HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kessel to Edmonton?

Old
06-11-2009, 01:46 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
I'd give up Gagner/Cogliano + Gilbert no problem. I'd even sub in the 10th for either one of those.
I can't see us moving Gags. He's a guy we're pegging our future on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins4Lifer View Post
Worst proposal ever.
I'm pretty sure he's a troll or a kid. All his proposal's are brutal in our favour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayMaker View Post
I like Grebeshkov. But I don't know anything about Chorney. Personally, I'd like to get a little more sizzle for Kessel than Grebs though. (And ideally, I'd like to keep him.)
I'm not sure we move Grebs. After the 1st 40games of his rookie season where he was bloody awful, he turned it 180 degrees around and you'd be hard pressed to find an Oiler fan jumping at the chance at moving him now. Rarely is a player as universally viewed on HFOil as Grebs is. Near everyone thinks we sign and keep him. He reminds me so much of a young A. Markov it isn't even funny.

Chorney(just FYI) was EJ's partner and captain of the WJC team. At UND he took the number 1 D spot from Lee(a high Sens 1st) at the same age. He's a Rafalski type. 5-11ish, but good speed, positioning, vision, passing, shooting, and smart as a whip. The type that can run a PP. He had a rough start to his rookie pro season but turned it around later. He still likely needs another season in the AHL however, but he has top 4 potential for sure. Only reason he's available is because Smid is looking really strong, Peckham is also looking good and Petry is a diamond in the rough who has all the tools to be a great top pairing guy(he's also the reason many of us are ok with losing Gilbert). Wow, that sounds teachie, I guess that's Oilers D-prospects 101. Lol

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 05:45 AM
Duponttime*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbruins1 View Post
As a B's fan I'd say it was fair, but 10th overall and gilbert is a best case scenario...aka Edmonton being desperate and overpaying.
I could see the bruins doing Gilbert + a second rounder or a decent prospect.. preferably the second rounder because for some reason the bruins are godly with second round picks.
Are you people serious? Gilbert isn't even that good. OMG! Boston's GM would laugh his butt off if he was proprosed that. They could get so much more for Kessel it's laughable.

Try Kessel for Hemsky, Gilbert, a 1st this year and a 2nd next year. That is more like it.

Duponttime* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 07:59 AM
OneSharpMarble

Yuck, the 1st rounder is overpayment for a player with inflated stats who hasnt proven anything.

Gilbert and maybe some random prospect for Kessel, thats even.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 08:17 AM
bb_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Yuck, the 1st rounder is overpayment for a player with inflated stats who hasnt proven anything.

thats your idea of even?

god, i'd hate to see your idea of a trade favoring the oil.....

bb_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 08:24 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:

It's just my opinion, but, what you proposed is a huge underpayment for Kessel. Kessel was a 1st round pick, #5 overall, he is worth at least that much now. He has proven he can score 36 goals in around 70 games in the NHL, he is one of the faster players in the league, he keeps improving every year, he has learned to play defense, he is a good forechecker, he can score big goals in the playoffs.
You just aren't going to get a player like that for less than a high 1st round pick and you would probably have to add to it because the pick is an unproven commodity while Kessel has proven he can play in the NHL and at a high level. He was on track to score close to 50 goals this season before he caught mono and it took him about 8 games to get back to playing like he was before he got sick once he was back. He is quite possibly a guy who will score 50 goals in a season sometime in the future. You have to factor that in as well if you are going to factor in any potential a draft pick would bring.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 08:39 AM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:

How are Kessel's stats inflated?

This should be interesting...

Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 08:50 AM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
It's just my opinion, but, what you proposed is a huge underpayment for Kessel. Kessel was a 1st round pick, #5 overall, he is worth at least that much now. He has proven he can score 36 goals in around 70 games in the NHL, he is one of the faster players in the league, he keeps improving every year, he has learned to play defense, he is a good forechecker, he can score big goals in the playoffs.
You just aren't going to get a player like that for less than a high 1st round pick and you would probably have to add to it because the pick is an unproven commodity while Kessel has proven he can play in the NHL and at a high level. He was on track to score close to 50 goals this season before he caught mono and it took him about 8 games to get back to playing like he was before he got sick once he was back. He is quite possibly a guy who will score 50 goals in a season sometime in the future. You have to factor that in as well if you are going to factor in any potential a draft pick would bring.
BAHAHAHA Ok no point in talking to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
How are Kessel's stats inflated?

This should be interesting...
Most of Boston had inflated stats this season. I know when you watched the Bruins beat up on those basement dwellers and slumping teams you thought they were beating all star teams but sad to say they weren't. The only other team in their division to make the playoffs was a half dead Habs team so yeah id say they had a pretty easy season.

He has one season with 35 goals and 60 points hell Plekanec had a 69 point season, I guess we can trade him for a low 1st rounder in a great draft and a top pairing Dman. Take off the brown coloured glasses, you are the ones doing the over rating here.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 08:58 AM
8BostonRocker24

Quote:

Most of Boston had inflated stats this season. I know when you watched the Bruins beat up on those basement dwellers and slumping teams you thought they were beating all star teams but sad to say they weren't. The only other team in their division to make the playoffs was a half dead Habs team so yeah id say they had a pretty easy season.

He has one season with 35 goals and 60 points hell Plekanec had a 69 point season, I guess we can trade him for a low 1st rounder in a great draft and a top pairing Dman. Take off the brown coloured glasses, you are the ones doing the over rating here.
Plekanec and Kessel are in two totally different classes of talent, if you can't see that there really is no point in trying to convince you other wise... Stats mean **** and can be made to say whatever you want them to.

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 09:05 AM
bb_fan

Quote:

brown colored glasses... thats a new one on me.

bb_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 09:11 AM
weaponomega

Quote:

So wait wait, you are saying that Boston didn't have to face the other 29 teams in the NHL. That they didn't beat the likes of Detroit, New Jersey, Pittsburgh, Anaheim, Chicago?

Your username is very funny.

weaponomega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 09:18 AM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:

As I said, how are his stats inflated? Are you suggesting Boston didn't face as many playoff teams as everyone else in the NHL, and therefore all their players point totals are inflated? How do you explain Savard's decline in points then? You would think the Bruins best forward would also benefit no?

Since you've pointed out how uneducated your opinion actually is, here's another question for you. Inflated stats would point to more PP time and therefore more PP points... so how does Kessel's PP time compare to others that score as often as he does?

Actually, I'm not confident you can answer that, so I'll help... it doesn't. Kessel scored over 70% of his goals (28 of 36) at even strength.

Although he was top 10 in GPG in the league (at the age of 21 no less), his PP time ranking puts him about 177th overall. In fact, every player that scored a like number of goals as Kessel saw substantially more PP time then he did.

Oh, and he did it in 70 games.

On another note, part of the reason those teams like Florida and Buffalo didn't make the playoffs was because they didn't do better against Boston. You're talking an 8 point separation between 4th and 10th in the East. Look up parity... the East has it.

This isn't even bringing to light Kessel's bout with Mono (check out how his play declined over the period directly after his 2 week recovery) and shoulder that needed surgery.

Old
06-11-2009, 09:30 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:

I like the way you have to take personal shots at me to try and make your point. I told you it was just my opinion.
I don't know enough about Plekanec to judge what he would be worth, but if he was coming off of a very good year, was 21 years old and showing signs of being able to improve and the only reason his numbers were not even better was that he had mono and missed a bunch of games and it took a little while for him to work himself back into shape, was good in the playoffs, etc., I would say he would be worth quite a lot.

I don't really get why you are saying Boston had inflated stats, but if that is your opinion, that's fine. I just want to point out that the Bruins rolled 4 lines all year and on many nights the 2nd or 3rd line would have more minutes than the 1st line, so it's not like Kessel was getting a huge amount of ice time compared to other guys, as a matter of fact he routinely would not be in the top 10 guys for ice time. He played on the 2nd pp unit and not at all on the pk, if he had played on the 1st pp unit and got 1:20 - 1:30 of icetime instead of 30-40- seconds, I would guess he would have had a couple of more points.

A guy who scores 36 goals in 70 games and is still improving and has shown signs that he is a real impact type of player is worth a high 1st round pick, I don't think many GM's would have a hard time giving up a #1 pick for him except for a team that stands a chance of getting a franchise type player.

If someone was to give him an offer sheet that the Bruins wouldn't match, the Bruins would likely be getting back a lot more than a #1 pick as compensation.

And by the way, the Bruins had a winning record against EVERY division.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 10:18 AM
iceless
-`ღ-

...why would the Oilers look to add yet another smallish centre to their roster, when they have a glut of them already?

iceless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 10:22 AM
8BostonRocker24

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque View Post
...why would the Oilers look to add yet another smallish centre to their roster, when they have a glut of them already?
Because they would adding someone that can turn chicken **** into chicken soup.

EDIT: Meaning, Kessel has a way of turning nothing into something. He is the most gifted offensive player I have seen in Boston in a long time. He's the 1st game-breaker Boston has had in a long, long time. Since Neely? Samsonov?

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 10:29 AM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BostonRocker24 View Post
Because they would adding someone that can turn chicken **** into chicken soup.

EDIT: Meaning, Kessel has a way of turning nothing into something. He is the most gifted offensive player I have seen in Boston in a long time. He's the 1st game-breaker Boston has had in a long, long time. Since Neely? Samsonov?
Which is why they'd be idiotic to trade them to the Oilers for anything.

Old
06-11-2009, 10:40 AM
BadBruins

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque View Post
Who said anything about a smallish center? Phil Kessel's been a winger 98% of his time in Boston.

BadBruins is offline   Reply With Quote