HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

St. Louis - Ottawa

Old
06-10-2009, 07:47 PM
Laoghaire

vCash: 500
St. Louis - Ottawa

To Ottawa - Brad Boyes and Lars Eller

To St. Louis - Dany Heatley

I think it makes perfect sense. Boyes even grew up a Sens fan despite living in the GTA. Eller plays LW though is listed as both a centre and a left wing (though more often than not as a centre) He plays for none other than Frolunda and I'm pretty sure played against Ottawa in their pre-season game against each other. As well as playing with Karlsson. For St. Louis, they have more than enough centres up and coming to replace Boyes and this makes them significantly better now, while not making much of an impact on their future.

Laoghaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 07:57 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

I'm sure Ottawa would be looking for a #1 d-man in exchange for Heatley.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 08:28 PM
jmwc95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laoghaire View Post

I think it makes perfect sense. Boyes even grew up a Sens fan despite living in the GTA. Eller plays LW though is listed as both a centre and a left wing (though more often than not as a centre) He plays for none other than Frolunda and I'm pretty sure played against Ottawa in their pre-season game against each other. As well as playing with Karlsson. For St. Louis, they have more than enough centres up and coming to replace Boyes and this makes them significantly better now, while not making much of an impact on their future.
Yeah, I'm sure the fact that Boyes was a Sens fan means this is more likely to get done.

Boyes: 33g, 39a, 72 pts, $4MM/yr for 3 more years
Heatley: 39g, 33a, 72 pts, $7.5MM/yr for 5 more years

The Blues are hardly in a position to take on more salary or even pay $7.5MM for one player. Even with that, Heatley is not that big of an upgrade over Boyes to give up our 2nd best prospect after Pietrangelo as well. The Blues say no thanks.

Last edited by jmwc95: 06-10-2009 at 08:38 PM.
jmwc95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 08:32 PM
trublu16

Quote:

How in the world does this make sense at all?

Lets see Boyes who has 43/33 goal season the last 2 years and is under a very good contract (4mil until 12/13, cap number) plus we are giving up a very good prospect. For a guy who signed a contract who now want out because he does not want to go through a rebuild, or what ever stupid reason. Don't get me wrong, Heatley is a very good if not great winger. But I do not want to an extra 3.5 mil per season for guy that will get us a few more goal than BB will get us. Much rather have the kids do it or go out and get another scorer to fill the void of those extra goals.

trublu16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 08:46 PM
Laoghaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu16 View Post

Lets see Boyes who has 43/33 goal season the last 2 years and is under a very good contract (4mil until 12/13, cap number) plus we are giving up a very good prospect. For a guy who signed a contract who now want out because he does not want to go through a rebuild, or what ever stupid reason. Don't get me wrong, Heatley is a very good if not great winger. But I do not want to an extra 3.5 mil per season for guy that will get us a few more goal than BB will get us. Much rather have the kids do it or go out and get another scorer to fill the void of those extra goals.
Don't be retarded and compare a players worst season, played majority under a coach with the same mental faculty as you and the rest under a coach he so veheemently disagreed with he would demand a trade, with a players best season. Compare a 105 point player with a 72 point player. Or take the second best seasons 65 to 103 or an average ppg of 1.08 to 0.76.

Laoghaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 09:04 PM
Kamina
Amok

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu16 View Post

43/33 vs 50/50... hmm.. There's a reason Heatley is a top 5 winger in the league and Boyes isn't.

That being said, the Blues don't make this deal because of Eller being traded.

Kamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 09:06 PM
BlueBeard

Quote:
Don't be retarded and compare a players worst season, played majority under a coach with the same mental faculty as you and the rest under a coach he so veheemently disagreed with he would demand a trade, with a players best season. Compare a 105 point player with a 72 point player. Or take the second best seasons 65 to 103 or an average ppg of 1.08 to 0.76.
I'm sure Heatley would just love Andy Murray then...He'd have to backcheck and then there he goes demanding a trade again.

God forbid a team actually want to keep some of the young cheap talent they've patiently built through the draft instead of having one line. Especially when Boyes who gets half the salary and 3.5 million less in cap hit and is fully capable of hitting 40g again considering he got 33 without a playmaker for half a season. We could pull the trigger on that Pietrangelo-Kessel trade and sign Kessel at 4.5mil a year and have two players fully capable of 40g for only 1 mil more in cap space and half a mil more in actual salary.

No thanks.

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 09:26 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamina View Post
43/33 vs 50/50... hmm.. There's a reason Heatley is a top 5 winger in the league and Boyes isn't.

