put down for my position. Sure I used to play defense, but I played pickup throughout last year and I found that my backwards acceleration isn't all that great anymore, so guys could just blow by me if I wasn't in the perfect position. I remember when I used to play organized I would very rarely pinch, which made most games pretty boring. Also, I find that defensemen have alot of responsibility so I'm not sure if I should go back to that again, seeing as I haven't played structured hockey in years.

So, I was thinking I could be a kind of two way forward, the guy who doesn't score as much as his linemates but forechecks and backchecks hard, creates chances for his line, etc... So maybe I say I'm a winger, but I kind of feel that wingers are supposed to be the more offensively creative players and I'm definitely not that, plus my shot isn't great either. I can't beat anyone on a 1-on-1 if there set. Also, the winger is the guy who stands in front of the net and is supposed to tip and bang the puck home right? I'm pretty thin and I'm terrible at working the front of the net.

So then I thought I could be a centre but centres have more responsibility and are supposed to be really good at making plays, which again I don't think I'm good enough for. Plus, I don't have a clue how to take a faceoff.

So what do I do? Right now I'm leaning towards being a winger but I don't know, maybe centre is better...

Am I worrying too much? Probably, but I don't want to be the one guy on the team who doesn't know his own freaking position. I know I won't be a first liner or the go-to guy. Obviously this is low-level too so it doesn't matter I guess, but still.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for any help anyone can give me.

Semper Sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 09:24 AM
noobman

It sounds like you enjoy playing D.

If you're in minor hockey house league just go play D and have some fun. Your skills will improve as the year rolls along.

The "safest" position to play is the wing, since you won't handle the puck as much as a centre and your mistakes wont be as blatantly obvious as they would be if you were on D.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 10:51 AM
densetsu

<chant>
Goalie! Goalie! Goalie! Goalie!
</chant>

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 11:03 AM
shotty

the main reason i chose d in minors was for the hitting and the ice time. i ended up falling in love with it and now that i'm in adult league, even though i can get it done well on the wing, i find myself with a defensive mentality.

if you're a conservative d and thats your style, stick with it and develop those skills. OR, flirt with both positions in practice and see which you like better. you might end up havng two other forwards that you share a lot of chemistry with!

shotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 02:22 PM
Gino 14

Play center.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 03:29 PM
Semper Sens

Thanks for the responses, maybe going back to d would be good. shotty brought up a good point about more ice time. Also, I was thinking I might have problems on wing or centre with feeling out of position.

noobman, you're right, I do like playing d but this time around I want to contribute offensively too. In low-level bantam and earlier leagues, the defense were never used other than for pure defense. I'm sure this time the wingers will drop back to cover if I decide to go for a rush or something. I just think being on wing would allow using speed more, for rushes and backchecking.

Geno 14, why do you reccomend centre?

And densetu, I used to love playing goal but it always was, and still is, too expensive.

I may just write RW/RD on the form and see where the team has needs.

Old
05-27-2009, 09:28 PM
Hockeyfan68

gc you sound like a defensive foward / defensman. I am a defensive forward with a big heavy shot and take my pot shots when I get them.

I certainly won't set the world on fire with any fancy stuff either. The cool thing about hockey is there is a job for everyone as everyone is different.

You do sound like playing defense would be good for you or just a defensive forward .... steal some pucks, kill penalties, score when you get a chance to etc

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 06:22 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by gc View Post
Hey guys, I could use some help.

I'm returning to organized hockey this October in my old minor hockey league. The games will be non-contact. I'm 18 now, the last time I played was in house league Bantam (I think that's like 13-14 or something). The two years before Bantam I was in B, but Bantam B is contact. I used to play as a very conservative defenseman. Since then I've been playing at the ODRs alot, where I normally play much more of a defensive game than most people.

OK, as you can see by the title I need to pick what position to play. I'm just going to give a quick description of how I play right now, at the ODRs and pickup. I like to skate hard and my favourite thing to do is chase people down. At the ODR, I'm the ******* who cares enough to go and catch up to people when they're on breakways. I'm decent at intercepting passes and I'm good at being on the defending side of a 1-on-1. I'm not very good offensively, I do score at least once or twice per outing usually but it's beating people with speed or luck. It is unlikley that I could score with any kind of regularity playing in an organized league.

Anyways, now that I'm going back though, I don't know what to put down for my position. Sure I used to play defense, but I played pickup throughout last year and I found that my backwards acceleration isn't all that great anymore, so guys could just blow by me if I wasn't in the perfect position. I remember when I used to play organized I would very rarely pinch, which made most games pretty boring. Also, I find that defensemen have alot of responsibility so I'm not sure if I should go back to that again, seeing as I haven't played structured hockey in years.

