HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Which teams will make the biggest changes/splashes this off season?

Old
05-10-2009, 04:47 AM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

vCash: 500
Which teams will make the biggest changes/splashes this off season?

My guess' are Toronto and Montreal, and no to pander to the two largest fan bases, and here's why.

Why Montreal? After an extremely disappointing season, Bob Gainey is going to want to make a couple dramatic changes to this roster. I think Bob is going to want to exchange some of that skill he acquired through the draft, for some larger, more impactful type players that can give teams like Boston a harder time.

Also, Montreal's looking for a coach. Montreal needs to get around the need for a french speaking coach, and go souly on ability. Did Scotty know how to speak french when he joined the Canadiens? I think this is a backwards way of thinking, which only hinders the team from being successful.

Coaches available that I think would make good candidates in Montreal...

Pat Quinn
Peter Laviolette
Scott Arniel (Manitoba Moose)
Dale Hunter (London Knights)

Two pretty good NHL calibre coaches. And two well respected coaches, who have yet to gain any experience in the NHL.

Toronto? Brian Burke will want to make his mark on this team. He's going to want to steal the show at the draft, and may do so by making a huge trade to land John Tavares. However, I don't believe he will be able to do so, without moving a huge number of assets. I'm hoping for a lesser deal, if it's necessary, to grab Luke Schenns little brother Brayden.

Burkes also going to do his best to land some big names on the free agent market. I'm thinking he'll make a strong pitch to Mike Cammalleri, and Jay Bouwmeester. I don't think he'll be successful with Bouwmeester. However, I do think he'll land Cammalleri. He'll also ship out several long time Leafs, such as Kaberle, and Stajan.

Other teams I can see making significant changes. San Jose, Dallas, and the Rangers.

Any guesses? Who's going to do what?

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 12:54 AM
40oz

Maybe not the biggest, but I think Tambellini is going to make some big changes in Edmonton. At the year end presser he did not sound happy with the makeup of the team that he's been handed. I think he's going to make a couple big moves this summer and really put his stamp on the team. As well has having to hire a new coaching staff.

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 08:05 AM
flannelman
default user

I think Minnesota has the biggest or one of the biggest opportunities to do something with the club - what they will do, though, I'm very unsure - I don't see them spending a lot a lot of money - but if they can lure in a new coach and some high-end talent, I think they'll be really good.

flannelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 02:12 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Maybe not the biggest, but I think Tambellini is going to make some big changes in Edmonton. At the year end presser he did not sound happy with the makeup of the team that he's been handed. I think he's going to make a couple big moves this summer and really put his stamp on the team. As well has having to hire a new coaching staff.
Do you think Pat Quinn is a guy that makes sense for your team? Considering how much success he had with young teams lately (World under 18's, and under 20's).

Old
05-19-2009, 12:02 AM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Forman View Post
Do you think Pat Quinn is a guy that makes sense for your team? Considering how much success he had with young teams lately (World under 18's, and under 20's).
Personally I would like to see some new blood and fresh ideas in the organization. Im a pretty big Pat Quinn fan but I just dont see him as the right fit.

Old
05-20-2009, 08:13 AM
Penguins23
Le Magnifique

Quote:
Originally Posted by flannelman View Post
I think Minnesota has the biggest or one of the biggest opportunities to do something with the club - what they will do, though, I'm very unsure - I don't see them spending a lot a lot of money - but if they can lure in a new coach and some high-end talent, I think they'll be really good.

I can't wait to see the Wild play a different style. They have some great players there and I think if they find the right coach they can be a factor next season.

I'm interested to see what the Rangers will do, I know they would want to get rid of Redden but that's not going to happen so how they deal with their cap should be interesting.

Unless Montreal does some real work this summer I think they'll miss the playoffs next year.

05-20-2009, 03:13 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
I would suspect the shear number of UFA's in Montreal will force their hand.

05-25-2009, 09:29 PM
kyle evs48
No words needed

I want the Devils to get what they need, but Lou is going senile and thinks these random defensemen will push the team over the top.

kyle evs48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 03:11 PM
El Maestro

It looks like it's going to have a lot of change in DC, Kozlov and Fedorov seems to have already leaved the team.
Johnson or Theodore will probably be traded to another team 'cause we don't need 3 goalies.
The organisation will probably try to trade Nylander and his horrible contract.

El Maestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 07:24 PM
Go Habs Go

I think it will be the bottom feeding teams that have tons of cap space that will make the big splash. With the cap dropping next year, the top teams won't take the risk to throw 8-9 mil at guys like Gaborik but teams like the Kings probably will. Many think that because the cap is dropping that salary will go down with it. I think it will be the same as last year except only those who have tons of space will take that chance.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 03:46 AM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Personally I would like to see some new blood and fresh ideas in the organization. Im a pretty big Pat Quinn fan but I just dont see him as the right fit.
Ha, I called it.

Old
06-12-2009, 02:50 AM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Forman View Post
Ha, I called it.
Well maybe Renney is the new blood part?

The idea of Quinn is growing on me though, the team lacked identity and the majority of players didnt seem to know there roles. I think Quinn can be the answer to that.

So, got any other predictions for the summer?