HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sami Lepisto

Old
06-11-2009, 09:28 AM
NYR89

vCash: 500
Sami Lepisto

I was wondering if you all could give me a little bit of info on Sami. He was amazing when he played here in Hershey and I know he was injured all this year. So, do you think he is fully recovered from his injury? If so, do you think he will be on the Caps roster next year?

NYR89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 09:34 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

I doubt he'll be on the Caps roster but I do hope that he is on an NHL roster somewhere. Washington has too much low end depth on the blueline to allow the addition of Lepisto.

BrooklynCapsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 09:39 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Yeah, I see him as a prime candidate to be traded, presumably at the draft (either packaged for a vet Dman or just for a pick, maybe to move up). With Alzner and Carlson already close to making it to the NHL (Alzner probably already there for being a full-timer, and Carlson not far behind him) and with the lack of openings on the NHL roster he'd have a very tough time making the team I think, but he certainly warrants a chance somewhere.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 09:39 AM
upstater

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR89 View Post
I was wondering if you all could give me a little bit of info on Sami. He was amazing when he played here in Hershey and I know he was injured all this year. So, do you think he is fully recovered from his injury? If so, do you think he will be on the Caps roster next year?
This is funny. I was just about to post something wondering what his trade value is. Maybe the people on this thread can come up with something for us.

upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 09:58 AM
sk84fun_dc

I am not sure what you mean in the original post by injured all this year. To clarify, Lepisto suffered a spleen injury late in the regular season in a game against WBS in early April and recently started skating with Hershey during practices trying to return from the injury. He played in 70 games for Hershey and 7 for Washington before the spleen injury this season.

He was just cleared to return to action, the question now is whether he is put back in the line-up for a finals game 6 in Manitoba.

Sami is RFA (with arb, IIRC) this summer and if a Washington Capital on the day QOs are due, I expect him to be given a QO by the Capitals. Many (including me) expect he could be traded this summer perhaps at the draft. If he is not, the question I have is does he sign his QO or show up at camp to compete for a spot without a contract keeping open an option to return to Europe. This is speculation, not based on anything I have heard or read from either side. Also, there were some rumors a month or 2 ago that a Swedish team was trying to recruit him for next season.

The question that many fans have, as has already been posted, is where Lepisto fits/or does not fit in the Capitals plans given that he fell on the depth chart this season with the other dmen prospects in the organization. He had some ups and downs in his call-ups to Washington, including a shift that resulted in a goal and his demotion (of note, the dman coach is not returning, but Boudreau made some not so favorable comments at the time, IIRC.) He has been a very solid player at the AHL level, although he did struggle after he returned from the NHL the last time; he turned it around and was playing good hockey for the Bears again until the injury, IMO.

A puck-moving dman who gets his shot through from the point and can contribute from the point on the PP. Downside in his short stints in the NHL, he has had some difficulty with bigger players in his own zone at the NHL level. I think with some regular playing time and time to adjust to the speed and size of the NHL he is a smart enough player to adjust.

His birthday is Oct 1984, so he will be 25yo soon after the start of next season. He has played 2 professional seasons in NA. He signed his ELC in May 2007. Based on my reading of the waiver rules, he will be waiver-exempt to start next season.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 10:45 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

sweet on the waiver exempt status sk8!

I wonder what his god father is telling him. Hopefully its keep moving forward.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 11:01 AM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
sweet on the waiver exempt status sk8!

I wonder what his god father is telling him. Hopefully its keep moving forward.
just my reading of the rules (nothing official)

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 11:05 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
just my reading of the rules (nothing official)
your reading + my 95% confidence + me not reading = lazy satisfaction

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 11:07 AM
bottleCAPS

Send a message via AIM to bottleCAPS Send a message via MSN to bottleCAPS Send a message via Yahoo to bottleCAPS
he wasn't a first rounder, therefore GMGM sees nothing in him.

bottleCAPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 11:53 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
IIRC of all the D injury callups last year, I think he was the only one singled out by Bruce for his miscue(s). That does not bode well for his future here. But he is a dman, so GMGM will hold onto him as long as possible.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 12:05 PM
kicksavedave
yeahright

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottleCAPS View Post
he wasn't a first rounder, therefore GMGM sees nothing in him.
Rightly so based on his track record

kicksavedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 12:08 PM
LetsGoBears

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I think he was the only one singled out by Bruce for his miscue(s).
…and how many games did Sloan play for the Caps this year?

LetsGoBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 01:44 PM
Alex28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR89 View Post
Lepisto + Fehr + Bouchard + 1st for Callahan

...Please?

Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 02:08 PM
Marukin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex28 View Post

...Please?

I was really impressed with Callahan during the Ranger series. And do think he would be a great fit on the Caps. But, I think that may be a bit of an over payment. I even think it's an overpayment if you take out the 1st, but much more reasonable.

Marukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 08:33 AM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

vCash: 50
Quote:

...Please?

Let's trade 2 good prospects, a young NHL player and a 1st round pick for a 40 point scorer.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 12:20 PM
LetsGoBears

I want to add some Caps jerseys to my collection of Sami jerseys for next year!

LetsGoBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 12:27 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:

...Please?
I love Callahan, but that's insane. You could sign him to an offer sheet the the Rags wouldn't match and give up less.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 12:29 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

I know this is HF... but Lepisto and Bouchard? They have no value. Every team has guys like that, who are mid-level prospects and have not proven themselves.

Throwing a lot of stuff at a wall isn't a trade proposal. Offer something that you'd actually miss, and better yet, off the roster. Realistically, Callahan's value is approximately that of Brooks Laich. If you don't relish the prospect of dealing Laich, then you know how the Rangers would respond to a proposal for Callahan.

On Lepisto: The Caps are either going to play this guy, develop this guy, or deal him off for something on the order of a pick in the second/third round or later. Until he's done anything in the NHL, he's a mid-level draft pick doing little else but getting older.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote