HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

According to Pat Burns - Don Lever could be the next coach in New Jersey.

Old
06-10-2009, 09:17 AM
Newhabfan

vCash: 500
According to Pat Burns - Don Lever could be the next coach in New Jersey.

First - I believe this does not belong to the "out of town" thread since Lever is still a Habs coach.

This morning Burns seemed both excited and frustrated when talking about the next coach in New Jersey. I suggest you guys listen to it at http://www.corussports.com/
(somewhere at about 66% of the record)

He mentions Don Lever (probably recommended by Scotty Bowman again). He does it while insisting it's only speculation and that only Lou knows what Lou will do. But something sounds unconvincing there.

It's not the frist time with Burns and Devils related info that he casually lets slip a name, clearly identifying it as an unfounded rumor, then two-three days after - bang! - it happens.

He is torn between his confidentiality issues that he takes very seriously and the need to share the interesting info he has.

Anyways - Lever might be a good choice for the Devils given his history with the team (and the fact that he was, even for a short time, assistant coach with the Habs ) I fear the day when the Devils coached by Lever would crush the Habs and all the currently Lever haters would start blaming Gainey for letting him go.....

Thoughts?

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 09:34 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

i believe just yesterday Burns was accusing that CTV Calgary reported of taking a huge gamble with regards to his story about Sutter stepping down.
Burns made it seem like it was another reporter taking a huge chance on little information.

I dont know if he was pandering, but he didnt sound convinced that Sutter would step down. So im not sure how accurate his info is, but Lever does seem to fit the style of the devils, plus their is a connection there. Used to play for the devils and Lou likes hiring ex-habs.

Time will tell, but if we have a head coach and he wants to be one, let him walk.

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 10:29 AM
Captain Saku

he did not say this...

he was just brainstorming live and bringing up names because he clearly said that no body but Lou knows who are the candidates. He just said that Don played with the Devils and he would maybe like to stay in the New York region.

Captain Saku is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 10:34 AM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiascov
he did not say this...

he was just brainstorming live and bringing up names because he clearly said that no body but Lou knows who are the candidates. He just said that Don played with the Devils and he would maybe like to stay in the New York region.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
He mentions Don Lever (probably recommended by Scotty Bowman again). He does it while insisting it's only speculation and that only Lou knows what Lou will do. But something sounds unconvincing there.
It's basicly what newhabfan said, no?

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 10:42 AM
Newhabfan

He was the Devil's first captain ever. And he scored the first goal in the Devil's history. So he is "marketable" in New Jersey.

He has enough NHL experience to know what to do but is not NHL experienced enough to be hard to control for Lamoriello

He will also probably come cheap and highly motivated.

That makes him a good fit there.

Here is a rough translation of what was said this morning:

"...he must have a candidate list in his mind, he probably talked already to one or two. Say even, Scotty Bowmann called me yesterday asking me to "promote" a name (chuckle) Even if I would talk to Lou it would not change much. Jacques Lemaire would be a good choice, but would he want to come back to New Jersey?....There is even Don Lever, he played for the Devils - a guy looking for a job that wants to stay close to New York.... I'm not saying he's a candidate there are names that are thrown like that but ...there is only one person, one guy that knows who the next coach will be - and that's Lou Lamoriello. And he won't tell anyone before it happens."

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 02:26 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

god**** ******-******* ***** **** ******** **** *******

I hate Lou and the Devils and I like Lever.... If it happens, its gonna be hard to swallow, not because of Gainey, but because we spent our last "chance" on a rookie (per se) coach on Carbo, and now we couldn't put Lever there as we needed someone with experience. Guess its a question of bad timing. But something tells me that if Lever leaves (and probably won't last long in Jersey, even if he were to win the cup) Jersey (if hired) we'll probably see him back with the Habs.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 02:28 PM
vokiel
I hate blind passes

As it stands, the Devils do not need Lever to crush the Habs.

They just need a Brodeur in shape and that is all.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote