HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Vancouver - Ottawa (Revisited Proposal)

Old
06-10-2009, 12:43 PM
Northern Neighbour

vCash: 500
Vancouver - Ottawa (Revisited Proposal)

Last year and during this past season, there were some proposals being discussed about a Luongo-for-Heatley trade. Depending on Luongo's intentions (he'll be entering the last season of a three-year deal), could the Canucks and Senators explore a trade involving these two superstars?

A potential trade could be:

Vancouver trades Roberto Luongo ($7M) and Ryan Kesler ($1.75M).
Ottawa trades Dany Heatley ($7.5M) and Pascal Leclaire ($3.8M).

Vancouver would add more salary ($2.55M), but they would still have approximately $18M in cap space. This would be enough cap space to re-sign the Sedin twins, a mid-tier defenseman, and a role-playing forward.

The Senators get their long, sought-after franchise goaltender while getting a young forward to play on the top-2 lines.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 01:18 PM
iceless
-`ღ-

Not bad... not great either.

Canucks pass.

iceless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 01:22 PM
lefty2time*

I'm confident that Luongo will resign with Vancouver.

Anyways..there is no chance in hell that trade goes down.

Contract status aside, Luongo > Heatley

lefty2time* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 01:26 PM
Fyodor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty2time View Post
I'm confident that Luongo will resign with Vancouver.

Anyways..there is no chance in hell that trade goes down.

Contract status aside, Luongo > Heatley
That's not really relevant...

Fyodor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 01:30 PM
1025*

Ottawa gets to solve their problems.

Canucks gets burned by getting the worse package. Luongo > Leclaire, Kesler's cap hit (59pts) >> Heatley's cap hit (78? pts)

1025* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 01:30 PM
heatley_fan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1025 View Post
Ottawa gets to solve their problems.

Canucks gets burned by getting the worse package. Luongo > Leclaire, Kesler's cap hit (59pts) >> Heatley's cap hit (78? pts)
Heatley's year was an anomaly. The whole team stank.

heatley_fan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 01:32 PM
illogic

Not terrible, but as a Canuck fan I'd pass.

illogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 01:52 PM
Tiranis

Definitely not terrible in terms of fantasy trades, but in real life it wouldn't ever work. Luongo and Kesler are pretty much the face of this franchise right now, trading both away is a little crazy *no matter what's coming back, unless it's another franchise star like Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, etc.

Heatley isn't quite in that category... especially with his history of personal problems.

Tiranis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 02:52 PM
T_Cage
VP of Awesome

one of the better heatley proposals...but too much from Van.

Maybe just Heatley for Luongo? Pascal really isn't needed (esp at his price)

T_Cage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 02:54 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

it's a trade I'd consider if Luongo doesn't want to re-sign...

if that happens you have to look at retooling the team at the very least... chances are though that if Luongo doesn't re-sign you commit to a rebuild... but if the options are there, swap Luongo for Heatley, get a much cheaper starting goalie, and re-sign the Sedins to retool your team from one built around goaltending, to one built around your offense.

Nothing wrong with the trade value here IMO... but if Luongo wants to re-sign, I'd rather hold on to him and try and build a team with some depth in front of him - where a contract like Heatley's doesn't really fit IMO.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 03:03 PM
Northern Neighbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
it's a trade I'd consider if Luongo doesn't want to re-sign...

if that happens you have to look at retooling the team at the very least... chances are though that if Luongo doesn't re-sign you commit to a rebuild... but if the options are there, swap Luongo for Heatley, get a much cheaper starting goalie, and re-sign the Sedins to retool your team from one built around goaltending, to one built around your offense.

Nothing wrong with the trade value here IMO... but if Luongo wants to re-sign, I'd rather hold on to him and try and build a team with some depth in front of him - where a contract like Heatley's doesn't really fit IMO.
Agreed. As I stated in the OP, this offer would be predicated on Luongo stating that he either was not interested in re-signing with the Canucks or wanted to test the FA waters in 2010 before deciding his future.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 03:06 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Doesn't work. If we lose Luongo and Kesler to gain Heatley and LeClaire we are a worse team than we were before. That being said, IF we trade Luongo we trade him away for key pieces to a re-build instead.

Luongo should be able to fetch something better than Heatley. I don't exactly mean skill wise, it's just trading Luongo symbolizes a re-build and a re-building team has no interest in Heater.

For Luongo I'd want something like Carter + 1st... Or you know, a young franchise d-man and a first and decent prospect. Something like that...