So, I was thinking I could be a kind of two way forward, the guy who doesn't score as much as his linemates but forechecks and backchecks hard, creates chances for his line, etc... So maybe I say I'm a winger, but I kind of feel that wingers are supposed to be the more offensively creative players and I'm definitely not that, plus my shot isn't great either. I can't beat anyone on a 1-on-1 if there set. Also, the winger is the guy who stands in front of the net and is supposed to tip and bang the puck home right? I'm pretty thin and I'm terrible at working the front of the net.

So then I thought I could be a centre but centres have more responsibility and are supposed to be really good at making plays, which again I don't think I'm good enough for. Plus, I don't have a clue how to take a faceoff.

So what do I do? Right now I'm leaning towards being a winger but I don't know, maybe centre is better...

Am I worrying too much? Probably, but I don't want to be the one guy on the team who doesn't know his own freaking position. I know I won't be a first liner or the go-to guy. Obviously this is low-level too so it doesn't matter I guess, but still.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for any help anyone can give me.
Ok, here you go, why not play center. Playing center kind of gives you the best of the both worlds. Center is probably one of the hardest positions to play becuase you have to have great vision and beable to read and react as play developes.

As a centerman in your zone, you have a wide range to cover. Lets look at this picture below.

Notice the area in yellow in your defensive zone to the far left. I have place players within the zones within your defensive area. Now, as you can see, there is a box in front of the goalie where the centermen is responsible for. Nowever, it falls within the yellow area which means that this area is your responsibility as well. Your main focus is within the box in fron of the net.

But, if your defensemen is getting doubled teamed in the corner, it is your responsibily to go equal out the strength before he looses possession of the puck.

Every player within your defensive zone has a responsibilty to the team as a whole and that job is to play sub-zone hockey within their defensive zone. However, there are always exceptions to the rules.

So , lets line out some "Rules of the Road" for playing Center shall we.

1. Always win the draw at center ice.
2. Always keep your feet moving through center ice, never coast.
3. Pick up a man coming back into the defensive zone, do not let him enter alone.
4. Play your position within your zone.
5. Assist your defensemen when they are in trouble.
6. Move the on coming winger towards your winger in the trap.
7. If you can't trap, move to center as third defensemen, forcing puck carrier to move to the outside.
8. Puck support your defensemen.
9. First winger to start the breakout.
10. Tape to Tape passing.
11. Have the ability to have great vision and see the play develop.
12. Don't watch the goalie make the save, clear all rebounds.
13. Place your stick under the attacking players stick.
14. Pick one guy in front and stay with him until goalie freezes the puck.
15. Weave in the Neutral Zone.
16. Don't dump and chase, carry it in or regroup.
17. Be the first one to the puck in the attacking zone.
18. Game is won in the corner.
19. Set up behind the net in the attacking zone.
20. Work the "Give and Go"
21. Cycle in the attacking zone.
22. Be the playmaker.
23. On delayed penalties, cycle the puck back to the defensive unit to get the goalie off for the sixth attacker.
24. Stay out of the penalty box.
25. Learn pattern plays.
26. Take skating risks!
27. Do things what other players are not willing to do.
28. Take punishment in front of the attacking goalie.
29. NO retaliation!
30. Screen the goalie.
31. Use your stick to deflect.
32. Don't make saves for the attacking goalie.
33. If you can't screen, move into position for the rebound.
34. Keep your head up!
35. Win every draw in the attacking zone.
36. This needs repeating: "Set up behind the net in the attacking zone!"

If you need any clearity with this list, PM me and I will go over it with you.

Good Luck
Head coach

06-10-2009, 11:52 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc View Post

Geno 14, why do you reccomend centre?
I don't have all the info Headcoach has, but a lot of the info I agree with. You sound like you are aggressivse and like to skate, like defense, and don't like to lose. At "beer" level hockey, I always respect a center that comes back on D and is a pain in the oppositions butt when the puck is in their zone. You sound like you're that guy. I'm sure if you lose a few face-offs, it will piss you off and you'll figure out how to start winning them. I respect a guy that plays hard and plays his position over a guy that can make a great play but then watches while the other team brings the puck back and scores.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 12:55 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
That is an awesome list head coach. Good info

TheGooooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 08:58 PM
Semper Sens

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGooooch View Post
That is an awesome list head coach. Good info
Gooch, I just pm'd him asking for a "Rules to the Road" list for centre, similar to the one he put in the "Transitioning to D" thread awhile back, and he went all out.

It's been said before and I think it needs to be repeated, Headcoach is the most helpful and knowledgeable poster on the Rink board.

Thanks again headcoach, really appreciate it.