That being said, the Blues don't make this deal because of Eller being traded.
But those 50 goal seasons were two and three years ago, respectively. Not to mention he was playing on the top line in hockey for those two years. Now, I understand he was 1/3 of the reason that line was so good, but put Brad Boyes in the same situation, and I think he would be a PPG+ guy. What would Heatley put up with David Backes and McDonald, fine players, but nothing close to Spez and Alfredsson.

Also, I dont know if Id call Heatley a Top 5 winger at the moment.

Brad Boyes is pretty much Heatley-lite, both pure offensive players, just Heatley is slightly better accross the board offensively.

I wouldnt mind moving Boyes for Heatley, but I dont know what I would be willing to give with him, definitely not Eller. Heatley's contract is a tad too high for me because we have a lot of young players who will need contracts over the next 2-3 years.

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 09:36 PM
Dionysus

Hmm, maybe Backes, Eller and a 2009 1st for Heatley + Auld

Ottawa picks up a decent prospect and a mid first rounder, along with a young power forward type in Backes, St. Louis gets a 28 year old high profile sniper that would go well with their nucleus of young talent. And a solid backup goaltender.

Dionysus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 09:37 PM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

Eller is the Blues highest drafted forward since Rod Brind'Amour in 1988 (9th overall) and could quite possibly be even better than Berglund, Perron or Oshie...all of whom were drafted in the late first round. I don't see the Blues moving Eller before they find out what they've got...afterall, he's The Danish-Peter-Forsberg.

Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 09:50 PM
MotorMaster

vCash: 250
It would be interesting to see Kariya-Mcdonald or Backes-Heatley on the same line.

Boyes + Jay McKee for Heatley it would clear up 8 million in cap space (-7.5mil for Heatley) and with E.J and Brewer coming back from injury and possibly Alex Pietrangelo playing next year I don't think they need Jay Mckee anymore.

+ I think Heatley would make more of a difference on the power play then Boyes.

I'll call Pleau and Murray up right now and see if I can work something out.

MotorMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 09:56 PM
BigEyedPhish

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorMaster View Post
It would be interesting to see Kariya-Mcdonald or Backes-Heatley on the same line.

Boyes + Jay McKee for Heatley it would clear up 8 million in cap space (-7.5mil for Heatley) and with E.J and Brewer coming back from injury and possibly Alex Pietrangelo playing next year I don't think they need Jay Mckee anymore.

+ I think Heatley would make more of a difference on the power play then Boyes.

I'll call Pleau and Murray up right now and see if I can work something out.
That is dumb.. Ottawa will want a HELL of a lot more than Boyes and McKee... Start with Oshie, or Erik Johnson.. and if not either.. then you can look for a different winger... probably ... I hope anyways....

BigEyedPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 10:14 PM
The Grouch
Enraged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammitch View Post
That is dumb.. Ottawa will want a HELL of a lot more than Boyes and McKee... Start with Oshie, or Erik Johnson.. and if not either.. then you can look for a different winger... probably ... I hope anyways....
Agreed... the Blues should look for a different winger. Heatley(with his contract) isn't worth that much!

I don't think Heatley is a good fit for St. Louis because of his contract.

The Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 10:17 PM
SFKingshomer

STL, like LA should stay the course for a couple more seasons and fill their holes through FA.

SFKingshomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 10:18 PM
MotorMaster

Quote:
Oh yeah "start with Oshie or E.Johnson" now that is just stupid.Boyes had just as many points as Heatley and he makes 3.5 million less now I admit Heatley is a better goal scorer which is why I threw in McKee or maybe Brewer but if you think Heatley is worth more than that then you are a bit delusional.

But by all means if a team is willing to overpay than all the power to Murray and Ottawa.

Old
06-10-2009, 10:21 PM
BigEyedPhish

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorMaster View Post
Oh yeah "start with Oshie or E.Johnson" now that is just stupid.Boyes had just as many points as Heatley and he makes 3.5 million less now I admit Heatley is a better goal scorer which is why I threw in McKee or maybe Brewer but if you think Heatley is worth more than that then you are a bit delusional.

But by all means if a team is willing to overpay than all the power to Murray and Ottawa.
I never said that it wasn't good value. But a team will offer more than that for Heatley and Ottawa will bite.. Ottawa does not want to just replace Heatley for now. It wants to heal its future as well.. And Heatley demanding a trade could ultimately help with that IMMENSELY.

BigEyedPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 10:34 PM
TK 421
Donut Squad

Quote:
Well Sammitch, the problem for the Sens is obviously that the rumor is everywhere that Heatley wants out and justified or not, it drops his trade value considerably despite his undeniable skills. Then theres his NTC, which not only makes him a less attractive pickup, it allows him final say in where he goes which of course limits the options even further.

The Sens will likely get screwed on value much the same way my Blues did when they were forced to trade Pronger for Brewer,Woywitka and Lynch because the team was for sale and Prongs was up for a contract.

The Sens aren't in a position to demand an Oshie or EJ, nor would those two even be available.

TK 421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 10:51 PM
Kessel>Seguin +
Not Even A Big Fan!!

While this trade is pretty even value wise ( I do not do it from St Louis perspective), this is not the way of the new NHL. It is not the days of when the Leafs and Rangers could trade away first first picks every year or sign every player in FA. Now the only way to have success as an organisation is to hang onto youe young talent and let them develop.

There are several young teams who are set up nicely for years to coem because they have followed this model such as Chicago, LA, St Louis.

All these teams are young and may be missing that one key piece needed but if needed they can wait for prospects to come fill those rolls, such as Pietroangleo for St Louis or JJ (certain extent) or Hickey and Teubert for L.A. If they are not patient enough to do this then they will go the way of Free agency as developping players then dealing them is just not the way to win and really is a step backwards for your organisation

Kessel>Seguin + is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 10:52 PM
Kessel>Seguin +
Not Even A Big Fan!!

And IMO Heatley asking to be traded is the best thing to happen to the Sens in a while. They can get a very good talent coming back and replenish their prospect pool aswell with a coulple solid prospects

Kessel>Seguin + is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 11:00 PM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK 421 View Post
Well Sammitch, the problem for the Sens is obviously that the rumor is everywhere that Heatley wants out and justified or not, it drops his trade value considerably despite his undeniable skills. Then theres his NTC, which not only makes him a less attractive pickup, it allows him final say in where he goes which of course limits the options even further.

The Sens will likely get screwed on value much the same way my Blues did when they were forced to trade Pronger for Brewer,Woywitka and Lynch because the team was for sale and Prongs was up for a contract.

The Sens aren't in a position to demand an Oshie or EJ, nor would those two even be available.
The Sens position is a very strong one. There's little doubt as to who leaked the fact that Heatley wants a trade. There will be a bidding war between at least 2 teams that have the cap room to accommodate him, possibly more than that if someone like SJ gets into it.

We're not going for a Pronger trade here. We're going for a 5th overall, Teubert, Moller kind of thing.

Maybe a Lars Eller, Ian Cole, Brad Boyes deal would work. Maybe.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 11:00 PM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by juice1815 View Post
And IMO Heatley asking to be traded is the best thing to happen to the Sens in a while. They can get a very good talent coming back and replenish their prospect pool aswell with a coulple solid prospects
That's exactly it.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 11:02 PM
MotorMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by juice1815 View Post
I have to agree Ottawa has 50 million already tied up for next year and that isn't with Comrie or Neil and with a need for more depth.I wouldn't be surprised if Murray traded Spezza too and totally rebuilt the team... unlikely though.

Old
06-10-2009, 11:05 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
The Sens position is a very strong one. There's little doubt as to who leaked the fact that Heatley wants a trade. There will be a bidding war between at least 2 teams that have the cap room to accommodate him, possibly more than that if someone like SJ gets into it.

We're not going for a Pronger trade here. We're going for a 5th overall, Teubert, Moller kind of thing.

Maybe a Lars Eller, Ian Cole, Brad Boyes deal would work. Maybe.
Blues have no reason to do this trade. We got 10 million coming off of the books next year between McKee and Kariya alone. we can make a splash in this free agency or next without having to give up anything. Its not like we would even be saving any money since whoever we would sign would probably be less than the 7.5 million Heatley is earning.

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 11:23 PM
SP

As a Sens fan with a soft spot for the Blues, St. Louis doesn't do this

Boyes will score about 10 goals less per year, but he's on a better contract, he's a better skater, and better in his own zone.

On top of that, for a team with such a young core like St. Louis, I'd be concerned about Heatley's attitude rubbing off on the kids.

SP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 11:23 PM
Blues077

Quote:

Not going to happen with Eller in the deal. Take Kariya, Boyes and a 1st 2010 and we can talk.

The Blues are not going to go through this long rebuild only to deal a top prospect when he finally comes to the NHL.

This deal is going to have to be veterans for veteran. Lesser prospects we can talk about and a draft pick as well.

Blues077 is offline   Reply With Quote