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 03:07 PM
HSF

no from Ottawa

We have bigger problems than goaltending that we HAVE to address in this Heatley trade

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 03:12 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
Agreed. As I stated in the OP, this offer would be predicated on Luongo stating that he either was not interested in re-signing with the Canucks or wanted to test the FA waters in 2010 before deciding his future.
I think one of the bigger problems in this trade is Luongo's NTC. He's VERY unlikely to waive it to go to Ottawa. If we're assuming his wife doesn't like Vancouver that much, what are the chances she's going to like Ottawa. More importantly, how is Ottawa a more cup-contending team than the Canucks... I just don't see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
For Luongo I'd want something like Carter + 1st... Or you know, a young franchise d-man and a first and decent prospect. Something like that...
Won't happen. Ever. Same goes for Richards + 1st. Not necessarily because there's no value in Luongo, but because Carter and Richards are far too valuable to the Flyers. Their contracts are pretty good too.

Last edited by Tiranis: 06-10-2009 at 03:18 PM.
Old
06-10-2009, 03:20 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
I think one of the bigger problems in this trade is Luongo's NTC. He's VERY unlikely to waive it to go to Ottawa. If we're assuming his wife doesn't like Vancouver that much, what are the chances she's going to like Ottawa.
Ottawa is quite a bit closer to Florida than Vancouver is - that's why. Add in the Sens are likely to be playing both Florida teams more in any given season than the Canucks.

Barney Gumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 03:28 PM
Payaso619*

No thanks, if we're trading Luongo, it's because we're rebuilding and looking for younger players, prospects, and picks.

Payaso619* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 04:00 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Ottawa is quite a bit closer to Florida than Vancouver is - that's why. Add in the Sens are likely to be playing both Florida teams more in any given season than the Canucks.
How is that at all relevant? She's not going to be living in Florida... plus Ottawa is much colder. She doesn't like the weather here, last I heard.

There's this thing called a plane, it flies through the air and it can take you anywhere on Earth. So, you know, she can actually travel from Vancouver to Florida with same ease as from Ottawa to Florida. That's not the point here.

You still haven't addressed the main issue, why would he go to a team that's not nearly as close to being a cup-contender as Vancouver is? Why would he waive his NTC to go to a worse club, seriously.

Old
06-10-2009, 04:07 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
How is that at all relevant? She's not going to be living in Florida... plus Ottawa is much colder. She doesn't like the weather here, last I heard.
You're the one who brought up Luongo's wife. She's (her family) is from Florida. Easier for her to go back and forth between Ottawa to visit her family (and friends) in Florida than from Vancouver.

From Luongo's point of view.....closer to his hometown of Montreal as well as alot less air travel (which has to take some toll on his body given the number of games he plays).

Old
06-10-2009, 04:07 PM
Egil

This is a non-starter without Luongo signing a new deal from Ottawa's side. The only way it works for us is if Luongo will sign with us and not Vancouver (unlikely). If Luongo will sign with us or Vancouver, then this is probably a non-starter from Vancouver's point of view.

All in all, this is a likely discussion between the GM's, but extremely unlikely to occur.

Egil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 04:14 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
You're the one who brought up Luongo's wife. She's (her family) is from Florida. Easier for her to go back and forth between Ottawa to visit her family (and friends) in Florida than from Vancouver.

From Luongo's point of view.....closer to HIS hometown of Montreal as well as alot less air travel.
I realize that. I'm just saying... I don't think Ottawa is an upgrade on Vancouver. She's likely to hate the cold winters and she still needs to fly to Florida. It's not like she would live right there.

Still haven't addressed the cup contender issue, but I give up.

Old
06-10-2009, 04:19 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
I realize that. I'm just saying... I don't think Ottawa is an upgrade on Vancouver. She's likely to hate the cold winters and she still needs to fly to Florida. It's not like she would live right there.
Fair enough. I just wanted to bring up the geographical disadvantage Vancouver unfortunately had.

Old
06-10-2009, 05:26 PM
heatley_fan*

I guess schneider isnt that great after all...

heatley_fan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 06:46 PM
Canucks5551

Absolutely not!

Canucks5551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 06:49 PM
Peter Griffin

Not a trade I'd make, at least with Kesler involved.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 06:58 PM
CloutierForVezina

Nonononono from vancouver. I love Heatley, but I have absolutely no confidence in Leclaire, I do not want his contract anywhere near vancouver. Aside from one good year he really hasn't done anything to impress me.

And kesler is a big loss to take when we're basically taking back Leclaire because they don't want him any more if they get Luongo.

CloutierForVezina is offline   Reply With Quote